• Published 20th Aug 2019
  • 599 Views, 4 Comments

Between a Lover and a Friend - BoredAuthor817



Everyone needs a special someone. But, what do you do when that someone can jeopardize a friendship?

  • ...
2
 4
 599

Chapter 2

Slap!

The sound reverberated through the building. Everyone stopped to get a view of the group of girls standing in the hallway. By the expression of all but two of the girls, it was clear that one girl had struck the other. The whole school watched in anticipation of the next action.

“Well?” she growled, “Have you nothing to say?”

Sunset stood silently. Gently, she reached up and rubbed her stinging cheek. “Nothing that wouldn't get me hit again,” she said softly.

Rarity's hand clenched into a fist, “How dare you?”

“Do you really want to do this here?”

Rarity's eyes narrowed, “Is that a threat?”

“No, merely a suggestion. Look,” Sunset gestured to the rest of the corridor, “we're already the center of attention. I don't think you really want this to be public.”

“You weren't thinking about that yesterday.”

“So we like giving the neighbors something to gossip about. Who cares? We're two grown, consenting women.”

“She's my mother!”

Sunset folded her arms. “And who are you to dictate her love life? Besides, it's not like you have to see it. You live with your father.”

“They're only separated, you know.”

“Yeah, she told me. She's told me a lot of things. I'll admit, though, finding out she's your mom was a little shocking. Though, I did one up her by saying I was a pony from an alternate dimension. She took that one surprisingly well...”

“And you were still fine with that?”

“Okay, so you and I being friends does make things a bit... interesting. But, look, no one said you had to be involved!”

Rarity's fists tightened. “You're talking about my own flesh and blood here, of course I'm involved! You're such a good friend, how'd you think I'd feel?”

“You're one to talk. When were you going to tell her about Applejack?”

“That's beside the point!”

“Is it? Like mother, like daughter! Look, I've found something in Cookie that I have not found anywhere else. We're both grown adults, we know what we're getting into. And, I can tell you, it's not all what you think it is.”

“I saw you two smooching it up at her front door. I'm pretty sure I know what it is. I'm sure if I went into her bedroom, I'd find your clothes there. Tell me you're not doing it.”

“That's not really any of your business, but, yes,” Sunset smirked, “we're so doing it.”

Rarity pounced with a mighty roar. She, instead, landed on Applejack, who had stepped between the girls.

Applejack caught her girlfriend and took her aside in an effort to cool her down. Rainbow and Twilight jumped in front of Sunset to prevent her from exacting retaliation.

Sunset, however, had nothing in mind. “I'm not asking for your blessing, or your approval,” she said, “But, now that you know, I only ask for your respect.

---

Sunset dropped her book bag on the floor and collapsed onto the couch with a sigh. She smiled slightly as a nasaly-toned voice hit her ears.

“Hi, dear, how was school?” Cookie Crumbles emerged from the kitchen with an after-school snack, “Oh,” she smiled, “I know that look. Rough day?” She set the plate on the coffee table and sat next to Sunset.

Sunset nibbled on a carrot stick. “Kinda... Not really... I dunno... Rarity and I got into it.”

“Oh?”

“She knows.”

“... Oh...”

“She followed me here yesterday. I'm pretty sure she's followed me again.” She tried to look out to the street, “You may get an angry text soon.”

“Oh, darling. Come here.” Cookie pulled Sunset close, cradling the younger's head upon her bosom. She gently stroked Sunset's hair, “I'll talk to her.”

“I don't think she'll listen.”

“You're forgetting: She's my daughter. I'll make her listen.”

“There is one more thing.”

“What?”

Sunset winced, “I may have sarcastically told her something.”

---

Sunset was finishing up her snack when the doorbell rang. She watched as Cookie went to answer the door.

“Rarity!” the older woman exclaimed, “What a surprise! What brings you here?”

“Mother,” Rarity said sternly, “we need to talk.”

“Of course,” her mother said, “Come on in. We can sit down in the living room.”

Sunset's ears perked up. 'What?' she thought, 'No! Not here!'

“Won't you come on in?” Cookie said.

Sunset panicked and quickly jumped over the back of the sofa. There was just enough space between it and the wall for her to hide. Only then, did she realize that she had left her book bag on the other side. She judged how much time she may have. Wiggling slightly, she made her way around the sofa, grabbed her bag and retreated back to her spot just in time for mother and daughter to enter the room.

“On second thought,” Cookie said, “let's talk in the dining room. I just got the carpet in the living room shampooed. Want to keep it as clean as possible.

“Now then,” Cookie said, taking a seat at the diningroom table, “what was it you wanted to talk about?”

“You know exactly what,” Rarity sneered.

Cookie continued to play dumb. “I haven't the foggiest.”

“You're dating one of my best friends? What are you thinking?”

“Oh, that,” Cookie waved, “Well, you never told me you had friends. How could I have known? You never tell me anything.”

Rarity's teeth gritted. “How long?”

“What?”

“How long have you been seeing each other?”

Cookie shrugged, “Couple months.”

“And Dad doesn't know.”

“Like he even cares,” her mother scoffed, “Listen, I'm only telling you this because you're old enough to understand. Your father isn't as faithful as you believe him to be. I would have left him years ago, but to go through with a divorce would not have been good for you or Sweetie Belle. Plus, it's all very messy.”

“So, you just moved out and left us with Dad?”

“I couldn't have you live with me. I travel too much. You're taking this very harshly.”

“Excuse me if I'm having trouble accepting you're bedding one of my friends.”

“Bedding? Oh, so, that's what she meant...”

“What?” For once, Rarity's features softened. Suddenly, she understood the reality. “You're not really screwing Sunset, are you?”

“Do you really want to know?”

“No, not really." She released a long breath as she started to cool down. "Could you, at least, tell me how it happened?”

“It was an accident, really. I'd gone out for a night on the town with some of the girls. Spoiled Rich had signed us up for a wine and paint at one of the local art galleries. Sunset was there volunteering as an assistant and art tutor. Well, long story short, the girls got drunk, we really didn't paint, and I got left behind at the gallery.

“Sunset saw me alone and offered to get me a ride home. I had driven to the gallery, but was in no condition to drive. Well, somehow, Sunset ended up driving my car and, during the ride, we talked. It was late and I didn't want her walking home alone. She was such a dear, so I offered to put her up for the night. The following morning, I drove her back to the art gallery, and it all ended with us in a relationship.”

Rarity fell back into her seat. “I never thought of you as being into girls.”

“I never thought of myself as that adventurous.”

“She's here now, isn't she?”

Cookie nodded, “Hiding in the living room.”

“Just wondering. I didn't see her bike outside.”

“It's in the shop. She dropped it off on her way here.”

Rarity rubbed her temples, “I'm sorry, Mother, but, this is just a lot to take in.”

“The whole thing is a bit unorthodox, I'll admit, ” Cookie shrugged.

“I wouldn't mind if it was anyone but Sunset,” she quickly clarified, “Not her, specifically—”

“... just not someone you already had a relationship with” Cookie finished.

“Exactly! I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that one of my best friends is dating my mother.”

“It's not something you come across every day.”

Rarity released a sigh. “Tomorrow is going to be fun. I mean, I'm happy for the both of you. It's just so weird.”

“Oh, honey,” Cookie hugged her daughter, “We never meant for you to feel that way. If you feel uncomfortable, Sunset and I will keep our activities to a minimum around you. But, please respect the fact that we are together.”

Rarity smiled, “I'll try to get used to it. Eventually.” She returned the hug. “Mom?”

“Yes?”

“Now that we're talking and being open about our relationships, there's something I should probably tell you.”

---

Sunset had moved to the kitchen to start on her homework. It was secluded in the rear of the house and could not be seen from the front door. That way, Rarity could leave the dining room, located at the front of the house, without seeing Sunset.

Cookie and Rarity had been in the dining room for quite a long time. In many ways, Sunset was glad. It gave mother and daughter some much-needed time together and gave Sunset ample time to work without interruption.

Eventually, she heard movement in the house. She listened as the noises moved from the dining room to the front door.

“Sunset?” Rarity's voice called out, “I'm not angry. I'll see you tomorrow.”

Sunset let out a sigh as she heard the front door close. A little while later, Cookie walked into the kitchen.

“Figured you'd move in here. How's the homework coming?”

“Almost done” Sunset smiled as Cookie took a seat at the table, Just a few problems left.”

“I love to watch you work. This all comes so easily to you.”

Sunset shrugged, trying to remain humble, “It comes with the way I was raised. I've been doing equations since I was little. It's almost second nature at this point.”

Cookie watched silently as Sunset worked out her calculus problems.

“Sunset,”

“Hm?”

“You told Rarity we were having sex.”

Sunset hung her head. “I didn't know what I was saying. It's her own fault. She backed me into a corner and wasn't relenting. When she made that accusation... Well, that's when I just told her what she wanted to hear. I know, I should have just kept my mouth shut. I know it upset Rarity, and, if it's caused any trouble between you two, I'm sorry.”

Cookie smiled as she took Sunset's hand. “Do you?”

“What?”

“Do you want to do it?” She started gently rubbing Sunset's hand.

“Well... Ah... I would be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind from time to time,” She took in a deep breath as Cookie's movements became more poignant. “It's certainly not an option off the table.”

“How about on the table?”

A blush came to Sunset's cheeks with a sudden rise in her heart rate, “I'd hate to have to think of the cleanup after.”

Cookie moved closer, “Cleanup should be the least of your concerns.”

“Mrs. Crumbles, if I didn't know any better, I would say you were trying to seduce me.”

Cookie scooted her chair closer till she was seated next to Sunset. She gently reached up and cupped the young cheek. “Don't tell me it's not something you don't want” she said, slowly bringing Sunset's face closer to hers, “I can almost feel your desires radiating from your body.”

Sunset let out a small meep as their lips met.