• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 12,716 Views, 1,879 Comments

Equestria Girls: A Fairly Odd Friendship - redandready45



For her next challenge, Sunset Shimmer must babysit an average kid who no one understands.

  • ...
40
 1,879
 12,716

PreviousChapters Next
Mending The Divide (Edited)

Success breeds arrogance.

It was a phrase Twilight read before, often in morality plays about rulers who let success get to their heads and allowed . She imagined it also applied to the snobbish nobles she grew up with in Canterlot who stared their nose down at the common pony. She never thought it would ever apply to her.

But today, she realized that her own self-image as an all-knowing defender of Friendship and Harmony had been that. Arrogance. In hindsight, she realized that all the success she had came not from her supposed competence, but from living one of the most charmed lives imaginable.

For most of her life, she had been benefited from being born with incredible magical ability, being the student of a Princess, and later becoming a Princess herself. The lauded positions she held, and the resources it afforded her, meant she faced none of the challenges of the common pony.

For most of her life, she petty worries she obsessed over were, in the grand scheme of things, pretty meaningless. As a filly, she fretted over having the proper ink, the proper parchment, and getting to class early. When she entered young adulthood, she thought not having enough tickets for her friends to go to a gala, trying to keep Spike's not-secret about his crush on Rarity, and not being able to write a friendship report was the pinnacle of terror. Her human friends had a word for those non-emergencies: first world problems. The kind of problems people without any real problems had.

That's not to say her life was always tiptop. She and her friends had disputes every now and then. But her friends could always solve their problems and friendship would win out. But now she realized those problems had always been relatively minor.

She had faced the occasional fiend who wanted to bring Equestria to its knees. But even when those evils did strike, the battles were short, and victory was accomplished with little consequences since she always had the Power of Harmony to do the work for her.

And she realized almost all her foes were arrogant blowhards. Nightmare Moon could've stopped her friends from going into the Everfree at any time and Discord could've easily defeated her and her friends with a single snap of his fingers, but both were too smug to accept even the possibility of defeat. (It said something that reforming Discord was a bigger headache than actually fighting him).

But since she became a Princess, she began to see that life was a bit more complex than she imagined. Where good and evil were rarely as simple as she wanted them to be. Where victory was not nearly as straightforward as one hoped. But for the most part, the easy life she had enjoyed was still there. One where things happened to work out.

Tirek had been banished, but not without a brutal betrayal from Discord and the loss of her library. But still, Harmony had rewarded her with a ginormous castle, and yet she had the nerve to complain about adapting to a castle while many creatures didn't have the most basic shelter.

Starlight Glimmer and the Changeling Queen had been beaten but were still on the lose.

Sunset's road to acceptance by her peers was not nearly as instantaneous as she hoped, but she was finally accepted after defeating the Dazzlings.

And her own human friends won the Battle of the Bands, but not before several massive setbacks. Heck, that should've been her first warning sign that she was allowing past victories to go to her head. She assumed Harmony would solve the problem for her, and when it didn't, she couldn't even write a decent counterspell. The Dazzlings were even able to trick them, trap them, and exploit their growing anger. And even when her human friends had been empowered, the Dazzlings still fought them to a draw, and were only defeated when Sunset stepped in.

But again, Twilight realized all that had been luck. The same dumb luck she'd always relied on.

But now that luck had run out.

She found herself feeling a sense of loss, despair, and hopelessness, and shame that she never felt in her life. Not even Discord, with his chaos magic, had left her feeling so weak.

It was partly because of a human child who was too short to reach the shelves and that fact that he despised her very being to the point of locking himself in the bathroom.

And if Twilight was being honest, she somewhat deserved that hatred. And the biggest buck in the teeth was that she had been trying to help him.

She had assumed, like the others, he was being possessed by corruptive magic and could potentially become a threat to public safety if he wasn't stopped. She came up with a simple plan: develop a rune and then use it on him to disable any menace he could pose, while having her human friends watch over him to keep him from acting out until that time.

But Twilight never once considered the ethics of what she had ordered Sunset and her human friends to do: espionage, manipulating the trust of a ten year old (albeit in a nice way) and committing theft.

Nor did she even consider how he would feel about being seen as nothing more than a mission. No, Twilight just assumed he would automatically accept why she did that and join her in friendship once he had been neutralized. Because she was used to that back home. Always used to being respected, admired, and listened too. But she realized it wasn't due to her competence or desire to spread the Magic of Friendship, but because of her status. First as the student of a Princess and later as a Princess herself, she realized that most ponies, especially young foals, didn't worship her but her status as a celebrity.

The boy wasn't from Equestria and new nothing about her. And, maybe unconsciously, she assumed he would just follow her like everyone back home and in Canterlot High would do.

Finally, never once did she even consider the ways the plan could go wrong. Again, she assumed things would just work out as they always, like the privileged fool she was.

But her plan had failed and catastrophically so.

Old enemies returned and were armed with weapons she knew nothing about that could disable the Power of Harmony. Not only had they walked away victorious, but she inadvertently given that evil the tool to achieve their goals.

Sunset Shimmer, who had supposedly achieved redemption and forgiveness for her bad behavior, saw one of her past deeds come back to bite her. Twilight never imagined they were those who could still hold a grudge against Sunset Shimmer. But, again, she just assumed Harmony and Friendship had automatically won out.

In stress and anger, Sunset was driven to nearly attack the child she came to see as a surrogate sibling, and slipped back into the cruel habits she had fought so hard to avoid.

The child in which she had seen so much promise felt the need to lock herself in the bathroom and hide away from her.

By trying to save him from madness, he had pushed him further away from her, her friends, and the very Magic of Friendship into a dark haze of paranoia and distrust.

For the first time in her life, Twilight Aurora Sparkle did not have any solution or lead to solve either of those problems. She felt...hopeless.

As the Element of Magic, she thought she knew everything there was to know about magic. But now she had come across a world of magic that was alien to her. Apparently, this world had beings invisible to all except human children who could be given what they wanted at ease. Her inquisitive and knowledge-seeking mind would normally jump at this discovery.

But some of her most dangerous foes had control over that magic she knew nothing about, and weapons that could somehow stop her own magic cold. Even if she could find them, she didn't know what to do. Facing them again would be like trying to fight a battle without knowing the terrain. The odds would be in their favor. Adagio Dazzle, cruel witch though she had been, was correct: she relied too heavily on the Elements and was unable to adapt to a foe who could cancel them out.

All her previous knowledge of magic couldn't serve her. In her encyclopedic knowledge of magic, there was not a single tome on Fairy Godparents or any creature of relation, and she didn't think a study session in her library would turn up anything. Despite being a smart, she never felt more like a dumb fool in her life.

Despite being a supposed expert on Friendship, she didn't know how to get back the trust of that small boy. How could she? In her obsession with victory, she and her friends had committed several wrongs against him. Again, as a resident of Earth, Timmy Turner knew nothing about her reputation. Timmy didn't understand the concept of the Harmony, and wouldn't automatically accept Sunset could change for the better.

For this reason, the Princess of Friendship found herself standing in front of the bathroom he was hiding from her in, at a lost for what to do or say.

She seriously considered going back to the portal and consulting her former mentor and current co-ruler. But she realized she couldn't do that. There was no time and if she was being honest, it was an attempt at procrastination.

If she wanted to earn her title, she had to deal with these uneasy situations.

With a deep sigh, the lavender-haired girl took a few steps and knocked on the door. "Timmy," she said softly. "Timmy," she repeated a bit more loudly. "are you in there?"

Silence was her answer. She didn't know if the boy was ignoring her, or had fallen asleep, and not knowing filled her with even more despair.

"Timmy, I am so sorry," she said in a saddest, and most empathetic voice she could muster.. "I'm sorry about what happened to Cosmo and Wanda." No reply. "I know how all this looks, but I promise you, that the things that Sunset said...she didn't mean it. She cares about you. We care about you a lot, and not just because of our mission." Still no reply. "I promise you, we'll find your fairies." After a few moments of more silence, Princess Twilight threw her hands in the air, turned away from the door and trudged down the stairs with a sigh. She didn't even offer a goodnight.


Twilight came into the living room of the mansion that Timmy had apparently wished up for the Dazzlings. The splendor reminded her of Canterlot's more prosperous neighborhoods. But her surroundings filled her with sheer disgust, since they had been obtained by the manipulation of a troubled child. Seeing the beautiful finishing and expensive furniture, Twilight saw how the Dazzlings had treated Timmy and his magical companions as nothing more than a meal ticket.

In it, a blue-haired boy sat on a velvet couch, furiously working away on a laptop. Emphasis on the furious.

Flash was currently the only one residing in the mansion besides herself and the boy. The drama and indecisiveness of the day had driven everyone to go home. Flash had been invited over because he had put his detective skills to good use before, and he wanted to see if he could find out where the Dazzlings were.

When Twilight had revealed Flash what had occurred well....

Twilight had never seen Flash so angry. Not even Sunset's manipulations or the Dazzlings' song had made him so furious.

The reason why Flash was angry were understandable. The Dazzlings, as far as Flash knew, had lied to Timmy, tricked him into hurting Sunset, used him for his magic, messed with his brain, groomed him into being their little minion, bullied him into trying to kill the Rainbooms, stabbed him in the back, and damaged the trust Timmy had with Canterlot High.

There was a reason he was up at 2 in the morning, typing without a single-sign of exhaustion.

Twilight, out of respect for Timmy's wishes, didn't mention his fairies. But she could only imagine how angrier Flash would get if he learned that Timmy had his friends taken away from him, and the Dazzlings had kidnapped a pair of sentient beings for their own nefarious purposes.

"So, did you find anything?" Princess Twilight asked. She knew the answer, based off Flash's expression, but she asked out of an attempt at small talk.

"I can't find anything," Flash said with a red face. "Those," Flash paused, in an attempt to control his temper, "they...they covered their tracks real good." His anger faded from his face. "How is...he?" he asked in a much softer tone.

Twilight looked down at her knees. "I couldn't get him to utter one word."

Flash's face drifted from anger to sorrow.

The idea of Timmy being unable to trust anyone was a knife to Flash's heart. Despite not meeting the boy, the blue-haired guitarist felt a strange affection for him.

Flash came to sympathize with Timmy's suffering, even before the Dazzlings had brutally betrayed him. Timmy and Flash's younger brother were also members of a track team. As an older sibling, Flash felt a protective instinct for little kids besides Rush.

But much more than that, Flash felt a sense of responsibility for the boy. Flash, like everyone else, saw the buck-toothed kid as a kindred spirit: someone else who had encountered magic (though the blue-haired boy didn't know the exact of the boy's understanding of magic). Rainbow said it best during the meeting after Timmy's vengeful attack on the track.

Timmy was one of them. And it felt like one of their own friends was giving them the cold shoulder.

"Maybe I can try and talk to him," Flash offered. "I do have a younger brother."

"What can you say to him that haven't already?" Princess Twilight asked in a hopeless tone.

"If you can't trust the Princess of Friendship, who can you trust?" Flash concluded with a sad expression. The two sat in angry, frustrated silence for a few moments. Flash went back to work to try and find a lead, while Princess Twilight got up from her couch, and decided to poke around the house.

Not out of any confidence she could find something. But because she wanted to feel less useless.


"So anybody find anything?" Dash asked, the usual enthusiasm in her voice replaced with a serious tone. The Rainbooms and others sat around the dinner table in the Dazzlings old mansion. Almost everyone was in some kind of poor mood. Others hadn't gotten any sleep because of the stressful situation.

Sunset Shimmer was in the worst mood of all, guiltily looking down at her hands. It was understandable. Her own past actions had come back to haunt her in the most horrific way. And she was upset about how close she had come to attacking Timmy.

No one answered. The silence of the meeting grew even more melancholy.

"Anybody at all? Find out where the Dazzlings are even."

"My fellow geeks couldn't find information on their whereabouts," Micro muttered with a frown.

"I couldn't find a single record on where they bought their new hideout," Flash expressed with self-dissapointment.

"None of my friends on the street could get the word on them," Lightning muttered angrily.

"My friends in the army couldn't find where those goons were," Gilda muttered with deep anger. "When I get my hands on them-!"

"They weren't in any of the cakes stores in Dimmsdale and Canterlot," Pinkie complained. She took some cupcakes and shoved them into her mouth. "Believe me, I looked everywhere," she said while talking with her mouth full.

Applejack's lips were pursed, her face twisted into serious thought, in contrast to the hopeless expressions on everyone's faces. "Ah have an idea," she uttered at last. Everyone looked to the farmer girl.

"You do?" Princess Twilight asked, trying (and failing) not to sound too desperate.

"I think...Timmy knows something about the...'stone'," Applejack muttered. "But he ain't tellin'."

"You really think so?" Rainbow asked.

"I think I know how I can tell if someone is hidin' something," the blond-girl grunted. She looked toward Pinkie Pie. "Maybe you can get him-,"

"I TRIED EVERYTHING!" Pinkie complained in a sad voice. "Apologies. Balloons, songs, magic tricks." Her poofy hair became depressingly straight. "But I couldn't get him to even say one word to me."

"Everything?" Applejack asled.

"I even tried to give him super tastylicious Triple Chocolate Cake," Pinkie muttered miserably.

"And?"

"Nothing."

Everyone gasped in horror. Pinkie's cakes were irresistible. You know you were in a bad mood when you wouldn't even sample one of Pinkie's cakes.

"I tired talking about how much Scootaloo and I loved training with him," Rainbow muttered. "No dice." The rainbow-haired girl glared at a wincing Sunset. "Maybe if you hadn't scared him into the bathroom or bothered to help Moondancer he would've-,

"Rainbow," Rarity scolded. "What Sunset did wasn't right. But Timmy wasn't exactly well-behaved yesterday...or in the past. You didn't exactly try and help Moondancer either. We have to go forward."

"Well how can we go forward if we can't get Timmy to tell us what he might know?" Rainbow asked with some anger.

The rest of the gathered Canterlot students talked amongst themselves, trying to come up with a solution, while a yellow-eye girl walked to the fancy stairwell, and stared at the second floor where the boy was hiding from life.


Timmy continued sitting on the floor, his mind consumed by anger, betrayal, and hurt. Suddenly, he heard a violent banging on the door. This knock was loud enough to unsettle and startle him.

"OK Beaver Boy," Gilda's voice called out. "Pity party's over. Time to get out of the pool and face reality."

Timmy just gave a defiant glare at the door. "Why should I listen any of you!" Timmy bellowed. "You all lied to me and pretended to like me because you all thought I was evil."

An annoyed sigh was his answer. "You know what Timmy? I'm not gonna tell you how to feel. You want to hate us? Go ahead and hate us. You think we we're nice to you because of the stone? Whatever. I'm just gonna tell you the facts: the sirens have control over powerful magic and everybody thinks you might know a way to defeat them. Do you?"

Timmy did not dignify the assertation with a response.

Gilda let out an annoyed sigh. "If I knew you were going to do this, I wouldn't have wasted my time with you."

That struck a nerve with the buck-toothed boy. "Do what?"

"The Dazzlings are out there gaining power, and you're just sitting their feeling sorry for yourself!" Gilda yelled in a disgusted tone. "Even when you know what they're capable of, your letting your grudge keep you from going doing what you have to do. A true warrior doesn't let stupid grudges control them. They leave their grudges at the door to do what's right. To me, your nothing but a spoiled little brat whose anger is more important than taking those evil witches down."

Timmy's anger was replaced with a thoughtful frown. But still, he did not respond.

"You wished a bunch of ginormous spiders on me," Gilda called out. "Maybe I should've let that idiot Crocker blast you. But no. I did what I had to do because. Maybe you should return the favor." Timmy felt a guilty frown form on his face, but he still said nothing. "Fine, sit there," Gilda said in a passive-aggressive tone. "But understand this: everyone the Dazzlings hurt from now on is on you. By hiding in that room, your giving them exactly what they want: letting them get to you and making you feel weak. I thought you'd be better than that. That wouldn't be the kind of person who would let a bunch of idiots bring you down. I guess I was wrong." Timmy heard Gilda stomp away.

A troubled expression formed on the brown-haired face as he mulled over Gilda's words. After staring at the door in guilty silence for a few moments, he noticed a small piece of of colorful paper on the floor.

Timmy looked at it.

It was a card he got from Cosmo and Wanda on his tenth birthday. It must've still been in his pocket. He decided to open it.

"Dear Timmy," Wanda wrote in pink. "Congratulations on making it to the big ten. Even though it is your birthday, I have a wish for you."

"More corn," Cosmo wrote in squiggly green crayon, "because corn is nice."

"Cosmo, look what you made me write," Wanda admonished in her writing. "Anyways, my wish for you is this: to always be strong and happy. I know you've have to deal with a lot of terrible things and mean people in your life. But don't ever let those things get you down. Don't let anyone bring you down or make you feel like a failure. Because your not, Timmy. If you ever feel upset, alone, or scared, remember this Timmy: we love you and we believe in you."

Love,

Your Fairy Godparents."

Timmy read the card over and over again. Gradually, his depressed expression was replaced with a stronger one.

"Gilda's right," Timmy said with a fierce frown on his face. "Cosmo and Wanda are in danger, and I've done nothing but feel sorry for myself." Timmy clenched his fists, righteous anger on his face and a determined gleam in his eyes. "I've got to save them from those sea monsters. And nothing is gonna get in my way." He proudly stood up, his head held high. He took a step.

Only to trip over a doorstop and fall to the floor with a thud.

"OK," Timmy said in a small daze. "Nothing henceforth will get in my way." He pulled himself up again and smiled deviously as he thought of a plan. His plan was interrupted when he heard munching out the window. He wandered over to it.

Some grey furry creature was munching on the garbage that had fallen out of the trash can. Upon closer inspection, Timmy realized.

"My clone," Timmy muttered. "I forgot to wish him away." Timmy looked at the decrepit creature, wearing a somewhat crummy looking grey hoodie. Timmy looked at him for a few moments, before a wonderful, terrible idea entered his brain. Using the curtains in the bathroom as a rope, he climbed down the wall of the mansion in front of the clone.

The clone noticed the sudden appearance of Timmy and got furiously defensive, jealously guarding the trash he was munching on. "Get back. I found this garbage. It's mine! All mine!" He let out a racoon-like hiss and staring menacingly slashing at the air, as if he had claws.

"How would you like to eat real food?" Timmy offered the clone with a sly smile.

Timmy smirked as his buck-toothed clone's interest peaked. Timmy had chosen his bait well, now she just needed to reel the fish in,

"People food?" The clone asked suspiciously.

"I'm human," Timmy said. "We got plenty of that."

"OK," the clone said. "What do you need me to do."

"First we need to switch clothes," Timmy began, his plan coming to fruition in his brain.


A group of Canterlot teens stood in front of the door with nervous expressions on their faces. Limestone's face, however, was an excited grin as she did some stretching.

Princess Twilight stoically looked at her pocket watch.

"It's been an hour," Princess Twilight quietly.

"I didn't think we had to do an intervention," Applejack drawled.

"But we don't have any choice," Rarity muttered.

"Lime," Pinkie called. "We need your elbow."

Limestone approached the door with a wide grin. She braced her good elbow for breaking down the door.

But just as she charged forward, a brown-haired boy came out of the room with a smile. "Hey everybody!" He said cheerfully. Limestone, so focused on the door, ran past Timmy, into the bathroom, and crashed with a yell.

Timmy heard moaning and turned around. Limestone's head was wedged into the toilet bowl and she struggled to pull herself out.

"Hey Lime," Timmy said with an odd frown, "I'm not a bathroom expert, but I think your doing everything upside down."

Limestone responded with an angry moan.

Everyone was taken aback. Timmy showed almost no sign of the scorn, anger, or distrust he had been displaying for the past day. In fact, he looked downright jolly.

"Timmy are you-," Rainbow began.

"Never better," Timmy said. "I figured out a way to defeat the Dazzlings."

Everyone was surprised by what they heard. "Really?" Princess Twilight asked happily. "How?"


"So Crocker has a bunch of anti-magic weapons lying around?" Rainbow asked the brown-haired boy. Timmy and the Canterlot teens gathered in the dining room. Timmy sat and explained his plan to them.

"Yep," Timmy said while taking a sip of tea.

"And he just...gloats about them to you?" Rarity muttered with astonishment.

"In case you haven't figured it out," Timmy said with disdain. "The guy is a nutjob who won't stop cackling about his plans for world domination. I never was worried because," he paused to take a sip. "He's...you know...Crockpot."

A sly smile appeared on everyone's faces. "Well, I can't argue with that," Rainbow added with a smile.

"So, you're just telling us this?" Flash asked carefully. "I mean...you were pretty mad before."

Timmy paused to take another sip of tea. "Well...I was. But Gilda helped me realize I was being a jerk."

"Well, I don't mean to brag," Gilda said with a wide smile. "But I am pretty persuasive."

"It's funny how the people who say they don't like to brag are always the people who love to brag a lot," Pinkie pointed out. Gilda groaned and facepalmed.

"Rainbow does that a lot," Applejack snarked.

"Hey," Rainbow objected. "How can it be bragging if your just...telling the truth?" she finished with a cocky smile. Everyone rolled their eyes at that.

Princess Twilight looked at Timmy carefully. "So are you sure your OK with us."

"Yeah," Timmy said, pausing to take a sip of tea. "And I want to say something else. I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused," Timmy apologized with sincerity. "And Sunset," the boy said, turning to the fire-haired girl. He took another sip of tea. "I'm sorry for being so mean to you."

Sunset was taken aback. "Timmy I wasn't exactly-,"

"I realize that while you weren't perfect, you didn't deserve to be called names, or turned into a worm, and I'm-," Timmy's eyes moistened and his lips quivered. "I'm-,"

Sunset walked over to the boy and gave him a hug. "It's OK Timmy. These things...just happen sometimes."

Everyone said aww at that, gushing at the reconciliation between Timmy and Sunset.

"Yeah, yeah this is real sweet," Gilda muttered with disdain. "But we can be cute later. We've got three...jerks who need to be put in their place." Everyone also frowned, remembering the lesson they needed to teach to a certain trio.

"Don't worry," Timmy said with a devious smile of his own, "As I've said, I've got a way to deal with them. We've just got to find Crocker's stash."


The Rainbooms all left the mansion and piled into Rainbow's blue sedan, with Timmy joining them last. Everyone cheered them on and wished them good luck as they sought out Crocker's arsenal, hoping that the loon's weapons could defeat the sirens.

"Alright everybody", Rainbow said happily. "Let's go." She hit the gas and drove away.

All the other Canterlot teens piled into their cars and drove away.

At a bus station a few yards away from the mansion, someone in a grey hoodie and blue pants watched as all the Canterlot teens drove away. He pulled down his hoodie, sneering nastily at them.

"Suckers," Timmy said gleefully, happy to have sent those liars on a goose chase. "With them distracted, I can take down the Dazzlings myself. And when I get Cosmo and Wanda back, I'll wish I never met them." Timmy smiled as the bus pulled up. He entered the vehicle and proudly showed off his bus pass.

"Aren't you a little young to be taking a bus to Canterlot by yourself?" The Dimmsdale bus driver, a blond-haired man, asked skeptically. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"I'm actually 30 years old," Timmy lied with darting eyes. "I have a ....genetic disorder."

"The pass says your ten."

"That's so I can...get discounts on move tickets?"

"Works for me," the man said happily. Timmy sat down and stared firmly out the window, dead set on saving his fairies from those evil witches.

No matter what it took.

PreviousChapters Next