• Published 7th Sep 2019
  • 7,691 Views, 372 Comments

Spinel's New Best Friend - luckyboys121



After everything she'd done on Earth, Spinel didn't think anyone would want to be her friend the way she was

  • ...
14
 372
 7,691

Earth Interlude 1: Dude, Where's My Spinel?

As Steven looked around at the small group of Crystal Gem's working around him he only felt on edge. Despite all their efforts to calm him down, all he heard in his head since Spinel ran off yesterday was, "It's all your fault."

As he paced over to the now gutted wires of the Galaxy Warp he looked at the small legs poking out from under it as he said, "Peridot, any luck hacking into the transport history of the Warp Pad?"

Peridot grunted as she got out from under the pad and checked the tablet crudely hooked to it and said, "It would be allot easier if those stupid Diamond clods actually restored my access and rank to these kinds of files, but NO Peridot was fired for being a traitor and it's not like she's done anything that deserves our respect like helping to save the whole galaxy, OH WAIT SHE DID!" She then grunted in frustration again before returning to her work under the pad.

Afterwards Pearl poked her head out from the other side of the Warp Pad as she finished connected a few extra batteries to boost the pads signal to Homeworld and said, "I must admit Homeworld has much better firewall protocal then I thought. To bad we can't just pick up a sword and infiltrate a server farm directly like me and Rose did in the early days of the rebellion."

Steven continued to pace back and forth as he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder and looked to see Connie behind him as she said, "Steven, you've been running yourself ragged ever since Spinel disappeared. You need to take a break from this."

"She's right dude, just chill out for a bit, maybe call the Diamonds and let them handle it," said Amethyst as she briefly abandoned her task of getting more copper for Peridot's wires.

"I can't do that! You know how clingy and overprotective they can be. Last time Yellow visited Earth she used her ship to try and shoot down a bird just because it pooped on the car my dad gave me when I got my learners permit. Imagine how they'll react when I say 'hey can you help me find a gem who tried to kill me and destroy the Earth?'" said Steven in exasperation before sitting on the ground. He then sighed and finally said out loud, "Besides I have to fix this myself, It's my fault she left."

"WHAT?" said Amethyst in surprise and concern.

Connie on the other hand just sat next to him in concern as she leaned against him, resulting in a slight blush, and said, "So what's your reason for blaming yourself for something this time?"

He sighed as he said, "All she needed was someone to hug her and say they where her friend, but I was too focused on getting my stupid 'Happily Ever After' back that I didn't even think about it tell it was too late." He then let out a chuckle before saying, "I guess now I know how mom must have felt. Being selfish and making mistakes that you don't even realize are mistakes until it's way too late to fix."

Connie looked at Steven thinking about what to do as while she had been with him for many years and had learned how to calm him down a lot during that time, she had never seen him quite like this before. It occurred to her that the first thing to do might be to get him to smile as she looked at his frown and leaned towards it puckering her lips.

That was interrupted though as Steven suddenly shot up saying, "WAIT MY MOM!" He then ran back to the Warp Pad as he looked at the two working on it saying, "Pearl, do you remember any of my mom's old access codes?"

"Hmm, well yes but they can't still work.... can they?" said Pearl as she got up in confusion.

Peridot then got up as she used her metal powers to push the tablet over to Pearl saying, "It's worth a try."

"Alright, but I doubt this will," began Pearl as they all watched her type in YPXBP before being greeted by this desktop image.

This resulted in them all blushing as Pearl quickly clicked a program to get off it and smiled nervously saying, "Um, Pink apparently saw Yellow Pearl and Blue Pearl laughing about something during Court and became convinced that they were secretly a couple and started drawing pictures like that and writing stories about them in her spare time... which she unfortunately had A LOT of at that point."

"So YPXBP stands for," said Peridot being familiar with shipping terms thanks to the Camp Pining Hearts fan forums.

"Yellow Pearl X Blue Pearl," said Pearl in further embarrassment as she said, "Can we just move on now."

Steven was the first to get serious again as he said, "Right, can you look up the warps history and see where Spinel went?"

"R-right," said Pearl as she began typing on the tablet, "Just got to find our warp ID and look at the last place it went and." A notification popped up resulting in Pearl being visibly confused as she said, "No, this can't be right?"

"What?" asked Steven as he looked towards her.

She then turned the tablet towards him and Peridot as it simply displayed one word.

"Equis? What the heck kind of planet is that?" said Peridot in confusion as she had spent literal years studying the Gem Empire's star maps and had never seen such a planet on them.

"It's a failed colony by Yellow... but that's just it, it's a failed colony, she shouldn't have been able to warp there... unless maybe an outside surge hit the local pad causing it to briefly activate," said Pearl.

"So we can't warp there?" said Peridot concerned.

"I'm afraid not, unless we get lucky and another surge hits, but considering this is the first known one in 8000 years I don't think it's a very good option," said Pearl as she looked up in thought.

"Well... you know where it is right?" said Steven.

"Well... yes," said Pearl not sure where Steven was going with this.

He on the other hand smiled as he said, "Well no problem, we'll just use the Legs."

"Oh of course," said Pearl as she smacked her head, in frustration saying, "Why didn't I think of that."

This resulted in Connie and Amethyst jumping up next to Steven as they all smiled and made mental preparations for the up coming trip.

All except for Peridot who scratched her head and laughed nervously saying, "Yeah... about the Legs."

A moment later in Little Homeworld

"WHAT DID YOU DO!" said Steven in pure shock, while Pearl covered her mouth so she wouldn't scream at what had happened to Pink's personal ship.

"Well... you said you wanted Little Homeworld up as fast as possible and this Earth construction equipment wasn't going to cut it," said Peridot as beads of sweat started to form on her forehead, and she scratched her face nervously. "And well, since we have the Warp Pad, I didn't think you'd mind if I BORROWED a few parts from the legs to make new equipment."

"YOU CALL THIS A FEW!" said Steven as he gestured to the Pink skeletal structure that was once one of Homeworld's greatest star ships.

"Well, look on the bright side... look that Stabilizer Panel is still functional, so it's not like we have to rebuild the whole thing," said Peridot as she pointed to the one solid piece left on it with an encouraging smile.

That smile soon faded as the panel detached and Lapis emerged from the other side holding it as she yelled, "YO BISMUTH! I GOT THE STABILIZING PANEL YOU ASKED FOR," before flying off carrying it towards the center of town.

"CAN WE AT LEAST STOP TAKING IT APART!" said Steven further frustrated at the fact that it looked like Spinel's rescue was still a long ways away. He sighed and thought to himself, "Don't worry Spinel, I'll find you and be the friend you deserve... in the meantime I just hope your safe," he thought as he had flashbacks to all the creatures on the jungle moon and what could be on this Equis planet.


Meanwhile at Sugarcube Corner

Spinel shook her dice cup before pouring it on the ground and, after seeing the results, excitedly yelled, "YAHTZEE!"

Author's Note:

Picture created by starduskSK on DeviantArt, go check out their work.

Just a quick chapter showing some of what's happening on Earth while Spinel is in Equestria. Hope you all liked it, any constructive criticism is welcome, have a great day... again since I know for some of you this is coming out the same day as my last chapter, lol.