• Published 3rd Sep 2019
  • 12,957 Views, 2,513 Comments

Complications - Hiver



Sometimes everything goes smoothly. Most of the time there are complications, especially when it comes to royal weddings.

  • ...
34
 2,513
 12,957

Chapter 19

Two days.

Just two days left. Two days until the wedding and everypony was going nuts about it. The papers were nuts about it, the castle staff were crazy and guests from all across the world had been arriving for days.

Closing my eyes, I took a slow deep breath, just listening to the wind and the birds, letting my wings and the rest of my body just… relax for a moment.

To just forget about everything for a second, to have a chance to breathe. Luna was as busy with things as I was.

Only time I had even seen her this week was when we were sleeping. Which was nice, but it wasn’t the same thing.

Right now, I just kind of wanted this to be over with. I would have been just as happy, happier even if we had just had a small ceremony with our friends. But I knew Luna wanted a big wedding… and not like we really had a choice in the matter anyway. Luna was royalty, it was going to be a royal wedding.

Those are never small.

Hell, look at Cadence's wedding, and she wasn't even one of the two oldest Princesses. At the time, she had not even been that well known.

This would make hers look simple and small.

I just needed a small break from it all before my brain melted. Just a couple of minutes alone to…

“O-oh…”

Blinking my eyes open, I looked over to see a yellow pegasus with pink hair shy back, “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t know a-anypony was here. I-I’ll go.”

I smiled and shook my head, “It’s fine, Miss Fluttershy. Trying to get away from the general chaos in the castle too?”

Her ears flicked, “I… yes, Lord Page…” she said softly, seemingly hiding behind her mane a bit, “It’s too… many ponies.”

I sighed, “Yeah, I know. That’s why I’m hiding here too.”

There was a rustle in the undergrowth and Fern emerged with a small log in his jaws, branch tail wagging as he spotted Fluttershy.

She gasped and took a step back, “I-I heard you… had a pet Timberwolf.”

“Don’t worry, he’s perfectly safe,” I reassured her, “I promise.”

Fluttershy looked unsure for a moment and I got up, moving up to him to scratch the side of his neck, causing him to lean into it before rolling onto his back.

You big ball of goofy leaves.

“See?” I asked, “He’s harmless.”

Fluttershy slowly approached, “I've never seen a tame timberwolf before,” she said softly, “What does he eat?”

“Mostly water and sunlight,” I said as I watched her get closer, soon getting the double vision I got last time I saw her up close. One was the illusion wrapped around her, that of a yellow pegasus. The other was what she looked like for real. A yellow bat pony with small cute fangs and slightly fuzzy ears.

“But he does need some nutritional supplements from time to time,” I continued, “Mostly fish and he has a bowl of dirt up in our rooms.”

She moved up to me to look up at the somewhat goody looking timberwolf as he tried to lean against me, finding it difficult as I couldn’t really hold him up, “Do you prune him?”

“A little,” I admitted, “but he doesn't need much, really. Just removal of dead leaves and stray branches. I think that and the much better food he’s getting here is why he doesn't smell like the wild ones.”

She smiled up at Fern, “Isn’t nature fascinating?”

“It can be,” I agreed and then pulled an apple out of my satchel by the tree with my magic, “Apple?”

Her eyes locked onto it instantly and she swallowed, “I-if you don’t mind?”

“Of course not,” I said before I sighed, “...Miss Fluttershy, I have to admit that I am aware of your true nature.”

She froze, the apple halfway to her muzzle and her ears going to the sides as her eyes grew wide.

I quickly shook my head, “Relax, the fact that you are a batpony isn’t a bad thing. And not something anypony other than Luna and myself know of.”

“H-how…” she managed to choke out and I sighed,

“It’s part of how I’m an Alicorn. I can see through your disguise,” I explained softly, “I just… felt like it’s only fair that I should let you know. Do you know the history?”

“M-my mother told me,” Fluttershy stuttered, hiding behind her mane again, “I-I… after I… at w-when getting my mark…”

“That must have been scary,” I said and sat down, Fern sinking down to lay next to me, “But I promise neither of us will tell anypony about it. Besides, why do you think the Nightguard pegasus use armour making them look like batponies? Originally it was to create a refuge were real batponies could feel safe.”

“O-oh.”

I nodded, “So, I just felt like you deserved to know that I knew… and if you want to talk, you can always come to myself or Luna about it.”

Fluttershy nodded a bit and looked between me, Fern and the apple she started to nibble at the fruit, “...Thank you, L-lord Page.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I told her and dug out another apple and cutting it in half with my magic, flipping one half of it to Fern as I took a bite out of my half.