• Published 18th Aug 2019
  • 5,301 Views, 715 Comments

Live By The Sword... - redandready45



Sunset learns what it is like to feel helpless and under someone's thumb. Will she stay in Canterlot High?

  • ...
23
 715
 5,301

PreviousChapters Next
Shared Pains

Sunset sat down in her cell, her mind a complete daze. After she stopped crying, she barely registered anything. She didn't eat ,she didn't drink. She never even asked for the obligatory phone call to her parents.

There was a reason for that though: she never had parents in this world. Her fake parents only existed on paper. As a minor in this world, she needed them for everything. From her apartment, to getting into school, to her motorcycle. When asked, she said they were out of town. She even had notes prepared in case anyone was going to search her apartment, claiming that they were out of town. Only a handful of people knew the truth.

She never even considered calling them though. They would never allow pick her up. Not someone as monstrous as her.

Without some adult who could collect her, she was effectively stuck here behind bars.

But she wasn't bothered by that. The bars suited her. It was what she deserved. She was where she belonged.

She was so lost in her trance, she barely noticed the cells where Snips and Snails were held being opened. She barely noticed the guard announcing that they'll be released until their court date. She vaguely noticed the menacing expressions on their parents' faces that made Snips and Snails wish they could stay in jail.

When they left, she continued to stare at the walls. She didn't how long it was. Maybe it was a few minutes. Maybe it was a few hours. But suddenly the guard came to her cell.

"Sunset Shimmer," the guard said. "You'll be released until your court date."

"Who am I am being released-," she paused as a familiar face reared his head.

"Wait, your Twinkle's uncle," Sunset Shimmer asked in disbelief.

"Who else could I be?" the portly man said with a jovial smile.

"What are you doing here?" Sunset said.

"I'm helping out my nephew?" Uncle Auger.

"Wait," Sunset said, disbelief on her face. "Twinkle knows-,"

"Yep," Uncle Auger said. "And he told me your parents are out of town, so I decided to come pick you up." Sunset turned away from him shamefully. "Come on kid, lets-,"

"I'm a monster," Sunset said, tears coming down her cheeks. "I deserve to be here."

"You're not a monster," Uncle Auger said. "You're a kid who made stupid mistakes, you don't-,"

"Yes I am," Sunset said tearfully. "I ruined someone's life for something so stupid." Uncle Auger let out sigh.

"Your friends don't think you're a monster," Uncle Auger said. "They were upset, sure, but they miss you."

"No they don't," Sunset whimpered.

"I can prove it," Uncle Auger said. He made a wave, and a blue-skinned girl approached.

"Rainbow Dash," Sunset said with astonishment.

"In the flesh," Rainbow said with a proud smile that left Sunset confused. "Auggie, could you excuse us. Sunset and I need to talk."

"Sure," Auger said, walking away from her.

"Why are you here?" Sunset said with narrowed, but still tearful eyes.

"Our friends miss you, and so does Twinkle," Rainbow Dash said.

"Oh please," Sunset said with suspicion. "We're not friends. You never wanted to be my friend. You've hated me since I got back."

"I did," Rainbow Dash said with a sheepish smile. "To be honest, I still kind of do."

"Then why are you here?" Sunset said. "I got someone locked up. I got them raped. I crippled them for life. All for a stupid reason!"

"I see," Rainbow said. "We'll I guess I deserve to be locked up forever than."

"What?" Sunset said, confused as Rainbow took a seat next to her on the concrete bench.

"In fact, I'm worse than you," Rainbow said, getting somewhat chocked up. "You hurt some stranger. I crippled my...best friend." Sunset looked at her in utter disbelief.

"When I was ten years old," Rainbow began. "There was one girl who meant more to me than anything. Her name was Blossomworth."


"Come on B," a young Rainbow Dash whined to the other occupant of the bedroom. "Let's go play outside." The mousy, white-skinned girl with watermelon colored hair barely looked up from the book she was reading.

"Later," Blossomworth said. "I've got to get through the third chapter of Daring Do."

"You can do that egghead stuff any time," Rainbow Dash groaned. Blossomworth continued to read. "OK, B, whatever you say," Rainbow Dash said with a sly smile. Blossomworth continued to read in silence, until something came along and snatched her book.

"Hey," Blossomworth said with dismay. She saw Rainbow Dash holding her book up with a mean smile, "give that back!"

"You want it," Rainbow said. She opened the front door ,"you'll have to catch me!" she lept out the door, laughing all the way.

"Get back here Rainbow," Blossomworth yelled, running after her Rainbow haired friend.


"She sounds like Fluttershy," Sunset mused.

"I know," Rainbow said with a cheeky smile. "That's why I loved messing with her so much. We did everything together."


"Drop and give me 60," Rainbow said to her friend.

"I can't even do one," Blossomworth whined, already tired.

Rainbow groaned and face palmed.


"So if you carry the seven," Blossomworth confidently said to Rainbow, "the answer is seven." The two were doing their math work together. "How did you do?"

"Look," Rainbow said, proudly showing off a doodle, "I drew a Pegasus with dragon wings that shoots laser beams through its eyes."

Blossomworth groaned and face-palmed.


"Sounds like you were good friends," Sunset said neutrally. "So what went wrong?"

"We met someone who...we thought was cool." Rainbow Dash took a deep breath.


Rainbow and Blossomworth were walking through Garden Park, enjoying ice cream cones on a hot summer day. They noticed a crowd had gathered around the really tall statue that was the shape of a giant domino.

"What's going on there," Rainbow said.

"I don't know," Blossomworth said.

"Let's go see," Rainbow said excitedly. She ran to the crowd, dragging an unwilling Blossomworth along with her.

Rainbow Dash looked in awe at what she saw:

Some white-skinned girl with white-greyish hair was using a rope to climb up the base of the 30 ft statue. While every kid watched with awe, she did it with the confident calm of someone who was strong.

"She's awesome!" Rainbow said, looking up at the girl with pride.

"She could get hurt," Blossomworth said with fear.

When she reached the top, everyone let out an applaud.

"That's right," the girl gloated. "I'm the best. You know it!" Using the rope, the girl slowly came down the sculpture, as the applause died down.

"Let's go meet her," Rainbow said happily. Blossomworth timidly followed her behind.

"Hey," Rainbow said to the girl. The girl turned to her, yellow eyes looking at her with suspicion.

"Yeah," she said.

"Can we hang out with you," Rainbow said.

"No," the yellow-eye girl said firmly. "I don't let losers into my club." Rainbow bristled a bit.

"We're not losers," Rainbow said. Blossomworth just shook her head.

"Well," she said with a sly smile. "You're gonna have to prove it."


"So that's how you met Gilda," Sunset said.

"Yeah," Rainbow said with some regret. "Say what you want about her, but she would be the best gym coach ever."


Gilda and her club, which included a few kids, went on a brutal jog through the park.

"Come on," Gilda said. "Keep it up."

"I'm tired," Blossomworth said, struggling to keep pace.

"The Changelings won't care if you tired when they're trying to kill you on the battlefield," Gilda said in a mocking tone.


"That doesn't sound to bad," Sunset said.

"Yeah," Rainbow said, "but then Gilda started doing...less...cool things."


"Now you have to break a window with a rock," Gilda said to Blossomworth and Rainbow as they approached an old factory. Rainbow looked excited, while Blossomworth looked nervous. The took the rocks, while Gilda and her gang chanted their names.

"Come on, B," Rainbow Dash said. "Don't think of it as breaking people's stuff. Think of it like a...video game."

"I guess," Blossomworth said timidly. Rainbow tossed first, smashing a window on the first floor. Blossomworth three her rock, only for it to smash into a nearby parked car. Everyone in Gilda's gang looked confused, seeing the destroyed windshield.

"Eh," Gilda said with a shrug. "Close enough." The car alarm was soon activated.

"Run," someone said. They ran away, before the owner of the car could find them.


"I'm guessing Gilda eventually did something really bad," Sunset said with trepidation.

"Not just her," Rainbow said, her expression becoming morose. After some hesitation, Rainbow explained what she had done.


"Alright maggots," Gilda said, "this is your final test." Gilda, Rainbow, Blossomworth, and the rest of Gilda's gang were on the roof of a two story townhouse. She pointed to some thin ledge 15 ft below them, which was only as wide as an adult foot. "I'm gonna lower you down," she said, holding up a bedsheet rope. "And you have to walk all the way down the ledge and all the way back.

"Cool," Rainbow Dash said. Blossomworth let out a whimper.

"Do it," Gilda said. Rainbow went to the edge, grabbed the rope, and slowly lowered herself down. Using her patience and skill, Rainbow walked the narrowed ledge and back in 10 minutes flat. She was pulled back up, to the applause of Gilda and everyone else.

"Nice job, Rainbow," Gilda said. "Now its your turn," she said, handing the sheet to Blossomworth.

"Rainbow," Blossomworth said with a shaky voice, "I'm scared." Rainbow looked concerned.

"C'mom Gilda," Rainbow said, "maybe she can do something el-,"

"No," Gilda said with cross arms. "Either she goes, or she'll be a loser forever."

"But-,"

"Don't you want to be cool Rainbow?" Gilda asked warningly.

"You gotta do it, B," Rainbow said.

"But-,"

"If you don't," Rainbow said warningly, "then you're not my friend. Don't be such a wuss."

"OK," Blossomworth said with a whimper. Using the bedsheet rope, she slowly lowered herself onto the ledge. Which shaking legs, she slowly walked on the narrow ledge.

"C'mon B," Rainbow said, "you can do it. You can-," Blossomworth tripped, causing her to fall. She barely held onto the ledge for dear life.

"Help me!" Blossomworth said. "Help me!"

"Don't worry, B," Rainbow said. "I'll come down and help-,"

"I can't hold on much longer," Blossomworth said with a cry, her fingers getting weaker.

"I'm coming," Rainbow said. But just as she began to lower herself down, Blossomworth lost her grip and fell down.

"B!' Rainbow said. A cool silence hung over the air, as the kids stood silently as they processed what occurred. The silence was broken by Gilda patting Rainbow on the shoulder.

"Don't worry Rainbow," Gilda said. "She was just wimp. You didn't need her."

"What?" Rainbow said in a cold voice.

"She couldn't handle it," Gilda said. Rainbow began clenching. "Now you've got-,"

Rainbow launched herself at Gilda, tackling her with a scream. The two girls went into a vicious brawl that Gilda's other gang began watching like it was a boxing match.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Gilda said, fighting with Rainbow. "I let you into my-,"

"YOU HURT MY FRIEND!" Rainbow said, pulling on Gilda's white hair.

"What are you kids doing here," a male voice said. To their horror, a uniformed officer approached them.

"I found some poor girl lying on the ground," the officer said with a dangerous edge, "did you kids have anything to do with it?" The fight ended. Rainbow stood up, looking fearfully at the man, while Gilda looked annoyed.


"Did Blossomworth….die?" Sunset asked Rainbow in a grave voice.

"No," Rainbow said, tears pouring out of her eyes. "But-," she took a deep breath before continuing.


The doctor jabbed an unconscious Blossomworth's legs. They didn't respond. She jabbed them again. They were still inert. The man turned to Blossomworth's parents with a grave expression.

"I'm sorry," the doctor said, "your daughter is paralyzed from the waist down."

Rainbow stood in the waiting room with her parents, awaiting the news. Blossomworth's parents burst out of the room.

"What-,"

"YOU!" Blossomworth's mom bellowed at Rainbow Dash. "You turned by daughter into a cripple."

"Please," Windy said, "let's all deal with-,"

"My daughter can't walk anymore!" Blossomworth's father said. "There is no "dealing" with this."

"Leave her alone," Bow said. The two adults descended into a vicious argument. Rainbow Dash ignored them and walked up to the door of Blossomworth's hospital room, peered through a window, and saw the unconscious girl. She put her hand on the window, and broke down and cried in shame while her parents and their parents continued to argue loudly.


"Blossomworth never spoke to me again," Rainbow said, a tear running down her eye. "And her parents moved away. That was the last time I saw her."

"Oh please," Sunset said. "That was an accident. I deliberately destroyed someone's life."

"Not exactly the same," Rainbow said, "but like you, I only cared about getting what I wanted. You wanted to be a princess, and I wanted to join Gilda's club. We both cared more about what we wanted than the people around us." Rainbow took a deep breath. "And like you, everyone hated me."


"Hey Rainbow," a voice said to the solitary Rainbow Dash, who was sitting alone eating lunch. She looked up and saw Bon Bon looking at her with an odd smile..

"Want to play with my Joy Boy?" Bon Bon said holding it up.

"Sure," Rainbow said, reaching for it, only for Bon Bon to snatch it away.

"I never said you could play with it," Bon Bon gloated with a nasty grin. Bon Bon's friends started laughing. "You'll probably break it, like you broke Blossomworth." Everyone in the cafeteria started laughing. Rainbow Dash ran into the bathroom, hid in a stall, and started crying her eyes out. She flushed, hoping no one could hear the noise.


"But eventually people got over it," Rainbow Dash said, her usual bravado returning to her voice ,"eventually, people started letting me back into their parties. And eventually I stopped feeling sorry for myself. And even though I could never take back what I did, I could do the next best thing."

"What's that?"

"I learned from my mistakes and did better," Rainbow said with a warm smile.


Fluttershy walked down the streets, cooing over the baby turtles she was allowed to take care off. She walked them home in her box.

"Hey Flutters," a mean voice said. Fluttershy saw Lightning Dust glaring at her.

"Hey Lightning," Fluttershy said with a whimper.

"Give me your pet turtles," Lightning Dust screamed at the yellow girl. "I want turtle soup."

"No," Fluttershy said, holding the box to her chest to protect the adorable baby turtles.

"Give it," Lightning Dust said with a mean smile, "or else."

"Leave her alone," a voice yelled. Lightning turned and saw Rainbow Dash looking at her with bared fists.

"Hey Crash," Lightning Dust said, "beat it."

"Leave her alone," Rainbow Dash repeated.

"What are you gonna do?" Lightning Dust asked, "push me off a ledge." She turned back to a whimpering Fluttershy. "Now give me the-," Rainbow threw a massive fist that sent Lightning Dust to the ground, clutching her cheek.

"Want some more," Rainbow said warningly, baring both her fists. Lightning Dust whimpered a bit and ran away.

"Thank you," Fluttershy said, "I'm Fluttershy."

"I'm Rainbow," the blue-skinned girl said. "Don't worry. I won't let anyone hurt you."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said, putting the turtles down before giving Rainbow a hug. Despite being a tough girl, Rainbow Dash accepted the hug.


"But," Sunset said with a whimper. "I did so many-,"

"You're not helping anyone sitting here," Rainbow Dash said. "Our friends miss you. You're hurting them by staying here feeling sorry for yourself." Sunset still looked away.

"Listen to me," Rainbow said. "You're capable of doing great things. The best way you can make amends is by leaving this cell and going back to doing good things." Sunset didn't move. "You sitting here isn't the right thing. It's selfish because our friends still care about you. It's selfish because there's a good guy out there who likes you. It's selfish because you there's a whole wide world out there that needs you to do good things. You're going out there, even if I have to drag you out myself. If I can face the guilt and the shame, so can you. And if you're afraid, I promise, I'll be by your side in case you need me," Rainbow finished with a stern and powerful expression.

"You want to be my friend?" Sunset asked Rainbow.

"Sure," Rainbow said. Sunset jumped up from the concrete bench and gave Rainbow a big hug.

"Yes, your welcome," Rainbow said. "Can you let go," Rainbow said with some annoyance. Sunset, realizing she was holding onto Rainbow for longer than necessary, let her go with a blush.

"Sorry," Sunset said sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it," Rainbow said. "I'm just so hawt," Rainbow said in a steamy, seductive voice. Sunset snorted.


Rainbow and Sunset walked out of the jail. Sunset's optimism crashed when she saw who was there.

Her friends and Twinkle, all looking at her with an odd look. Sunset slowly approached them, her expression becoming more morose as she got closer. Eventually, Sunset fell to her knees in tears. She wept and wept, out of guilt for doing what she did, and out of shame for having let them down.

Suddenly she found herself being hugged. She saw Twinkle wrapping his strong arms around Sunset. She was followed by Rainbow, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. Applejack stood around, still nervous about being touched. But eventually, she overcame her fear and joined in.

Despite the bitter cold of the day and despite her tears, being surrounded by people who still cared about her made Sunset feel as warm as the sun itself.

From a distance, Auger looked at his nephew with no small amount of pride.

"My nephew Twinkle is growing up," he said with a tiny, but proud, smile.

PreviousChapters Next