• Published 2nd Nov 2020
  • 3,617 Views, 191 Comments

What A Long Strange Trip - milesprower06



The new school year quickly approaches, and for the senior class of Canterlot High, that means friends, futures, and fateful choices.

  • ...
4
 191
 3,617

Big News

Sunset was in school 45 minutes early the next morning, as Tuesday and Thursday mornings were quick practice sessions for the Rainbooms. She wasn't sure how much practice they were going to get today, because after sleeping on it, she decided that the best way to break the news about the portal was to just tell them, and once she did, and made clear the choice that she had ahead, she wasn't sure there was going to be a lot of time for playing.

Applejack was the first one in, along with Pinkie Pie who had hitched a ride along this morning.

"Mornin' Sunset. Didn't think you'd be the first one in," Applejack greeted, setting down the case her bass guitar was in.

"I got an early start. Bit of a restless night," Sunset replied.

"Got something on your mind?" Pinkie asked as she sat down at the drumset, spinning around several times in succession to adjust the chair's height; every other drummer Sunset knew did this before they sat down in it.

"You could say that, I've got some pretty big news, and I'd prefer to wait until everyone is here."

The two other Rainbooms knew that whatever was on Sunset's mind had to be pretty significant, because she hadn't opened the guitar case that she had come in with.

But they knew the bus schedule by heart, and five minutes later, Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow came in, with Fluttershy two minutes later.

"Well, that makes six. So come on, Sunset. Spill the beans. What's going on?" Applejack asked her again, bringing all attention to the Rainboom's rhythm guitarist.

"Principal Celestia called me to her office after class yesterday. She told me that if things stay as quiet as they are, that... They're planning on sealing up the portal after this school year." Sunset told them.

No one said anything for a few moments.

"Well... That's good, right? I mean, it's been pretty quiet here so far, and what we have had to deal with hasn't been involved with the school at all; it's been in the middle of the ocean and at music festivals nearly an entire county away," Fluttershy said.

"Well... I know that without us here, leaving the portal as it is would be somewhat irresponsible on the administration's part... But it's also my only surefire way home."

Now the penny dropped for the rest of the group.

"So the last opportunity for a guaranteed way home for you, is after we graduate," Twilight spoke for everyone who was thinking it.

Sunset nodded.

No one said anything further for over a minute, letting the silence hang over the practice room.

"So... Are you going home?" Rainbow Dash finally spoke up as she started to dig her guitar out of the case.

"I haven't even gotten anywhere close to making a decision yet. And if I dwell on it every single day, this will be one distracted and miserable school year. I just wanted to get it out there and let you all know."

"Well, Sugarcube, we know how homesick you've been every now and then, especially when it became obvious that you weren't the only cause of magic coming over here to this side. So, if you just wanted to let us know of this impending choice you need to make, then..." Applejack paused, wanting to say this the right way. "We just need to let you know, that we wouldn't hold whatever choice you make against you."

Sunset got six nods in return, a bit varied in their confidence, but five nonetheless.

"Well, if you don't want to dwell on it now, then let's get to playing!" Rainbow encouraged as best she could.

Sunset gave her a smile, and finally unbuckled her guitar case, and took out her instrument.

"You're right, let's jam, girls!"