• Published 13th Jan 2021
  • 174 Views, 2 Comments

Dead Zone: Richville - Crystal Jewelheart



Something strange is happening in my beloved town. I want to find why and how I can stop this before it gets worse

  • ...
 2
 174

A sorrowful start

“Sereeeeeeeeene!!”


The next day, the ponies sat in rows, their faces lacking smiles, as only the wind can be heard as an erie silence engulfed the assembly. Their faces solemn, a few of them quietly sobbing to themselves, especially the ones in the front row. Guards stood beside the large group, sadly joining the event.

A mare stood next to the four brown coffins her expression just like that of the rest in the assembly, she gave one last glance to the coffins behind her before starting her speech.

“We have known these four ponies for only a few short years. They were respectful to their parents and others and remained loyal and obedient to the rules of our community, they achieved success in their life by helping out our town as it became more unisolated and becoming a popular tourist spot for outsiders, they had a family who loved them dearly,” a cry erupted from the front seats “and friends” one pony could be seen lowering their hat to hide their face”, and last but not the least; us her fellow townsponies. Today, tragedy has befallen them, a tragedy which hasn't happened to Richville for over 150 years since the first foundation of this town was build.

“Let us give one last respectful and loving goodbye to Serene Spring, New Miles, Breeze Frond, and Sugar Pastel”

One tearful mare immediately ran up to one of the coffins, hugging it with her forelegs and burying her face into it, the assembly stood from their seats,and went to the coffins and put several items, including food, jewelry, flowers, toys, and even crops from several farmers on them. The next to go are the guards, who bowed to the coffins before lifting them upon their backs and begin to carry them, four ponies to each coffin. The rest of the guards are to join the large trailing group of ponies. No one complained and no one was happy, the burial site was just nearby, as they were located at the outskirts of the town.

Among the group of ponies, Silver Chary marched beside the crowd, his solemn expression betraying grief and sorrow, he didn't say a word, he was quiet just like the others were when the funeral had started. He hadn't interacted much with the deceased residents but they were good ponies and having them die at a young age is tragic.

But he knew the deaths of these ponies wasn't over. The doctors have to tell the mayor, and the investigation team to learn the cause of death. Four ponies dying in the same night was unheard of in the town, there is no doubt their deaths will be investigated.

He shuts his eyes as a feminine cry is heard joined by sobbing from a masculine voice. He had heard one of the victims' parents Serene Spring's mother was supposed to go to Tallmist Forest along with Serene and the father, [who silently mourned for their son] to find a lost possession. He didn't know much of the details, but something traumatized the parents, as well as the families of the other three.

The coffins were put down on the ground, as the guards in charge of carrying them took shovels from another guard. They began digging. Silver just realized that they were now in the cemetery, which is just a green field filled with scattered tombstones.

“May they rest in peace and find salvation in Elysium” the mare to his left spoke up. She was a unicorn mare with a pale yellow coat, moderate blue violet eyes, and vivid gamboge orange mane and tail with luminous vivid gamboge stripes and on her flank were a trio of suns. She hadn't noticed nor felt Silver's eyes staring at her, or she simply ignored him, her eyes fixated on the coffins. She sighed and whispered to herself.

“By Scouthoof's name, they were so young”

Silver silently agreed with her.

Not long after the graves were dug, the coffins were now being placed into the graves, everyone gathered around, including the families of the victims, in mourning, knowing they will never see their dead relatives ever again. Throughout this until the graves were filled with dirt, Silver kept his eyes shut like curtains. what could have killed them? The morticians, doctor, and even the mayor didn't say a word of the details of their deaths opening his eyes slightly like a curious goal peeking through a curtain, ahe stared at the mare beside him, judging from her expression, she's sad but there is some curiosity behind it. She doesn't know anything just as I am. I have to ask the mayor later at the town hall

As soon as the horns carried by farmers sounded, he closed his eyes again. He and the entire assembly lowered their heads and sang for the dead. It was a traditional thing, according to one of the town's first founder, singing a sad yet peaceful hymn. It took them a few minutes before the song ended with silence and everyone in the funeral started to go back to the town.

Silver stared at the mounds which rested the bodies of the recent dead residents “Silver!” he heard his name being called, he turned around and saw a familiar face... Well, he knew most of locals as he himself was born and raised in the town.

As he was about to greet the pony, he saw another familiar face, which made him frown as he approached the two with concern for one of them.

“Snow, why is your father with you?” he gave a glance at the stallion before looking back at a young pegasus mare.

“Oh, he wanted to attend the funeral, he didn't want to stay home”

Silver's frown softened “He isn't stressed out is he?”

Before the mare named Snow could answer, the stallion behind her answered for her “Don't worry, Mr. Chary. Earnest is careful not to squeeze his heart” Earnest chirped, waving a hoof at Silver.

Silver sighed “Fine. As long as you're in good condition, I will not tell the hospital, just promise to stay in bed and take your medicine” he turned to Snow, “Make sure he's okay and wont do anything that could cause a headache, okay?”

Snow nodded “Don't worry, Silver. Pa will not be a featherbrain this time”

Silver gave her a slight smile “Good”

However, Earnest heard what his daughter called her “I heard that!” he growled, causing Silver and Snow to laugh, it made Silver cough.

Saying their goodbyes to Silver they return back to town, probably back to their house. Silver wasn't going back to his home though, he had to speak with the pony who was in charge of the case. So, he went to the town hall, where the other guards were.

He arrived. Unsurprisingly, the building do not have that many ponies living in them yet and streets are yet to be populated, the whole town having joined the funeral except for those admitted and working at the Hospital. He stood at the entrance and waited.

Waited...

And waited....

“I guess this is going to take a while, huh?” he mumbled to himself.

A voice behind him asked “What are you waiting for, Silver?”

Silver jumped, as well as his heart, which almost stopped. He turn behind him and saw a unicorn mare garbed in the towns guard armor just like him, her eyes filled with suspicion towards him.

“Sparkle, you made my heart jump!” he burst, his breathing abnormal for a short time before his shock wore out “I was just waiting for the mayor to come back, so I can talk to her!"

The unicorn mare named Sparkle lifted an eyebrow “What do you want to talk about with the mayor?”

“I want to talk to her about the recent incident” he looked around before continuing his speech “I want to know what caused the deaths of those four ponies”

Sparkle sighed “Sorry, the mayor said its off the record” she replied with an answer which dismayed him.

“What? You can't be serious!?” he slammed a hoof on the ground, “I'm a part of the government, why would they hidethe details from me!?”

“It's not only you, mooncalf!” Sparkle snapped at him, “All of the town guards don't know the details of the case, even me!” she pointed a hoof to herself then at the building behind her “Did you not remember one of our members, Valor Spirit is still being held partly responsible for the Happy Grapes Harvest Biting Incident!?”

“Of course I still remember” Silver glared at her as she glared back at him “But it doesn't have anything to do with me wanting to find out what killed those four ponies!”

Sparkle coldly stared at him “You're eyes are still closed, stonehead” she turned around, her tail smacking Silver's face to show she's not pleased with their interaction.

“You're an ignorant!” Silver stomped his hoof in frustration. If the mayor doesn't want to tell him the details, then he would have to find out himself.

His eyes softened. Not today, he promised to a friend's partner he will meet up her with her today. There was something wrong with her, she looks... Nervous when he saw at the front door of his house, her eyes pleading for him to help her. Gazing back at the town hall behind him, he let out a huff and left, going to the place where the mare told him to meet up. It wasn't long, but he notice the streets are finally being populated by familiar faces.

“Look out!" He glanced to his right. Sadly he was lucky. A cloud of dust is heading towards him, ponies managed to get out of it's way with ease, but he stood there with an I am used expression, even as the cloud of dust stopped just inches away from him. He took a step back, looked down and frowned.

“Blue Wings, what in the hay are you thinking? You could have hurt somepony” he led out a hoof at the mare laying on the ground, coughing repeatedly and holding her stomach with a hoof. She looked up at him with a pained hoof, a smile slowly forming before accepting his hoof.

“Thank you, Silver” Blue stood up with the help of Silver, her entire body covered in dirt, yet still in good condition. “H-Hey, have you the stunt I did?"

“No, I was just minding your own business when you suddenly turned into a hug brown ball of destruction” Blue sighed, but he didn't not let it bother him, “Let m guess: you're still practicing for a group egasi who made airial shows in Equestria?"

Blue gasped in surprise “Whoa, how did you know that!?” she blurted out. Siler was about to say something when she suddenly put a hoof to his mouth, “Nevermind that. I got some good news. Silver... I got promoted!” Silver's jaw dropped slightly, his eyes widened, but it only lasted for a moment before he quickly recovered from his shock, a smile on his face.

“Well done, Blue” he patted her head, “I hope thing will go well for you”

Blue giggled wit joy, pleased to hear such praise “Thanks. So, where are you going? Last I check, you don't patrol this street"

“Ah, I was going to have a meeting with White Wheat's wife. She said its something important"

“Something important, huh? I wonder what could it be? Could it be another suggestion for a surprise gift?” Blue mused.

“I'll only find out once I talk to her” he cantered pass her, “No need to keep her from waiting. Have a nice day, Blue!”

“Okay, Silver!"


It did not take him a few minutes to arrive at his destination. It was just a small restaurant with only a few costumers.He looked around and found the pony he is meeting with; an earth pony mare with pale, light grayish apple green coat, calm luminous aquamarine eyes, and very light yellow mane with a ponytail. The mare was staring into nothingness, oblivious to the presence of the pony she had been waiting for.

“There you are, Charity Aid”

Charity blinked, and glanced up at him, having got out of waiting mode “Silver Chary. Come here and take a seat” Silver oblidged and sat on an empty chair, facing her. He noticed there was no menu on the table.

“You already ordered for us both?"

Charity beamed “Correct. I thought you wouldn't mind”

Silver nodded “So, what did you want to talk about?” he looked around and saw a waiter, approaching them.

“Here are your mung bean soups and sandwich tower overload with a pickle on top” the waitress put the food on the table and bowed “Thank you for eating in our restaurant" she uttered before leaving the duo.

Charity smiled sheepishly “Let's talk about White Wheat after we finish our food”

“Okay, I don't mind” Silver said before diving into his sandwich, which is literally a tower, as saliva is slowly sliding out of the side of his mouth.

“Thank you for the blessing of this food!”

...

Silver finally took the last bite of his sandwich into his mouth just as Charity finished sipping the last of her soup. With both of them pleased and satisfied,

“What did you want to talk about again, Charity?” Silver asked.

“Silver...” despite her expression remaining bright and happy, her voice changed into a sad solemn tone “What should I do about my husband? His guilt is traumatizing him even more than when he witnessed the fatal assault on his friends. Was my support not enough?” Silver frowned. This wasn't what he was expecting Charity to talk about. It sounds as if she's also losing hope of making her husband mentally stable.

“White Wheat? What happened to him?”

Charity looked around before starting her explanation “At first, he was begging to be forgiven but now... He's saying something along the lines of 'They're coming!' 'We have to get out of here!' 'He told me they're coming!' 'They'll kill us!' and 'We will serve them as mindless slaves!'. Silver, tell me my husband isn't going crazy”

Silver put a hoof on his chin “Mm... That's definitely not normal, but I'm not saying he's losing his mind. I'm not a very good adviser, Charity, but I suggest you be close to him at all times, tell one his friends to live in your house, or send your husband to the doctors and experts, they'll have better ways to help with his condition” he suggested.

“I wanted to follow your last suggestion but..." She lowered her head “He'll just end up admitted to the hospital and he doesn't like being there. I still remember the last time when he got admitted”

“I assure you that will not happen again” assured Silver.

Charity smiled, happy as a mother finding out her foal telling her how he successfully ignored the bullies “Thanks, Silver”

“No problem” He stood up, giving her a encouraging smile, “Have a nice day, Charity”

“You too, Silver” he nodded. Turning around, he went and opened the entrance door of the restaurant and left.
[Her]
When Silver returned home, he was met by his parents,who both are not working since their boss gave them a day to rest because of the funeral. The entire day was just going back to his duty to patrol the hillside part of town to make sure no wild animals enter their settlement.

“Welcome back, son” his father greeted him, “Are you hungry? Your mom made fried aubergine”

“Sorry, I've already filled my stomach”

“Is that so? Okay” his mother didn't aeem to be disheartened that he wasn't anle to eat the food she cooked. He went to his bedroom and sat on his bed. He wasn't going to be here that long since its only lunchtime, therefore he will be returning to his duties.

He was in deep thought. While many things happened, he still remember his interaction with Sparkle and the fact he wasn't told of the cause of deaths of the ponies who died yesterday night.

A secret will stay secret, no matter how many times I beg for the truth, I'm sure I will be denied. I have to something, I have to find out the truth myself. I don't want to do this but I have no choice... I have to sneak my way into the hospital and get the autopsy reports of the one corpses of the four. But I can't do it alone, I have to get a companion. But who? he looked around his room. There wasn't that much other than his bedroom, a website table, a cabinet, and a drawer beside the large furniture. Picture frames stood on the drawer. He took one and stared at the ponies posing for the photo with a younger Silver Chary smiling sheepishly with them I only have mother and father in the family, however I have many friends here. But i can't go to them all. I have to choose one his eyes moved, gazing at each pony in the picture one-by-one (except him). His gaze rests on one pony who gave his younger self a 'sneak hug attack'. He remember the feeling of his coat standing when he felt her body touch him and heard her giggle. He smiled.

“I wonder if Summer would agree”