• Published 2nd Nov 2020
  • 3,623 Views, 191 Comments

What A Long Strange Trip - milesprower06



The new school year quickly approaches, and for the senior class of Canterlot High, that means friends, futures, and fateful choices.

  • ...
4
 191
 3,623

In Her Shoes

Sunset ran the cool washcloth over her face a final time, getting the last of the smeared dirt off of her face, before wringing it out and tossing it in the laundry hamper. Going out into the main room again of her top floor flat, she found Canterlot High's newest transfer, Twilight Sparkle, sitting on her couch, watching her television, which currently had a news blurb about the light show tonight that their battle had caused, and had undoubtedly been seen from the city.

The girl was in a pair of purple pajamas that Sunset had lent her, after tossing her school uniform into the washer downstairs, and letting her grab a shower. Her dog Spike was curled up on her lap, relaxing.

"Try not to worry about it too much, Twilight. It'll blow over."

Twilight turned to her, her glasses slipping down the bridge of her nose, before she pushed them back up. Sunset saw the look of distress on her face, and was reminded of how she felt the night of the Fall Formal. It was honestly the main reason she had invited her to an impromptu sleepover. She didn't want Twilight to repeat the sickening feeling of loneliness that she had felt in the days afterward.

"I wish I could believe that." Twilight said, rubbing her stomach to try and stave off the mild nausea. Sunset saw her discomfort and went over to the fridge and pulled out a pair of lemon lime soda cans from the bottom shelf, coming back over to the couch, and sat down on the other side, handing one to her.

"Here. If that doesn't help your stomach any, I've got some antacids in the bathroom." Sunset said, popping the cap on hers and immediately took a sip. "I don't know if there are bigger things in the city, or if Celestia and Luna pull some impressive strings to keep the media away from the school and the students, but seriously, it'll be alright." She tried again to reassure her.

"You don't know that. You told me on the walk here how the magic from your transformation led some sirens or something here. What if something else came here because of what I did? I only ripped like half a dozen interdimensional holes open." Twilight said, wrapping her hair around a finger, one of her nervous habits.

"Twilight, I get it. You messed up. So did I. But I wanted you to come over here so I could get the point across that you won't be alone through this. I was awful my first year here, and I still made five of the most amazing friends I have ever known. We're going to help you through anything magical that you think you need help with."

Those words appeared to finally get through to Twilight, and she physically loosened up from her curled position on the couch, as she popped open the tab on her soda and likewise took a sip. Sunset grabbed the remote on the coffee table and switched the channel to the input, before grabbing the two game controllers that had been sitting next to it, pressing and holding the center button on one of them, turning on the game console that sat below the screen.

"You much of a gamer?" She asked as she offered the second wireless controller to her after turning it on.

"Not since I was a little kid, but how hard can it be?" Twilight asked as she quickly got a feel for the twin-stick gamepad.

"I think I have one that's right up your alley. It's called Portal 2."

After the loading splash screens, Sunset selected the co-op mode. This would be a first for her too, having only played the single-player campaign...


The two girls were very fortunate that there was no school tomorrow, because they were halfway through the campaign bu the time Sunset offered to order pizza for the two of them, and promptly called up one of the city's pizzerias that had late-night hours. Thirty minutes later, they had a large supreme veggie pizza on the coffee table between them, and two more cans of soda.

As the final puzzle was solved, Twilight set her controller down, and let out another laugh, the latest of many over the past two hours, before letting out a yawn.

"You're right, that was right up my alley. I loved how she tried to cover up the security code by yelling 'blah blah blah'!"

"Yeah, this took a bunch of awards when it came out a couple years ago. I'm wondering if I should start livestreaming in my spare time."

Twilight looked over at the clock on the wall and saw that it was well past midnight.

"Wow, I seriously just played a game for two hours. I usually only lose myself in class projects," Twilight admitted, before turning back to look her new friend in the eyes. "Thanks Sunset, for this. It really took my mind off of everything for awhile, and now I'm ready for hopefully a good night's sleep."

Sunset smiled back at her, taking the controllers, getting up, and placed them on the charging station next to the console.

"Yeah, it's certainly a fantastic way to unwind after stressful days, that's for sure. I'll take a look at what else I have, or if you want, I'm certainly up to watching you play through the solo campaign tomorrow. If you thought the co-op dialogue was a hoot, you are in for quite the surprise. I'm actually kinda curious about how quickly you can make it through it; you picked that up pretty quickly." Sunset admitted.

"Well, what can I say? You were right, this was right up my alley. I loved the absolutely hilarious approach to science."

"Well, then it's settled. You can play through the campaign tomorrow while we finish off what's left of this pizza." Sunset said, as she shut the TV off and went over to the small linen closet, pulling out a pillow and blanket, bringing them back over to the couch and setting them down next to Twilight.

"I'll set my alarm for 9 in the morning, I'll be just up there if you need me," Sunset said, nodding up to the loft where her bed and nightstand were. "Have a good night, and I'll see you in the morning."

Twilight got up an gave her new friend a hug, before turning to the couch and spreading out the blanket, and getting the pillow fluffed on one arm of the couch before laying down. She was settled by the time Sunset had climbed up to the loft, laid down in her own bed, and shut off the light, leaving the moonlight entering the window as the only illumination in the flat.