• Published 2nd Nov 2020
  • 3,623 Views, 191 Comments

What A Long Strange Trip - milesprower06



The new school year quickly approaches, and for the senior class of Canterlot High, that means friends, futures, and fateful choices.

  • ...
4
 191
 3,623

Bloom

Sunset walked towards CHS's library, backpack slung over her shoulder. Students filed down the corridor in both directions, as they either headed out to the practice fields, to other extracurricular activities, or to the buses to head home for the two-week Winter Break, which had started with the final bell five minutes ago. She didn't have any major plans beyond Pinkie's annual Hearth's Warming party next week, and while she was very much looking forward to that, today, she had something different on her agenda.

Whether it was the start of break or not, she was betting the person she was after was hard at work in the library, as she started to prepare for next year's projects.

Stepping into the library, she found it nearly empty, as final exams were yesterday and no long-term assignments would be handed out until after break. But sure enough, following the sounds of muffled keyboard clacking, she opened the door to the computer lab and found Wallflower Blush tapping away at the keys.

"Hey there, Wallflower. Looking forward to break?" She asked, leaning against the door frame.

"Honestly, looking forward to spring more. Just wanted to get some seed orders in before I headed out to the bus," Wallflower replied, greeting her friend.

"Well, I could give you a ride home, and I was wondering if you're up for a little shopping," Sunset told her.

"Shopping?"

"Yeah, consider it an early Hearth's Warming present. Come on. Shopping and dinner are on me," Sunset offered.

Wallflower smiled. Not willing to turn down an offer like that, she finalized her seed order, and shut down the computer, pushing the keyboard tray back under the desk, and pushed her chair back at the same time, giving her room to get up.

"Can't exactly say no to that, now can I?"

"Well, you certainly can if you've got plans, I don't want to intrude or anything," Sunset told her.

Wallflower shook her head.

"No plans for the evening, or tomorrow morning for that matter. Just garden planning for spring, really, and that can be come anytime."

"In that case, let's paint Canterlot red!" Sunset exclaimed.

Wallflower grabbed her jacket and hat from the back of the chair, and followed her friend out of the library. Going out into the light snowfall, they carefully walked through the student parking lot, coming over to where Rarity was waiting in her car.

"Girls night out?" Wallflower asked, as Sunset opened the passenger side door and pulled the front seat forward to allow her to get inside.

"Trust me, we're going to need her help," Sunset told her as Wallflower climbed into the back seat, and buckled up as the seat was returned to its upright position, and Sunset climbed in, doing the same. As soon as the door was closed and Rarity confirmed that both of them were buckled, she put her car into reverse and backed out of her space.

Wallflower removed her hat as the car's heater began to warm her up from the short walk across the lot. Within the next two minutes, they were out of the Canterlot High's lot proper, and on the highway towards downtown Canterlot.

If Sunset had a surprise in mind, Wallflower figured it wouldn't be any use asking questions about where they were going, and was content to sit here and warm up as they made their way into town. It was a short, ten minute drive until they parallel parked outside a small, ritzy-looking boutique on the corner of the main market square. They filed in through the single front door, where they hung up their coats and scarves on a polished oak coat rack.

Immediately, Wallflower felt very out of her element.

"Um, Sunset... This all looks very expensive, I don't want you to spend—"

"Nonsense, darling," Rarity interrupted. "It's the middle of winter, and I know the owner. We'll be paying a fraction of what we would if we waited until Spring, and Sunset was quite adamant."

Wallflower turned to Sunset, and raised her eyebrow.

"I thought I could help you get ready for the Spring Fling a little early. Rarity told me that these winter clearance sales are pretty much unbeatable," Sunset told her.

"You want to compete again?" Wallflower asked her.

"No. I want to help you win, if you want to. Walking home from the Fall Formal with that crown... Felt pretty empty. My initial reservations were right. It was a popularity contest that I no longer wanted. Even if it was a good measure of how far I've come... It wasn't worth competing against you for."

Wallflower wasn't sure what to say to that, other than "It was good fun, Sunset. I don't want you to feel bad for beating me."

"Well, I do want to help you for next Spring's dance. It's when flowers bloom and show their colors. So what do you say?" Sunset asked.

Wallflower began to look around at what she could see from the boutique's entryway.

"Well, I guess I'll leave it up to the expert here," Wallflower said, motioning to Rarity. "My favorite color is blue."