• Published 18th Aug 2019
  • 5,301 Views, 715 Comments

Live By The Sword... - redandready45



Sunset learns what it is like to feel helpless and under someone's thumb. Will she stay in Canterlot High?

  • ...
23
 715
 5,301

PreviousChapters Next
Honesty Lectures Loyalty (Edited 3/21/20)

Sunset yelped as she fell down to the floor, grunting in pain as her skull struck the ground.

"Oh man, you're such a klutz!" Sprint yelled in a mocking tone. It was followed by the cruel laughter of the rest of the track team. Sunset felt herself being pulled up by strong arms. She looked up and saw Applejack's sympathetic face.

"Thanks," Sunset said with a whimper. Applejack gave her a warm look in return.

"I'm happy to help," Applejack said with some kindness. She then narrowed her eyes. "Sunset you gotta tell someone." Sunset gave the farmer girl a disappointed look.

"Who am I gonna tell?" Sunset asked with some frustration. "The teachers all hate me. They probably think I deserve it."

"Sunset, the teachers are upset with you," Applejack said in a stern tone. "If they really hated you, you wouldn't be here."

"They lost part of their pay because of me," Sunset said with some despair. "They'll side against me." Sunset turned around ruefully and walked away. "Don't worry about, Applejack. I'm used to it by now." Applejack looked at Sunset with a mixture of concern and sympathy.

Applejack's concern was slightly abated when she saw one of the track members, some short redhead, give Sunset a candy bar and say something that made Sunset gave him a grateful smile. While it warmed Applejack's heart to see one student outside of her circle being nice to her, she knew that if the mistreatment didn't stop, then Sunset could drop out of school, friends or no friends.

Or worse, Sunset could start hurting herself.

"I have to do something", Applejack thought in frustration.


Applejack and Sunset both reached their usual table. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were present, but one girl was noticeably absent.

"Where's Rainbow?" Applejack asked. "This is the third time in a row she hasn't shown up for lunch."

"Dashie sent me text saying she wasn't hungry!" Pinkie Pie said, pulling her phone out of her poofy hair. "I know Rarity is working on some dress for the fashion club."

"Or maybe, she is just trying to avoid me," Sunset muttered with some despair. Fluttershy and Pinkie looked at Sunset with utter sympathy.

"Sunny, that's not true," Pinkie Pie said with reassuring tone.

"Yeah," Fluttershy said soothingly. "I'm sure Rainbow is just-," Fluttershy paused when she saw the track team at CHS coming to a table in the distance. She frowned when she saw that Rainbow Dash was excitedly walking with them. They all were giving each other high fives and pats on the back as they took their seats.

Sunset looked at the blue-skinned girl sitting with her tormentors with no small amount of despair.

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie looked at Rainbow with a mixture of dismay and disappointment, while Applejack was giving Rainbow a look of quiet condemnation.

"So, anybody hear about the new Daring Do movie," Pinkie Pie said, trying to lift the unhappy mood by changing the subject. Sunset and Fluttershy joined in, but Applejack continued to glare at the athletic girl.


Rainbow Dash happily walked down the hall with the track team. After a round of high-fives and cheers, they walked away from each other to reach their separate classes. On the way, Rainbow saw Applejack staring at her with crossed arms.

"Hey Applejack," Rainbow said casually. "How's it-,"

"We need to talk," Applejack said firmly. Rainbow looked at Applejack fitfully.

"But Applejack I have to get to-,"

"Now," Applejack said firmly, gesturing to a girls' bathroom so they could talk in private. With a sigh, Rainbow Dash walked into the girls' bathroom.

"OK, what's up?" Rainbow said as Applejack followed her into the bathroom.

"You didn't show up at our table," Applejack stated, shutting the door. Rainbow Dash gave her an annoyed look.

"So what?" Rainbow Dash asked defensively. "I can't hang out with other people?"

"You got a problem with the other girls and I hanging out with Sunset?" Applejack asked with a deep frown.

"No," Rainbow Dash denied, her eyes darting to the floor. "I just like...being with other people".

"Oh, really. Those boys you hang out with are the ones who have been giving her the most grief," Applejack pressed, her eyes narrowing. "Surely you know about it?" Rainbow Dash didn't answer Applejack, angrily looking at the ground instead.

"You know that they're making her life miserable, don't you?" Applejack accused. Rainbow Dash didn't say anything. "They're acting like a bunch of louts, and you're-"

"I'm not doing anything to her," Rainbow Dash said.

"No, but your letting it happen. And that's just as bad!" Applejack yelled. Applejack sighed and took a deep breath. "Look, I know you don't like Sunset, but can you at least get the track team to leave her alone."

"I'll think about it," Rainbow Dash muttered, before trying to walk out of the room. The door, however, was blocked by stone-faced Applejack.

"Oh, so you're not going to do it," Applejack said with some anger. "Because...you think its funny that they pick on her!"

"Get out of my way Applejack!" Rainbow yelled, her composure fading.

"Not until you promise me that you'll get those boys to back off."

"No!" Rainbow Dash spat.

"Why not?!"

"That bitch bullied everybody here and she broke up our friendships!" Rainbow yelled, her veneer of patience utterly gone. "She deserves everything she gets!" She raised her fists. "Now move before I move you!" Applejack just stood silently, her face looking like it was carved from stone.

"Oh, I see?" Applejack said. "You're mad at for her for being a nasty little brat." A mocking sneer appeared on her face. "Because you're just ah perfect little angel, aren't you. How you treated Blossomworth certainly proves-," Rainbow Dash furiously punched the wall behind Applejack.

"How dare you, Applebitch!" Rainbow Dash bellowed.

"Oh, so you're not the only one with skeletons in your closet," Applejack said in a mocking tone. "Maybe I should just remind you of Blossomworth everyday of your life. Since you think that Sunset should be hated forever because of her-," Rainbow Dash furiously grabbed Applejack by her shirt and pushed her against the door.

"You think that one little mistake is the same thing as two YEARS of non-stop-being-a-bitch and turning into demon!?" a red-faced Dash roared into Applejack's face.

"No, its not the same," Applejack admitted, looking down. She then looked back at Rainbow with defiant eyes. "But right now, the only one who is acting like a bitch is you." Rainbow Dash's angry face faded at Applejack's words. "The way your behaving...I'd rather be with Sunset then with you!" Rainbow Dash let go of Applejack's shirt, looking down at the floor with shame.

"I'm sorry Applejack," Rainbow Dash said after a few minutes of silence. "It's just...I'm just...everyday, she hurt Fluttershy." Rainbow Dash felt tears form in her eyes. "And...she made me think that Fluttershy deserved it." She put her face into her hands. "Everyday, I used to think Fluttershy was a lousy friend. Everyday, I laughed when Fluttershy was pushed around and..." she paused as she felt Applejack's warm arms hug her. Rainbow Dash lost all composure, letting her tears flow out of her eyes as she wept

"I know Rainbow Dash," Applejack said in a soothing voice. "And you...have every right to be angry. I was angry at her too for what she did to me." She let go of Rainbow, looking at her with warm eyes. "She hurt my farm and she made fun of me and Apple Bloom." Applejack looked down and up. "But being angry didn't help me. I gave her a chance to make it right and that made me feel better. Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity did that too, and they feel better." Applejack took Rainbow's hand. "Please Rainbow. Do it for them. Do it for the Princess. Do it for me!" Rainbow Dash looked down again.

"I'll tell the guys to leave her alone," Rainbow Dash said in a tired voice as she stopped crying. "But...I'm not ready to sit with her yet."

"Like I said, Rainbow. I'm not going to force you." Applejack said. "But please don't let her get hurt any more."

"I won't," Rainbow Dash said. "For you." Applejack got away from the door, letting her Rainbow friend walk out. Applejack breathed a sigh of relief. While Rainbow was pig-headed, she still cared about Applejack's opinion. With Rainbow's help, things could get much better for Sunset.

"Maybe Rainbow might sit with us again", Applejack wondered hopefully before walking out of the bathroom to her next class.

PreviousChapters Next