• Published 13th Aug 2012
  • 2,250 Views, 36 Comments

Sweet Music - fic Write Off



Round 5 of the Ponychan Write-off

  • ...
0
 36
 2,250

Memories of Chaos

A wayward spell. A burst of magic. I could almost taste the chaos as the unicorn sent itself flying back, the spell flying every direction possible. I grinned and reached out my paw in hopes that this would be the one.

My paw closed on nothing and the grin vanished. Chuckling, I sat down and shook my head. “So close, yet so far. Sometimes, I think I can almost touch the chaos you work so hard to stifle. Sometimes I think you made the barrier between me and it as thin as possible to taunt me.”

I looked around my prison, an endless void of a misty darkness. If I swished my tail, the almost cloud-like substance at my hoof would swirl around wildly, rising to my chest before disappearing. Each time this happened, another swath of the stuff appeared. In all honesty, it reminded me of the cotton candy clouds I used to make for fun. Perhaps it was another taunt by the princesses, but I shook my head, banishing the thought. She may have been cruel, but she was had cared enough for me to avoid dirty blows.

I looked up again, staring straight ahead. The games I had played a million times over with the fog no longer sufficient enough to appease my desire for chaotic fun. For a few minutes, an eerie silence prevailed. Finally, I could stand it no longer.

“Did you know, if I didn’t talk, shout, scream out loud, I would have gone crazy ages ago?” I yelled. “Huh? Did you know that, Luna? Is this what you wanted? It’s certainly not what I wanted!”

I fell to my knees and slammed my talon into whatever surface I stood on. I couldn’t see it, nor did I care at the moment. All that mattered is that it was solid and I could vent some of my frustration on it.

With each strike, another memory of my time spent on Equestria came to the forefront of my mind as they did every day, if you could call them days. That was another thing about this realm. For all I knew, I could have been here for a minute, a day, a hundred thousand years. For all I knew the seal set by the princesses could have been complete and I would be trapped here forever.

“The Princesses... Princess Luna.” I gritted my teeth and hit the ground yet again. “I knew the relationship was one-sided, but I would have never guessed. Even I didn’t foresee your betrayal.”

Her eyes, or rather the memory of her eyes seemed to float in front of me. They were filled with anger, determination, and a touch of confusion. I couldn’t help and sigh with a small, but sad smile. “You still have the cutest eyes of any pony I’ve seen.”

The rest of the memory formed slowly, but surely. Her eyes were followed by a face, a head, a neck, her body. Finally, she stood in front of me in her entirety. She trotted around me, her lips moving, but no sound coming out. Though, I had watched this scene so often that I no longer needed her to speak. I knew the words by heart and I would never forget her voice.

“We do not know what to think of thine proposal,” my mind supplied. “We are an alicorn. The ruling body of Equestria. And thou art a—”

“Abomination to some,” I whispered, finishing the line spoken who knows how long ago. “But that’s what I like about you. You see past that. You’re willing to see me more than just a patchwork quilt of creatures.”

Luna stopped and rested a hoof on my paw. My resolve nearly broke as it did every time I lived this memory. Reaching out, I put my talon on her leg, but as usual, it fell through, meeting the soft fur on my own paw.

“That may be true, but thou know as well as we do that our task as bearer of the Elements of Harmony and thine position as god of chaos puts us on opposite sides.” She patted my paw and continued her walk around me.

I could have said anything there. I could have let it drop. But I didn’t. I tried to push the issue. I used a bad example. Maybe if I hadn’t used that example, she would have remained more neutral and refused to help her sister lock me away when the time came.

I waved my talon at her and sighed, the example was bad, but I felt compelled to finish the memory to the latter. Thought, she would speak the same lines no matter what words came out of my mouth. “Couldn’t we be like Poneo and Muliet?” I said. “Look at that story, it’s a prime example. A pony and a mule getting together in true love.”

Snorting, Luna stopped and glared at me. “May we remind you that both Poneo and Muliet ended up dead.” She brought her face close to mine and growled, “Doest thou wish we kill ourselves for the sake of thine fantasy?”

Fully immersed in the memory now, I waved my talon and paw frantically, backing up. “Of course not! I would never imply such a thing!”

If the memory had been real life, I would have backed into the magical shield containing me. I had been foolish that night. Thinking I was in the company of absolute friends, I had snuck into Luna’s bedchambers in hopes that she would hear out my proposal.

The change in scenery had been drastic. Outside, one could see my work, chaos at its finest. Buildings floating upside down, candy clouds, a checkered lawn at the base of the mountain. Birds half flew half drifted through the air. The sky was a weird part blue, part green. All in all, it showed the struggle between chaos and harmony quite well, with me winning of course.

However, inside, everything was neat, clean, and harmonic. Not a single wrinkle had marred the bed against the center of the back wall. The desk in the corner looked like it had been organized recently. Well, as recently as a million years ago, for all I know. Papers lay neatly stacked on it with the quills sitting in their holders on the corner.

Along the wall opposite the window ledge I would sit on, there were two bookshelves, their books all nice and orderly, alphabetically arranged. On the wall, maps and posters were tacked up one after another. Oh, how I would have loved to introduce chaos to the room. But Luna, who stood in the center, had been smart that night and trapped me in a temporary bubble in which I couldn’t use my magic.

For a few moments, we just stood there. She glared at me and I stared back, a forlorn look on my face. Though, at the time, I had grinned, confident the containment bubble would break or Luna and her sister would fail to banish me. Finally, I looked over her shoulder and from the misty darkness, Princess Celestia emerged. Her usual flowing mane hanging limp at her side due to being just woken up. I could see the hazy grogginess in her eyes and she stifled a yawn just before she walked into hearing range.

“Luna! I came as soon as the guards came to me!” She stopped in the doorway, her eyes filled with concern, searching for anything that may be wrong with her sister. “They told me that you trapped...” Her gaze fell on me and her eyes narrowed. “Discord. Why are you here?”

I couldn’t help but smirk, even now that I was trapped in stone. “Oh, you know. Trying to get with your beautiful sister. Though—”

“And you know very well that she’s not interested!” Princess Celestia cried. “You’ve only hurt her! Your attempts at destroying harmony, everything she’s worked so hard to build! It... it—” She stomped her hoof, leaving deep indents in royal red carpet that covered part of the evenly spaced stone floor.

Before Celestia could finish, though, Luna interrupted her. “We can speak for ourselves, sister.” She turned to me and said, “However, she is right. We are displeased with thine attempts to disrupt our harmony. We are duty bound to the land and thou make the job more stressful than needs be.”

My face fell, I had to swallow back tears. The painful part was coming. The rejection. It was never easier to bear than the first time it happened. The way she had looked at me, there had been confusion there, but beside her sister, that look had been overshadowed by an anger that wasn’t quite anger. It’s hard to explain, even to myself, but that’s the impression I got. It was almost an anger tinged with regret that neither of us could be swayed.

For what seemed like an eternity, though probably only a minute, we stood there, examining each other. With each passing second, I could sense the bubble around me dissipating. Soon, I could make my escape and try again later. However, I wasn’t sure I would have run if the bubble had disappeared in time anyways.

Perhaps it was my obsession with Luna that was my downfall. I really did want to be with her, but I was too wrapped up in my fantasies to see that it wasn’t the time for an attempted relationship. Or maybe I just underestimated their magical skill. Whatever the case, what happened next sealed my fate.

I had never bothered to memorize the words to what happened next. I only knew that they had hurt me more than a knife or blade ever could. What they said had something to the effect of Celestia asking Luna to help her use the Elements of Harmony to lock me away and Luna agreeing.

They stood together, charging the spell. Even now, I still hit my paw against the shield. Though in this stone prison, I found myself on my knees yet again, smashing my fist against the floor. The magic reached its peak strength just as my magical prison melted away. I reached my talon as far as it would go through the hole slowly widening in the shield, my mind pushing the two princesses closer than it had happened in reality. A vain attempt to touch my beloved one last time before taking my forced leave from Equestria.

My talon barely touched the crown Princess Luna always wore just as I shut it down, the entire memory. I had been sealed away once, and I wouldn’t be sealed away again. Even if it were only a memory.

Just before it faded completely, something strange happened. Something that never happened happened. A small object of medium weight dragged my talons down, its cool surface alien on my skin. Blinking in surprise, I pulled my arm back and examined the item.

It was a small circlet meant to be worn around a horn. White points of light seemed to emanate from the black, shiny surface. Realization hit me like a bolt of lightning. By some unknown force, I now held the crown of Princess Luna.

Focusing ever so slightly, I could feel her presence. Enough magic connected my realm to Equestria that I could also feel her surroundings. Upon experimentation, I found I couldn’t widen the hole, but I could worm my magic through. A drop of chaos here, a splash of wayward magic there. Nothing noticeable or traceable to me. While there was harmony, there did have to be some chaos to balance it out and I would use that to my advantage.

A familiar anger, one brought on by a sense of betrayal clouded my judgement. In a single instance, I decided on a plan. My ultimate plan. Corruption, her own banishment. Even the playing fields a bit and maybe someday I could get together with her. That is, if I could escape my own punishment. I knew better than to expect her to be banished to the same realm as me.

The crown fell from my grasp, hitting the ground with a soft, song-like ping.

“The sweet, sweet music of chaos.” A grin spread across my face as I rubbed my talon and paw together.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and extended my magic. I must have prodded too hard because she jumped in surprise. I’m sure that with my slip up in using too much power, she recognized my stylistic magic. I could almost see her looking around the room frantically, worried that I had escaped and was messing with her.

For the first time since ever, I grew fearful. The last thing I wanted her to do was freak out and get her sister to plug the hole I had inadvertently created. However, after a few moments, she settled down, able to recognize my magic, but unable to trace it.

I chuckled to myself and shuddered in excitement. I now had a sense of time. It wasn’t much, and I couldn’t tell how many years had passed since my imprisonment. But, I could now feel the seconds wash over me. They quickly turned to minutes and hours, but I didn’t care. I had all the time I could possibly want.

Over the next few days, oh it felt so good to recognize the days, I worked on controlling my magic. Time lost its meaning and I focused on nothing more than training, unaware of my surroundings. I would nudge a pony over a few steps so that their spells would misfire. A levitation spell broken so something smashed against the ground. A illumination spell snuffed so some small unicorn foal would start crying, afraid that a monster hid in the darkness of their room.

Soon, I extended my magic beyond unicorns. I would force a pegasus to fall off a cloud and giggle at their anger as they blamed faulty clouds. Or I could move a stone to trip an earth pony and burst out laughing as they kicked it angrily.

However, that was the extension of my powers. I never could use more than fit through the hole and I couldn’t make the connection wider. No matter how much I tried, the only pony I could use actual spells on was Luna. I chalked it up to the connection being through her, but after two or three weeks, I didn’t care.

As I learned just how much magic I could push through before Luna noticed, I focused more and more on just her. I would cause the things around her to crash to the ground. I would interrupt a spell of hers. I would amplify her voice slightly to make her seem more mean than she really was.

Finally, I worked up the nerve to enact my plan. I was confident. I could never get her to free me. Her sister would see through that plan too quickly, but I could get Luna banished. Maybe after a thousand years, she would see things my way. We could finally be together. So, with a little push I clouded her mind for a mere three seconds.

In those three seconds, she saw a world much different from what actually existed. I grinned wickedly as she suddenly saw an Equestria where ponies only saw the moon and by extension, her, as a convenience. A time to rest before returning to their worship of the sun.

Over the next few months, I would make a game of it. During a meeting, I would impair her judgement and suddenly, a noble’s request would seem to be directed at Princess Celestia rather than both princesses. I might strike during a meal and suddenly, a passing comment by her sister would remind Luna that the food she ate had been grown during the day, not the night. I did this once, maybe twice a day.

Slowly, I didn’t even need to prod her. She would see these flaws in Equestrian society on her own. She grew paranoid. I only had to watch as her sanity collapsed on its own. Thus, Nightmare Moon came to be, replacing the once kind, noble princess.

“Soon, my darling. Soon you will see things my way, and then perhaps we can be together for an eternity.” I smiled and laughed deeply. Everything was going according to plan.