• Published 24th Oct 2019
  • 2,983 Views, 79 Comments

When Dating a Sunset... - ThePinkedWonder



Local human Eric Reed falls for interdimensional traveler Sunset Shimmer and wants to ask her out.

  • ...
10
 79
 2,983

Chapter 7: Preparations, and two warnings

In the human world…

With half of the sun visible above the horizon, Sunset Shimmer’s friends stood outside the pedestal bearing the portal to Equestria. Sunset told them what she planned to do, and they decided to wait by the portal for Sunset to return to learn what Eric’s answer was. Even though they knew what it would be.

“So, you guys think Eric-merry said ‘yes’ to Sunset asking him out?” Pinkie asked.

Applejack answered, “With how Sunset said he felt about her, I don’t see why he wouldn’t say ‘yes’.”

“Yeah, you’re right, Applejack,” Pinkie responded. “That was a silly question.”

Rainbow chuckled. “But I wish I could see his face to Sunset asking him out. I bet he didn’t see it coming!”

The portal glowed, and Sunset came out. She landed on her stomach with a grunt.

“Are you all right?!” Twilight asked.

Sunset rubbed her head. “Yeah, but I wish that portal could be more gentle with me.”

Fluttershy extended her arm and pulled Sunset off the ground by her hand.

“Well, Sunset? What did he say? What did he say?” Pinkie asked. Despite knowing the answer, Pinkie’s unbridled excitement made her unable to prevent asking.

Sunset took a deep breath. “He said 'yes'!” Sunset cheered, jumped in the air, hugged Fluttershy and spun in circles while holding Fluttershy in her arms. “I got a date with Eric! I got a date with Eric!”

“Wow. We all knew he would say yes, but you are still ecstatic about it,” Rarity commented.

“And I-I’m happy for y-you, Sunset, but c-can you p-please let me go? I’m getting s-sick!”

Sunset gasped and set Fluttershy back on the ground with a nervous grin. “Sorry about that, Fluttershy, but it just feels so good! I’ve never felt like this before.”

“So, when is the date?” Rarity asked in an almost teasing voice with a mischievous smile.

“Next Saturday, but I forgot to ask Eric what he'd want to do for our date. I’ll ask him later in our journal.”

Spike said, “Still, congratulations on your date, Sunset.”

“Thanks!” Sunset’s smile turned into a frown as she held her stomach. “But I’m going to go lie down.”

“Might as well. This has been an eventful day for you,” Twilight stated.

“No, it’s not that. I’m just getting a stomach ache.”

Sunset and her friends all returned to their homes. Later, Sunset learned the reason for her sudden stomach ache.



I just couldn’t believe it! I had a date with Sunset Shimmer!

As you might have guessed, I spent the rest of the evening in a GREAT mood! I wondered how Sunset acted after she was back on the other side of the portal and told the rest of the “ex-Shipping Seven”, but I like to think that she was really excited about me saying “yes”. But then again, I was the lucky one.


Two weeks later, on a Saturday, it was time for my date with Sunset. I bet you’re wondering why two weeks have passed, not just one?

Well, it’s because Sunset became really sick soon after she was back in “her” world. Sci-Twi, in our journal, promised it wasn’t because Sunset was trying to get out of our date.

Turns out, when she ate the hayburgers when we were hanging out, she should’ve stayed in Equestria long enough for her pony anatomy to digest the hay. Since she went back before it did...well, let’s just say poor Sunset had an awful week!

Fortunately, she’s feeling better now, and ready for our date. We decided to have it in the evening, so Sunset would come through the portal at 6pm.


In my room, I was preparing for my big date. Since this was a real date, I was going to dress more like I would for one; a book Twilight had about preparing for dates helped with this. I wore a white button-up shirt, black jeans, and had a red corsage on my shirt. I also wore my hat with my friends’ and sisters’ Cutie Marks.

Twi was looking me over to make sure everything looked right, and was holding a black comb with her magic to comb the parts of my hair that weren’t in the hat.

However, I had one little problem.

If the Princess of Perfection wouldn’t exit her “motherly big sister” mode and stop trying to make my outfit and hair absolutely perfect, I wouldn’t be going on a date at all!

“Oh, come on, Twilight! You have been ‘fixing’ my shirt and hair for the last half-hour! I look good, so will you cut it out and let me leave?”

Pulling on the collar of my shirt with her magic, Twilight replied, “Not yet, Buggie. I need to fix your collar.”

“But you already ‘fixed’ it thirty-seven times, and Sunset will be here soon!”

“All right, I fixed your collar, but your shirt is a tenth of an inch crooked on the left.” Twilight pulled on my shirt to “straighten” it. “There, it’s straightened.”

“Good, so can I go now?”

“No, I need to go over your hair with a comb right quick. A strand of your hair isn't lined up with the rest.”

“Augh!”

Spike was standing in my doorway, chuckling at the sight. “Just let Twilight do her thing, Eric. You and I both know she won't stop until she’s ready.”

After combing my hair for like the hundredth time, Twilight finally levitated the comb on a dresser against the wall and her horn stopped glowing. “There. You’re good to go!”

Spike stopped chuckling and I whined, “Finally! I thought you would never get done!”

Twilight frowned and said, “Okay, I know I got a little carried away. But this is your first date in Equestria, and I want it to go well.”

Feeling a bit bad, I admitted, “I know, Twi, and you wouldn’t be you if you never did stuff like this sometimes.”

Starlight peeked in my doorway and whistled. “You look good, Buggie. I’m almost jealous I’m not your date.”

I think I actually blushed at what big sis Starlight told me. “Thanks, Starie.”

“Are you nervous, Eric?” Spike asked.

“A little, but I think I’ll be all right.”

Twilight seemed like she was about to say something; knowing her, it was something to reassure me. But before she did, she stared at my arm.

“Twi? What’s wrong?”

“Your left sleeve is folded inside itself a little.”

“It is?”

“Yeah, let me fix it.” Twilight’s horn glowed again and her magic pulled on my sleeve to unfold it, but it was barely folded. “Wait, now it’s not even with the other one, so I’ll fold it back. No, I folded it too much, no, now I unfolded it too much.”

“Augh, not this again! Twilight!”

“This will be quick, I promise!”

Knowing it would be pointless to keep protesting, I groaned and just let Twi be the Princess of Perfection like Spike advised. I doubted that my date was going through something like this.



Sunset was also finishing preparing for her date with Eric. In Sunset's room, Rarity stood behind and was going over Sunset’s hair with a purple comb. She had been combing it for the last thirty minutes. Twilight stood in the room, with her back facing the door. Spike lay beside Twilight.

“Augh, come on, Rarity! I’m sure my hair’s good, so you can stop now.”

“Not yet, darling.”

“But I have to go through the portal in another fifteen minutes! I don’t want to be late!”

“Don’t worry, I’m almost done.”

“Well, at least I doubt Eric’s going through something like this. I don’t think Princess Twilight is the type to do something like this to him for a date.”

Rarity let out a contented sigh and stopped combing Sunset's hair. “All right, I’m done.”

Sunset said, “About time.”

Twilight asked, “It’s almost time for your big date with Eric, Sunset. You still don't feel sick, right?”

Sunset took a deep breath and rubbed her hands. “No, I feel better. But last week was horrible, and Eric wasn’t kidding when he said things would not be fun for me if I ate hayburgers in human form.”

“Or come back too soon after eating them in your pony form,” Spike commented.

Twilight suggested, “If you eat something like that on your date, make sure you stay in Equestria until your pony form digest it.”

“T-This time, I’ll only eat stuff I can handle in human form, so I won’t have to worry.” Sunset walked to a dresser and pulled out a brown bag. With her hands slightly trembling, she picked the bag up, but lost her grip and dropped the bag back on the dresser. Gold rocks spilled out. “Shoot!”

Rarity stared at the rocks from Sunset’s bag. “What are those, Sunset? Some kind of gold coin, because they look gorgeous!”

“These are called ‘bits’ and I had them when I first came to this world. I’m going to take them when I go through the portal.” Sunset scooped up the bits into their bag, placed the bag itself in a pack, and put the pack’s strap over her shoulder.

“Bits? Are they Equestria’s currency?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah. I d-don’t want Eric to pay for everything.” Sunset rubbed her hands again to calm their shaking.

Noticing how Sunset’s hands were previously shaking and she was rubbing them, and how she was stuttering, with a frown, Rarity walked to Sunset. “Sunset? Is something wrong? You look like you’re becoming nervous.”

“But I’m not nervous.”

Spike questioned, “You sure? Because you look nervous.”

“That’s because I’m not nervous.” Sunset frowned and placed her hands on Rarity’s shoulders. “I’m soooo nervous!”

“Wait, you are?” Twilight asked.

Sunset turned to Twilight and answered, “Yes! This is my first real date. The ‘dates’ I went on with Flash don’t count, because I never liked him and was just making him think that I did.”

With Sunset’s hands still on Rarity’s shoulders, Rarity placed a hand on Sunset’s arm. “But, Sunset, you know how Eric feels about you, right?”

Twilight chimed in, “Yeah, he’s probably as nervous as you.”

“But this is the guy that once faced Queen Chrysalis and has a Pink Heart of Courage, and I told you what Chrysalis is like! If it were me, I would have freaked out like crazy, but he didn’t!”

Spike reminded her, “But this is also the guy that tripped over rocks when he was trying to ask out Diane Heart.”

Removing her hands from Rarity’s shoulders, Sunset glared at Spike. “Hey! What does that mean?!”

Spike flinched and responded, “Whoa! I didn’t mean it like that. I meant that he’s a regular guy, and you have saved our world more than once, remember?”

Twilight reminded, “And have you forgotten how Eric felt that he didn’t deserve you? Give yourself some credit, Sunset.”

Sunset’s glare softened and responded, “Y-Yeah, you’re right, and I’m sorry, Spike. I guess I’m a little worried that I might do something to ruin this.”

Rarity said, “Well, I guess I can understand. As you said, this is your first real date, and Eric’s never told us if he’s been on dates.”

Twilight assured, “But from how Eric talked in our journals, he’s not expecting you to never make mistakes. And he doesn’t seem like he would stop wanting to be with you if you did something wrong sometimes.”

“So try to relax, and enjoy your date!” Rarity suggested.

Looking at her friends’ comforting smiles, Sunset herself smiled. “Thanks, guys. Now, I know my hair is ready but what about my outfit? You think my usual outfit is good for dates, or should I change to another one while I still have time?” Sunset placed a hand on her hip to pose and smiled. Her current outfit, a deep-rose skirt, an orange shirt bearing a design of her pony form’s Cutie Mark, and an open black leather jacket.

Spike commented, “They all look great to me, so you can’t go wrong with one or the other.”

Twilight pointed out, “Wait. Didn’t you say that the clothes you wear magically vanish when you come out of the portal in Equestria, but reappear when you come back?”

Sunset facepalmed. “Oh...yeah, I forgot. And now that I think of it, combing my hair might not affect how it looks as a 'mane'.”

“What?! You mean I did all this for nothing?!” Rarity shouted.

“Sorry, but I did say I’m nervous.”

“You didn’t say you were ‘nervous’. You said you were ‘soooo nervous’,” Spike joked with a sly smile.

“Ha ha, fair point, Spike. But I should head to the portal now, so are you guys ready to see me off?”

“Ready,” Twilight, Rarity, and Spike answered in unison.

Sunset, Rarity, Twilight, and Spike left Sunset’s room, and made their way to the portal. Their other friends were also waiting by the portal to wish their friend luck.



Standing by the portal in the library, I was ready for my date to come through. Twilight, Starlight, and Spike were with me, helping me keep calm. But I bet Sunset wasn’t nervous!

“Well, Sunset should be coming through the portal any minute. How do you feel, Buggie?”

“A little nervous, Twi. I hope I don't--”

Starlight interrupted, “Come on, don’t think like that. Just be like how you were when you hung out with Sunset two weeks ago.”

“Yeah, you didn’t seem nervous then,” Spike said.

Twilight added, “And Sunset’s not someone that would want you to be perfect on your date.”

“Says the Alicorn that spent half an hour re-fixing my clothes and hair for being a bit off.”

“But I...fine, point taken. But still, just be yourself, and you’ll be fine. That’s what Sunset would want.”

“But since Sunset should be coming any second, let’s leave and let Eric be by himself when his girlfriend gets here,” Starlight said. Her voice tone became a teasing tone when she said “girlfriend” and winked. Heh, I was waiting for Starie to enter “big sister” mode and say something like that.

“I still can’t believe you’re in love, big bro, after being in Equestria for so long!” Spike said in a teasing tone, being the little brother he can be.

“Well, ‘love’ might be pushing it, Spike. We haven’t even started our date yet, but I know I like Sunset!”

“Anyway, Spike, Starlight, let’s go, and good luck, Buggie!”

Twilight, Starlight, and Spike went out one of the green double-doors to the library. After they left, pink lights and sparks came from the portal’s cords, and I took a deep breath.

Sunset was in for a surprise. This time, instead of flying out, she emerged while standing on her hind legs. But I was surprised myself by Sunset having her pack with her, since she didn’t have it when we hung out before.

After wobbling a little, Sunset came down on all fours and looked around. “Huh? I didn’t fly out this time?”

“Nope. Since it’s not such a rare event for you to come to Equestria, Twilight did some work on that portal, so it won’t send you out so hard anymore.”

“She fixed it, huh? I should have asked her to do it sooner.” With a smile, Sunset walked to me. “Eric, you look good!”

My nerves calmed down and was replaced with bashfulness. I rubbed the back of my neck and I could feel my cheeks warming up. “And you look good too, Sunset.”

Sunset chuckled and waved a hoof. “Please, Eric, I look the same as I always do when I come through the portal. But what do you have planned for our date?”

And she always looked good; it just took time for me to notice how good. But a thought popped in my head, and I said, “First, I need to check something.”

“What’s that?”

“You’ll see.”

I crept to the door Twilight, Starlight, and Spike left through and swung the door open. With a grunt, eight figures behind it fell to the floor in a pile. Yeah, this time I knew they were there!

With a smirk I asked, “So, any scratches on the door?”

Rainbow answered, “No, but uh, we were coming to ask, uh…”

“Ask when you’ll be back, so we’ll know to have the castle be empty for you two.”

I’ll admit, that was a quick lie Starlight came up with.

“Suuure you were. I’m not sure when we’ll be back, but the castle doesn’t have to be empty.”

“Well, in that case, we’ll go. Uh, bye!” Twilight said.

They left, and I closed the door. I walked back to Sunset, chuckling at how I caught the “Nosey Eight” in the act.

“Well, since they’re gone, about what you have planned for our--”

I heard something, and I interrupted, “Wait, I need to do something else.”

With another smirk, I crept to the door the gang was behind and swung it open. This time, three figures fell to the floor. It was my Equestrian siblings, Twilight, Starlight, and Spike.

I turned to Sunset and pointed at the pile in front of me. “Hey, Sunset, look what I found: three shades of purple!”

“Okay, how did you know we were back there?” Starlight asked.

“I heard you three coming back to the door. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you all about how my date went later.”

Twilight responded, “Okay, and this time, we’re leaving. I promise.”

The three left, and I just left the door open this time.

“Okay, that should keep them gone.” I patted the pocket of my jeans, and noticed that I didn’t have my bits for the date! I would need them! “Wait, my bag of bits is still in my room, so I’ll be right back.”

I ran out of the library to get my bits. I couldn’t believe I forgot them! It was probably because of Twilight taking so bucking long to get me ready.



With Sunset alone, Starlight came back to the library and trotted in front of Sunset. She wore a serious frown.

“Starlight? What’s wrong?”

“With Eric out of the library, there’s something I need to say.”

“Okay, what is it?”

“As you know, Eric’s like my little brother, so I just want to tell you --” Starlight’s horn glowed, and Sunset found herself magically pulled to Starlight’s now-scowling face “-- never break his heart or hurt him. You got it, Sunset Shimmer?”

Sunset gulped and forced a nervous smile. She would never do anything to hurt Eric in any way, but she was given another reason to not do it. “Oh, don’t worry, Starlight. I care for Eric too much to ever hurt him.”

Starlight released her magical grip on Sunset and chuckled. “I didn’t think you would, Sunset, but I just wanted to say that. Have fun on your date!”

With her warning made clear, Starlight trotted out of the library. Five seconds later, Twilight trotted in. Unlike Starlight’s when she came in, Twilight’s expression appeared to be one showing concern.

“Hey, Twilight. What’s wrong?”

“I bet Starlight had a...word with you, didn’t she?”

“Yeah. I can tell she really cares for Eric and would do anything for him.”

“She would. But you know, even if you did hurt Eric, you wouldn’t have to worry about Starlight doing anything.”

“You sure? Starlight sounded serious to me.”

“She was, but if you did something to break Eric’s heart, Starlight would have to get in line,” Twilight explained in a friendly tone, but briefly gave a serious glare. Afterward, Twilight smiled and cheerfully finished, “Anyway, Eric should be back any second, so I’m going to go. Have fun!”

With her message delivered, Twilight trotted out of the library.

Now having two more reasons to never hurt Eric besides that she cared for him too much to, Sunset gulped again and wiped her forehead. “Oof. And guys say the fathers and big brothers of their girlfriends are scary.”



With my bag of bits in my left hand, I ran back to the library. “Hey, sorry I took so long, but I got my bag of bits. You ready to go?”

“Y-Yeah, I’m ready.”

Sunset looked like she was shaken up a bit by something, but seemed okay. We left the library, and we were going to do something that's typical for dates: go out to dinner.

Author's Note:

Aw, isn't Sunset cute when she's soooo nervous? Though a protective Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer that mean business aren't cute! You better be good to Eric, Sunset.

How will the dinner go? Will either Eric's or Sunset's nerves get the better of them? Will they be watched by the "Nosey Eight"?

Will Eric and Sunset do more than just have a goodnight kiss after the date?!