• Published 13th Sep 2019
  • 247 Views, 9 Comments

The Burden of Hope - Mykola



Finding his conscious after what could be years of rest, a lone pony is left to learn about the fate of his home.

  • ...
1
 9
 247

Chapter 8: Warning

Author's Note:

A quick notice: thanks for the help of Shrink Laureate, I will be going through and making grammatical corrections to my story. I appreciate this effort, and I'm hoping that the quality will improve!

Thank you to everyone who has followed thus far!

The dim lights of the shanty pub flickered with a sudden and unexpected fashion, so much so that the loud chattering between the patrons of the establishment temporarily ceased before the candles returned to their normal intensity. There was a shrill laughter and borderline yelling between the mares and stallions that occupied the booths where they consumed whatever ration of cider they could get their hooves on. The rough establishment had an eerily home-like vibe that creeped through its aged wooden boards, offering some odd comfort that many would reckon would have not been found there.

The door of the establishment cried as it was opened by an intruder with a breath of cold air that filled the pub for but a moment, before the intruder closed it and stepped down to the main lounge. Eyes immediately darted to scrutinise the being who dared enter a place where it wasn’t welcome, the intruding pony merely offered a wide though challenging smile. The dark pushed its way to where the bar was as it nudged its way between a zebra and a deer.

The dark stared into the eyes of the pegasus bartender that was staring directly at him.

“Say bartender,” the dark replied with a smile, “I’ll take a pint.”

“Never seen you before!” The pegasus responded chippily, “Sweet or bitter?”

“Which one gives you an edge?”

“S’cuse me?” The pegasus asked with a raised eyebrow, the zebra and deer on either side of the dark gruffly looked at the intruder.

“Which do you prefer?” The dark scoffed, “I tend to trust the judgement of the fella handling the drinks.”

“I like bitter!” The bartender replied simply, pushing over a wooden mug with a foamy substance that swirled within.

The dark took it by the handle as it swirled the drink around before taking a quick gulp of the substance. The cider hit the dark’s stomach immediately, and it coughed in surprise… the dark didn’t realise how long it had gone without a drink, before it turned its cough into a laugh that seemed to chill the warm interior of the pub.

“Yeah, I see why…” The dark laughed between coughs, “how long you’ve been working here, kid?”

“Kid?” The zebra asked, turning angry eyes at the dark, “Tell me, who are you exactly?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know. Listen here, sister… best you don’t be wagging hooves here, ‘specially not at me.”

“Sister? What kind of stranger says that?”

“I’m guessing this one here.” The dark said with a placed hoof on the bar, staring intently into the pegasus’s eyes. The bartender flinched, quickly looking away from the strange intruder as the dark chuckled, “Tell me, bartender… you keen on the rumours of the going ons here?”

“I-I hear a few things,” the bartender said, “but rumours are rumours… can’t be any telling if they’re real or not.”

“That’s why it’s important to trust, kid…” The dark replied, “Word is that there is some special pony walking the scene now, some ‘second life’ sort of deal, any idea who that might be?”

“Why do you care?” The zebra butted into the conversation, “If you’re thinking it’s real, why waste time?”

“That comin’ from some regular at a shanty establishment like this oughta’ be comedy gold…” The dark warned, “so piece of advice, sister? Learn to keep your mouth shut.”

“That a threat?” The deer asked, “You must think you’re some kind of superpony with that attitude, bud.”

“Ditto to you too,” The dark growled, “but tell me, bartender… true or not?”

“You’re not from here, are ya?” Some griffon asked behind the dark, “Or did you take a lungful of that dark mist? ‘Cause your brain seems pretty scrambled.”

“Just experienced, kid.”

“Experienced?!”

“Y’heard me, I don’t need to explain that.” The dark responded, “I just need this question answered, and I promise afterwards you’ll not need to be worrying about me. So, bartender… is there another ‘new light?”

“You’ve been in here for two minutes and you’ve managed to upset everyone here!” The griffon yelled.

“Listen ‘re, beakface,” the dark said, “I’m not gonna deal with this--”

The griffon lunged with a furious flurry of strokes at the dark, a killing spirit burning in her eyes as she came a fraction of a hair within the dark. Suddenly the griffon shot up and hit the ceiling, the audience within the pub immediately cried in shock and horror watching her limbs set in a cross. The deer and the zebra on either side of the dark jumped back in horror, and the bartender fell onto his back.

“Oof! Now you’ve crossed the line!” The dark chuckled, glancing briefly at the griffon suspended on the ceiling: “Ain’t anyone teach y’all manners? Tartarus, wasn’t expecting a bunch of ruffians in a pub, but I got what I deserved! Now, bartender…”

Anxious chatter and cries muffled and silenced the hearty laughter that once graced the pub, many of the pub’s patrons kneeled and quivered in fear. The dark knew that they’ve seen plenty of pain in their time, and that this place was a refuge from the horrors that lurked at the shores of their home. Unfortunately if they gave up this easy in the face of something like it, they wouldn’t survive ‘the Dark.’

It didn’t like doing this, it hated seeing fear. But what better strategy than to make others afraid?

“Just spit it out, and this nightmare is over…” The dark directed at the bartender, “yes or no: there is another?”

“I-I don’t know! H-honest to the Light, I don’t know!” The pegasus cried as a pain pinged in the dark’s heart, “P-please don’t hurt me!”

“Just the rumours then, kid!”

“R-rumours say so, y-yes!”

“Good.” The dark said as it pushed itself up from the bar and turned around to see the mass of trembling bystanders.

It blinked and immediately the trembling stopped, and everypony in the establishment fell under a deep sleep. A white mist drained from the eyes of everypony in the establishment that travelled slowly to the dark, who breathed in the energy. Dozens of memories not its own flashed into the dark’s mind, and he experienced flashes of joy and sorrow, bliss and pain, love and hate...

It saw a gathering of three friends around the table they always sat at, enjoying the cider they could only get once a week. They had been busy rebuilding a lost district, hard work that ultimately benefited the lives of hundreds of ponies within the walls of Grad. It could feel the exhaustion they felt, and how their only peaceful refuge was here… until it came.

It experienced the blossoming development between stallion and mare, two lovely couple: one pony, one deer, who worked diligently to tend the few fields that they could under such harsh conditions. This pub was the place they could warm up together… to be together. Now? They’ll forget everything they tediously learned about each other.

An old veteran who was wounded in one of the conflicts, honoured by the Lord General. She did everything to protect the lives that she treasured much more than her own, something that even then she wanted to do, but with a crippled leg: couldn’t. The final moments of her second memory were scattered, and for what?

The dark didn’t like doing this, it hated this. But what better way to understand why it was doing this?

All of their names registered, what they did and who they knew. The dark knew they would forget their names again, and everything that they did in their last attempt at life. At least they had the opportunity to do it all again, to perhaps improve and be better.

The dark didn’t.

The dark reached behind and pulled free a light pouch that contained an assortment of gold and silver coins, it gently placed a single silver coin on the bar where it left an absolute state of confusion. At least its suspicions had been confirmed by the local chatter--whether they realised it or not--there was something ‘other’ about a life who had just wandered into a world that it wouldn’t understand. This other would be poisoned by an extreme to be biased against another if the dark stood by and didn’t do a thing… and that radicalisation would prove to be problematic, if it were to consume the other.

“You promised us peace!” A shrill voice screamed in the head of the dark.

“Don’t leave! Please, never leave!” Another cried.

“You were a friend,” a distinct third rose that immediately boiled the dark’s blood, “we placed our trust in you, and yet you betray that?”

“Yeah, I certainly do.” The dark muttered under its breath, walking carefully over the prone shapes of the ponies toward the door that would let it leave, “I’m not doing what that trust requires no more…”


Lost Light was trembling while standing completely still.

She felt exposed and alone, but at the same time she felt protected and surrounded by something. Her coat was covered in some blackness that she didn’t understand… it felt weightless, as if it were her skin. What was her coat’s colour? She couldn’t remember anymore. All she understands is how natural this darkness felt, how inviting and tempting it was. All doubts seemed to… did she ever doubt anything?

NO.

That was Lost Light’s answer, that was always her answer. This was her now, a part of LIBERATION.

“I am quite pleased you have accepted your fate,” the Purpose spoke, “my poor child… how I understand pain. How I seek to purge it through ‘liberation.’ But unfortunately, there is something that should oppose equality.”

“The Light?” Lost Light found herself asking, though she didn’t remember wanting to speak.

“Something else.” The Purpose responded, “The power between this ‘Dark’ and ‘Light,’ the grey that consumes whatever it touches. The balance between our creation and our foes destruction. It seeks both.”

“It couldn’t help us in overthrowing the Light?”

“The enemy of our enemy is still a threat. This one perhaps poses a greater one than our original foe, if left unchecked. It shall seek to reap in the fields where it has not sown, and it shall leave everything desolate. It shall not just oppress, it shall destroy. It must be stopped, no matter the cost.”

“What am I required to do?” Lost Light struggled to say… why would she struggle to speak? It was as if they were daggers in her throat.

“We must correct it, lost light.” The Purpose sighed, “Ensure that it does not endanger everything that surrounds it.”


The Lord General paced back and forth within his War Chamber as he quietly deliberated, his heavy boots clanking against the shiny floor underhoof. With every turn he either faced Grad and her cityscape, or the vast and inhospitable wilderness that clawed at the walls that they built. It was a look either to progression and hope, or the consequence of failure and the desperation they would be in should they fail. Some considered Proud Defender an uncultured brute, and that was absolutely fine… but at least he could see the contrast and appreciate what each meant.

Defender remembered the day he woke. He remembered how he dragged himself across the inhospitable shores. He remembered he nearly died from starvation, and he remembered his first thoughts when he reached Grad: if he died again, it was fine… as long as they didn’t. Proud Defender wasn’t the one to take up that name, it was given to him by some foal and her family that he rescued from some abomination of the Dark.

Ponies flocked to him, and with every exploit they praised him. Defender redirected that and ensured that those he protected could see the potential that they had for good. He knew everypony by their name, and he spent what time he could afford to get to know them. The Lord General understood that they ultimately are what gave him strength, they were what empowered him to be great… and so they were above him. He was their servant, their friend.

They were stronger together. Nopony was strongest alone.

The doors to the War Chamber swung open as the Lord General kept his pacing for but a small moment while he waited for his guests to come closer. Eventually he determined it alright to turn his head and look at those who joined him, making out the shapes of Light Bearer, Snowstorm and Void Walker.

He smiled.

“Ay, what’s the news, Void?” Proud Defender asked heartily, “I’m wagering this lot are your vigils?”

“I think everything went alright?” Void Walker responded with a clear uncertainty.

“Yeah, new light,” Snowstorm replied with a smirk, “everything’s fine. Just need to remember that it’s on your part to learn what it means to be in the Iron Order.”

“I’m a bit confused,” Void replied, looking up to Defender, “are you an Arbiter? A Prosecutor?”

The Lord General laughed something he clearly knew that Void wasn’t expecting. Defender turned on a heel and approached the massive map that marked the centre of the War Chamber, he calmed himself and responded: “Nah, mate… I’m nothing of the sort! As much as I appreciate the efforts of my fellow brothers and sisters, my sole responsibility rests here as the head of Grad’s armies. The Iron Order cannot answer to anything other than righteousness, but I’ve got a head over me.”

“The Administrator?”

“Bingo!” Defender smiled, “But that’s good news that you’re going to be uplifted by vigils, that is very good news… it’s a difficult place to be, to be one of the lot. But you’ll do fine just as long as you keep your head straight. But for now, that means that you’re a free pony… unless, you’d like to do your part and work in the defence.”

Void blinked in response to Defender’s suggestion and replied simply: “That’s what I thought I’d be doing anyways.”

“Excellent, we’ll put you through the enlistment and training… but as for your rags, those probably should change.”

Void looked up at him again as Snowstorm laughed a bit, glancing him up and down before she offered unhelpfully: “I don’t know, Defender… I think the rust really fits him.”

“Yes,” Defender rolled his eyes, “yeah, I forgot that looks come before sturdy equipment! Anyways, Void, it’d be best if you get yourself to an outfitter. We’ll get you something a bit more respectable than a rusted greatcoat, and supplies. Afterwards, report back to me and we’ll get you locked for training.”

“Training?” Void asked like a child.

“You heard me, new blood. Training. You’ll go with your brother and sisters, and once we figure out specifically what you can do, we’ll shake it up… who knows? Perhaps by then, your vigils here will decide that you are ready to take on the Burden.” The Lord General responded as he gestured toward the door, “Now if you don’t mind, I’ve got a meeting with the Commanders in a few. If there are anymore questions, I’ll have to answer them later… show them what you’re made of, Void.”

“Actually, Lord General--” it was Light Bearer who started to speak, as Defender turned his attention immediately to the Prosecutor: “if you have a moment I would like to speak.”

“Well, you’re standing here. Speak.”

“In private.”

Light Bearer usually never wanted to speak in private, and generally she wasn’t as quiet as she had been. The Lord General lifted an eyebrow as he nodded his head toward a confused looking Void Walker and Snowstorm. The griffon and the other unicorn immediately caught on that they should leave as they spun around and walked through the doors which were afterwards closed.

Defender watched as Light approached him slowly, stopping just a few metres before him. Light spoke in a hushed tone: “I wish not to take too much of your time, but Lord General, I wish to underline a concern I have.”

“Yeah?” The Lord General responded, “What is it?”

“Void Walker.” Light responded simply, “I believe you understand the specific danger that is associated with that word.”

“Void?”

“Yes, ‘void.”

The Lord General sighed as he turned away from the Prosecutor and looked longingly at the map he had drawn out. He tapped his forehoof on the war table, as he considered what he should say.

“It’s precisely what we need.” Defender vaguely responded, “Yeah, I understand that’s not very helpful, but listen here: if we are going to be able to fight the Dark to any considerable degree, then we’re going to need somepony that’ll be able to understand it just as well as he’d understand the Light. He’s already sympathetic to our cause, and for that we’ll need to guide him.”

“If he is going to have to learn about the Dark, then did you consider that he will fall to it?”

“You know as well as I do, I’m not going to let that happen!” Defender said sternly, “But we’ll need to be honest with him. There’s not going to be a secret disagreement among us, that’s what causes trouble.”

“Lord General,” Light paused momentarily, “Proud Defender, I do not disagree with your judgement. I would never suggest that we abandon our trust, but if he truly has the power we suppose him to have--”

“If he falls, then we’ll be there to catch him. But I’ll never allow for anypony to be pushed away!”

“That was not what I was suggesting, Defender…”

“I know…” Defender sighed, “alright, you’ve got a point. We’ll watch him together, and we’ll do everything we can… but if he’s called to learn about the Dark, we’ll need to accept that’s an impulse he can’t control. But you will tell him yourself what your concerns are, and you’ll do it today.”

“Defender, if he does not understand what--”

“Today.” Defender enforced as Light simply blinked, “No secrets among us, not among the new lights.”

The doors to the War Chamber swung open and a pegasus walked casually into the place, Defender glanced toward her with interest as Light followed to see the approaching pony. She wore a red detailed armour with a white camouflage pattern on her bodyglove, her wings decorated silver and red. Her burning orange eyes locked on the Lord General as she approached carelessly.

“Hey,” the pegasus simply said, “you two just chatting?”

“Discussing.” Light seemingly corrected, “Have you heard the news, Commander?”

“I’ve seen it myself, so if you’d like to cancel the gathering Defender, the Commanders are ready to investigate.”

Proud Defender blinked and tilted his head to one side, he glanced between a similarly confused Light Bearer and the pegasus. The Commander waited impatiently for a few seconds, before she prodded the conversation: “You haven’t heard?”

“What is it?” Defender asked.

“So, you didn’t hear? A pub in the southern district… well, everypony their lost their memories. Names and everything, they have no clue what’s going on. It’s like it’s starting all again, the ‘forgetting?”

“You’re telling me--”

“Precisely what I’m telling you…” The Commander replied, “I know how much you’d like to talk about the Project, but this is a bit more pressing, don’t you think?”

“Lock down the district, and quarantine the area.” The Lord General said in a rough voice, “Skyline: get the Commanders to their station, anything that tries to leave they suspend immediately for questioning. Light: gather Snowstorm.”

“On it, Defender.” Burning Skyline responded as she turned and immediately darted out of the War Chamber.

“Lord General--” Light attempted to say.

“This is priority, Light.” Defender interrupted, “We’re not wasting a moment. Void’ll be fine.”

And with that, the Lord General set off to leave the chamber as the Prosecutor stood silently by for a moment. Defender could tell that she was looking out of one of the windows, but whether she was looking out to the city or to the wilds he couldn’t tell. He only prayed that if she was looking out to the wilds, she was looking at them with the same reverence and respect he had.