• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 5,808 Views, 470 Comments

Faux Pas of the Heart - Jet Howitzer



You've been trading letters with a certain fashion pony, and you'll finally get to meet her.

  • ...
16
 470
 5,808

Chapter VII: Lies

(More Quill nonsense.)

(Or is it?)

It turns out that Taupe was a bit stronger than Ace, but Ace was quicker off the start, giving him a sizeable advantage early in the match. You watched the even match for several minutes as Taupe slowly eked out a lead over the pegasus. The earth pony’s vaunted stamina was paying off for him, and you chuckled as the pegasus was finally brought up to a vertical position, the small amount of sweat running down his cheek making it all too clear just what he thought of what was going on at the moment.

“Taupe.” The peagsus’ voice was strained, but still quite clear. “Hey, Taupe.”

The earth pony, when he chose to respond, sounded far less stressed than the pegasus. “Yes, Ace? What can I do for you?” The pegasus suddenly got a glint in his eyes as he began pushing back with all his might, gaining ground on the surprised earth pony. “Sweet Celestia, Ace. Relax.”

“Just lose, Taupe. Make this easy on both of us.” The strained sound of the pegasus’ voice was clear to everypony present, and you cocked your head slightly as you observed the events. A small idea popped into your head, and so you allowed your magic to flow through you, blurring your vision for just a moment. You looked at the earth pony first, watching as his small core of magic pulsed steadily, much like it should. Each beat surged from his core to his limbs, echoing back to the core before the next pulse would fire. It was, admittedly, a bit stronger than some you’d seen, but it was nothing too extraordinary.

As you turned to look at Ace, though, Storm stepped between you and him, his magical essence blinding you for a moment. Storm’s magical potential nearly rivaled Twilight’s, but there was something else there. Something holding back all that potential, keeping his body from being destroyed by the magic that threatened to flood his body. You stepped around the pegasus, trying to get a look at Ace. You already knew some about Storm, so his magic didn’t really concern you. Not like you could’ve done anything about it if you wanted to.

No, the pegasus was far more interesting than Storm was. What you saw as you looked at the pegasus chilled you to the core. The red magic that was present within the stallion before was now far more predominant, threatening to match the blue magic for quantity. That abruptly changed, though, as the pegasus’ second win ran out, and Taupe quickly vanquished Ace, the impact of the pair of hooves shaking the table. The impact left Ace rubbing his hoof with his other hoof, and soon he was laughing wildly. Taupe soon joined in, and then the rest of the group.

You didn’t laugh though. The magic within Ace was beginning to grow in strength, and if left unchecked it could threaten to take over the blue pegasus.

“Well, you two are both probably a bit winded from that round, so what say we pick two new ponies, hmm? Quill, you up for a round?” As you hear your name you quickly look at Storm, who was the one speaking. “You can even pick who you go up against, if you like.” You nodded as you looked at the stallions present, and then your gaze finally returned to the grey pegasus before you.

“Storm, you and me. I’m interested to see how you fare against me.” The grey pegasus chuckles as he moves to the table, before he takes a seat.

“Quill, I’ll just let you know now that I’m a bit stronger than I look. If you’re hoping for an easy win against some weak pegasus, think again.” You mirror him soon after he starts speaking, taking a seat at the table, opposite him. “Seriously, Quill. Even Big Mac sometimes has some difficulty getting my hoof down.”

“I seem to recall, Quill, that you only won ‘cause I was using my off hoof. And you had Dash dancing behind you. In a provocative manner, no less.”

Storm visibly blushes, and he averts his gaze. “Yeah, well… A win’s a win. Quit being so sour about it, Mac. That was, what? Months ago?”

Taupe fields this question, speaking up loud enough to be heard. “It was just after I arrived in Ponyville. And I don’t see why you’re bragging, Storm. After you began bragging about beating Big Mac, AJ came out and whooped both of you. Without breaking a sweat.”

“That she did. That she did.” The pegasus across from you quickly brings his focus back to you, and then he raises a hoof. “Shall we, Quill? We’ve got a crowd, and I’m ready to wipe the floor with you.” You allow a smile to come to your face as you bring your hoof up to meet Storm’s. “No magic, Quill. This is a match of pure physical strength. Otherwise unicorns would always win.”

Big Mac’s slow and steady countdown was largely unneeded, since as soon as he started the two of you began applying quite a bit of force into the other’s hoof. It was dead even as Mac finally said ‘go’ and it stayed that way for several agonizing minutes. You felt a small bit of slipping on your part, and in the time it took you to adjust for the loss of traction, Storm managed to push you nearly to the table.

“Don’t worry, Quill, not many ponies can beat me. I mean, I am Storm Runner, hero of-” You take advantage of his short speech to roughly bring your full strength to bear, quickly asserting an unmistakable lead on the pegasus. And, to make matters better, you were keeping the exertion away from your face, making it appear an effortless victory.

“You were saying?” As you finish speaking, you also finish the match, finally forcing Storm’s hoof into the table. “It’s usually not a good idea to brag until you win, Storm. Saves you from looking like a mule.” And, on that note, you rear up, planting both front hooves on the table. “What now, Storm? I thought you were supposed to be good? I didn’t even break a sweat! It’s almost like you weren’t even trying! But, that can’t be, since you’re drenched in your own sweat. If anyone wasn’t trying, it would be me!” You stop, taking a moment to let that all sink in, before you burst into laughter. “Nah, I’m kidding. Really, I did have to struggle for some of that to win, and you’re pretty damn strong.”

As Storm’s laughter begins to die down, he gives you a nod. “Well, you’re no pushover yourself. Hay, I thought I had it in the bag. I didn’t figure some scholarly type like you would stand much of a chance.” You brush off the passing insult like it was never uttered, instead choosing to strike back.

“Well, you surprised me as well. I figured some hero like you wouldn’t even bother keeping in shape, instead choosing to rest on his laurels.” You notice out of the corner of your eye that all the heads of the ponies present turn to look at Storm.

“While some heroes would do that, I’m not like some heroes. I’m amazed that you’re as strong as you are, given that you have nopony to prove it to. All your friends…” The pegasus stops as he realizes where he’s going with his current train of thought. “Aren’t here, so they can’t witness your triumph. A good match, Quill. Now, lets have Ace and Taupe do their next round. I’m interested to see who’ll win.”

Despite his recovery, Storm still hit a sour note, and you aren’t quite as interested in the match as you were moments ago. You walk a short distance away from the proceedings before you stop, and let out a massive sigh. If only they knew. Hell, if only the could know. At least then I’d have a choice. But now? Now I couldn’t even tell them if I wanted to.

After that point, the night progresses quickly, much of it a blur due to the alcohol you allowed yourself to have. Taupe winded up winning two of their three matches, although you were amazed at just how close the last match was. And nopony could’ve seen it coming that the table would, literally, shatter under their combined efforts. As the party began to break up, you started making your way home. As you staggered into town, you heard a voice call out your name, and you slowly turned towards the source.

Rarity, her mane just a bit disheveled, was slowly trotting towards you, a big smile on her face despite her mane’s less than perfect standing. “Quill, are you really heading home already? The night is still young, and there is much that we could do. Perhaps just spend some time together?” You look at her for a moment, thinking about it, before you agree.

“Sure, Rarity. But I think it is a bit later than you think.”

“Well, then we’ll be heading to bed soon, won’t we?” A suggestive wink ends her sentence, and you watch her walk past, making no immediate moves to follow her. Am I about to get lucky? You turn around, eager to follow the mare, and the slight sway to her hips is all the confirmation you need. Oh yes. A distant niggling doubt tried to make itself known to you, but you didn’t pay it any mind. Ace wouldn’t be getting into much trouble tonight, if his bragging claims were anything to go by. He and Twilight were finally going to… Well, what they did was none of your concern.

You followed the mare at first, as you slowly caught up to her, and then the two of you walked the deserted streets of Ponyville alone, save for each other. It was a clear night, and the heavenly multitudes were on full display, making themselves quite apparent. As you looked at them, your eyes began to trace the easily remembered constellations that you had been shown in your youth. Most of them would have no relevance to Rarity, given their origins. But there were still some that were shared by all sentient races.

Before you could find any really well known constellations, though, you arrived at the boutique. Rarity opened the door silently, entering and then motioning for you to do the same. She quickly led you through the shop that made up the bottom floor of her home, and up to the second floor, the place she called her home. The two of you entered the small living room, and Rarity elegantly leapt upon her reclining sofa, quickly adjusting the pillows and cushions until she had reached a state of optimum comfort. You admired her form for a moment before you approached one of the other seats in the room, planting yourself into it much faster than Rarity had.

“Quill.” Her single word brought your attention to her, and you smiled as you saw what she was holding with her magic. It was a stack of parchment, each one written in a script that you knew intimately well. Your own. “I kept them all. From your first fumbling attempts, all the way to your latest. And I have to ask, why me?” She pauses for a moment, but you don’t interrupt, knowing that she had more to say. “I am painfully aware of my good looks, having received more advances than I’d like, but I don’t think that you’re the kind of stallion to go for naught but looks. Nor do I think it is my generosity, since that only become apparent if you’re around me for a while.”

She sinks into thought, and you open your mouth to speak before she raises a hoof, cutting off your reply before you could start. You close your mouth slowly, and the mare puts the stack of letters down in front of her, spreading them slightly across the coffee table. “You’re not the first to send me love letters. Nor are you, frankly, the best at writing them. I mean no offense by that. It’s a fact. I’m not here to lie to you.” You look her in the eyes as she says that last sentence, and you feel a shiver run the length of your spine. She knows…

“That dear little assistant of Twilight’s, Spike, often wrote me love letters, even after I explained to him that it wasn’t something that was doable. He may be more mature than some of his peers, but that doesn’t make him any older.” The mare flips a few of the letters aside, gazing longingly at the words written on the pages. “Now he’s trying to find somepony his own age. I hope he finds somepony, honestly. He deserves one.”

“Rarity, I don’t think I can really say why I fell for you.”

“Try, darling. I want to know what it was that attracted you to me.”

You heave a sigh before you cast your mind back to when you first started writing those letters, and when your feelings were still fleeting things. So much to tell, and yet so much you couldn’t say. The truth, though, was possible, albeit with a few key omissions. You’d have to be careful.

“Well, it all started when I saw you in Canterlot.” Safe, so far.

“Oh? I think I’d remember somepony like you being around.”

“Please, I’m not that… I don’t really stand out that much. Anyway, it was during the attack that I saw you for the first time. Although it was entirely in passing.” There’s no way she could possibly associate you with the Changelings based on that. “The second time was at the meeting called by Celestia and Luna for the theft of the Elements. That’s the time when I really got to see you for the first time. And, I’ll admit, it was your beauty that struck me first. I didn’t send my first letter until much later because I was intimidated by you.”

“Really? How do you mean?”

“Well…” You pause, trying to explain yourself clearly. “If you saw the most magnificent fire ruby ever, what do you think you would do?” The mare cocked her head for a moment.

“I’d see about trying to get it, if I could.” She stops for a moment, and then she raises an eyebrow. “Are you saying that you didn’t think you could afford me?”

“No, not at all. It’s more like I don’t think I’m good enough for you. Or, at least, I didn’t think I was good enough. I still do, somewhat. It’s just… You’re this beautiful, wonderful, mare. And you’re giving me the pleasure of your attention.”

“Flattery will get you somewhere, Quill. But let’s not get too far off topic. So, you saw me at that little meeting. What then? That was quite some time before you wrote me for the first time.”

“Yeah. I took quite a bit of time to work up the courage needed to write you that first letter. Even though it wasn’t eloquent, I do think that it was probably one of my best. Not for quality of writing, or neatness of quillmanship, but for the effort put into it. I put so much into that letter, and I like to think that it shows, if only a little bit.” You pause, and then bring a few of the letters over to your face. “After that first one, I waited for your reply for a few days before I started to lose hope. When I wrote that first letter I didn’t really know what you’d say or do. And I didn’t know Ditzy very well at that point, so I didn’t even think to ask her about you.”

The mare held up your first letter, as she read it over once more. Despite yourself, you feel a slight blush come to your cheeks. “You spelled my name wrong.” The mare lowers the letter, and she’s got a poorly contained smile on her face. “Quill, please, go on. That was long ago enough that we don’t need to dwell on the specifics.”

“But that’s just the thing! It was all specifics for me! When I wrote to you, I put it all on the table, so to speak. I laid out my thoughts for you, since you were one of… No, you were the only outlet I really had for my feelings.”

“You didn’t have anypony else you could talk to?”

“Not really, no. I don’t really get along so well with others. There are quite a few things that contribute to that. But as I wrote to you more and more, my fascination only grew with each letter. While it was your looks that drew me in, it was your personality that kept me. You had so much to say about nearly anything that I threw your way. From fashion, your specialty, to philosophy. It seemed that no matter the topic, you’d have something to say.

“And so, with those constant letters, I grew more and more fond of you, but, at the same time, I grew more and more afraid.” You raise your eyes to look at the mare, and, for just a moment, you felt your magic pulse, almost against your will. The mare didn’t seem to notice, save for a tiny flutter of her eyelashes. “I was afraid that I wouldn’t be what you were expecting. Or that I’d somehow be less than I portrayed myself in those letters.”

“Well, you were both more, and less, than I had hoped you would be.” The mare offered a sad smile, and then she grabbed all the letters once again, and put them aside. All that stood between you and the mare was the coffee table. “You mentioned that you saw me twice in Canterlot. The first time being the Changeling attack. How did you come out during that horrendous attack? From what I recall it was especially bad for some of the ponies there.”

“Oh, well, I had it quite bad. I was in such a state that I couldn’t make it to the wedding.” You slow your answers, so that you might have time to think. “I actually found myself outside of the city after the attack. Carried off by some Changelings.”

“Quill. I want you to be honest with me for a moment. Can you do that?”

“Yeah. I’ll tell you what you want to know.”

“Why are you lying to me?” The mare had looked away while you spoke about your misadventures in Canterlot, and now she looks back at you, tears in her eyes. “Why have you insisted in this farce for so long?”

“Rar-”

“No. No, Quill. You’ve been lying to me since that first letter. You’ve been lying to me this whole time!”

“Just… I can explain.”

“Can you? Can you explain how your kind attacked Canterlot, unprovoked, mind you, and tried to conquer all of Equestria?”

“You need to understand…”

“I understand plenty! I saw your journal. After the ransacking of your room at Storm’s house, I became suspicious. While we cleaned up the mess I happened to see your journal, which was open to a page… A page where you had a conversation with the Changeling Queen. I was intrigued, and confused. I glanced at a few more pages, and then it became clear. When I went to see Dash later, it was as much to talk with her about it as it was to actually make her look nice. She and Storm explained it to me.”

“I..”

“Get out, Catalyst. Get out, and don’t come back. I won’t stop what you’re doing, and I won’t share, but I won’t spend my time with you. I won’t let you leech my emotions from me for your own ends.” As she speaks, the flow of emotions stops abruptly, and you realize with a slight gasp that all that you had been getting from her was her magic, made to feel like emotions. And after a moment you realized that you weren’t even picking up the residual emotions that lingered all throughout the town.

“Rarity, let me explain.”

“No. Just leave.” A pang of pain shoots through you as you walk past the mare, and as you leave the room, you turn to look back at the mare, silently hoping. It was a stupid gesture, since all it showed you was the stoic face of the mare. Her eyes burned with an inner energy, and you could see tears forming in her eyes.

“I’m sorry.” A weak sob echoed through your mind as you stepped from her home onto the streets.

“I’m sorry.” The sob kept echoing over and over through your mind as you walked the winding streets that led to your home.

“I’m sorry.” The echo faded as you fell onto your bed, the disguise you had been keeping up fading into nothingness, leaving your dark grey hide open to the air. You bring up a hoof and you look at it, looking through the holes to see the ceiling. “I’m sorry that I’m not what, or who, you want me to be, Rarity. But… I’m not sorry I’m a Changeling.”

(Well, there it is. Hope you enjoyed. I've got most of the rest of the plot figured out from here, so it's just a matter of writing it all down. Oh, and yes, your name is Catalyst. I said it was a sciency term. His name has been alluded to, slightly. It will become even more apparent in a few chapters. Stay tuned, broskis.)