• Published 9th Aug 2019
  • 1,808 Views, 23 Comments

The Moon's Knight (or Luna's Lunatic) - RustDust



Marc Spector is Moon Knight. Protector of travelers of night and the avatar of the Egyptian god Khonshu. Khonshu lends him to Luna.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,808

4 - Checkup

Checkup

It wasn’t long before they had arrived at the library, which again surprised Marc as it was all within an enormous tree. It reminded Marc of the Tree of Tule in terms of width and height, though their exact measurements he couldn’t be sure of.

“So, your friend lives here? Twilight Sparkle, you said?” Marc asked for clarification as they approached the tree-library.

“Yes, and she’s the smartest pony you’ll meet. If anypony could figure out what’s wrong with you and how you got here, it’s her,” Rarity said assuredly.

Marc doubted she’d find anything wrong with his memory considering he’s lying about not remembering. It was possible she’d diagnose him as insane, but he didn’t need a talking pony to tell him that. No, the point of coming here was to gather information from a reliable source. After that… he wasn’t sure. If he were being honest with himself, he’s been winging it and going with the flow since he got here. Depending on what answers he got from this supposed smart pony, he would either carry out his mission, resign himself to forever be stuck in crazy ponyland, or kill himself in hopes of ending the insanity.

“Do we knock because she lives here, or just walk in because it’s a library?” Marc asked as he stopped in front of the small doorway.

“It’s fine to just walk in since the library should still be open. She would lock the door if it wasn’t,” Rarity said as she opened the door with her telekinesis.

Marc still had to duck to get through the door, but he felt the inside seemed bigger than it appeared from outside. Though he also felt it could’ve been the furnishings that gave it a sense of openness. Shelves were carved out of the sides of the trunk of the giant tree which were filled with were filled with books ranging from small pamphlets to gargantuan tomes with the occasional scroll interspersed throughout. Where there wasn’t a shelve, there would rather be some ornate design painted on the wall, some of which depicted ponies or books or ponies reading those books. Stairs leading upwards were off to the side. There were a few tables made from more reasonably sized tree trunks that appeared to be have been grown out of the ground but must’ve been brought in later as the size indicated that they would grow through the ceiling. Lamps lit by means unknown to Marc were scattered on said tables and walls, giving the room a warm and cozy feel as opposed to the dank and dreariness that Marc was used to from what libraries he had been inside in the past. The welcoming atmosphere was certainly a departure from Marc’s own home.

“Twilight! Are you home?” Rarity called out with little regard for her being in a library. It was empty though, so what did it matter, Marc thought to himself.

“Rarity? Is that you?” a childlike voice called back from upstairs. It sounded as though it belonged to a young boy.

“Is that Twilight?” Marc asked Rarity.

“No no, that’s her assistant and charge, Spike. He’s the most adorable little dragon you’ll meet."

“Spike? Wait, dragon?”

Sure enough, a little purple and green dragon carrying a stack of books stumped his way carefully down the stairs.

“We weren’t expecting to see you today Rarity, if I had known I would’ve freshened up a little,” Spike said as he placed the books on a nearby table. “So, to what do I owe the pl-wuAGH!” Spike went as he spotted Marc, immediately ducking behind the stack of books he just placed. “Rarity, behind you!” he whisper-shouted.

Rarity made an unamused face at Spike’s display.

“Oh, stop being such a drama queen, Spike,” Rarity said, dismissively. “This is my new friend, Mark Specter. We came by to ask Twilight for her expertise.”

The young dragon shuffled meekly from behind the book stack. Marc, in turn, crouched down with his hand outstretched and made a disarming smile. It seemed to work as Spike cautiously approached with his own claws ready to shake hands.

“Hi Spike. Like Rarity said, I’m Marc. Pleased to meet you,” Marc said. He’d always had a soft spot for children. Rarely were they yet to be corrupted with the vices that came with adulthood.

Spike shook his hand with an uneasy look, but it quickly shifted to one of indignation.

“I wasn’t scared!” Spike said, retracting his hand. “I was just… worried about Rarity! How do you know her anyway?”

“She found me beaten up and patched me together. I’m staying at her place for now,” Marc said.

“Y-you’re staying at her place?” Spike asked worriedly.

“Just for now. Is there a problem with that?” Marc asked with a raise of the brow.

“N-no, just… I want no funny business, you hear? Or you gotta answer to me!” Spike said as threateningly as he could muster.

Marc made an amused smile at the realization. He could see what the little drake’s deal was.

“Cute.”

“What? Hey, I’m not… not cute! I’m a tough as nails dragon!” Spike said, puffing up his chest to appear as imposing as possible. The intended effect couldn’t have missed farther.

Rarity seemed pleased with how their introduction was going judging by her smile.

“So, Spike, where is our bookish friend?” Rarity asked, causing Spike to stop his mock staring-battle with Marc to face her.

“She’s upstairs doing some research. I can call her down if you’d like?” Spike said, already headed in that direction.

“That would be grand, Spike, thank you,” Rarity said with a nod.

After that, Spike dashed up the stairs looking for Twilight with Rarity and Marc watching him trot up the stairs, nearly tripping over a stair once in his enthusiasm to please.

“…So, dragons huh?” Marc simply said.

“Oh yes, sorry I forgot to tell you about him. Twilight’s been taking care of him for the longest time now, longer than anyone in Ponyville has known her,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof.

Their attention was taken by the clopping of hooves on wood as Twilight made her way down the stairs, head pressed into a scroll, with Spike trailing behind her.

“Hi Rarity. Sorry, I’ve been kinda busy with this new assignment Princess Celestia has given me. Now, what was it you wante-aAH!” she went as she lifted her eyes from the scroll to Marc.

Rarity facehoofed while Spike snickered behind her. Marc tried his gentle approach once more. This would be a record amount of pleasant introductions in a single day for him.

“You must be Twilight. I’m Marc Spector. A pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he said as he reached a hand out.

“Um, hi… Sorry for overreacting just now, it’s just, I’ve never seen a creature like you before,” Twilight replied sheepishly as she took Marc’s hand in her hoof, cautiously studying his features.

“It’s no trouble. I seem to have that effect,” he said affably. Not just here, even. As Moon Knight, Marc struck fear into the hearts of many nighttime thugs. While not as unsparing as say, the Punisher, his air of mystery and sadistic streak made him more feared among those who knew of him.

Even without knowing his history, Twilight had some suspicions about her guest.

“Rarity, how do you know this…” Twilight trailed off as she looked to her white-coated friend.

“Human,” Marc helped.

“...Right. Rarity?”

“I met Mark within my boutique yesterday,” Rarity plainly stated. “He was badly hurt, and his clothes were in tatters when I found him. I just had to patch him up and give him shelter. We’re still in discussion on recreating his attire, though. We actually came by for you to have a quick look at him. Apparently he lost his memory. I don’t have as much medical knowledge as you, and you were closer than the hospital, so here we are.”

“Amnesia?" Twilight said as she cast an uncertain glance towards Mark. She clearly wasn't buying it but didn't call Marc's bluff.

"Huh, well I don’t know much about ‘humans’ but I can have a look at his vitals to see any concussive damage that might’ve caused it, and if he was attacked perhaps some spell was placed on him, I'll go and get the tools I'll need. Rarity, could you come with me to help me look?" Twilight looked at Rarity with a smile belying her nervousness as she made her way towards the stairs.

"I'd be happy to help Twilight," Rarity said as she followed suit. She didn't seem to catch the plea in her astute friend's eyes. "Spike can keep Mark company for a moment."

Twilight slowed as her eyes quickly looked from Spike to Marc and back as if silently debating with herself. Marc figured she was hesitant to leave Spike alone with him. He couldn't blame her. She was quick to reapply her friendly and unsuspicious facade when she caught Marc observing her as well, albeit with a better-practiced look of innocuousness. She may be shrewd, but her poker face needed work.

"That's... fine. Yes. We'll just be a moment," Twilight resumed as she now followed closely behind Rarity up the stairs.

It wasn't lost on Marc that she undoubtedly wanted to discuss with Rarity about the mysterious creature with mysterious wounds and mysterious past that she brought into her home. Still, she wouldn't have left Spike with him if she thought he'd do anything terrible. Yet, at least.

Marc tried listening from where he stood, but his focus was interrupted by a precocious little dragon clearing his throat behind him.

"I meant it when I said don't mess with Rarity."

Marc turned to face the lovestruck kid with a sigh. "You really like her that much, huh? Enough to stand up to the big bad human?"

"Yeah, I- wait, I didn't- I mean... She's just a friend, I don't-" Spike started blubbering before Marc stopped him.

"Hey. Don't worry about me, all right? I have no intention to steal your girl."

The embarrassment on Spike's face lingered a moment before dropping with a slump and a sigh. "...Sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out at you." Spike then sits on the wooden floor with his head in his claws with a distant look in his eyes. "Even if you did like her, it's Rarity's choice who she wants to be with."

Marc sat crosslegged across from the sulking dragon. "That's a very grown-up way of thinking."

A new light flickers in Spike's eyes as he raises his head. "But I'm still gonna keep trying to win her over!"

Marc just smirked. "I figured. So tell me about Twilight. You're living with her after all."

Spike gave Marc a funny look. "Ohh, so you like Twilight huh?"

Marc raised an eyebrow. "Would it be a problem if I did?"

"If you try anything funny-"

"Alright, I get it. But really, what are you doing living with her? Is she your mom?"

"What? No! I mean, she did hatch me, but she's not my mom... It's a long story. Officially, she's my charge. She takes care of me and I help her out with whatever she needs doing."

"Like what?"

"Y'know, stuff like cooking her meals, cleaning the library, organizing the books, carrying things when she's traveling, writing letters for her, uhh..." Spiked listed as he counted on his claws.

"Sounds like slavery," Marc wryly stated. He immediately regretted opening his mouth seeing Spike's eyes shoot wide with anger beyond what he showed when talking about Rarity.

"What!? A slave!?" Spike shot to his tiny feet. It didn't add much to his height at all, but Marc was still on guard as Spike stomped over to Marc as he was still a dragon.

"Twilight would never treat me like that! Twilight's nice! She gives me gems to eat all the time! She lets me sleep in her bed whenever I get nightmares! She never lets anypony say any bad things about me! She doesn't treat me like a monster or a pet! She cares about me!"

Spike was up in Marc's face by now, almost touching noses, and Marc could smell the sulfur coming from Spike's nostrils and between his clenched fangs.

"I'm sorry," Marc said calmly. He could see tears forming in the dragon's eyes. Spike just sniffed in response trying to keep his composure.

"I'm truly sorry. That was a terrible joke I just made. I didn't know you had it so rough, and I didn't know how Twilight made it so much better. Twilight does love you. I see that now."

Spike's composure cracked before he turned to wipe his eyes. Marc placed his hand on the little dragon's head. Spike didn't stop him.

"You really love Twilight, don't you?"

"Mmhmph."

It was now that Marc's sadistic streak decided to act up. " Are you sure you don't have a crush on Twilight instead?"

"S-Shut up, no!" Spike went, lightly batting Marc's hand away.

"You sure?"

"Eew, no, she's like a sister to me! We're family."

"Family, huh." Mark simply said. "Here, make yourself presentable before they come back," Marc said while holding out part of his cloak.

Twilight and Rarity returned down the stairs with the former leading faster with a floating white box surrounded by a purple aura. Twilight in a bit of a frenzy nearly called out Spike's name before spotting him and Marc sitting across from each other.

"Hey Twilight, you got what you were looking for?" Spike asked innocently.

"Um, yeah, we got the stuff. Sorry, it took some looking to find everything."

It was a little awkward for Marc to sit down as there were no chairs. The movement caused Marc’s cloak to shift, giving Twilight a clear view of his body. She visibly winced from the sight of the sheer number of bandaged scars and gashes decorating his body; many were clearly old. If she got a sense of danger coming from Marc before, this further cemented it.

“Don’t these hurt?” she asked concerned.

“Eh,” was Marc’s response along with a shrug.

After properly disinfecting his wounds and redressing them, she ran a few magical tests to scan for any abnormalities.

“…I’m sensing some strange aura from you, but how it would affect your memory I can’t tell,” Twilight said with a flicker of her horn.

Marc figured that might’ve been some residual energy from Khonshu, or perhaps even his own life force. In the past, he recalls calling upon the Moon for power, but that could’ve been his own body being tricked into performing beyond its limits by his warped mind.

“Other than that, I recommend you do go to the hospital. I don’t know much about your kind, but those kinds of wounds would put any other creature in substantial pain,” Twilight said as she dispelled her doctor’s tools.

“Thanks doc, and I’ll think about it,” Marc said flatly. He had no intention of ever going to another hospital as a patient again after his last visit to one.

“So, was there anything else you needed from me?” she asked. Before Marc could answer they were interrupted by a slight gasp from Rarity.

“By Celestia’s Moon, I can’t believe it’s night already,” said Rarity, looking out the window. “Or… would it be Luna’s Moon now, Twilight?” she asked, turning to her friend.

“…Whose Moon?” Marc said, sitting up, his attention peaked.

“Well, last I heard, Princess Celestia was still controlling the Moon. She feels it’s still too soon for Princess Luna to be raising and lowering it all by herself yet. Especially when we still aren’t sure if what caused her to become Nightmare Moon came from the Moon itself in the first place.”

“Hold on a second, who’s Nightmare Moon? What’s this about ‘whose’ Moon? You’re saying one of you can control the Moon here?”

“Why, yes Mark, I assumed you already knew that?” Rarity said, tilting her head.

“The Sun and Moon are raised and lowered by Princess Celestia, though the Moon used to be governed by her younger sister, Princess Luna. After Luna became jealous of Princess Celestia, Princess Luna became the dark and twisted creature known as Nightmare Moon and nearly plunged Equestria into eternal darkness. To stop her, Princess Celestia used powerful artifacts known as the Elements of Harmony to imprison Nightmare Moon within the Moon. That was about a thousand years ago.”

“But didn’t Rarity ask if it was Luna’s Moon a second ago?” asked Marc, confused.

“She was getting to that part, dude,” Spike whispered from behind Marc.

“This past year Nightmare Moon returned and was about to do what she set out for a thousand years ago, but I, Rarity, and a few other friends managed to stop her and return her to normal,” Twilight said, getting everyone besides Marc in the room to smile.

“Huh. I didn’t realize I was in the presence of national heroes,” Marc said.

That statement got a blush from Twilight and Rarity.

“Heh, I’ll admit we haven’t been called heroes of Equestria all that often,” Twilight demurely said while rubbing her cannon with her hoof.”

“So, Luna is basically being kept under house arrest until her sister can trust her again,” Marc said, turning Twilight’s bashful look slightly sour.

“Well, you didn’t have to put it so bluntly…” Twilight muttered.

“Mark, was there anything else you wanted to know?” Rarity asked.

“No… I think I’ve heard enough for now. I’ll come back later if I come up with anything, though.”

“We best be getting back to the boutique. I still need to figure out Mark’s sleeping arrangements. Oh, perhaps we’ll still have time for me to design you some nightclothes!” Rarity excitedly said as she and Marc walked towards the door.

Their business finished, Marc and Rarity said their goodbyes to Spike and Twilight and set off for Carousel Boutique.

“Wait, was it really a good idea to let them go?” Spike realized after shutting the door.

“What do you mean?” asked Twilight.

“Haven’t you heard about all the dangerous stuff happening at night in the cities lately? Maybe we should’ve let Rarity spend the night… Oh, and Mark too, I guess,” Spike quietly added.

“Oh come on Spike, this is Ponyville. There’s no way anypony around here would do anything bad. Now come with me, I need your help writing a letter to the Princess,” Twilight said as she used her magic to shut off the lights then headed upstairs.

The figure hiding beneath the window would disagree with her.