• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 900 Views, 13 Comments

Now Is The Winter Of Our Discount Tent - mechafone



Twilight Sparkle must come to terms with Spark Storm's presence in Ponyville.

  • ...
 13
 900

Trickery And Reunions

Twilight Sparkle tilted her head to the sky and smiled happily as heavy snowflakes came down and dropped cold, wet kisses all over her face. It was times like these she was reminded why she loved winter so much: It was a time to dress up, go out and play, socialize among the ponies, get together and sing songs. Oh wait, she thought with a sour look on her face. I haven't done that yet. Maybe there's a how-to book inside that I haven't read yet? Twilight sighed as she leaned against the library door. A book that she hadn't yet read? In her library? Not likely.

She slipped back inside and shut the door behind her, shivering as she noticed the contrast between inside and outside. She'd need a scarf before she went out there again.

Hearing the door close from downstairs, Spike called, "Hey Twilight? Are you sure about this trip to White Tail Woods?"

Twilight tilted her head as she came to the foot of the stairs, a look of confusion on her face. "Of course, Spike. A two day long camping trip in the dead of winter will be a new experience for all of us! Just think: braving the wild, pitting pony against nature! Doesn't that sound exciting?"

Up in Twilight's room, Spike made a face and stopped fiddling with the cheap tent that Twilight had purchased for the trip, giving the confusing set up a frustrated glare before answering the much-too-eager unicorn. "Maybe it would help if this "tent" you bought actually made me feel safe about being in the "dead cold" of winter, Twilight. Have you actually looked at this ragged old thing?"

"Oh, Spike, you worry too much," she replied, giving a dismissive waggle of her hoof. "Even if it's not in the best shape, we'll have Big Mac and Applejack with us, and Fluttershy, too! We'll be safe with them, they know how to survive out in the wild. I've heard that Applejack and Big Mac go out in the wilderness sometimes just to practice on how to survive out there, and Fluttershy lives on the edge of the Everfree. I'm sure she deals with the wild all the time. What's to worry about? I'm sure it'll be fine."

Spike rolled his eyes at Twilight's blind optimism. She never was one to listen to reason once she got an idea in her head. The dragon went back to assembling the old, somewhat bent oversized rag that was supposed to assemble into a tent, grumbling quietly.

Twilight went back to gathering some books to pack. After slipping the fifth book into her saddlebags, a bookmark fell out of the sixth book, effectively losing her place. She frowned sadly; she had just been getting into White-Out: How To Wrap-Up Winter. She magic'd the bookmark to her and gasped. She'd forgotten which bookmark she'd chosen for this book, which was Spark Storm's cutie mark that Rarity had made for her on Nightmare Night nearly five months ago. She stood there, staring at the feather insignia until she noticed Spike watching her from the bottom of the stairs, claws on his hips and an amused expression on his face.

"Wh-what is it?" she said, trying to sound innocent and hide the bookmark behind her back. Spike rolled his eyes to the heavens.

"Why don't you just go talk to him?"

For a moment, Twilight looked like she wanted to say something, until a look of determined silence came over her eyes and mouth, both shutting as she concentrated on filling her saddlebags with the appropriate things for the trip, including several things she didn't need or mean to pack. Spike brought his claws to his face in a gesture of exasperation. "Twilight! You guys haven't spoken in nine years! Don't you think it's about time to put the past behind you and try to get along with him?"

Twilight grunted as she tried to pack one more book into her overflowing saddlebags, having been too distracted with Spike's lecture to watch what she was doing. She glared at him as if this was his fault, then pulled every last book out of the bag and flung them every which way. "Rrrgh! Spike, this isn't helping me get packed!" The dragon yelped and dove underneath the lavender mare as books rained down around the two of them. By now, Twilight's mane had frizzled as it usually did when she was frustrated.

Taking this as a cue to stop pressing and start helping Twilight pack, Spike crawled out from under Twilight and began to quietly pick up the books that were strewn around the room. Spike had thought that after last Nightmare Night, Twilight had gotten over Spark's presence in Ponyville, but it was evident now that she needed more time, and definitely more exposure. And that's when inspiration struck, and Spike knew what had to happen: He had to get Spark Storm and Twilight together and make them hash out their differences.

That night, as the snow fell at an increasingly alarming rate, Spike wrote a letter to Princess Celestia explaining his worries, and his idea. Twilight wouldn't like it, especially if she found out that this idea was his. He'd just have to make sure she never found out.


"Are you sure we've got everything, Spike?" Twilight asked as the two were going over their travelling bags. For the fifth time. Spike didn't seem to mind, though. He'd been in a right jolly mood for the last three days, and he wouldn't tell her why.

"Absolutely, Twilight! C'mon, we've already gone over this list four...no, five times!" Twilight narrowed her eyes at her assistant, a suspicious burning look on her face.

"Spike, you've been acting very odd lately. It's not like you to suddenly want to go out in the cold, especially when we won't be coming back here to this nice, warm library."

Spike looked from Twilight to the bags, back to Twilight, then grabbed his pack, suitcase, and finally one of Twilight's heavy packed sacks. "Well, we don't wanna be late! C'mon, Twilight, it's a long ride to White Tail Woods, we're gonna have to head out as soon as possible to meet the others on time." The suspicious unicorn watched him go, then sighed. There was no point arguing. Not yet, anyway. She was sure he'd crack under the cold weather. She paused just long enough to get her scarf and boots on before following her assistant outside, hauling the rest of the wheeled luggage behind her.

Twilight was pleased to see that the carriage she'd ordered was waiting for her as soon as she got outside. She was also pleased to see that the ponies pulling the carriage had been chosen to fit the wintery mood. There was a mare and a stallion, and they could've been siblings. The mare was a pegasus, snow-white and pretty, with ice blue and sapphire mane. The stallion was a unicorn whose colors matched the mares, making them nearly identical except for sex and race. It was very cute.

She said hello to them, earning a big grin from both of them, actually a quite telling sign that they were expecting her, specifically Twilight. The mare had an especially forced smile on her face. Well! thought Twilight as she finished packing her luggage onto the carriage. Someone's not in a very jolly mood.

As Twilight disappeared into the carriage, the unicorn turned to face his pegasus comrade. "That was too easy. Good thing she's not too friendly with the 'hired help' or she might've recognized us, eh?"

Before the pegasus could retort, Twilight stuck her head out of the carriage and tapped it politely. "Excuse me, could we get going please? My friends are waiting for us, it's going to be an exciting weekend!" She smiled pleasantly before slipping back inside and closing the door to keep out the cold.

Sapphire Snow turned to Frostbite with a light glare, a glare that just screamed 'Don't you say a word to me'. Frostbite instead grinned at her, and the two started off from the library, around the town, and towards White Tail Woods.

Twenty minutes later, the carriage arrived at the entrance to the woods. Twilight and Spike watched with wide-eyed fascination as the snow continued to fall. It was quite a sight: The trees were heavily coated with white, the branches hanging low, burdened with the heavy accumulation. Finally, after a little bit further down the trail, the carriage stopped before a small caravan consisting of Twilight's friends and their tents and overnight preparations.

As Spike got out of the carriage to hurriedly grab their things, Twilight took a step out of the cab and cast a glance to the two ponies pulling the carriage. As she had thought, the pegasus looked familiar, but she couldn't quite place the face. The pegasus mare made it a point not to make eye contact with Twilight, and after a moment, the unicorn simply imagined that the driver didn't want to be stared at. She shrugged and went to help Spike with their things and rolled them towards her friends, who all seemed to be waiting awkwardly for her.

Rarity was the first to address Twilight as she and her dragon assistant approached. She was decked out in a pretty powder blue scarf and white boots. She had already gotten herself a nice mug of cocoa, but the mug itself shook in her magical grasp. Though she was dressed and prepared for a trip into the icy wilderness, she seemed completely unprepared to approach Twilight. "Oh hello, dear! Glad to see you've made it..." she said, trailing off distractedly as she looked over in the direction of the carriage, anxiously taking a sip of her cocoa.

There was a quiet among Twilight's friends that seemed to permeate the air. It was quiet enough to hear approaching hoofsteps from behind the girls. Twilight arched her neck to see who was approaching. She could just barely make out a dark mane. Now who did she know was coming that had a dark mane? Twilight's eyes narrowed suspiciously as she glanced at Applejack, who was looking this way and that nervously. She looked like she wanted to say something, but was keeping her mouth shut tight. Twilight could feel a tightness in her chest as the owner of the dark mane slowly stepped out from behind Applejack.

Spark Storm turned his head to stare at Twilight Sparkle. The last time Twilight had felt his eyes on her had been five months ago, staring from several dozen yards away in the dead of night. And before that, it had been nine years. And suddenly, it came back to her. She whipped around to stare at the two that had brought them here. It wasn't the pegasus she recognized; it was the unicorn. By this point he was watching her. He grinned and waved, and it came back to her: The trip to Neippon. The unicorn that ended up saving her life at the end of her fight, the fight she didn't remember...Frostbite.

As if on cue, Frostbite and his pegasus companion took off, leaving the ragtag group of ponies to fend for themselves for the next two days. Twilight let out a long, heavy sigh. She should've known better; Spike had been acting very weird, much too eager to go on this trip. She turned her gaze on him, making sure she gave him nothing less than a smoldering, disappointed glare. That was the worst kind. Spike, however, turned his nose up at her and picked up several of his things, and stepped wordlessly into the small crowd of ponies and their tents and other preparations for what was shaping up to be a very long two days.

Spark grinned at Spike's bravado. He imagined by the shocked look on Twilight's face that Spike didn't snub her that often. After a moment, Spark stepped closer to Twilight. She seemed to shrink in on herself, her tail curling around her legs. She looked lost and scared, and she was, a bit.

Nine years ago, Twilight Sparkle had fallen for Spark Storm. It had been an odd time in her life when he was introduced to her as a guest of Princess Celestia. The two hadn't seen a reason to be friends, and had mostly avoided each other. But on that fateful trip to Neippon, Twilight learned that he could read the stars. When he told her later that night the story of his life in Ponyville, a truce had been cemented, perhaps even friendship. The two grew closer over the three week trip, and even closer when Spark ended up saving her and her brother's life.

In just three short weeks' time, Twilight had developed feelings for Spark. He had been her first crush, and she had fallen hard for him. So when she learned that he had no feelings in return for her, she had been broken. The next thing she knew, she had been captured by the enemy, and nearly killed. The thought of never telling Spark how she truly felt before she died managed to break her out of her bonds, thus saving her own life this time around, but she still needed to deal with Spark.

On the return trip home, she told him to stay away from her. Her feelings were too strong, and she had her own life, her studies, to worry about an unrequited crush, so she sent him away from herself and concentrated on her life as Celestia's student. So for nine years, the two of them hadn't spoken and rarely, if ever, saw each other before now. It was only natural that she fear this moment, Spark standing before her, all grown up.

She finally looked up into Spark's eyes. He stared back at her, and she could tell that the same memories were going through his mind. It was there in his eyes. "Spark," she said quietly. "I don't want to do this. I really don't."

Spark nodded quietly. He understood, really he did. But - "...But..." Spark's eyes widened as Twilight began to speak. "...I really want to be able to move on, and I guess I won't be able to do that if I keep running from the past. I hid it away, locked it up and threw away the key." Twilight looked up at Spark with tears in her eyes, but there was a fierce determination there. "I guess...if you're willing to...to help me get through this, then I guess I should accept it. I can't promise this'll be a pleasant weekend, but I owe it to myself to push through it. Right?"

"Yeah..." he said gently, taking a few steps back so Twilight could see her friends. They all had hopeful smiles on their faces, although Rarity looked like she could've fainted any second. "The first step is the hardest, and hey! It only took nine years. Now let's take that second step, and do try to be a little quicker again it."


aaaand I should've gone to bed hours ago, but I wanted to get this out. The first chapter is complete, stay tuned for shenanigans!