• Published 24th Aug 2019
  • 5,032 Views, 79 Comments

Reunion - KitsuneRisu



Every year, Twilight and her friends meet to catch up on really old times.

  • ...
12
 79
 5,032

Let us meet, just once more

The castle looked as it always did, with a few minor changes.

Instead of banners streaking the walls, there were now cracks where small animals made their homes.

Instead of crystal chandeliers, there were overgrown roots where sunlight could slip through the gaps.

Instead of six chairs and a table, there was Twilight.

She was the first to arrive. She always had been. Even back when they were gallivanting around the countryside, saving the world from this, that, and whatnot. It was only polite.

The space where the crystal map had been was now taken up by a large statue of Twilight and her friends. But that too had long gone unkempt, and slithering vines had crawled up, snaking around limbs and faces. The six of them had agreed, long ago, after retirement, to let life continue as it should, and give their glory to the next few who deserved it.

The castle had turned from base to museum to remembrance. And soon, people found new things to remember. It was simply the way of things, and it was quite a surprise how fast it happened, considering.

Twilight always mused about time. After all, she had an eternity to do so.

“You know, I’ve always wanted to trim that a little,” a voice came from behind her.

Twilight turned.

“Hey, babe,” Rainbow said, waving. A smile, as strong as she could manage, came out from behind aged eyes. The colour in her hair had faded, and resembled less of a rainbow and more of a box of pastel crayons — muted tones cut with grey.

The princess, still as young as ever, albeit a bit larger, returned the smile with a huge grin of her own.

“I don’t quite like that one there,” Dash coughed, pointing up at a vine that unceremoniously entangled her face on the statue. “Feels a bit disrespectful if you ask me.”

“So, go fly up and pull it down,” Twilight chuckled.

“Very funny, eggo,” Dash grumbled. “When are you gonna quit that, huh? You know I miss flying.”

Twilight smiled at the rumbling. Dash was never really complaining, although she had to, to keep up her character. She was happy now, even though it took her a long time to finally accept it.

“Maybe you could climb?” Twilight suggested.

“What, and get into another accident? You want me to break both my wings now?” Dash snorted. “Old age has made you mean, you know that?”

“You call it mean,” Twilight shrugged with a giggle. “I call it being realistic.”

“Oh, what do you know about realism!” Dash countered. “Between the two of us, it’s your head that’s still in the clouds!”

Twilight burst out laughing. “Ah, so true!” she chortled.

“Anyway. Let’s mark it down for next time, alright? Clean my face up. It’s pretty much the only part left of me that ain’t broken. I’d like to preserve that.” Dash nodded slowly.

Twilight’s laughter cut out. She nodded as well, looking up from the statue back down to Dash. “Sure. But you know? You should be proud. I hope you realise that.”

“Proud of what? Being the only one in history kicked out of the Wonderbolts?”

“You weren’t kicked out, Dash. You were honorably discharged.”

“Fine. Then I was the only one in history kicked out using a fancy word.”

“Dash. Come on. Every year we go through this.” Twilight pursed her lips.

“Yeah, well, humour me. You think my kids care? ‘Mommy, mommy’, they cry alllll day. ‘Read me the latest books, mommy’. Yeah well, read ‘em yourself.”

“Dash, you’re literally a hero. And a mother. Your work in the wonderbolts… well. It’s gonna last more than this place, definitely. How are your kids, by the way?”

“Dunno. Ask them the next time you see ‘em.” Dash shrugged, grumping.

Twilight snorked. “Yeah, yeah. Look. We’ll fix your face, okay? And then after that, we’ll remove the vines from the statue.”

“Thanks, Twi.” Dash said, smacking her dry mouth, before catching up. “Hey, wait.”

“You heard what she said!” another voice called out, echoing down the corridor.

Two other ponies walked up, both tired, both worn. Despite that, still pushing through.

“Heya, guys.”

Side by side they walked. One still refusing to give up her hat, and the other still as quiet as ever.

“Finally here, huh?” Dash commented. “Well, at least you’re not fashionably late, or whatever excuse Pinkie’s gonna give.”

“Ya know, every year you get more and more ornery. You know what it is? Not enough fiber in your diet.” Applejack said. “It’s true! I wrote the book!”

“She wrote the book,” Twilight chimed it. “It’s true.”

“That ain’t in your damn books,” Dash said, corner of her mouth stretching out. “You know what’s in your books? It’s just apple apple apple apple and oh, here’s another apple and then more apples.”

“Well, I mean…” Applejack laughed, “you ain’t wrong there. Write what you know, right?”

“Yeah, but I never expected you to be the one to do word stuff. You know?”

“Hey, and what is that supposed t’ mean?” Applejack widened her eyes, staring down the rim of her brow.

“What I mean is that farmers don’t usually have the, you know, stuff! To write!”

“And just what kind of stuff is that? You know, as a published author, I can tell you that ya word choices are real bad!”

“You want words?” Dash shot back. “I got words for days!”

The bickering had begun. As it was every year, the two of them never denied the opportunity to butt heads.

“Just like old times, eh?” Twilight said, sidling up to Fluttershy, who was watching from the corner with bemusement.

“Oh, most definitely so,” Fluttershy said. “It’s healthy, actually.”

“Yeah?”

“Mmm. Yes.” Fluttershy nodded. “You see, as we age, and as you know, we… are of that age, we simply need outlets. Life gets stressful, after all. Life is complicated. We need ways to get it out, as it were, and sometimes, arguing with a best friend is a great form of catharsis. Of course, you’d probably want to step in before someone starts throwing punches.”

Fluttershy giggled.

Twilight looked on.

It was strange, sometimes, how people changed. Fluttershy was a prime example of how someone can both change the most and nearly not at all at the same time.

She now sported a shorter hairstyle. Something neat, clean, and altogether appropriate for the clinical work she did in her practice. She now sported an impressive vocabulary, and was pinpoint precise at digging down to details — something that Twilight was personally extremely proud of.

And yet, she still spoke softly, securely, calmly, and with a gentleness that made any one of her patients comfortable enough to spill their secrets and open up their hearts.

“So, these two nutcases aside,” Twilight asked, “How’s work?”

Fluttershy shot Twilight a look. “Now, now. We never use the word ‘nutcase’ to refer to patients. First of all, it’s not polite. And secondly, they might be allergic to nuts.”

“Doctor Fluttershy!” Twilight gasped. “Was that a joke?”

“Yes. I make jokes now. Do you like it? It took me two years in an advanced course to finally get the nuances. I nearly failed the test, but luckily I remembered that puns were a form of humour, too.”

Twilight couldn’t help but snort. “You’ve come a long way, haven’t you?”

“I like to think so.”

The two of them watched Applejack and Rainbow Dash fight for a while. They had moved on to the benefits and disadvantages of chunky peanut butter.

“Do you ever miss the simple days?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah. Sometimes. It was quieter then. Literally, for me.” Fluttershy responded.

“Man, you’re on a roll today.”

“Thank you.”

“But, you know? We meet once a year now. And it’s… weird.”

“How so?” Fluttershy flicked her eyes sideways.

“Because back in the day, and I don’t even mean when we were doing all that harmony stuff, but we saw each other nearly on a daily basis. And we never ever ran out of things to talk about. Things to do. But here we are now.” Twilight turned as well, to look Fluttershy in the eyes. “Meeting only once a year and… every year starts to feel the same. Everyone arrives. We talk. They fight. And then we leave. Has it become that predictable?”

“Well,” Fluttershy said. “I think that’s just part of life, isn’t it? Once we live this long… well. It’s not like any of us have done anything particularly new for the last few years, have we? There’s just no new stories to tell.”

Fluttershy tilted her head.

“Well, except for you, probably! You’re the one always doing new stuff! And every year you never share. You should, Twilight. This year, maybe. Tell us a story. You know we’ll always listen.”

“Yeah. Maybe.” Twilight’s smile faded. “We’ll see.”

The argument suddenly took over, fading back into earshot as Dash gave off a sudden burst of defeat.

“Okay! Fine! Beetroots aren’t a good substitute for toothpaste. Okay?” she yelled, throwing her legs up.

“That’s all I wanted ya to say,” Applejack huffed.

“Hey. Hey.” Dash motioned to Fluttershy. “Come here! Listen, I got a head question for ya. Okay?”

“Sure,” Fluttershy said, flitting over.

“Look, is there like some kind of… you know, brain thing which explains why somepony might prefer crunchy peanut butter over smooth?” Dash asked.

“Oh, I’ll be a monkey’s bottom,” Applejack cried out exasperatedly. “She still ain’t done!”

Twilight quickly rushed over. “Okay, how about we go talk over there instead?”

“Hmph!” Applejack harrumphed, a sound she stole from her brother. “Every year. It’s always th’ same. Arguin’ about silly things.”

“She’s old, AJ,” Twilight said.

“We’re all old. Ya don’t see me actin’ like that now, do ya?”

“Well. You sorta kinda just did, to be fair.”

Applejack stood there, adjusting her jaw.

“Yeah, aight. You gotta point there.”

“So,” Twilight continued, continuing to steer Applejack away. “What happy things have been going on in your life?”

Applejack sniffed. “Well, ya know. Farm’s going well under Applebloom’s management. But you knew that already, didn’t ya.”

“Yeah. I mean, the reports come in frequently.”

“I guess everythin’s fine, really. Ain’t much else ta tell ya. You know I’ve been too weak to continue farm stuff on acount of this weird thing I have in my back. But my books continue t’ sell well, and I think we’ve really gone quite far helpin’ out all those orphans thanks to that.”

“Trust me,” Twilight said happily. “There’s never been a more generous case of philanthropy in all of Equestria.”

“It was Bloom’s idea, ya know? After a certain year, she just said, ya know? Why don’t we just help others with it? Not like I need the money anymore, all things considered.”

“You never needed ‘the money’ though,” Twilight mused. “You only ever used what you needed.”

“And that’s how we all should live, if y’asked me. Not wastin’ our hard-earned bits on buying some silly fancy yacht or whatever.”

Second yacht, I believe you mean,” came the fifth voice, appearing out of nowhere.

With a vibrant ‘oh ho ho’, Rarity swept in, suddenly stealing the attention and thunder from everyone else in the room. Around her neck she wore a boa made out of a hundred phoenix feathers, and across her back she draped what appeared to be silk lined with ursa fur.

“I am here, ladies! The party may now begin!” she trilled, dancing to the center of the room.

“Oh, dear lord,” Applejack muttered.

The room fell silent.

You could hear a crystal shatter.

“What, too much?” Rarity asked, cheekily.

Finally, Twilight spoke. “You nearly had us there for a moment.”

“Oh, blah,” Rarity said. “Can’t a girl have a little fun?”

She pulled the boa and cloak off, tossing them into the corner. When they landed, it was much clearer to see. The feathers were stiff, plasticy, and were hastily glued onto a thick piece of rope, and the cloak was merely cotton and sewn together in a rush.

“Rarity, we really can’t tell, sometimes,” Dash said. “It was almost as surprising as your first epiphany.”

“It’s fun to pretend, once in a while,” Rarity said. “Dusting off the old sewing machine. It takes a while to get back into it, you know! But perhaps it’s just been too long.”

“Man, I didn’t know you even kept that thing,” Applejack commented.

“It’s the only thing I kept, darling.” Rarity said. “To remind me.”

“So where’s your regular… outfit? Thing?” Dash asked. “Ain’t you supposed to wear it everywhere?”

“First of all, they’re called monastic robes, dear,” Rarity said. “Second of all, no, actually. That’s a misconception. You see, living with the world simply means being fulfilled with the least amount of anything that you need.”

“I’m glad to see it’s working out, Rarity,” Fluttershy said from the back.

“Oh, my dear. You know, I almost thought you were insane the first time you suggested it to me. But now, what a relief! I feel things again, my head is clear, I no longer have that weight in my chest, and food! Did you know food tastes good?”

“Yes, Rarity,” Fluttershy chuckled. “We do remember.”

“And the most surprising thing of all, my fellow ponies, is —”

“ — I don’t miss any of the old days,” every other pony chorused.

Rarity coughed.

“Well. I might have told this little story before.”

“Yeah, maybe a little!” Dash said. “Only every year!”

“But well. I still feel it now, and I still definitely recommend our dear friend Doctor Fluttershy for all your mental anguish needs!”

“What’s it like working out there, though?” Applejack asked. “In the dragonlands.”

“Oh, the relief efforts grow daily. Perhaps it isn’t progressing as fast as we like. It’s been at a standstill for a few years now, due to the tensions causing more and more displacement, but… oh! You know?” Rarity suddenly remembered. “I run into Spike sometimes. He’s grown!”

“Oh yeah,” Twilight nodded. “He used to send letters back to me saying he met you here and there.”

“Ain’t you afraid of the danger, though?” Applejack asked.

“Danger, schmanger,” Dash interjected. “Ain’t no point doin’ anything if you ain’t gonna have a bit of risk, right?”

“Certainly right!” Rarity agreed. “And besides, nothing will happen to me. I have Spike out there somewhere to save me, don’t I?”

Rarity turned to Twilight, winking.

“Yeah,” Twilight said, smiling, but only barely so.

“So… we’re nearly ready to start the reunion,” Applejack said. “But… where’s Pinkie?”

“Heya,” Pinkie said.

Five heads turned all of a sudden, staring at the dark corner.

A figure stood there, leaning casually against a broken boulder, dressed in a trenchcoat and a wide-brimmed hat.

“Been here a while, really,” Pinkie held out a hoof as-a-matter-of-factly.

“Ah. Of course. As usual,” Dash rolled her eyes.

The pink pony pushed herself off the rock, standing up straight, gliding slowly to the rest of the group. “You know, I keep doing it just to see when any of you are gonna notice me. And you never do. You’d think after so many years you’d have realised already.”

“Not all of us are as smart as you, yeah?” Dash told her.

“Hey, hey now. No need to be bitter,” Pinkie said calmly.

“You know, you’re the opposite of Rarity.” Dash said.

“How so?”

“I kinda wish we had the old you back.”

“Well, you know. I’m still kinda sorta here,” Pinkie said. “I’ve just learned to… apply the energy differently.”

“See, this is why thinking too much is bad,” Dash claimed, pointing an accusatory hoof. “This is what happens when you put all your extra energy into thinking. You turn into some kinda…. Some kinda Shetlock Hooves.”

“I mean, that is actually my job, now,” Pinkie said. “Soooo…”

“But you’re pink, and you appear out of nowhere!”

“You know, interestingly enough, pink is a very hard colour to see in darkness, and being able to move silently to surprise people is kind of useful to my line of work.”

“Yeah, but the parties, Pinkie! The parties!”

“We’re too old for parties.” Pinkie shrugged.

Dash gasped, loudly, and far more obnoxiously than required. “The day has come when you said that thing that you just said!”

“Real smooth, Dash.”

“Yeah, I know, right?” Dash grunted.

“We all gotta grow up sometime.”

“Naw, we don’t!” Dash argued. “Twi? What do you think?”

Twilight stood there, blinking at the question.

“I… don’t know,” Twilight answered. “I’m not really sure.”

“Well, thanks for helping!” Dash cried out.

“Speaking of parties,” Pinkie said snidely. “I love what you’ve done with the place this year. I especially like how you covered up the worst part of our statue with vines.”

“Oi!” Dash cried.

And soon, they were fighting again. A boisterous, energetic fight where a straight-laced Pinkie teased and goaded a cranky Dash; where a concerned Fluttershy tried to defuse the situation while a chaste and humble Rarity recited word of dragon wisdom; where Applejack just stood by and commented on things as they did.

Every year.

Twilight turned from it all, walking slowly back to the statue in the middle of the room, letting the words and noise fade into the back of her head.

She looked up, again. At the vines.

With a burst of magic, she pulled on the one wrapping around Dash’s face, letting leaves and twigs and detritus gently scatter to the floor.

“There, Dash,” she whispered. “I’ve done what you asked.”

She turned, slowly. Looking at the room.

Instead of banners streaking the walls, there were now cracks where small animals made their homes.

Instead of crystal chandeliers, there were overgrown roots where sunlight could slip through the gaps.

Instead of six chairs and a table, there was a statue, and five shiny plaques attached to five shiny marble markers.

One by one, she greeted her friends.

In the line of duty, in service of the Wonderbolts.

Of sickness, and poor health.

Of old age, peacefully in her sleep.

In a landslide, while doing relief work along the borders of the dragon lands.

During her job, with one too many surprising elements.

Twilight cleared her throat.

“So…” she said, her voice wavering. “I wanted to tell you about my year.”

She stopped there, lowering her head.

She always tried.

She always wanted to tell her stories.

She knew they’d always listen.

But the words never came out.

She opened her mouth, but all she could afford was a choke, as tears started pouring down her face.

She grit her teeth and squeezed her eyes together, gasping, rubbing her face with a dampening leg.

And then she turned, facing the empty room and cobwebs.

And slowly made her way back home.

They were old now.

And all they had left were reunions.

Comments ( 79 )

ouch, right in the feels

I have to say, even if the ending didn't surprice me, this was a very good read. There will be a time when we really won't be anything but our memories, and that even while we're still alive. Good one.

Very well done. The twist was expected but not unwelcome.

9797961
9797967
Yeah , I wasn't entirely going for the twist to be a main focus. I wrote this more for a practice of tone and character interaction, as one of those quick fixes. It's a very cliche and overdone set up, I know. But I just felt like giving it a shot. And I literally did it over my lunch break a couple hours ago instead of working. =)

It's great that you liked it though. Thanks!

Ouch, sucker punch right to the feels.

It wasn't unexpected, but it was smooth, and it's the elephant in the room ever since they gave Twilight wings. I would have liked to heard what she's been up to, but that's part of the charm of this story.

Hmm, another take on Twilight outliving her friends. Makes me wonder if the show continued beyond season 9 if she would've sacrificed her immortality to be able to see her friends in the afterlife.

We'll meet again,
don't know where,
don't know when,
but I know we'll meet again,
some sunny day...

this was a great, sad read and I enjoyed it a great deal. Very believable story for Twilight and how she'd feel as the last one of her group left. Tugged at the heartstrings wonderfully. Kudos! :raritywink:

I often find my head in the clouds thinking what would happen when all our friends are old. Who will be left while some wallow in the old rickety rocking chair. Who can still leave the house to mingle without breaking any bones. Stories like this bring me back to that thinking space leaving this sad feeling followed by a regret that shall soon be felt in the later years of not enjoying my now limited youth.

:moustache: Seven thrones ... I got the small one
:duck: Of course the Dragon Lands, How else could I keep tabs on my Spikey Wikey
:pinkiecrazy: Did you see my Mini Me? I lost her. . .
:flutterrage: Discord! I don't care if Pinkie wants chocolate rain, Make Eris stop!
:rainbowderp: My kids broke all my records and raided the fridge
:ajsmug: Yep, Apples
:facehoof:

The Song The Parting Glass came to mind when I read this story it is often stated to worry no of the future or the past but stick to the present for that is were life with family and friends is happening and the most important thing to Remember Rule Number 34 of Zombie land
Enjoy the Little Things

9798925
Oh, hey! You're still around!

9798937
I distinctly remember rule 34 being something completely different

so was she imagining the conversation?
or were they actualy there, visiting from beyond the veil and shes just sad that they can only speak to her, but cant hear her back.

9798937
Zombie land rule

From what I can tell from the context it seems to me that Twilight was using a type of memory magic so she could relive that moment in her life. The last time she saw all of her friends together in that one room but when she used the magic to fix the vines and such it dispelled the spell and returned her to the actual present. She knew what she was seeing was an illusion but it's the only way she can coupe with losing the ponies that she treasured most in her life.

Right in the feels...

The atmosphere and tone are masterfully constructed and had my heart in a vise the entire time. Absolutely beautiful portrayal of a potential future that manages to balance the expected with the surprising, and the melancholic with the cheerful. The twist ending was neat too, but the story would've worked even without it, which I find to be a good thing.

Mm, that transition. This was nicely crafted, and it definitely leaves me feeling the feels.

9797968
I think the story benefits from the twist not being the heart of it. Too many writers miss their mark trying to out-clever the audience!

Also, this was a sweet, sad little read. And such unexpected directions for the girls to have grown into as they grew old!

9799321
There's a principle of writing that I follow.
For the life of me I forgot who said it but it's really good advice that I take.
Basically:
Once you play your hand early, it forces you to draw new cards.
If everyone already knows what you have in your hand, in this case the twist, might as well just play it without ceremony so that your new draw (in this case I focused on the journey) will be much more effective.

And thank you for reading!

God, I am the worst reader ever. I knew what was coming at the end of this little story, but I didn't wanna face it. Thinking it was gonna be something new. That twist at the end was beautifully written and the descriptions of the surroundings are magnificently sad. You've achieved greatness here. Be very proud. This story definitely made me cry. (I literally sobbed, it's so sad.)

In all seriousness though, fantastically beautiful work you've done here. :twilightsmile:

“You want words?” Dash shot back. “I got words for days!”

I gotta ask... Is that meant as a Lost Narrator reference?

This made me cry

9799402
Probably not, since I don't know what 'Lost Narrator' is.

It's just a phrasing that I like. "something for days"

9799487
Don't remember which one of the Blooper Specials it was on her youTube channel, but one of them has her shouting out, in RD's voice I might add, "I've got words for days!" and it was the only thing I could think of when I read that.

9799487
TheLostNarrator is a voice actress/YouTuber that voices mlp fanwork s, comics, etc.

Great story but again just like everyone you forget Spike why does everyone always forget Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike spike and let's be honest they have a very close relationship he would stick by Twilight especially if she's going through something as emotional as this it's implied that dragons live a long long time hell it's implied that they might be immortal he could have been there but no everyone always forgets Spike I'm sick of it is it a good story but I'm sick of everyone always forgetting Spike

Ouch. That hurts...

9799697
I mean, it might just be me, but I thought it was implied that Spike is grown, off on his own now. That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

The ending to the story got me cause someday we will just be remembered by memories and books

9798120
Or attempted to reverse the aging of her friends. Age spells exist, it would probably be within her abilities. And if it took centuries, that's what time travel is for.

I knew it was coming, but umph... right in the feels there at the end. Excellent job

Stories like this make me think of this excellent song, by someone else who is now gone before his time.

Sometimes I imagine I'll be the one reminiscing alone about all my friends who've passed. Other times, it seems like they'll be the ones doing the remembering. I want to hold onto the old saying that goes, "Don't be sad for the ones who've passed on. Be happy that you knew them."

Dinner For One (Princess)

I was already looking forward to what I assumed the ending would be (and was happily not disappointed- it's such an interesting, bittersweet concept) although I found myself skimming a bit in the middle, but even then it was all different enough to keep me engaged.
But that ending, that's the good stuff right there.

I saw this story pop up while I was at work, and knew that I'd have to put it on my to read later list because I knew the ending was going to be what it was, and even then I'm still crying my eyes out.

I came for the story, I stayed for the feels :(

9800470
You can interpret that way, I suppose. But, given the author mistakenly said there are six chairs around the table, Occums' Razor suggests that Spike's existence was once again forgotten or ignored.

9801874
Seems I missed that. While I don't personally think it disproves Spike being alive with his own life(which was all I was saying originally,) I have to admit it does add to the eternal pain of Spike not existing.

Comment posted by Stormy Nights deleted Aug 27th, 2019
Comment posted by Stormy Nights deleted Aug 27th, 2019

I should not have read the comments. The story hit the feels.
The comments just made me feel depressed and want to wallow in a pity party.

this is really sad, though i feel for Twilight when she just can't talk of her year

Login or register to comment