• Published 1st Sep 2019
  • 2,228 Views, 282 Comments

No Longer Living In A Van Down By The River - Peni Parker



Since The Dazzlings agreed to be motivational speakers at CHS they're no longer living in a van down by the river, but the job may make them wish they still were.

  • ...
2
 282
 2,228

Sonata and Flash Sentry

“So I say, ‘Are you serious right now?’ And she says, she says right back at me, she says…” Sonata Dusk rambled.

“Who are you and why are you talking to me?” Sugarcoat confusingly asked.

Sonata was currently walking to CHS for another day of serving as the school’s motivational speaker, venting her frustrations about a phone call she’d had the night before with her girlfriend, Rainbow Dash, along the way. When she’d left Sunset Shimmer’s apartment about twenty minutes ago she had just been venting to herself, but eventually she ran into Sugarcoat and, for some reason, began venting to her. She didn’t know who Sugarcoat was nor did Sugarcoat know who she was, but none-the-less she started venting to her.

“Honesty, I just can’t believe Dashie sometimes.” Sonata continued rambling. “I love her and all, but why is she so insistent on keeping our relationship a secret? Why can’t we just tell everyone we’re a couple already? Huh? Huh?”

“Please leave me alone.” Sugarcoat replied, sounding a tad irked, as she increased the speed of her walking in an attempt to get away from Sonata.

“I mean, what’s the big deal with keeping it a secret?” Sonata went on, ignoring Sugarcoat’s miffed reaction, as she matched the pig-tailed girl’s increased pace. “It’s not like we need to keep it a secret. Her friends and my sisters are all on good terms now, why would she still want to…OH MY GOSH, WHAT IF DASHIE’S EMBARRASSED BY ME?!”

“I can’t imagine why that might be.” Sugarcoat sarcastically remarked as Crystal Prep Academy came into view.

“No, no, that can’t be it.” Sonata frantically assured herself. “I know I can be a bit much sometimes but Dashie wouldn’t keep our relationship a secret because of that. There has to be some other reason.”

“This is my school.” Sugarcoat informed Sonata, who still wasn’t listening to her, as she stopped at the front approach to CPA. “Good luck with whatever it is you’re going on about.”

Sugarcoat then quickly turned 90 degrees and darted up the approach to the school, hoping that Sonata wasn’t following her anymore.

“Maybe Dashie’s friends don’t know she likes girls and she’s just afraid to come out?” Sonata asked, still standing on the sidewalk in front of CPA. “That could be it, right?...Hello?”

Sonata looked around when she didn’t hear a response, unable to find the girl she’d been talking to for the last ten minutes. She scratched her head in confusion until she came to a daunting realization.

“Um, where am I?” She timorously asked herself as she realized that she didn’t recognize her surroundings.

In her ramblings to Sugarcoat, Sonata had inadvertently strayed from her usual path to work and was now in a part of town she wasn’t familiar with. She couldn’t even double-back as she was too lost in her own little world to remember how she’d gotten there.

“Okay, okay, don’t panic, Sonata. You’re not lost.” She anxiously told herself as she reached into her right pocket. “You have your phone, you can just us it to…to…OH COME ON!”

Sonata frantically tried to get her phone to turn on, but to no avail. She remembered her call with Rainbow Dash last night and figured that it had worn her battery down so much that it had died during the night without her noticing.

“This is bad. This is really, really bad.” She defeatedly admitted, taking a seat on the curb as she contemplated her situation. “I don’t know where I am, I don’t know how I got here, and I have no phone to tell me where I am or to contact anyone.”

Feeling she had no better options, Sonata folded her hands together and looked up at the sky.

“Oh immense and mysterious universe, I beseech thee. Deliver unto me salvation from my dire predicament.” She grandiosely pleaded in prayer.

“Sonata? Are you okay?” A male voice suddenly said from across the street not two seconds later.

Sonata unfolded her hands and looked down to see Flash Sentry sitting in his car on the other side of the street, a concerned look on the young man’s face.

“Flash!” She cheerfully declared as she sat up and sprinted over to the blue-haired teen, making sure to check for any oncoming traffic first. “You have no idea how happy I am to see you! Can you please give me a ride to school?”

“Um, sure.” Flash replied, a hint of confusion in his voice.

“Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!” Sonata exclaimed as she moved around the back of the car towards the front passenger’s side door. “And thank you, universe!”

“Thank you universe?” Flash softly said to himself as Sonata entered the vehicle, confused by what the Dazzling meant by that.

Once Sonata’s seat belt was buckled, Flash shifted the car from park to drive and the two of them were on their way. There was about a minute of silence before Flash’s confusion and need for answers forced him to speak up.

“So what were you doing at Crystal Prep, Sonata?” He asked.

“Oh, um, I was just chatting with someone who goes there.” Sonata answered, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible while keeping the details to a minimum.

“Oh, okay.” Flash replied, feeling a bit skeptic about Sonata’s answer but not wanting to press the issue.

“How about you? Why were you there?” Sonata inquired in an attempt to shift the focus of conversation from herself to Flash.

“Oh, I pass Crystal Prep everyday on my way to school.” Flash explained. “Truth be told, I’m actually kind of glad I saw you sitting out there.”

“You are?” Sonata curiously asked.

“Yeah, I was planning on coming to see you today for some motivation.” Flash clarified as he pulled up to a red light. “I heard about how you helped Maud with her crush and I was hoping you could help me with mine.”

Sonata’s face immediately lit up like a Christmas tree when she heard this.

“Are you kidding?! Of course I’ll help you!” She joyously exclaimed as she leaned over the console with a wide, and somewhat unsettling, smile on her face.

Flash glanced over at the now ecstatic girl seated next to him and wondered if perhaps he’d just made a huge mistake. While he was happy that Sonata was willing to help him, he felt a tad uneasy about her overzealous enthusiasm and sudden closeness.

“O-okay, great.” He hesitantly said.

“So who do you have a crush on?!” Sonata excitedly asked, anxious to find out who the lucky girl was.

“I’m a little embarrassed to admit this,” Flash began to answer as the light changed green and he took his foot off the brake. “But I have a crush on Rainbow Dash.”

Sonata’s brain shut down for a split second after hearing Flash’s answer. She found that she couldn’t move from her current position leaned over the console or even remove the wide smile from her face.

“Rainbow…Dash?” Was all she could manage to say as a small twitch came over her left eye.

“I know, pretty crazy, right?” Flash replied, not noticing Sonata’s distraught state since he was watching the road. “But she’s so cool and confidant that I couldn’t help but start admiring her. I just want to get to know her better, you know?”

“Oh, I know.” Sonata apprehensively said as she ceased leaning on the console, trying desperately to get a hold of herself before Flash suspected anything.

“The only problem is I don’t know how to approach her.” Flash confessed as he pulled into the CHS student parking lot. “I don’t want to do it in front of her friends, especially Sunset, and even if I caught her while she was alone I wouldn’t know what to say.”

“Uh-huh.” Sonata spoke up, only half-listening to Flash as her mind reeled with a thousand and one thoughts per second.

“But then I heard about how you helped Maud approach Mudbriar and I figured you were the best person come to for help.” Flash continued as he pulled into one of the parking spaces and turned the car off. “So, do you think you can help me confess to Rainbow Dash?”

By this point Sonata had regained enough of her composure to put on normal enough face. She turned to Flash with the seemingly natural smile and braced herself for what she was about to say.

“Of course I can help you with that, Flash!” She happily responded, though in reality she felt like a dagger had just gone through her heart for agreeing to help someone confess to her girlfriend.

“Thanks, Sonata.” Flash gratefully said as the two of them got out of the car. “Do you mind if I come by your office at lunch to figure out a game plan?”

“Not at all.” Sonata once again happily, but perfidiously, replied. “You go on ahead for now. I have to, um, retie my shoe.”

“Okay, see you later then.” Flash remarked as he made his way though the parking lot towards the school.

Sonata, in fact, did not need to retie her shoe. No, she’d only said because she just wanted a moment of privacy for what she was about to do next. Once Flash was far enough away, she looked up at the sky, narrowed her eyes, lifted her right arm upwards to about head-level, and extended her middle finger.

“Fuck you, universe.” She sharply declared.


“And so now I’m supposed to help Flash ask you out and I don’t know what to do.” Sonata explained to Rainbow Dash from behind her desk.

The two girls were currently in Sonata’s office after Sonata had sent Rainbow an urgent text telling her they needed to talk before classes started. Sonata had just finished recapping the mornings events to her girlfriend.

“That’s what we needed to talk about?” Rainbow vexingly asked from the chair in front of Sonata’s desk. “For crying out loud, Sonata, I afraid you were going to break up with me.”

“Why would you think that?” Sonata curiously asked, feeling a bit wounded that her beloved Dashie would ever think such a thing.

“Because you’re text read, ‘Meet me in my office before class, we need to talk.’” Rainbow explained, now sounding straight up peeved. “The only time someone sends a text like that to her girlfriend is when that someone wants to break up with her!”

Sonata lowered her head as she reflected on her choice of phrasing for the text, quickly coming to the conclusion that perhaps she could have phrased it better.

“Sorry, Dashie.” She apologized, putting on a cute little pouty face that she knew Rainbow couldn’t stay mad at.

“Ugh.” Rainbow softly winced as she turned her head to the side to avoid staring at Sonata’s exaggerated expression. “Okay, okay, I’m not mad anymore. Just stop making that face.”

“Okie doki!” Sonata replied as she broke the pouty face and returned to her usual happy-go-lucky self.

Rainbow Dash gave a small, defeated sigh before turning her head back towards Sonata, embarrassed that she’d been so easily bested by her girlfriend’s emotionally manipulative tactic.

“So, Flash has a crush on me and you agreed to help him confess, huh?” She remarked, making sure she understood the situation at hand.

“Yeah, I really boxed myself into a corner.” Sonata admitted, feeling less happy-go-lucky than she had a moment ago. “I want to help Flash but I can’t think of a way to do it without hurting him.”

It wasn’t hard for Rainbow Dash to pick up on Sonata’s distressed state. She hated seeing her girlfriend like this and started pondering potential solutions to her problem.

“Hmmm.” She said aloud after about five seconds of pondering. “I think I might have an idea.”

“Really?!” Sonata joyously shouted. “What is it?!”

Before Rainbow Dash could even open her mouth again, the bell for first period rang.

“Oh man, I gotta go.” She frantically said as she got up from her seat and grabbed her backpack.

“Wait, Dashie, what’s your plan?!” Sonata just as frantically called out to her girlfriend as she too stood up from her seat.

“There’s no time to explain, if I’m late for Mr. Doodle’s class one more time this week I’ll get detention.” Rainbow speedily explained. “Just bring Flash to the soccer field at lunch, okay?”

“O-okay.” Sonata hesitantly agreed.

“Great, see you later, babe.” Rainbow said as she bolted to class.

Sonata just stood behind her desk for a few seconds before once again taking a seat.

“I sure hope you’re plan’s a good one, Dashie.” She solemnly stated.


The morning seemingly flew by as Sonata heard bell for lunch period ring. She nervously sat in her chair as she awaited the arrival of Flash Sentry, thinking about what Rainbow Dash’s plan for dealing with the boy’s crush on her could possibly be.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about all of this?” She anxiously asked herself just before she heard a knock on her door.

“Hey, Sonata.” Flash said as he opened the door. “Is now still a good time for us to meet?”

“Y-yeah, it’s fine.” Sonata diffidently replied. “Come on in, Flash.”

Flash did as instructed and entered the room, taking a seat in front of Sonata’s desk.

“So, what’s the game plan?” He enthusiastically asked, eager to get started.

“I’m going to be blunt, Flash; the best way to handle this is with the direct approach.” Sonata sternly said as she leaned ever so slightly forward. “When I helped Maud confess to Mudbriar I came up with this crazy plan called Operation: Hookup and it was a complete failure. Fortunately they still ended up together, but my point is that it’s best to just tell Rainbow Dash how you feel in a clear and direct manner.”

Flash’s enthusiastic attitude began to fade as he heard Sonata’s advice. The reason for this wasn’t because he felt that her advice was bad, far from it. No, the reason was that he was afraid of the direct approach and how vulnerable it would make him.

“I-I get what you’re saying, Sonata.” He apprehensively responded. “But I’m just not sure if I can do that.”

“I know it can be scary telling someone how you feel, Flash.” Sonata agilely said as she got up from her seat and moved around to the front of her desk, kneeling down next to Flash and placing a supportive hand over his. “I’ve been where you are, I’ve felt the fear you’re feeling now. I was so afraid to tell the person I liked how I felt that it nearly drove me crazy. But then one day I told them how I felt and when I did a huge weight was lifted from me.”

“Did they say ‘yes’?” Flash asked.

“Yes, they did.” Sonata serenely answered, remembering the moment Rainbow Dash had agreed to be her girlfriend. “But even if they hadn’t, that weight would still have been lifted from me and I would’ve moved on after a time.”

A small smile formed on Flash’s face as he began to understand what Sonata was telling him.

“I know that you’re afraid of Rainbow Dash turning you down, but even if she does I guarantee you’ll feel better just by having confessed to her. She’s a very kind person and I’m sure she would never do anything to hurt you.” Sonata concluded.

At this point, Flash was about on the verge of tears. Sonata’s amiable and supportive words were exactly what he needed to hear.

“Thanks, Sonata.” She gratefully expressed. “You’re really good at this.”

“Eh, I try.” Sonata humbly replied as she got up. “You know, I saw Rainbow Dash walking alone by my window just before you got here. She looked like she was headed for the soccer field, you want to go confess to her now?”

“Yeah, I’m ready.” Flash enthusiastically replied as he too stood up.


Sure enough, Rainbow Dash was at the soccer field, eating lunch alone on the bleachers.

“Why is she eating lunch alone out here?” Flash quizzically asked as he and Sonata peered around the corner of the school watching her. “Doesn’t she usually eat with Sunset and the other Rainbooms?”

“Um, maybe she just needed some alone time?” Sonata offered as a possible answer. “It doesn’t matter though, what’s important is that this is the perfect opportunity to tell her how you feel.”

“Yeah.” Flash confidently agreed.

“Alright, go get her, lover boy!” Sonata exclaimed as she gave Flash a gentle shove towards the field.

Flash was a little startled by Sonata’s shove, but he didn’t let it distract him as he made his way over to Rainbow Dash.

“Here we go.” Sonata remarked as she watched Flash approach Rainbow.

From where she was standing Sonata couldn’t hear what was being said between Flash and Rainbow Dash, but everything seemed to be going well so far. After about a minute of conversation both Rainbow and Flash unexpectedly turned towards her, with Rainbow waving her over to them.

“Um, okay.” Sonata said to herself as she hesitantly made her way over to the bleachers. “I hope this is part of the plan.”

“Hey, Sonata.” Rainbow Dash casually greeted her once she was within earshot.

“Hey, Da…Rainbow Dash.” Sonata greeted back, almost calling Rainbow by her pet name before catching herself.

“Have a seat.” Rainbow said as she patted the seat next to her once Sonata was a little closer.

Sonata silently did as Rainbow Dash suggested and took a seat next to her. Once seated, she looked up at Flash and noticed that he seemed just as confused as she was.

“So Flash just asked me out and I told him that I can’t go out with him, but I haven’t told him why yet.” Rainbow explained to Sonata before turning to face Flash. “You see, Flash, I can’t go out with you because I’m already dating Sonata here.”

Before Sonata could react to the fact that Rainbow Dash had just told Flash that they were dating, she felt a small, quick kiss be planted on her cheek. The kiss made her involuntarily blush like she’d never blushed before, and, for the second time today, she felt like she couldn’t move.

“Oh, um, I see.” Flash awkwardly responded, clearly uncomfortable with the public display of affection he’d just witnessed.

“Sorry for the dramatics, Flash.” Rainbow apologized, picking up on the boy’s discomfort. “But the fact is that you’re the first person to know about us dating. We’ve been dating for a while now but I asked Sonata to keep it a secret.”

That explains why Sonata didn’t just tell me this earlier. Flash thought to himself.

“The reason I wanted her to keep our relationship a secret is because, up until now, no one knew about me liking girls.” Rainbow continued. “But I realized that Sonata wasn’t happy hiding our relationship, so when she came to me asking for help with your crush on me I came up with this plan to tell you everything so that it wouldn’t be a secret anymore. And now that I’m saying all this aloud I realize that I sort of used you as a pawn, so sorry about that too.”

“N-no, it’s fine.” Flash assured Rainbow, though unsure if he actually was fine with it.

“You’re a great guy, Flash.” Rainbow said as she got up and placed a hand on Flash’s shoulder. “Any girl would be lucky to have you as a boyfriend, so don’t let what happened here today discourage you from asking anyone else out, okay?”

“I won’t.” Flash replied, feeling slightly better after hearing Rainbow Dash’s kind words. “Thanks, Rainbow.”

“Oh, and could you maybe not tell anyone about me and Sonata until tomorrow so we can tell our friends and families first before all kinds of rumors start spreading?” Rainbow requested as she removed her hand from Flash’s shoulder.

“Yeah, I think I can do that.” Flash answered before turning his attention to Sonata, who had been sitting perfectly still with a thousand yard stare in her eyes since being kissed by Rainbow Dash. “Um, is Sonata alright?”

Rainbow gave a quick glance towards her seemingly petrified girlfriend.

“Oh she’s fine.” Rainbow confirmed. “She always ends up like this when we get intimate. In fact, after the first time I kissed her she…”

Before Rainbow Dash could finish her sentence, Sonata quickly snapped out of her trance, bolted up from her seat, and placed a hand over the girl’s mouth.

“Not. Another. Word.” She very sternly warned her girlfriend.

Rainbow could only give a nervous and apologetic look in response.

“Okay, well, I’m going to get going.” Flash spoke up, wanting to leave before any more weirdness unfolded. “See you both later.”

“Bye, Flash.” Sonata replied as he walked away, waiting until he was far enough out of earshot before removing her hand from Rainbow’s mouth.

“Was that really necessary?” Rainbow asked Sonata once she was free to talk again.

“Relationship 101, Dashie; don’t share intimate details about your partner with other people.” Sonata fervently informed her girlfriend before give a small sigh and once again taking a seat. “Honestly, you have so much to learn about being in a relationship.”

“Yeah, I do.” Rainbow Dash admitted as she also retook her seat, placing her right hand over Sonata’s left. “But I wouldn’t want to learn about being in a relationship with anyone other than you.”

Sonata couldn’t help but blush and give a small smile at her girlfriends sweet words and touch.

“Thanks, Dashie.” She warmly replied as she planted a kiss on Rainbow’s cheek, causing Rainbow to blush as well.

“Y-you hungry?” Rainbow asked as she grabbed the rest of her lunch, feeling slightly embarrassed by her girlfriend’s kiss. “I’ve got more than enough salad to share if you want some.”

“Sure.” Sonata giggled as she and Rainbow Dash spent the remainder of the lunch period together as a couple, sharing a salad.


Sonata was glad that it was finally the end of the day. With everything that had happened during the day she wanted nothing more than to go home and unwind with a nice, soothing bath. She’d just locked the door to her office when she heard a voice all out to her.

“Hey, Sonata.” Flash Sentry yelled as he made his way towards her.

Oh geez, I hope Flash isn’t mad about what happened today. She worriedly thought to herself.

“Glad I caught you before you left.” Flash said once he right next to Sonata. “I wanted to thank you for your help today.”

“You…huh?” Sonata asked in confusion.

“Well, despite all the craziness that happened at the soccer field, the advice you gave me in your office really helped me.” Flash explained. “I don’t know when I may try asking someone out again, but when I do I’ll remember what you said about being direct and clear.”

“Oh, well, glad I could help!” Sonata cheerfully replied, just happy that Flash was mad.

“And don’t worry, I haven’t told anyone about you and Rainbow Dash.” Flash quietly added.

“Thanks.” Sonata just as quietly responded.

“I’ll see you around, okay?” Flash said as he started heading off down the hallway.

“Okay. Oh, and thanks again for the ride this morning.” Sonata called out to him.

“No problem.” Flash called back just as he turned a corner.

Once again alone, and happy knowing that Flash was okay after the day’s events, Sonata felt compelled to look up at the ceiling and speak.

“You’re really weird, universe.” She remarked as she too made her way down the hall, heading home.

Author's Note:

Wow, this story turned out much longer than I originally intended!

If you have a suggestion for a future chapter let me know in the comments.

The next chapter will feature Aria and Scootaloo.