• Published 2nd Nov 2020
  • 3,617 Views, 191 Comments

What A Long Strange Trip - milesprower06



The new school year quickly approaches, and for the senior class of Canterlot High, that means friends, futures, and fateful choices.

  • ...
4
 191
 3,617

We'll Always Be Wondercolts Forever

It was still so surreal to Sunset that the day had finally come. Here she stood, in her graduation gown, at the end of a very long line of senior students who were patiently waiting their turn to cross that stage and receive their diploma. In just a little bit, it would be done. She would be back home in Equestria; a place she longed to escape from, then conquer, then long for. Now she wondered how long it would take for her to think of it as home again, and how long it would be before she longed for this place again.

It's not like she wouldn't have anything to show for it. The belongings she had elected to take with her were currently waiting by the main entrance of the school, being watched over by underclassmen volunteers. A backpack, a suitcase, her guitar case, and Ray were all waiting to take the trip along with her. Everything else had been either given to her friends, or donated. She had turned in her apartment keys to her landlord and officially cancelled her phone service. She had already written to Princess Twilight to expect her at some point later tonight, and the Princess had assured her that everypony was looking forward to seeing her. The night might be running a bit long, as it sounded like Princess Twilight was planning something of a welcome home party for her.

"Hey, you okay?" Twilight asked her, as they moved up another two feet of the queue. "You look a little out of it."

"Yeah. Just getting jitters, and, well... Part of me has been dreading this night all year. I don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye to you all," Sunset admitted, turning to her friend.

"Live in the moment, darling. If you spend all evening dreading it, you'll miss out on what really matters," Rarity told her, who was standing on her other side.

Rarity did have a point. If she spent the rest of the evening dreading going home, she'd miss these last precious moments with all of her friends.

"Wallflower Blush," they heard Vice Principal Luna call from up at the microphone. The green-haired girl ahead of them walked up the stairs to the stage, strolled across it, and took her diploma from Principal Celestia.

"Now, reaching the end of this alphabetical list would normally be the end of these ceremonies," Luna began. "However, we decided to do something special for a part of our graduating class this year. You've all become familiar with these girls, what they have done for this school, and we couldn't imagine a better way for them to end their journey here at Canterlot High than to bring them up on stage together. So, congratulations to Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Sunset Shimmer, and Twilight Sparkle."

As the seven of them filed up the stairs, the cheers grew to the loudest they had been all evening. They came up and stood next to the podium, holding hands down the line until Celestia came up with the stack of leather-bound diplomas, handing each of them to their respective student. Nearly all of them had to fight back tears as their graduating classmates cheered for them in the filled seats below.

Being up here together just felt right. There really was no better way to end it. Sunset wasn't sure how long the applause went on for, thirty seconds, maybe a minute, but Twilight and Applejack got it in their heads to bring it to a close by getting each of them to lock hands again, and together they all took a bow, before making their way down to the other end of the stage.

"And with that, please make your way to the exits in an orderly fashion, and enjoy the rest of your evening," Vice Principal Luna announced from the podium. Avoiding the rush of students and parents, the seven friends stayed back as the crowd began to empty out of the auditorium and thin out a bit.

It's not like she was in any kind of hurry.

"So, do you like, start your wizard thing tomorrow morning?" Twilight asked as they made their way down the hall towards the main entrance.

"I certainly hope not," Sunset answered. "I need some kind of vacation too, even if it is in another dimension."

The walk wasn't as long as she would have liked, but when they came to the main entrance, with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo watching her things, Sunset noticed that the celebration wasn't quite over yet. The underclassmen helped carry her belongings out to the statue. Next to the walk on the grass, some of their closer friends waited by a refreshments table, where a barrel of the Apple Family Cider had been set up, next to Wallflower and Flash

The marble 'sarcophagus' around the portal had nearly been completed. The statue mascot had been replaced, and the layer of stone around the sides was done, save for the front, where the actual portal was, currently shimmering. The underclassmen put Sunset's belongings next to the portal, and then went over to get cider. Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna also made their way out of the main entrance. Celestia was carrying a small latched chest, which she set on the refreshments table where there was spare room.

"While you guys enjoy some last drinks together, I thought I'd reveal a surprise of my own. First of all, Sunset, the yearbook team has been doing a little something behind your back these past few months, and they wanted to wait until tonight to give it to you," Celestia told her, unlatching the chest, and waving Wallflower over. Wallflower looked into the chest to confirm, and pulled out a book, turned to Sunset, and presented her with it. Sunset took it, and gazed down at it.

It was a leather-bound yearbook, with a golden version of her cutie mark etched front and center on the front cover. She opened the cover, and on the inside, was the print:

Presented To
Sunset Shimmer

For her service to and journey at
Canterlot High School

"We've gone through the past four years of photos, and have crafted something that we hope you'll treasure for the rest of your days," Wallflower told her with a smile.

Sunset smiled back with teary eyes, and embraced Wallflower, holding the yearbook to her chest.

"Secondly," Celestia continued as the two women parted from the embrace. "Sunset, you're not the only one who has figured out a way to communicate with the other side. In a brief correspondence with Princess Twilight Sparkle, we both agreed that you should absolutely have a way to keep in touch with your friends over here. So for each of you, we've got three blank enchanted journals for you to write to Sunset on an interdimensional scale, compliments of Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria," Celestia said as she began to stack the blank books on the table next to the chest.

This got Sunset's waterworks going. The fact that she was going to be able to keep in touch with everyone, including Flash and Wallflower, washed over her in a wave of relief. This wasn't goodbye in every single sense. She walked over to her backpack by the portal, and tucked the yearbook into the back pocket, sniffling and wiping her eyes as she got to her feet and walked over to the table, where she poured herself a cup of cider.

Flash came up next to her, his cup half empty.

"Good to know that we'll all be able to keep in touch with you when you cross back over," he said, offering his mug up for a toast.

"You have absolutely no idea," Sunset said, clinking her cup to his, still getting her tears under control. "And for what it's worth, Flash..." she paused, taking a gulp of cider. "I have never forgotten the strides you helped me make when I was first turning things around. Part of me wishes that things could have been different between us," she admitted, her cheeks tinting slightly.

"Honestly, same here," Flash admitted, "but long distance relationships aren't really my thing, and I don't know if I could adapt to that... Form, over there," he said, remembering his brief moments as a winged equine pegasus as their class made the shortcut through Equestria to the portal in front of the school.

By now, Applejack and the others had come to the table and also got their cups full of fizzy cider.

"Well, gang, here's to our pasts, our presents, and our futures. What a long strange trip it has been," Applejack said, raising her glass.

"Blegh, that is the most cliched yearbook quote ever. Of all time," Rainbow complained playfully as they all joined their cups in a toast.

"To Sunset Shimmer, may her future in Equestria be as bright and interesting as she made the last four years for us," Rainbow said.

"Much better," Pinkie chimed in, already on her second glass.

"I can't wait to tell you all about it, but I won't try to go nuts; there's not unlimited room in those books, and I don't know when we'll get a chance to resupply you. I figure three each is good for at least a year, longer if I keep it to only the most significant stuff," Sunset told them.

"We'll try to do the same, but I don't think it's going to be too long before we start to miss you terribly," Fluttershy replied.

Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna came up to the group.

"Principal Celestia, I don't know how to thank you. Being able to keep in touch with them after tonight is going to make this so much less painful than I was afraid of," Sunset told the headmaster.

Celestia gave her a respectful nod.

"It was the least I could do, Sunset. The seven of you have helped this school navigate situations we would have been otherwise quite ill-prepared for. You've protected CHS and my students, and for that, we thank you, and hope you have an exciting and prosperous future ahead of you. The sun may be setting for you over here, but I'd wager it is only beginning to rise in Equestria."

Sunset smiled back, and finished off what was remaining in her cup, before setting it on the table.

"Well I don't think there's going to be any smooth way to go about this..." Sunset said. With that, she pulled Twilight into a hug, and squeezed, shuddering as the other five came around and formed a group hug, as the headmasters, Flash, Wallflower, and the underclassmen looked on, smiling.

"Goodbye, Sunset, and good luck," Twilight said, her shoulders beginning to heave, as the others also whispered their goodbyes all around her.

Sunset parted from the embrace, and they let her out of the center. She slowly stepped towards the portal, and began to pick up her things. First her backpack, then her suitcase, then her guitar case, and finally, she unlatched Ray's carrying case, and let him crawl onto her hand.

"Ready for the journey of a lifetime, little guy?" she asked him.

The gecko crawled up her arm up to her shoulder, where he stood and waited.

"Thank you for everything, everyone."

Tears running down her face, she stepped towards the portal, raised her hand up to it, and reached through...

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank this story's faithful readers for coming on this journey with me so far.

Just a heads up, the next update might be a bit longer in the making.

It is my intent to do two endings to this story, one definitive, and one not-so-definitive, and I would prefer to post them at the exact same time. So it will take a little longer to write, and that's when this story comes back up in the rotation, as I've been cycling updates with my latest stories as best I can.

Thanks again, everyone. Here's to you, Sunset Shimmer.