• Published 20th Aug 2019
  • 602 Views, 4 Comments

Between a Lover and a Friend - BoredAuthor817



Everyone needs a special someone. But, what do you do when that someone can jeopardize a friendship?

  • ...
2
 4
 602

Chapter 7

Sunset collapsed onto the couch.

Cookie placed Sunset's snack, a sliced apple, on the coffee table, “Sounds like you had a good day.”

“Mondays are always horrible.” A smile formed on her lips as Cookie sat down beside her.

“Doesn't get any better.”

“Remind me to become a millionaire by the time I graduate.”

“Better hurry up. You don't have much longer to go.”

“Darn-it!” Sunset chuckled.

“Come-on,” Cookie slapped Sunset's knee, “Eat your snack then you can help me with dinner. Maybe a little cooking will help get your mind off things.”

“It's not really cooking if all we have to do is reheat stuff.”

---

With a full stomach, Sunset fell back onto the sofa. As much as she knew she needed to start on her homework, an after-dinner nap sounded much more appealing. Which was why she was slightly annoyed when she was pulled back to the waking world by the sound of her ringtone. She checked the caller ID and sighed as she answered: “Hey, Rares... Uh, you wanted to work on that tonight? I thought— No, that's fine. It's just... Well,” she winced, “I'm not exactly at home right now... Yes...”

“Tell her to bring Applejack,” Cookie called from the kitchen.

“She says bring Applejack... Well, she can come after. It'll give Cookie someone to talk to while we're working... I dunno, two, three hours, at least... Just give her the address. We'll give her dinner... It's curry tonight. There's some for you, too, if you want. We made a huge batch last night... Yeah, we still haven't quite figured out portion control... Oh, well, maybe you can have dessert with us... It's a rice pudding... I dunno, whatever recipe we found online that sounded similar to what The Tasty Treat has. Tell you the truth,” she chuckled, “we haven't tried it yet. May want to bring something as a backup.

“... Okay,” she checked the time, “see you in an hour then?... Okay, I'll have a place set up for us... See ya.” She sighed once again as she ended the call.

“She's coming over then?” asked Cookie.

“Yep.”

“Where are you going to work?”

“Might as well do it here. The kitchen is in too much of a mess. And it's not fun working over the sound of the dishwasher.”

“What about Applejack?”

“We'll see.”

---

Almost exactly an hour later, the doorbell rang. Cookie went to answer it and, shortly she and Rarity joined Sunset in the living room.

“So, how were you wanting to tackle this?” Sunset asked, looking over their assignment.

“Well, did Ms. Cheerilee say how detailed she wanted our answers to be?” said Rarity.

“If I remember, she said something about them being mini essays. Something that we can build a discussion from in class.”

“May I ask what your assignment is?” Cookie asked as she placed down cups of coffee for the girls.

“We're to analyze The Scarlet Pimpernel,” replied Rarity, “Then, make a short presentation in class for discussion.”

“The whole book?”

“No,” said Sunset, “Ms. Cheerilee broke it down in to chunks. Rarity and I are looking at the first five chapters.”

“So, what are you going to talk about?”

“That's what we're trying to figure out. Ms. Cheerilee left it open. She's more interested in what we find interesting or notice.”

“She did give us some guidance,” explained Rarity, handing Cookie their handout, “She said to look at things like characters and themes.”

“We can also look a little into the history of the author and the era in which the book was written,” Sunset added.

“Well,” Cookie read the paper, “that certainly explains why Sunset was up all night reading.”

Rarity's face flushed while Sunset nervously gulped.

---

Rarity and Sunset were deep into their studies when the doorbell chimed.

“Oh,” Rarity said, jumping up, “that would be Applejack!”

“I'll get it,” Cookie said, “You two look very engrossed in your work.” She opened the door and instantly welcomed in the visitor. “You must be Applejack,” she smiled, “It's a pleasure to finally meet you!”

“Same here, Ma'am,” Applejack smiled, timidly.

“Oh, drop the ma'am stuff,” Cookie chortled, “Just Cookie will do.”

“Uh, sure Ms. Cookie.”

Cookie laughed, calling into the living room, “You never said she was so polite!” She laughed once more, bringing the farm girl into a half hug. “Have you eaten, my dear?”

“Uh, not really...”

“Do you like curry?”

Applejack awkwardly chuckled, “Rarity's kinda forced me to develop a taste for it.”

“Good, then you won't go to bed hungry tonight.” She led Applejack to the kitchen via the living room where Rarity briefly greeted her girlfriend.

“Why don't you join us out here?” she asked, “Sunset and I can clean off a little place for you.”

Sunset had already begun clearing a corner of the coffee table.

“If you don't mind?” Applejack turned to Cookie.

The elder woman waved her off, “Whatever you girls want. Go ahead and sit down, Applejack, it'll take a while to heat everything up. Do you want a drink?”

“Water, if you don't mind,” Applejack said, taking a seat on the floor near Rarity.

As Cookie went into the kitchen, Applejack glanced over the other's homework. “Scarlet Pimpernel, huh?”

“Yep,” said Sunset, “Hey, you had Ms. Cheerilee last semester, right?”

“Yep.”

“What did you do for your analysis?”

“Uhm...” Applejack looked at the ceiling in thought, “Octavia and I focused on the character of Marguerite and discussed whether or not she could be classified as an early-feminist icon.”

“Well, we can't do that,” said Rarity.

“Yeah," Applejack shrugged slightly, "we were given some of the later chapters.” She smiled to Rarity's mom as the latter emerged from the kitchen with a tall glass of water.

“So, what did you decide on?” asked Cookie.

“We've decided to focus on the author,” Sunset said, scrolling through her phone, “How her flight from Hungary as a child to escape a peasant uprising may have influenced the setting and character of the Scarlet Pimpernel.”

“Sounds like you've got a lot of research to do.”

“Not too much,” said Sunset, “I will need to use your printer, though.”

“I'd better make sure it's on, then,” Cookie smiled.

“Are you going to email the stuff to her?” asked Rarity.

Sunset shook her head, showing Rarity the printer app on her phone, “I can access the printer through the WiFi.”

“She gave you her WiFi password?”

Sunset slightly shrunk away, “Yes?”

“I suppose you have a key to the front door, too.”

Sunset gulped, “Uhm..” She slid slightly away from Rarity as Applejack scooted in.

Applejack wrapped an arm around her girlfriend and pulled her close. “It's okay,” she whispered into Rarity's ear, “Jus' remember what we talked about.” She knew Rarity couldn't say anything at the moment, but the calm breathing told her that Rarity would be alright.

“Printer's all set,” announced Cookie, “I put more paper in it, so you can print to your heart's content.” She made a quick sweep of the girls. “Now then, Applejack, let's get you some dinner.”

---

Applejack carried her emptied dish back to the kitchen. “That was amazin', Ms. Cookie,” she said, “Uh, do ya need any help with the dishes?”

“If you don't mind,” smiled Cookie, “I'd like to get to know you a little more. Have a little talk,” she winked, “woman to woman.”

Applejack sheepishly smiled.

“But, first,” the elder woman said, pulling out a tray of little rice pudding cups, “Let's enjoy our dessert. Will you grab the coffee?”

---

Cookie loaded the dishwasher while Applejack tended to the pots in the sink.

“So,” Applejack shuffled slightly, “you say you're heard a lot about me, but I really haven't heard much about ya. I mean, that really doesn't sound a whole lot like Rarity.”

“It wasn't Rarity,” Cookie said, solemnly.

Applejack raised an eyebrow, but waited for Cookie to continue.

“Sunset has been telling me everything about you and your friends. She left out the part of you dating my daughter, though.”

“I guess she wanted ya ta hear that from Rarity.” She slowly wiped a pot with a soapy dish rag, “To be honest, Rarity has told me nearly nothing about you. If ya don't mind my askin', jus' how is yer relationship with Rarity?”

Cookie heaved a sad sigh, “I don't really have one, with either of my daughters. Sure, I see them from time to time, and they spend weekends or full weeks with me around the holidays, and we talk on the phone every so often. But, I'm almost a stranger to them.”

“Forgive me, but that's a little impossible to believe, considerin' y'all live in the same city.”

“It's just how things worked out. I've tried. But, they've gone off and done their own things. I'm sure you have a good relationship with your mother.”

Applejack's head bowed slightly, “I lost my mother when I was little. My father, too. My siblin's and I were raised by our grandmother.”

“Oh, hon, I'm so sorry.”

“Thanks,” the girl smiled, “But, it's okay. Yeah, we miss 'em, but we've also learned to move on.”

“Still, it's not easy. I lost my mother when I was fairly young, too. Not as young as you, but I was in college.”

“I'm sorry to hear that.”

Cookie smiled, “So, it would appear you and I have a lot to talk about. Why don't you finish up those pots, I'll put on some coffee, and you and I can talk in here and leave those two to work in peace.”

Applejack cracked a smile, “I'd like that.”

---

The laughter in the kitchen was interrupted by a newcomer.

“Done?” Cookie asked.

Sunset shook her head. “Almost, but we needed a break,” she stretched, “Rarity ran off to the bathroom and I need more coffee.” She refreshed her cup, “Hope you two aren't swapping embarrassing stories.”

“None that concern you, dear,” Cookie said, tugging at Sunset's hand.

“Oh,” Sunset said, taking a sip, “Then I shall take that in that I have everything to fear.” She chuckled as Cookie pulled her toward the table, their lips meeting in a kiss.

“You staying the night?” Cookie asked.

“I just might,” Sunset took another sip, “At this rate, I'm gonna be too wired to drive home.”

“Ya might want to ask Rarity what she wants ta do,” Applejack said, “I was plannin' on givin' her a lift home, but if yer gonna work any later, that may not work. I promised Granny I'd be home this side of midnight.”

“What time is it now?” asked Cookie.

“Going on ten,” answered Sunset. She glanced upon a body in the hallway. “We're in here, Rarity,” she called out. She pointed to the coffee pot, “You want some?”

Rarity declined, “I think I've had enough. So, what's with the committee?”

“We're discussing how much more we want to work.”

“Well,” Rarity pondered, “how late were you planning on working?”

“That's kinda up to you,” Cookie said, “Sunset has already planned on staying the night. If you want to, too—”

“I'd like to get it done tonight, if at all possible,” Rarity said, quickly.

“Same,” agreed Sunset.

“So, I'll prepare the guest room for you, then” said Cookie, “Just let your father know you'll be spending the night with me.”

“In that case,” Applejack arose, “I'll be takin' my leave. Ms. Cookie, it was a pleasure meetin' you.”

“Same here,” Cookie smiled, “And I expect to be seeing more of you.”

“I'll see you out,” Rarity said, gently taking Applejack's hand.

Alone, Sunset turned to Cookie. “I'll sleep in the den tonight.”

Cookie sounded mildly shocked, “What? Why?”

“Part of my little agreement with Rarity.”

“You don't want her to worrying about what we may do?”

She doesn't want to know what we do.” Sunset sighed as she slid into a chair, “Look, I don't think Rarity is yet fully comfortable with us as a couple. But, she's promised to give us a chance if I promised a few things. Please, just humor me.”

“This is what was bugging you yesterday,” it was more statement than question.

“Part of it.”

“Okay,” Cookie acquiesced, “but don't be surprised if you wake up in the middle of the night to find another body in your bed.”

Sunset chuckled as she and Cookie kissed, “You're such a scoundrel.”