• Published 10th Oct 2019
  • 1,265 Views, 7 Comments

The High Price of Kindness - Bronyxy



How far would Fluttershy go to save a life? What would she give to deliver redemption? When she is faced with a critically injured Queen Chrysalis, she has to make life changing decisions that will test her beliefs to the limit, and beyond.

  • ...
2
 7
 1,265

1 The Bird has Flown

As they watched the majestic white and gold carriage pull away through throngs of adoring ponies, the friends all shared a last joke and basked in the afterglow of a day that, despite a few minor hiccups, such as a changeling invasion, had gone remarkably well. They didn’t have to worry about catching the last train to Ponyville because they were all staying as guests of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in the Royal Castle, so set about getting back to the party or catching up with friends as was their choosing.

Pinkie Pie rushed back to help Vinyl Scratch with the entertainment, while Rainbow Dash made her way straight to a group of Wonderbolts to try and get herself noticed, especially as she had pulled off another sonic rainboom especially for the occasion. Fluttershy went to check on her bird choir, suddenly feeling a pang of guilt that since all the excitement of performing at two weddings interspersed with the unveiling and defeat of an invasion, she had rather left them to their own devices.

She turned on her hooves and galloped back towards the castle, guilt and self-recrimination feeding her sense of foreboding with every hoofstep she took, fearing worse and worse scenarios for the birds’ fate. Finally she reached the throne room and sped through the open doors into the midst of a party, the guests all turning to see what the source of the commotion could be. Stopping dead, she suddenly let out an “Eeeep!”, for where the birds’ stand had been was now a table laden with a range of exotic hors d’oeuvres.

Hovering on the edge of panic, she quickly turned this way and that, desperate for some clue as to where they could have gone.

The smartly dressed Maître d’ saw the consternation afflicting his latest arrival and quickly trotted over to both calm her and reassure the other guests.
“What appears to be the matter?” he asked in his most courteous and empathetic voice.
“My birds … my birds, where are they please? There are seven of them on a black perch in front of my music stand …” she blurted, ”They will all be worried I have abandoned them, and scared they won’t be going home again. Oh, they will be so upset …”

“Actually, Miss” he began, “We had to move them as we set out the buffet. We tried to find you, but …”
“Where are they?” she interrupted abruptly, desperation burning behind her eyes.
“We moved their perch to the Royal Veterinarian’s quarters where there is a view overlooking the celebrations, so they could be free to go and join in if they wished.”
“Was the Royal Veterinarian there to look after them?” she pushed, her voice rising by an octave.
“Yes; he knew how hard you worked today and what with your having so bravely helped fight off the changelings as well, he was happy to help out.”
“Would you take me to him please?” she asked, her conscience visibly easing, Sorry, I’m just a little worried is all. They were all so excited to be at the wedding and I’ve taken such bad care of them. Oh, I will be so happy to see them all again. I do hope they will forgive me …”

“You have nothing to worry about, Miss” he reassured, “Please, follow me and I will show you the way.”
“Oh, thank you; you must think I’m so silly.”
“Not at all. It’s a privilege to serve one of the Element Bearers.”
They shared a smile and as he led her from the throne room, the conversations that had been paused while the drama played out, all starting up once more with a few embarrassed laughs.

The Maître d’ lit his horn for her reassurance and showed the timid pegasus through the labyrinth of corridors in the castle, noticing her anxiety start to melt away as a smile began slowly to replace the fear and worry that had been written all over her muzzle only a few minutes previously. When they reached a door with a distinctive snake logo that Fluttershy knew, she beamed happily and once he had knocked, she leaned in and gave him a grateful hug.

An elderly stallion opened the door slowly, adjusting his spectacles to see who was visiting him at this hour. He stared at the primrose pegasus and once his eyes had focused, he broke into a broad grin.
“Ah, Miss Fluttershy, I presume. My name is Dr Jean-Paul Suture, welcome to my consulting room. I suspect you’ve come here to check on your birds. They’ve been delightful company, you know; so nice to have healthy animals come to visit for a change, rather than ones that need to be patched up!”

Fluttershy froze.

She counted again.

“Where’s Constance?” she asked tentatively, fear creeping back into her voice once more.
“What?” queried the elderly veterinarian.
“There should be seven birds. There are only six. Where’s Constance?” she fretted, ”She’s orange and a beautiful singer with six growing chicks at home!”

“Let’s see now” he said, turning to face the birds and moving his muzzle closer to see more clearly, counting slowly out loud, ”One purple, one red, one pink, two green and one brown. No; no orange. Are you sure?”
“Of course I’m sure!” she replied, spiralling into panic, “She’s missing! Oh no, what am I going to do?”

A loud trill suddenly pierced her shredded self-confidence.

“What is it, Mister Green Jay?” she asked, regaining just a sufficient veneer of composure to listen to her songbird friend.
“You say she went out with a friend? Who was that please, Sir? When did she say she would be back?”
A series of cheeps indecipherable to any creature except for birds and Fluttershy followed each of her questions.
“Oh, my” she gasped, settling back onto her haunches wearing a stunned expression.

“What is it, Miss?” asked the Maître d’, who had decided to stay in case he could help the demure pegasus.
“Apparently a cousin of hers came to see the wedding and recognised her voice in the bridal fanfare, so came back later to see if she would be free to meet the rest of his family. But now it’s late and its dark out there and I’m really worried …”
“Do you know which way she went?” he asked, giving her something positive to focus on.
A few cheeps later and Fluttershy had her answer.

She gulped.

“Into the forest” she whispered, eyes growing wide as she stared transfixed in fear.
“Perhaps some of the guards would help with a search party?” he suggested.
“Do you really think they would?” she asked hesitantly.
“After you and your friends saved Canterlot, I think they might” he said with a smile, “But, don’t you think you should close the window to stop any of the others getting out?”
“Oh, no” Fluttershy objected, ”Just in case Constance returns. I wouldn’t want her to find she was shut out. She also might hurt herself trying to get back in, the poor dear.”

“So, you’re going to go off hunting your missing orange bird then?” asked Dr Suture.
“Yes, I must” confirmed Fluttershy resolutely, “Now, my little friends, please don’t any more of you go flying off. It’s bad enough Constance is missing, and I really don’t want to lose anyone else.”
Once she had got cheeps of agreement from the six remaining birds, she turned to the Maître d’ and smiled, “I’m ready now.”

They left for the garrison to ask a favour from the Night Guard, noticing how many ponies they passed were in a holiday spirit. She was a bit more happy, sort of; she wasn’t on the point of panic any longer and that was a definite improvement.

She found the company of the Maître d’ to be very comforting, but even his presence did nothing to diminish the anxiety she felt for her little bird friend. The more she tried to convince herself that nothing bad would have happened to her, the more she feared all the possible scenarios that could have befallen her, from simply getting lost to being eaten by a dragon, or worse. Simply for the support his presence gave her, she reached over and gave him a little hug, just to say thank you.

He smiled at the gesture and turned to her.
“You know, Miss” he said, “I can’t see you wanting to remain here while the guards do a search for your bird. I only met you a few minutes ago and already I know you’ll be out there with them and probably won’t return until she’s found.”
She blushed and looked up into his eyes, seeing them sparkle more noticeably than ponies’ eyes generally did.

“Yes, you’re right there” she replied, “Constance means a lot to me, but I would do the same for any of the birds or the other animals I look after.”
“I should have liked to accompany you, Miss; to keep you safe, you understand” he lamented, casting an eye mournfully over his bare back, “Only I wasn’t gifted with wings.”
“I would have liked that too” she said blushing an even deeper crimson, and finding herself somehow unable to meet his gaze.

“My name’s Silver Salver, Miss” said the unicorn.
“I’m Fluttershy” she whispered meekly.
“I know. I’ve followed the exploits of you and the other Element Bearers.”
“I’m very lucky to have such good friends” she spoke up, suddenly regaining her voice as she reaffirmed her loyalty to them.
“And they’re very lucky to have you as a friend too” he remarked, watching her blush all over again, “Anyway, we’re here now.”
“Oh, I hadn’t realised …” she trailed off looking back up into his eyes, “Thank you.”
“You’re welcome, Miss Fluttershy” he replied, leaving her feeling quite breathless even though she hadn’t been exerting herself.
They looked at each other without saying a word, just long enough for some spark to pass between them, but not so long as to appear disturbing.

“Would you like me to knock on the door for you?” he asked, realising that such a task may be taxing for one so timid.
“Oh could you?” she replied, comforted by knowing that he was prepared to talk to the rather solidly built and heavily armoured castle guards on her behalf.
“OK, leave this to me” he said with an air of quiet command, turning to rap on the door.
“Yes?” replied an authoritative voice.

***

Silver Salver stood in front of the duty sergeant and explained Fluttershy’s concerns for her missing bird, highlighting the importance with which Princess Celestia regarded the happiness of the Element Bearers, especially as they had just saved Canterlot. To his credit, the guard took the request seriously and invited the visitors in while he summoned his senior Officer.

They waited, him looking at ease in a military environment and her, shrinking behind him as all the imposing looking guards performed tasks with clockwork precision around them.

“Miss, Sir?” came a voice from behind them, causing her to jump with a shrill “Eeeep!
“Lieutenant Nocturne at your service” the thick set Bat Pony introduced himself, “I have been informed of your predicament and the importance that is attached to such a request for assistance, but please bear in mind we are all regrouping following the fight with the changelings earlier today and are not in a position to spare as many members of the Night Guard as I should like.”
“But you can help the lady” stated Silver Salver, not as a question, but more as a fait accompli.
“Yes, of course” he replied, “Happy to help, Sir.”

Lieutenant Nocturne perused a list of Bat Ponies on his clipboard, flipping through sheets, each of which listed the individuals in a platoon; there were far too many identified with crosses against their names for comfort, indicating they had been injured. He stroked his chin pensively with a forehoof and stared off into space, clearly performing a calculation of some kind.

“I can spare two dozen” he announced, “But no more.”
“Oh, thank you” Fluttershy gushed, as a smile spread across Silver Salver's muzzle, delighted to hear she had finally found her voice.
“Shall I leave you in Lieutenant Nocturne’s capable hooves now, Miss?” he asked.
“Thank you” she replied sweetly, “You’ve been very kind.”
“Do come and tell me how you get on, won’t you?” he said, as he turned to leave.
“Pinkie Promise” she said, flashing him a warm smile.
He stopped for a second then looked back at her quizzically.
“I’ll explain later” she promised.

“Right Ma’am” said Lieutenant Nocturne, “If you would care to come with me, I’ll introduce you to the team who’ll be working with you tonight.”
“Yes, Sir!” she replied, a hint of self-confidence peeping out from behind the obelisk of her meekness as she followed him out.

Lieutenant Nocturne stood proudly on a podium in the courtyard in front of the Night Guard chosen for the search and rescue mission; Fluttershy standing by his side, rather than completely hidden by the shadow he cast.

The two dozen Bat Ponies stood to attention, their polished light purple armour glinting in the flickering torchlight as their mission was detailed for them, their officer leaving no doubt as to the seriousness of their duty. They all listened intently; partly out of military discipline, but also because she was a popular pin-up following her brief stint as a model, although she would have been mortified to have known that little detail.

Her popularity meant that there was going to be some rivalry to see who would be paired up to search with her, and all paid very close attention to the details as their partners were announced and they were allocated to different areas around Canterlot. In the end, all hopes and expectations were dashed as Lieutenant Nocturne himself confirmed he would be escorting her personally.

Fluttershy then described what Constance looked like, how she sounded and even her favourite songs, in fact anything that could be useful as they looked for her. When she had finished, Lieutenant Nocturne ordered the Bat Ponies into their pairs and despatched them into their search areas, confirming that one from each pair should check in at the Royal Castle every half hour just in case Constance had been found. They saluted smartly and took off in their pairs into the deep velvet sky, following which Lieutenant Nocturne turned to his honoured guest, “Ready?”

She looked up into the night sky with more than a little trepidation. Princess Luna had raised a new moon especially for the wedding celebrations, just to make sure the stars could be seen at their brightest, and they did make a truly beautiful display. But, although the stars were really bright, the new moon provided no light at all, and that was dark and more than a little bit scary. She gave an involuntary shiver and leaned in just a little to the Lieutenant beside her. Given the choice, she would have stayed inside and been getting ready for bed, but her friend was missing, and she wouldn’t be able to rest until she knew she was safe, so looked up into his eyes and mustered all of her courage.

“Ready” she replied.

Lieutenant Nocturne flapped his powerful wings and lifted gently into the air, limiting himself to the weaker flying ability of his special guest, as he steered them towards their search area.
“Right” he said, after a brief delay ”Soon as you’re ready you can start to call to your friend.”

Fluttershy looked down over the houses where so many more lights than usual remained on at this late hour. Ponies were still celebrating the day’s events with a fervour not just borne of happiness for the newlywed Royals, but also for still being alive following the narrow defeat of the changeling invasion.

There was no doubting that the inhabitants of Canterlot and all the visitors that had arrived for the wedding had earned their celebrations, but Fluttershy wished with all her heart they could do it a little more quietly.

The sporadic sounds of revelry from the many groups of friends set on partying through until dawn, broke like tidal waves across the streets; their raucous sounds spilling out to completely dominate the silence of the night.

Fluttershy winced as she strained to listen for Constance, imagining her trapped or injured, and summoning the last of her energy to make the tiniest of cheeps that would be destined to be washed away, unheard and unanswered.

Slowly their search took them away from the city centre and out across the suburbs towards the woods beyond. The further out they went, the fewer parties they encountered and the less were the interruptions, so the quicker they were able to cover ground.

They had only finished the first few sweeps of the woods when Lieutenant Nocturne reminded Fluttershy that one of them would have to go back and report as agreed whilst the other stayed behind, offering her the choice. She was nervous; she didn’t want to stay by herself in this creepy dark wood, but also she didn’t want to feel intimidated by all the other big guards whom she didn’t know and would have to talk with.

In the end, she hung her head and allowed one of her deep blue eyes to peep out from behind her pink mane.
“I’ll stay here” she said, struggling to keep her rising panic under control, her fear of meeting others trumping her fear of dark scary woods, but it had been a close run decision.
“Are you sure, Ma’am? “he asked, getting a timid “uh-huh” and a slight nod of her head in response before he turned and flew back to Canterlot Castle.