• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 1,430 Views, 5 Comments

What You Know - Closer-To-The-Sun



Rarity gets a letter from Prince Blueblood. Inside, he asks for a second chance to prove himself to her, but will she let him?

  • ...
7
 5
 1,430

Ch. 6 All Apologies

Chapter 6: All Apologies

That night, Rarity was deep in thought. Lying on her bed, waiting to fall asleep, her mind replayed the event of Prince Blueblood asking her the question if she would do him the honor of being his marefriend. Letting out a loud sigh, Rarity closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

But her mind had other plans. She thought about her younger self, wanting to be the bride of royalty and to become a princess. It was her dream, just like every filly's dream (except for maybe Rainbow Dash and Applejack, Rarity thought). The mare knew for a fact that there was a filly inside of her that refused to grow up; a filly that refused to give up hope that her prince will come. This little filly earnestly believed that Blueblood was the prince she was waiting for.

"But….how do I know that he really is?" the unicorn asked aloud in a hushed tone.

Rarity then reflected on her new view of Blueblood. She had to admit he was much more of a gentlecolt than he was at the gala, and for that matter, he owned up to his rudeness. The mare acknowledged that she found him very handsome and attractive, just as she did when she was young. What stuck out the most, however, was the fact that he was shy and nervous toward Rarity. Not only did she find this a bit funny, she actually found it quite cute. A smile came across her lips as she remembered how bashful the prince was as he tried to ask Rarity the question. It was a side of the prince she was sure almost nopony knew of.

Sighing one last time, Rarity spoke to herself in the darkness again, "I think I know my answer, I just hope I'm right about this choice." As she finished her statement, the white unicorn feel asleep.

-----------

The next morning, Rarity woke up and prepped herself for the day. After her morning ritual of bathing, styling her hair, and enjoying a small breakfast, Rarity went to her desk and began to write a letter. While writing, she seemed to have quite some issues of exactly how to write it. She would re-read what she wrote and use her magic to crumble up the parchment into a ball and place it in the wastebasket. She repeated this about four times before her younger sister, Sweetie Belle popped her head up onto to the desk.

"What'cha doing, Rarity?" the filly would ask, peering onto the desk.

Rarity was actually not bothered by the presence of her sibling, "Oh, good morning Sweetie Belle. I'm writing a letter to a friend, but I fear I don't know how to write what I want to say."

"Why don't you just be honest about everything?"

"Huh?" Rarity was slightly confused at what her sister said.

"You know, just be honest about everything as you write, that way there is no clutter and no way it could be taken the wrong way. The good thing about it is that no one can blame you for being honest," Sweetie Belle gave an innocent smile up to her sister.

Rarity gave the idea some thought, "You know, I think you are on to something, my dear," she praised her younger sibling, "Oh, I almost forgot. Could you possible go get Spike? I do need some extra help today on finishing the order on time."

Sweetie Belle saluted to her older sister, "Yes, ma'am!" She quickly bolted off to the library to get the dragon.

Smiling as she saw her sister leave, Rarity focused back onto the blank sheet of parchment in front of her. Taking a deep breath, she used her magic to take the quill and began to write. The letter read:

Dearest Prince Blueblood,

This is Rarity writing to you. After giving the matter much thought, I regret to inform you that I will be declining the offer of becoming your marefriend. However, before any conclusions are drawn, I would like to know that I shall not stop being your friend. The past few days have been simply wonderful with you. I am extremely happy that we were able to patch things up after the mishap at the Grand Galloping Gala. You truly are a great colt and I am quite lucky to have you as a friend. Perhaps we may continue our various rendezvous. Who knows, maybe Applejack will learn to do more than just tolerate you. But in all seriousness, I do apologize for refusing your offer, but please do know that you still are a valuable friend to me.

Your friend,
Rarity

Looking at her letter, satisfied with how it turned, she folded it up and placed it in the envelope she had set aside, "I guess Sweetie Belle was quite right about writing like that. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for my prince," she said to herself.

The white unicorn heard hoofsteps on her porch, those of her sister Sweetie Belle, who entered with a purple and green dragon.

"I'm back! And I brought Spike!" Sweetie Belle spoke, giving her words a bit of a musical touch.

"Oh, thank you dears for helping me today," Rarity said as she walked up to the two youngsters.

"Not a problem, Rarity! Always glad to help," Spike said in a cheerful tone.

"And I'm very happy to see you are doing better than last time, as well. Now, I need the two of you to help me by applying gems to the dresses, similar to last time. It should be the last time I will need your help for these gowns," Rarity walked over the ponquins in the center of the room.

"Alright, I shall get to work!" Spike said energetically as he made his way over to the chest of gems to get to work.

Rarity smiled as she saw Spike make his way over to the gems and get started working. Silently laughing to herself, she thought, 'Who knows, maybe I already found my prince.'

END

Comments ( 4 )

I'll be honest: it isn't as good as it could be. I can see your intentions, and you've made few grammatical and spelling errors, but the part of the story that lacks is substance. You only briefly touch on their first date, and very little happens. Why is Rarity so forgiving of Blueblood? Why has Blueblood suddenly started caring? What prompts Rarity's decision in the sixth chapter? You have it written as a series of events, but part of storytelling is explaining why things happen. As it stands, the story has potential, but it feels like you left out half of it.

1092514 I admit, this isn't one of my best. I guess I really could of done better on it when I was writing it, but also bear in mind it was one of my first fics written, and about a year ago. I won't make excuses about why it is as such, but thanks for the feedback, nevertheless.

:rainbowlaugh: Friendzone'd

It was good, but I really wanted to see more. You have this set up as if Blueblood was being impersonated the night of the gala. I was hoping for a cool explanation of how he was kidnapped by changelings or something and is now attempting to win over the mare of his dreams. Oh well, it was still a good story.

Login or register to comment