• Published 19th Aug 2019
  • 289 Views, 4 Comments

Unforgiven Bloodline - mr_minati



After a decade of living a fairly average and careless life on Thorax's new hive, the two young sons of Chrysalis, face their biggest threat. Their past seems to finally cought up to them.

  • ...
 4
 289

Under Pressure

Aura is a series of open fields and land at the edge of the Blood Oak woods that makes up Danaus and Facia’s farm. Gentle winds blow calmly all the time around this area thanks to the mountains to the northwest that block convection currents, keeping the airflow on this side. Facia explained that the wind helps generate power to the house, and the water was pumped from an artesian well sitting on the northeast side.

Danaus had left hastily an hour ago, giving Facia time to care for the young-lings. Their wounds were treated and cleaned as much possible, and they were fed with freshly harvested fruits and veggies. With Facia having shown herself trustworthy, Calyx was feeling a bit energized and hopeful.

Facia decided to give the changelings a little tour around Aura since Calyx showed interest in the place. Without much better to do, Spiracles abided and went along. She showed them all the various products planted in patches across the fields and a greenhouse where they kept some hybrids. Calyx was impressed of how self sustaining the couple were in a place like Blood Oaks, but on the other hoof, Spiracles yawned with disinterest. Lastly, they stopped at a garden.

“These here are my babies,” Facia said as they stepped inside. A few prancing pony ornaments decorated the place and a round fountain sat in the center with dozens of small flowers of different varieties surrounding it.

“My own little garden. Twenty six different species from around the northern regions of Griffonstone. They’re almost like Souvenirs from our little travels that we had on our anniversary.”

Calyx took a look around, but she was only able to recognize a couple of the flowers Facia had. She was fascinated by the beauty each exhibited. The color changing petals on some, the shapes of a few others resembling familiar objects.

“They're absolutely beautiful, Facia,” Calyx said. “This is way better than a pet.” She spotted one of the flowers who its petals began to flap and flutter all the way to her face. From out of nowhere butterflies showed up landing on both siblings.

Seeing the charming butterflies crawling on the little changelings made Facia smile. “Aww, they seem to like you two!"

“Actually it’s the opposite of that, these things hates us as much as every other animal we encounter. Animals either hate us or fear us.” Calyx explained while one big monarch crawled to her eye. She quickly shook it off and said, “These are just mildly annoying since they can’t sting us or anything.”

“C’mon now, that's a bit exaggerated, isn’t it? We’ve all been bitten and chased by creatures, but you’re still young. Give ‘em a chance.”

“They’ve had enough chances already. We even got banned from a petting zoo once without even trying,” Spiracles said, shaking the persistent butterflies away until he hissed and scared them off.

“Oh dear…” Facia reached her chest. Her ears twitched as she heard the buzzing of bees approaching. “Heh, guess that’s enough of our little tour. Let’s head back little-lings. Come along.”

The siblings followed the hippogriff who hummed peacefully while keeping an eye out for any invasive bee.

“Ms. Fairytale?” Calyx asked.

“Yes, Calyx?”

“You met Danaus back at the factory, right?”

“Oh, no, I didn't really meet him there, but it was where I first set eyes on him so long ago. Dan was so polite. Actually the only polite changeling who greeted us,” Facia chuckled.

“So, you’ve been in that place then?”

“Yes, once. My dad basically dragged me by the feathers, he wanted to sell some stupid suplements he made back then. We ended up getting kicked out after they stole our crates.”

“Damn, tough luck.” Spiracles commented.

“Hmm, a supplement you say? Maybe your father product was what triggered the creation of the ‘TC 110’…” Calyx mused.

Facia gave her a confused look.

“It was a dispenser machine used to provide supplement to the workers automatically. I'm guessing since it was implemented just a few years before the Union Revolt,” Calyx explained.

“Oh wow, that's crazy. The old griff would’ve flipped if he ever found out...”

“Now I feel sorry for your dad, Facia,” Spiracles commented. However, he raised a brow shen he heard a soft laugh from Facia.

“Not really, in the end the ol‘ griff wanted to take advantage of you. He definitely learned not to mess with the changelings.” Suddenly, she halted right in the middle of the field. A breeze caressing her feathers and mane, the chimes playing in the distance.

“Something wrong, Facia?” Calyx asked.

“Oh, just an observation.” The tips of her claws were tapping each other. “I thought that you two were pretty young, but you seem to know a lot about the equipment from that place like you were there ten years ago. You do handle the subject very casually as opposed to other changelings that I've met though.”

“No, you’re right,” Spiracles replied. “We’re only 10, both of us were born after the revolt.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah, we were lucky to avoid all that. My sister is the one who’s obsessed with the machinery the changelings used to make and all.”

Calyx shrugged. "How can I not be intrigued!? Changelings were outstanding innovators and contributed greatly to the development of the kingdoms in the past! I believe that we still can be great builders in the future."

Facia nodded. "An interesting point, I must say. Let's hope for no more dark times though. You two were blessed enough to be born after all that. I thought I had it rough when I was a young before I went to that Industrial nightmare.” She shivered. “Can't imagine living in a place like that. Hazards everywhere, toxic substances as far as the eye can see and completely so barren of any vegetation. The constant pressure to perform weighed on Dan so heavily that he nearly went mad."

“We know, everyling made sure about it,” Spiracles said. He put a hoof on his sister’s shoulder and added, “That's why we've been enjoying our time and making the most of our freedom.”

Calyx shovedSpiracles off. “Correction, I've been enjoying it and you just do whatever dumb thing you can think of.”

A loud insectile buzz at their backs made them turn. Toxidia flying towards them in a hurry, and abruptly landed in front of the trio.

“Sorry neighbor but can't really help you today,” Facia said and gestured whipping her eyes at the little-lings. “And Danaus just left, so you’ll have to come back tomorrow.”

Toxidia frowned. “I’m not here to buy your so-called nectar of-”

“Oh silly me!” Facia cut her off laughing nervously. “I haven't introduced you to my little visitors! This is Toxidia, my neighbor, these two are-”

“Calyx and Spiracles, Spiracles and Calyx. The two innocent little changelings,” she hissed.

“Oh, so you’ve met before, nice.”

“Yes, we’ve met years ago. A decade ago to be exact.”

“Uh, don’t you mean like, an hour or two ago?” Calyx asked. “We literally just asked you for directions before we got here, and we only met today.”

“No, that is not the case. You see, I finally put two and two together after you told me your names and I saw that mark on your hoof.” She grabbed Calyx’s foreleg. “It’s the industrial triad, mother and two children.” She letted go and pointed at Spiracles. “And you also have it.”

Spiracles checked under his hoof to see his scar. His mind drew the image of the triangle with the jewel in its middle within the outlines of his scar. “Oh… that's kinda cool.”

She frowned. “You know who could’ve done such a horrendous thing like that? The old Queen, of course, your griddy, oppressive, and evil mother.” She spat. “She was trying to make that the new trademark for the expansion of the hive industry.”

“What!?” Facia exclaimed as she flared her wings. “I knew that mark seemed strange, but is that true?”

“No, of course not!” Calyx replied. “I bet she can’t even prove it.”

“Ah ah aah.” Toxidia tapped her silver badge. “This thing tells no lies. Even the animals know where your blood comes from, isn't that right Calyx? Rock crabs aren’t territorial, they don't go out of their way to attack anyling for no reason. You're both cursed, just like that monster before you."

Calyx just stood silent rubbing her hoof. A line was drawn in her mind contemplating the answer brought before her. Events from the past lined up, creating into a disturbing possibility that shook Calyx to her very core.

Toxidia gestured to her neighbor. "You know who I am Facia, I wouldn’t just come out of nowhere with an accusation like this.”

Having listened enough, Spiracles stepped forward. “C'mon, are you really gonna believe her? She's making us seem as if we’re some evil creatures and I assure you that is not the case… although it sounds kinda cool if I- ow.”

Calyx kicked his leg. “No it isn’t. We’re just regular changelings going through a rough day. Listen, all that we said before may seem weird to you, but from the bottom of my heart, we really do need your and Danaus's help, Facia. Polistes is in actual trouble.”

The hippogriff was met by Calyx's pleading look, and she glanced at Spiracles but he indifferent. They both looked so innocent to her, that they might’ve even been the most well-behaving little-lings she ever met.

“I want to believe you two,” She gave them a soft smile, to which both siblings beamed and wagged their tails eagerly. Then she turned to Toxidia and took a deep breath. “But with all these claims being made, I’ve realized that Polistes never told Dan about you two. He was as surprised as me, and I'm not so sure anymore.”

The young-ling's jaws dropped. They watched Facia stepped back from them with drooped ears and fear, as she sided with the smirking dark changeling. “Facia...”

The hippogriff shut her eyes and turned her head away from the kids.

“They lied and tried to manipulate you. Don't be ashamed, neighbor. They're exposed now.”

“What should we do now?” Facia asked.

“Now we talk to Danaus. Bring him over immediately,” Toxidia ordered with a stomp.

Facia gulped. “H-he went to help Polistes just like they asked for, almost an hour ago...” Suddenly she was grabbed and pulled face to face with her neighbor.

“Dammit, Facia! Do you realize what this means!?” Toxidia frantically shook her. “You just let Danaus walk into their trap! I was too late!”

An overwhelming wave of nausea hit the hippogriff’s gut, the mere thought of her husband falling into some kind of trap was overwhelming enough to make her sick.

Toxidia look at the sky. “May the great hive leader have mercy…”

Facia’s began to eyes tear up, and covering her beak to suppress her cry, she flew back to the house.

“Facia wait!” Calyx shouted, “That's not true! Don't leave!” However, instead of turning back to them, Facia slammed the door behind her.Calyx sank to the ground, at a loss as to how any of this could have happened.

Spiracles glared at the older changeling. “Why the hell you did that!?” He stomped furiously. “What do you want from us? You miss your old boss, can't live without her, huh? What is it, you fish eating creep!?”

“Miss her!?” Toxidia hissed, her split tongue sticking out from between her fangs and her translucent wings buzzing wildly. “That vile woman lied to me and abused me! She took us all for fools just so she and her close ones could get rich! How could I ever miss such a despicable creature!?” She took a step back from Spiracles and straightened herself to regain her composure. With a slight smile, she raised her chest. “No, I don't miss her at all. I bet you that she misses both of you though. Sentiments aside, as a responsible former caretaker for the great executive will gladly take you to your mother-- straight to the cauldron of tartarus were you belong!”

A sudden burst of green flames engulfed Toxidia and she grew in size. Where once a changeling mare stood, a silver scaled dragon took her place. Her furious red eyed glare washed over the siblings like a noxious wave. The energy used to make this transformation must’ve been immense, as Toxidia was nearly the side of the house now. Very slowly, the Calyx and Spiracles started to backaway.

“Wait, hold up! There's no need for that! W-we’re just kids, right? We can’t do anything to hurt anybody, right?” Spiracles laughed nervously, remembering that they both weren't in a position to confront a pissed changeling, especially since their magic had been disabled by the RAF agent.

The silver dragon raised her claw and swiped down at the siblings. Wild screams filled the air as they narrowly avoided the attack.

“I'll squash you like the little pests you are!” She growled.

“I guess she doesn't wanna talk anymore!” Spiracles yelled.

“Then let's scram!” Calyx said. Buzzing up their wings in an instant, they took to the sky as fast as they could. Down below, the monster loosed a bloodcurdling roar.

“Do you saw the size of that thing!?” Spiracles yelled.

“Yeah, guess her diet isn't as bad as you’d think!”

Taking a nervous look back, Spiracles watched the silver beast’s wings unfurl and launch the dragon into the air. Each violent flap of her huge wings covered twice the distance in half the time. He locked eyes with the monster just long enough to feel the bloodlust radiating like sunlight, ready to burn them the moment she had a chance.

“Faster sis, faster!” They did what they could to get away, but after such a long day of flying and fighting, their muscles wouldn’t take them any faster. The fatigue was so strong in fact, that they started to slow down instead.

“I-I can't… go any faster…” Calyx turned and gasped as she saw the dragon getting closer by the second. “She's too fast! We can’t out run her, we have to hide!”

Agreeing with a nod, Calyx and her brother dove into the Blood Oaks.The canopy fast approaching, they rotated to avoid their last fall into the woods. However, it was all in vain, as their pursuer had already caught up. The beast’s shadow fell on them before either changeling even noticed it. In one fell swoop, Toxidia caught Spiracles in a massive gleaming claw.

“Gotcha! Now isn’t this like old times? You could never escape me as a grub, the ten years didn’t seem to make a difference. Ha!” Toxidia laughed, tightening her grip as the poor little-ling struggled.

Calyx turned just in time to see the catch and gasped. If she stood by and did nothing, her brother would be a smear in a matter of seconds. Bubbling anger boiled in Calyx. This day had been nothing but trouble from start to finish. From her father’s smuggling, her brother’s theft, the attacks, the accusations, the betrayal, she’d had enough. Reaching the anger point, she turned on a dime and rushed head first after Toxidia.

Without warning, Toxidia’s mirth was interrupted by a wild eyed little changeling rocketing straight for her. Slamming into the beast’s stomach, the monster released the young-ling and let out a pained groan.

“That was amazing, Sis!” Spiracles shouted as he was approached by his worried sister. “You attacked a freakin’ dragon!”

“You little… urchin…!” Toxidia groaned as she hugged her belly.

“What? You really though she’d hug you or something?” Spiracles asked, the taste of victory in his mouth.

“Cocky little brat!” In a swift movement, Toxidia spun and swung her tail, striking down the two changelings. Caught unawares, they slammed down on the forest floor, back first, not even getting a chance to scream..

Calyx and Spiracles lay on the grass, gasping for air as they felt the life fading out of them. They turned to face each other with teary eyes, struggling to breathe with their aching muscles and twitching wings. Regaining a little strength, Spiracles was the first to get back up, or at least rise to a sitting position. He felt something a bit warm running down his snout, wiped at it, only to stare distraught at his hoof.

“Damn…” He said as he examined his own blood. “Almost whipped the chitin off us.”

His sister only moaned in reply. He turned to help her up, but just then, they felt a heavy step as trees were pushed aside and branches crackled and fell to the ground. The Dragon had returned. Observed the demon spawn, Spiracles bleeding and dazed, Calyx helpless on the grass, and chuckled to herself.

“No more running around little ones.” She brought her huge claws down, pinning the young-lings and slowly crushing them. “Time to die.”

The young-lings didn't resist, nor did they try to escape. Angered by the lack of struggle, Toxida stared Spiracles down and said,“Quit pretending and show me your true forms, filth!”

Spiracles could feel his breath escaping again, and his chitin was beginning to crack. “I'm sorry…” he managed.

“… What?” Confused, Toxidia pulled back enough to give them some air. They took a deep breath and Spiracles started again,

“We're sorry… for everything she did to you…” Another slight relief, and he took another breath. “We know she was a bad person, but until today… we didn’t know who our mother was. I don’t… know what happened, but… we’re not her…”

Toxidia growled, and shifted her weight to her arms again to crush them once and for all. Pain distorted the young-ling’s faces as their bodies started to give in. tears pooled and rolled down the young-ling’s eyes, and for a moment, Toxidia paused.

“I just want to go back with my dad to the hive and be with my friends again,” Spiracles cried. "The factory is gone isn’t it? Are we… really responsible for something we weren’t around for?"

Toxidia squinted her eyes shut and turned her head away. Her arms twitched and trembled. With a low growl, she slowly released the little changelings. She stepped back letting the brothers squirm and catch their breath, staring at the blood on her claws. “I've… made a mistake…” The dragon turned around and took to the sky.

The ground shook and the wind scattered leaves all around, eventually piling them up on the siblings.

“Sis, are you ok?” Spiracles said through the leaves covering his face.

“No…” she moaned .

Feeling the tender cracks along his exoskeleton, Spiracles sat up gingerly. “Let’s go back to Facia.” Calyx shook her head, not bothering to try and get up.

“That doesn’t sound like a good idea.”

“Oh, come on. I talked Toxidia out of killing us, I could probably convince Facia we aren’t evil too.” He got up on all fours, stretched his back, and extended Calyx a hoof. “Now let’s go. We got Pa to get back to.” ignoring the hoof entirely, Calyx brought one under her elbow, and the other under her chin, making the leaves above shift around the movement.

“She was so intent on killing us, so why did she stop? Even if she’s right and we are Chrysalis’s children, there’s no way you could’ve gotten through to her. There has to be another reason.”

Spiracles glanced around where the dragon left, and found no trace of her. Only the trail of leaves she blew off while taking to the sky. “Does it really matter?” He asked. “Who cares if the Old Queen was our mom? We’re not her, and we aren’t a threat to any-ling. I’m just living my life, and she’s not a part of it.” He extended his hoof one more time. “Are you gonna start the factory back up, sis?”

“No! Ugh, would you just carry me, please?” Her hooves poked out from the pile of leaves next to him. With a deep sigh, he proceeded to help his dear sister out. "Well, I still find it hard to believe that you convinced her to stop, but I can’t think of why else she would’ve. I’m proud of you, Spiracles," she said with tears in her eyes and holding her brother tight. Rolling his eyes, Spiracles gently trotted with his sister riding along in his back.

“Thanks, Sis.”