• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 12,712 Views, 1,879 Comments

Equestria Girls: A Fairly Odd Friendship - redandready45



For her next challenge, Sunset Shimmer must babysit an average kid who no one understands.

  • ...
40
 1,879
 12,712

PreviousChapters Next
Friendship is Experience

Crocker sat at the desk in his room, working on schematics for a new fairy hunting weapon, when a mysterious voice interrupted him.

"Hello, Crocker," the mysterious voice said.

Crocker looked up from his desk, his bespectacled eyes narrowed. "Who goes there?" Crocker asked suspiciously.

"Me," the voice sang. Crocker heard it coming from his partially opened window. What he saw made his jaw drop.

What looked like a fairy was hovering in front of his window.

"Hi there," the 'fairy' apparently said. "I'm a fairy. How would you like to catch me?"

"Really?" Crocker asked excitedly.

"Oh no," the 'fairy' warned. "I am getting away." It seemed to flutter away.

"Fairies, fairies, FAIRIES!" Crocker yelped in sheer exhiliration, grabbing a net from somewhere before leaping out the window, knocking away the window screen to try and catch the flying creature.

From the roof of the garage Crocker lived over, Timmy cackled with joy. He held up the "fairy", really the crude picture of a fairy that had been dangled in front of Crocker with a fishing rod, with sheer joy.

"Crockpot, you're just too easy," Timmy said, watching his crazed hunting teacher running around the neighborhood trying to catch the 'fairy'.

Timmy entered Crocker's room through the open window, and looked around, trying to find Crocker's secret lab.

"Come on, come on," Timmy said to himself, "where-,"

"Denzel!" Timmy turned around and saw Mrs. Crocker had burst into the room. "Mommy has some chores you need to do," the grey-haired woman said, "I-". the woman paused when she realized some stranger, and not her son, was in the room.

"Who are you?" The woman asked with some suspicion.

"Uh Timmy Turner," the buck-toothed boy said.

A wistful smile formed on the aged woman's face. "You're the sweet boy my son wants to destroy," Mrs. Crocker remarked.

"Uh-,"

"My son has such an active imagination doesn't he?" the old lady thought, not taking the dark-haired man's rants about world domination seriously. "May I ask where my little Denzel went?"

"Uh errands."

"And not to be rude, but may I ask why your here?"

"Uh, Dimmsdale Elementary is offering free cleaning services to its staff."

The woman smiled excitedly. "Yay, free help!" Mrs. Crocker said cheerfully. "I'll go get you some supplies, be right back." While the woman was walking away, Timmy began poking around the room.

"If I were Crocker, where would I put my fairy hunting equipment?" Timmy said to himself.

There was a massive poster of Crocker on the wall, with a crown on his head and a staff. With a frown and a sigh at how stupidly obvious it was, Timmy pulled down the poster, revealing a hidden door.

"Yes," Timmy said happily, as he walked up to the door. "Once again, Crocker, I can count on you to be a bumbling-" he tried to turn the knob, only for it to be locked.

"OK, not so bumbling," Timmy lamented with a sigh, noticing he needed a key to get inside. He looked at the knob and back to his teeth. "Everyone always says my teeth could cut through metal. Time to put that to the test."

Ms. Crocker returned to the room with a mop and a pail full of cleaning supplies.

"Be sure to use the ammonia on the-," Mrs. Crocker trailed off when she saw an unusual sight.

The Turner boy was gnawing on the knob like dog would a chew toy.

"What are you doing?" The white haired woman asked Timmy in confusion.

Timmy realized he was being noticed and stopped. "Uh, trying to test the finish on the metal."

"Oh I see," Mrs. Crocker said with a smile. "You need a key to clean Denzel's 'secret' closet." Mrs. Crocker walked away and returned a few moments later with a bunch of keys.

"Here's the key to the closet," Mrs. Crocker said, handing the bucktoothed boy a small silver key.

"Thanks," Timmy said, unable to believe his luck.

"The key to Denzel's weapons safe," the old lady said, handing Timmy a slightly larger bronze key, "the key to his ammunition safe," Timmy was handed a iron key, this time one that was hard to hold since it was bigger than a TV.

"Uh," Timmy said, straining to hold up this key.

A giant gold one was dropped on Timmy.

"And the key to the safe with his tracking equipment," Mrs. Crocker said blissfully. "Make sure to get those corners," the senior citizen advised Timmy before walking away.

Timmy, after some effort, was able to push the giant gold key off of himself with a sigh.

"Well, at least I have the keys," Timmy said.

After opening the closet and the safes, Timmy gathered as many weapons he could carry into his backpack. The Dazzlings weren't morons, and he needed to be ready for them. In his haste, he accidentally knocked over several things in Crocker's room, making an even bigger mess than before.

"Perfect," Timmy said happily, seeing the equipment he had. He was about to leave when he saw Mrs. Crocker returning.

"Just wanted to check up on-," Crocker's mother paused when saw the room was still the same. "Why is the room a bigger mess?" Mrs. Crocker asked Timmy with a mixture of suspicion and dissapoinment, seeing everything in disarray due to Timmy pilfering his teacher's equipment.

"I wanted to move everything out of the way first," Timmy lied.

"Good thinking," the elderly woman said with an accepting smile, "I'm so glad to have someone as resourceful as you in mu house. I would do the work myself, but, athiritis has eaten away at my hands." The old lady held up her hands, which were horribly withered, much to Timmy's disgust.

"I can't clean like I used to," Mrs. Crocker lamented, "and Denzel spends more time with his crazy magic theories than with helping his mommy."

"Really," Timmy said, feeling some pity for the woman.

"Which is why when you offered to clean, it felt like my salvation was at hand," she chirped, "I would hate it if you turned out to be some awful liar who got my hopes up and smashed them to pieces." Mrs. Crocker walked away again, leaving behind a reflective Timmy.

Timmy wanted to leave. Needed to leave. Cosmo and Wanda were in danger after all. But that woman sounded like she needed help. And...well...

"I can always wish her house clean when I get my fairies back," Timmy said to himself. He started to leave the room, only to sit still in nervous thought. "But...not before she found out I was lying."

Timmy normally didn't have a problem with lying to save the day. But then he remembered Sunset yelling at him for his lies.

He pushed that thought away. Sunset was only pretending to like him. Why should he care about what she thinks?

But then he remembered Applejack, her green eyes honed in him, telling him off for lying as well, and her words about responsibility.

"When y'all make a mess, you've got to clean it up."

Timmy looked around the room he trashed. Again he shouldn't care. She was like all the liars in his life who pretended to like him. It was Crocker's room anyways.

But just because Applejack was pretending to like him didn't make her words about hard work any less valid. And that nice old lady needed some help.

"Cosmo and Wanda can wait," Timmy said with a sigh. He took the mop, and started moping Crocker's room.


One Hour Later

Mrs. Crocker returned to the room.

"Hello Timmy," the old woman began, "how did-," she let out a gasp. "It's, It's....BEAUTIFUL!" Mrs. Crocker looked around her son's room, marveling at the cleaning job Timmy did. "You even cleaned in the corners too. Thank you so much, Timmy!"

"You're...welcome," Timmy panted while resting on the floor, feeling like his arms were about to fall off. "It this all?" He asked with a mixture of exhaust and pleading

"Well, I would normally ask you to clean some other things," Mrs. Crocker said. "But you look exhausted...so...you can leave if you want."

Timmy immediately began running out of the room.

"WAIT!" Timmy paused just as he turned around, meekly turning back at the smiling woman.

"Yes," Timmy said anxiously, dreading another assignment from mother of his worst enemy. The smiling woman...

Handed him....a bag of snickerdoodles.

"What's this for?" Timmy asked.

"You're reward," Mrs. Crocker cooed as if Timmy was the most precious thing in the world, "you modest little boy."

"Well-," Timmy found himself being pulled into a hug.

"You're a wonderful child Timmy," Mrs. Crocker said happily as she squeezed the boy. Timmy realized that Mrs. Crocker was genuinely thankful, and decided to return the hug.

"Thanks Mrs. Crocker," Timmy said with honest gratitude.

"Just keep being a sweet little boy," Mrs. Crocker said in a way that, though corny, couldn't help but make Timmy smile. Saying a polite goodbye, Timmy walked out of the room.

"Well I got some snickerdoodles and some weapons," Timmy said happily. "At least something good happened."

He activated one of Crocker's tracking devices, some weird watch thing he wore on his wrist.

"Fairies detected," the watch said in a robotic tone, "in...Canterlot."

"I got to back to Canterlot," Timmy said. He pulled out a bus schedule and map of the bus routes. "The closest express bus to Canterlot is," Timmy observed, "...about ten blocks away." Timmy frowned at having to walk that distance. "I just hope nothing else gets in my way."

Timmy walked a little bit, only for something to get in his way. A big tall man.

"Sorry," Timmy began, only to feel his heart sink into his throat when he saw who it was.

"Truant Officer Shallowgrave," Timmy croaked.

"Turner," the man hissed ominously. "Since you're currently not in a school and it is," he glanced at his watch, "not 3PM, this makes you a delinquent." He retracted his hook hand for a deadly laser and aimed it at the boy.

"Could I offer you a snicker doodle to look the other way?" Timmy asked with a nervous smile.

The eyepatched man was not impressed. "Do you think I'm gonna refuse to do my duty for a snickerdoodle?"

"How about two snickerdoodles?"

The man's frowned deepened. "You drive a hard bargain, Turner." Timmy handed him some cookies and walked away.

"I need some...milk," Truant Officer Shallowgrave said, retracing his laser, and producing a platter that had a glass and a carton of milk.


"I just need to march down Grover Avenue," Timmy said, glancing at his map of the bus routes, "and I'll be all set. What could possibly go wrong?"

Up the road was a zoo that contained several animals that were large and dangerous.

One of the zookeepers, a thin woman with red hair named Susan, noticed a caged jaguar was becoming increasingly belligerent and angry.

"Joanna," Susan said with a concerned frown, "what's wrong, girl? Marv!" The woman said to a chubby redhead man who was sitting down and reading a newspaper.

"What is it?" The man asked.

"Joanna's acting up," the blond woman said fearfully. "What do we do? Joanna could hurt-"

"Don't worry," Marv said nonchalantly. "That cage is locked up tight. There is no possible way Joanna could escape."

The cage door immediately opened and Joanna lept out of the cage and leaped over the wall of the zoo.

"Well what do you know," Marv said happily. He reached into his biege pants. "I left the lock in my other pocket. Silly me!"

Susan facepalmed.


Timmy was walked down the street when something tackled him. It was a big, angry jaguar that stared at him with what looked like venomous hatred.

"Uh, nice kitty?"

The jaguar to angrily roared into his face.

"Ah, it's going to eat me," Timmy shrieked fearfully. But then Timmy remembered the words one girl told him after a similar situation.

"Sometimes, anger is just another way of being sad," Fluttershy said, "and what is the best way to help a sad person?"

Despite his fear, Timmy tried to be understanding. "Are you...OK?" Timmy asked the jaguar. The giant cat stopped her roaring and looked at him in confusion.


The zookeepers ran around and saw what was happening. The jaguar pounced on Timmy and looked like it was about to eat him.

"Oh no," Susan said. "Joanna's gonna kill that poor boy!"

"Don't worry," Marv said happily, holding up some documents. "Our liability forms have immunized us from any damages we would have to pay in case he was horribly mauled."

"Oh thank goodness," Susan said in a relieved tone. They watched as Joanna....

Started licking the boy.

"Look at that," Marv chirped, "he's savoring his juices! Don't worry kid, we have a liability form you can sign-"

"I don't think that's happening," Susan said, noticing the boy's shrieks were becoming...squeals of laughter.

The two zookeepers became increasingly confused as the boy pulled himself and began hugging Joanna, as if the big jungle animal was some ordinary house cat.


"You're such a good girl," Timmy cooed as he pet the massive jaguar. The spotted cat thanked him by licking him some more.

"Hey." Timmy looked up and saw what looked like a pair of zookeepers, based off of their outfits, run up to him and the jaguar.

"Joanna was all cranky this morning," a blond woman observed, "but she's licking you and letting you pet her?"

With a proud smile, Timmy revealed nasty splinter in his left hand. "I found this in her paw," the brown-haired boy said happily, "that's why Joanna was so cranky." The female jaguar again licked the brown-haired boy in gratitude.

"Good job son," the blond woman said, honestly amazed at how the boy had taken control of the situation.

"A liability lawsuit would've been disastrous-" the red-haired man began, before he collected himself, "I mean what matters is your safe," he lied.

"We'll take it from here sport," the blond woman began. The boy started to walk away, only for the jaguar to step in front of him.

"What does....Joanna want?" Timmy asked.

"Aww, she likes you," the blond woman cooed.

"Look, I think you're a nice...big...cat..thing," Timmy stammered, "but I'm really busy. We can hang out later." He walked away, leaving Joanna feeling like a lonely mother.

"Don't worry Jo," Susan said.

"I'm sure he'll be back," Marv said. The two began leading the female spotted cat back to the zoo. Yet the animal looked in Timmy's direction with longing.


After some more walking, Timmy finally reached the bus stop.

"Finally," Timmy said with some exhaustion. He triumphantly held up his bus pass. "With this, nothing can stop me from reaching Canterlot."

A gust of wind knocked his bus pass out of his hand, and it fell into a sewer drain.

"Darn it!" Timmy exclaimed. Timmy looked into the drain and saw his bus pass was floating in the sewer water.

"It's just a little grimey," Timmy said to himself nervously, "lt's still good, it's still good."

Suddenly, a sewer gator swam up to the license and ate it.

"It's still a little eaten, it's still good, it's still good."

The gator was then eaten alive by a shark, which then swam way.

"And...its gone," Timmy muttered, squeezing the bars of the storm drain in sheer anger. "What I am I going to do now?!" Timmy heard some noise ahead of him and saw he was near some public playground.

In it were....

He saw girls his own age playing, with the mothers watching them and sitting on the side. His hand fell into his chin as he developed an idea.

"I know," Timmy said happily. "I'll charm one of these girls into getting their parents into giving me a ride."

He stood in front of a bathroom mirror, praciting some pickup lines.

"Hey baby," Timmy said in a smarmy tone. "No," Timmy said, "that sounds too desperate."

"Am I in heaven, because I saw an angel-NO!" Timmy facepalmed over saying something so cheesy.

But then the advice of one purple haired girl came to him.

"The thing about girls is we are always insecure and nervous. We worry about finding the right guy. And saying things like that isn't really romantic. It makes us feel trapped and nervous. You have to be more subtle, because a girl needs to feel like she has a choice. If a girl feels forced, she'll run away from you."

"Subtle," Timmy said to himself.


Timmy walked up to some pretty redhead girl who was sitting on a park bench texting. She looked up from her phone in annoyance.

"Yeah," she said in annoyance.

"I just want to say I don't find you beautiful and attractive at all!" Timmy said with complete sincerity. A hand slapped him in the face.

"Creep," the redhead muttered before storming away in anger.

"Oh forget it," Timmy said angrily. He sat down on a bench with an angry sigh. He had a good plan, and now it was going to get derailed because he couldn't get a ride. He was so upset he felt like crying. He even heard it.

Wait. Timmy heard someone crying. He looked to his right and saw some short blond-haired kid in a weeping. He wore some beanie and a pair of blue suspenders. He was younger them him. So young, he looked like he was in kindergarten. Timmy realized why he was crying.

An ice cream cone laid on the ground.

"My ice cream," the kid wailed miserably.

Timmy felt bad for him. Not just because it looked like good ice cream. But he remembered all the times he felt that horrible. He wondered what he could do to make the kid feel better.

But then the memory of a pink-haired girl who had comforted him flooded into his mind.


"You want to go get washed up," Pinkie asked Timmy gently as they reached a bathroom.

"Sure," Timmy said in a small, sad voice. His eyes were still red and puffy from the crying. Before he got in, Pinkie presented Timmy with something.

"New pants," Timmy said, taking the blue pants that were identical to his wet ones. He looked at Pinkie with a grateful smile, and gave the pink haired girl a hug. "Thank you."

"Like I said," Pinkie Pie said gently, patting Timmy's head, "I help my friends." Timmy gave her a grateful smile, before going into the bathroom to change.


Timmy knew what he had to do.


Georgie was so upset over his ruined ice cream he didn't notice someone approaching him.

"Hey." Georgie looked up. Some bucktoothed boy was smiling at him and holding a cookie in his hand.

"Want one?" The boy said. Georgie stopped crying and looked at the boy with confusion.

"Why?" Georgie asked.

The boy thought it over for a moment. "Because I always help my friends," the boy said with absolute sincerity.

"You want to be...friends?" Georgie said. "Why? You're older than me."

"Why not," Timmy said with a shrug. "You seem cool."

Georgie was taken aback. Usually all the older kids avoided him. But here was a cool kid that wanted to be his friend. "Thank you," Georgie said, taking the cookie. He then ran up to the boy and gave him a hug. After a moment of hesistation, the boy hugged him back.

"Georgie!" Georgie broke from a hug to see someone tall, dark-haired, and female wander up to him.

"Hey Lizzie," Georgie said, running over to the dark-haired girl with a smile.

"Georgie," Lizzie said with some annoyance. "You know you're not supposed to talk to strangers,"

"That boy offered me a cookie after my ice cream fell," Georgia said happily. "He even said he wanted to be my friend."

"Really?" Lizzie asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," the boy said. "I just wanted to help."

A grateful smile formed on Lizzie's face. "Thank you so much," the teenaged girl said happily. "Is there anything I can do for you, uh-,"

"Timmy," the bucktoothed boy said with a smile. "And no, I'm just happy to help."

"You're being modest," the girl said. "That only makes me want to help you more!"

Timmy thought it over. He finally understood by what Rarity meant by...subtle.

It meant you had to behave like you cared about a girl's feelings. No pressure, no dumb presents, nothing. You had to make them feel like they could make their own choice. Like you respected their choice.

"Well," Timmy said, carefully choosing his own words, "I need a ride back to Canterlot. My parents...can't pick me up, but if you're too busy I under-,"

"I'm not too busy to help you," Lizzie said with a smile. "Come on, I'll take you back there myself." Timmy and Georgie followed Lizzie to the parking lot. To Timmy's joy, Lizzie owned a fancy blue sedan.

She gregariously opened the door, allowing Timmy to sit in the rear seat. Lizzie put Georgie in some kind of booster seat in the back as well before going to the steering wheel.

"So," Timmy said while Lizzie adjusted her mirrors, "are you two...brother and sister?"

"No, I'm Georgie's babysitter," Lizzie said."But I've babysat him for so long, he's like a brother to me.

Timmy frowned. "Really?"

"She's so cool, I wish she was," Georgie said happily.

"Yep," Lizzie said. She turned the key and started driving away. If she could see her rear view mirror, he could see Timmy looking down at the car floor with a somewhat troubled expression.

PreviousChapters Next