• Published 3rd Sep 2019
  • 12,933 Views, 2,513 Comments

Complications - Hiver



Sometimes everything goes smoothly. Most of the time there are complications, especially when it comes to royal weddings.

  • ...
34
 2,513
 12,933

Chapter 25

The dream was of a training field. Dusty ground, stone buildings all around, the flag of the Storm King hanging from the biggest one.

As I stepped out into the dream, Tempest Shadow went flying, passing through my dream image to land on the ground, knocking dust into the air.

One of the large yeti/baboon creatures that was with her in the attack, backed away, squeezing his quarterstaff.

She laid there for a moment before struggling up.

She looked… younger than before. Maybe fourteen... fifteen… maybe sixteen? She also looked completely exhausted but what stood out to me was her lack of a cutie mark.

That was really old not to have one.

Gritting her teeth, her broken horn sparkled and she rushed at him again.

Hmm.

Watching her fight against her… trainer? I focused on the deeper layers of her dream. I needed something to free Cadence and Chrysalis.

I needed to…

Hmh. Her name isn’t really Tempest Shadow.

Her name is Fizzlepop Berrytwist.

I suppose I would have picked something else too if I was trying to be intimidating. Difficult to be the dark enforcer of an evil tyrant with a name like that.

Fluffles, the terrible!

Potentially useful, but not what I was looking for. Okay, guide the dream in the right direction. Danger, magic… dark stone?

To subtly guide dreams in the direction you like is more of an artform than a science. It’s all about connections and mental pathways.

I could of course poke her and try to force her to tell me what I wanted to know, but this could potentially be more useful without having her remember that I could do this.

The dream shifted around me and was replaced by three fillies in a forest.

I really doubted this was what I was looking for. Fizzlepop I could recognize from the group, her colouration standing out against their lighter colours, one green, the other blue.

They didn’t seem to be paying much attention to the forest around them as they threw a ball around.

Memory. This was another memory dream, not a fiction.

The surroundings blurred. There was a roar, a flash of remembered pain. Darkness. Stars moving and shimmering in a blue mist. The dream shifted all around.

Sunlight this time.

Fizzlepop were alone this time, her friends playing with other ponies. Her horn broken. She had been crying.

As interesting as seeing the supervillain origin story might be and might make me feel a bit sorry for her, it wasn’t why I was here. Still… to be hurt like that at such a young age…

I shook my head.

I tried again. Focusing, I nudged her dream. Less trauma, more magic. Stone.

The dream shifted, blurring to reveal a tower with books and scrolls. Stepping forward, I looked around slowly. Thick grey stones, a fireplace roaring by one wall.

Outside it was dark and cloudy, the wind howling against the tower.

Despite the fire, the place was chilly.

Fizzlepop were sitting by a desk close to the fire, candles lit, a thick book before her, wearing a cloak. She was older now, looking about the same as she did now.

I moved over, looking over her shoulder. As they tend to do in dreams, the images and text on the images blurred and shifted constantly. To find out anything specific, I would need to solidify the dream. That would reveal for her that I was here.

Turning my head at a shift of the dream, there was a couple of seconds before the door slammed open and a figure stalked inside.

Same primate creature as the ones that attacked, but this one wasn’t as bulky. He was wearing a cloak over a set of dark armour and a crown with black horns, not the face masks of the soldiers.

“Tempest, my dear,” he said without pause, “You promised results by now!”

“And I have them, your highness,” she answered and shifted of her seat to bow before she looked up at him, standing up straight again, “Martalans Petrifying Petrification. The spell is perfect and can be performed beforehoof, even an alicorn won't be able to dispel it on their own.”

“Excellent! Continue like this and I will give you back your horn. As soon as I have the magic of the princesses.”

So that’s was it.

That’s the name of the spell that turned them to stone. But an alicorn won’t be able to dispel it their own. Which meant several might be able to.

Besides, with the name, I bet the Sparkles will be able to find it.

Turning, I walked out of the silvery portal and exited the dream.