• Published 4th Sep 2019
  • 1,453 Views, 13 Comments

Bug in the Rosebush - Snowliasion



Pharynx is sent to Ponyville, what could go wrong?

  • ...
4
 13
 1,453

Roses are red

I should have known there was a catch when Thorax sent me, me to the pony village as the changeling ambassador. He’s certainly laughing his chitin off by now.

What an absolutely annoying place Ponyville is. They live seemingly without a care, going about their daily business while not even slightly concerned about the monster ridden forest right next to their homes.

Still, Princess Twilight assured me that it was nothing to worry about, That she and her friends knew how to handle a random monster attack or two.

Well if I ruled this village I’d have stationed guards near the forest edge, or would simply burn the evil place to cinders. But nooo, that’s far too violent Pharynx, monsters have a right to exist too. Bah!

WBut then while I crossed the local market place after one of my numerous discussions with the local alicorn, I saw her. The very second I laid my eyes on this mare I felt a strange feeling in my chest that I had never experienced before in my life.

Her mere presence made me relax and forget the small annoyances I was suffering, her beautiful two-toned red and pink mane a delight to see, her creamy pelt well groomed and sleek, but the most entrancing factor were her warm kind green eyes which radiated keen alertness but also great joy.

I decided right then and there that I needed to know who this marvelous specimen of ponykind was and how I could compliment her on her mere existence but just approaching her like that wouldn’t do.

So, trotting up to a carrot selling mare I tried to put on what I hoped was a friendly smile and cleared my throat.

She looked up from her work with a smile in turn and angled her ears forward attentively. “Yes? Can I help you mister changeling? Some carrots maybe?”

I shook my head and pointed a hoof at the mare I had been looking at, my wings shifting nervously/excitedly/whatever. “Would you know who that pony is?

After following my hoof she flicked her ears a little. “You mean Roseluck? She, Lily and Daisy grow and sell flowers to Ponyville and Canterlot. Why, did you need something?

“Oh I was merely curious, she looks very pleasant and it caught my attention.” Empathizing my words with a grin.” Changeling and such.

The carrot farmer stared at me for a second and nodded with a mischievous smirk. “Well their flower shop is near Sugarcube Corner you know? Could always head over there and well, ask her? Or wait ‘till she’s less busy here.”

My wings made an anxious buzz as I shook my head. “Oh no that is fine, I wouldn’t want to disturb her on a busy market day. I’ll um go visit their shop later, yes.”

The carrot mare gave me a shrug and a nod, before returning to place bushels of her produce on the stands to offer her clients. “Suit yourself bug boy, they should be done around five.”

Let me tell you, waiting around for three hours feels exceptionally long if you’re looking forward to something. In the meanwhile I strolled around town to find where the flower shop was in advance, being the good scout I am.

It wasn’t all that hard to find really, Sugarcube Corner stood out like a bear in a group of chickens. The flower shop itself was unsurprisingly surrounded with flowers and other plants, a modest greenhouse visible just behind the building and the numerous flowerbeds.Making my way over I saw what could only be Roseluck’s hoofwork, several bushes covered in beautiful roses that were clearly cared for with the utmost care.

Not able to resist the temptation I nibbled on one of the flowers. Despite rarely ever having flowers, I knew that these were the best that I had ever eaten in my life. If Roseluck wasn’t swimming in bits yet she undoubtedly would be soon if anypony sampled this treat.

That was the moment I got an idea, a completely flawless idea. While focusing on the rose bushes I let green flames wash over my body, adopting a perfectly similar shape as the bush nearest to me. Now it was time to play the waiting game.

It didn’t take too long to hear the sound of three babbling mares. Roseluck and her two companions returned and unloaded the mostly empty cart of flowers.

“Daisy, you two can go ahead and prepare dinner while I’ll water and take care of the flowers behind the house, alright?” Roseluck said and headed my way.

“Sure thing Rose.” the mare who had to be Daisy, replied while she and the third earth pony of their group headed into the shop.

This gave me the perfect moment to talk to Roseluck alone! When she stopped by the rose bushes I poked her flank with one of my vines and greeted her with a cheerful “Hello!” Unfortunately this startled the mare badly and she threateningly held a pair of hedge clippers while turning around.


“Oh gosh I’m so sorry!” Roseluck cried for the third time while I cringed and looked at the top half of my horn laying in the dirt.

I gave the horn a poke and blinked again. “This did not go as planned.” I muttered, “Then again, perhaps I could have handled that differently.”

Mild anger mixed in with the taste of guilt as Roseluck’s ears pinned back against her mane. “You think!? What in Celestia’s name made you decide it was a good idea to scare a pony like that?” She said with an indignant snort.

“To be fair I found you very interesting when I saw you at the market today, so I wanted to stop by and say hello.” I replied, somewhat taken aback.

Invading my personal space, she stepped up to me and pressed her nose to mine, eyes burning with anger. “Then come up to me and say hello! Don’t mimic one of my plants and give me half a heart attack, I could have seriously injured you!”

She had a point there, and my own ears fell back in submission. She was a little intimidating when angry and I did remember that angry earth ponies could pack a mean kick. “I’m sorry miss Roseluck.” I mumbled while averting my gaze.

She took a step back and glared at me for a few seconds longer, then took pity on me as her scowl made room for a more neutral expression. “I swear, you changelings make no sense sometimes,” She said with a sigh. ”First Ocellus pretending to be a rock and now you pretending to be one of my plants. What is your name anyway? You seem to know mine”

“My name is Pharynx.” I replied, “My brother, Thorax sent me here as an ambassador to discuss things with Princess Twilight.”

She nodded and gave me a half smile. “Well Pharynx I’m a little upset right now, but if you still want to talk to me you can make up for this fiasco by treating me to lunch tomorrow?” She offered.

I nodded and bowed my head slightly, but kept my gaze away from my half severed horn. “It would be a pleasure miss Roseluck.”

“Alright, see you tomorrow then, and no more surprises that nearly decapitate you!” She playfully warned, at least I hope it was playful.

I quickly nodded with a sheepish smile. “Promise.” She then turned around and made her way into the building, no doubt off to tell her friends of the encounter in the garden.


The next afternoon I found myself waiting in front of the flower shop, it was nearly noon and as agreed I would take Roseluck out for lunch. Hopefully Thorax gave me enough bits for lunch, I wasn’t quite sure how prices were around here.

I didn’t need to wait long as soon the door opened and met with my second case of entrancement this week. Roseluck had groomed her mane and pelt to perfection, while she wore the cutest shawl and tail ribbon ever. “What?”she asked with a smile, “You changelings not fond of accessories?”

I picked my jaw up from the floor and shook my head. “Nothing, on the contrary it suits you very well, you look fantastic.”

With a sly flick of her tail she trotted up to me and gave my cheek a nuzzle. “Why thank you for the compliment Pharynx, shall we get going?”

“We shall, miss Roseluck.” I smiled and led the way towards a nice little place I discovered yesterday.

“You know you can just call me Rose, Pharynx.” the mare giggled while keeping pace with me. “Though I do have a few questions once we are there.”

“That is fair.”I nodded and tried to remember if it was after the first or the second store on the left.

Le Bistro Savoir was a fancy pony place, and the perfect opportunity to apologize to Rose about the day before. Even though the seats were bales of hay, the tables had a nice pattern and were covered with the most detailed tablecloths I had witnessed thus far.

The owner Savoir Fare quickly ushered us to a table with a pair of menus before taking our order of drinks and leaving us to pick what we desired for lunch.

“So…” Rose began, “ Why did you basically trespass onto our property just to disguise yourself as a bush and make me jump out of my skin? Surely not just to say hello to me after seeing me at the market?”

I stared at her and nervously worked my jaws a little. “Well that was actually the reason pretty much, I thought you looked very beautiful and wanted to say hello when you weren’t busy.”

She blinked as she laid one hoof over the other and rested her chin atop of them. “Beautiful? You see a mare for the first time, so you decide to sneak into her in her backyard just to say hello and compliment her?”

“Um.. yes?” I replied, not really seeing the issue in the matter. How else would you approach somepony?

“And you didn’t think that doing such might scare the pony in question, and in this instance shear half of your horn off?” She frowned.

I looked up at the missing half of my horn, in hindsight I might regret that decision a little. These things grow back… right?

Roseluck ran a hoof down her face with a sigh and looked me in the eye. “Pharynx that is a horrible way to approach a pony, or say hello, or make your feelings known.”

“I realize that now.” I readily agreed with another sheepish smile.

Savoir returned with our drinks, I wasn’t sure what was considered good pony food, so I just ordered the same as Roseluck, why she kept staring at me I did not know..

“Tell you what, if you Pinkie promise not to do such a thing again I think I’d be willing to help you to properly socialize with other ponies. And perhaps hear you out on why you find me so fascinating over dinner.” she giggled. That was a good sign, I think!

Nodding I smiled at her, thinking that was an excellent idea. “That is more than acceptable Rose.”

Author's Note:

Here's your story Blessed, hope you liked it.

Comments ( 13 )

Roses are red
changelings are blue
but only if you-
want them too!

I gave it a shot and i failed!

Pharynx throughout this entire story:
giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/146YGDTNec3C7e/200.gif

So, you hope I like something written by you, that has two of my top favorite characters starring in it, and was as adorable and hilarious as your usual works (Which I love) despite you being out of your comfort zone to do it? Do I even need to say anything else? :rainbowlaugh:

In all honesty, I can't thank you enough for this, Snowliasion. Participating in that little contest was stressful as heck, but fun, and to be rewarded for having chaotic fun with this? It doesn't get much better than that. This is going on the profile page. Thank you so much for this.

So bloody adorable...

Nice to see you writing again, Snow!

Short but sweet, with some amusing dialogue. You got Pharynx pretty much in character for not understanding pony customs and for his blunt directness. My only real criticism is that his falling for Rose at first sight is a bit rushed; I'm not really sold on him falling for her.

But this was a fun read, and most of all, I'm glad to see you still writing! Good job! Will you be continuing this?

9819189
It was a short story as reward with a maximum word count, so I tried my best. :twilightsmile:

9816787
Could have been worse.

I'd like to see how the second date goes.

Good story. Please write one more.

Bizarre character choice

What an absolutely annoying place Ponyville is. They live seemingly without a care, going about their daily business while not even slightly concerned about the monster ridden forest right next to their homes.

Oh no Pharynx they do get monster attacks there just use to it like what lyra just said

Aww thats a cute story 😍

And This is an interesting shipping here i like it

Aw, that was cute!

Login or register to comment