• Published 21st Aug 2019
  • 2,943 Views, 83 Comments

Phoenix in Another World - Cheer



Sunset, after a fatal incident finds herself in a different world.

  • ...
6
 83
 2,943

17

It was about ten minutes later that Sunset heard the door open again.

“She says something’s wrong with her hand.” She heard Sanse explain before the sound of footsteps made their way towards her. “Yvonne, you can take over here. I’m going home.” It seemed like Sanse really didn’t want to stick around. Though to be fair, Sunset could empathise a little. If her shift was over she’d leave right away too.

Luckily the woman didn’t seem to be in a poor mood as she stood in front of the cell. “Hello again. What seems to be the matter?”

Sunset could see the confusion in her face when she simply stood up and walked over. “Well…” She offered her hand “It looks like whatever that ring did spread.”

Maria looked at her hand with a serious expression. “Do you know what might have caused this?”

Sunset shrugged, poking the red part on her hand a couple times with the other hand, trying to show it was safe. “I have no clue. I’ve just been stuck in here. Maybe it’s something in the Cell? Maybe the food or air?”

Maria hummed as she finally took to touching it. “It’s warm.” She mumbled before speaking up “I doubt it’s anything directly caused by your situation. You had the red on your finger during the test afterall.

Maria seemed distracted however, which worried Sunset a bit. What could be so interesting in this cell besides herself?

Maria spoke up again “Did you use magic?”

Sunset was thrown off by the change of topic. At least that showed that magic might not be an odd thing. But the sudden question was worrying. “What do you mean?” She asked with a raised brow.

Maria sighed “Please don’t lie to me.”

“I really don-”

“Look. I know you’ve been using it. If you lie to me again I won’t even think about going easy on you.” Maria seemed serious and that was an issue. Sunset had initially thought that she might be easy to deal with but she wasn’t stupid it seemed.

Sunset sighed and nodded “Alright… yeah. I have. I just needed to practice a bit. I didn’t want to say anything because I didn’t know how anyone would react.” She offered

Maria’s gaze hardened a bit before she sighed “Well. I can see that you’re not going to be completely honest with me then-”

“What?! I am! I was just practicing!” Sunset declared with a glare.

“The amount of magic I can feel from the cell is way more than just “Practising”” Maria replied

“Oh, please! If you can really feel that much magic, the how am I still here? How does the cell look the same? I’ve just been creating a tiny flame, snuffing it out and then repeating.” Sunset explained. Her calm nature had been slightly affected by this. Being accused of lying was annoying. Sure, she had thrown a lot of white lies into the mix while dealing with this bunch, but being accused of straight up lying was annoying.

Maria stopped and approached Sunset again. “Then show me this, “tiny flame” of yours.”

Sunset took a calming breath and raised her finger, easily creating a flame on the tip. “Happy?” She asked before getting rid of it and bringing it back. “This is all I’ve been doing.”

Maria looked calm and stood back up “I understand. I apologize for accusing you but we can’t be too careful.”

Yvonne who’d been standing to the side during this, spoke up “Sanse did make the comparison to the elves when she first showed up. Since she said she came from a pretty hidden and cut off area. It would explain having more magic.”

Maria raised a brow and stood up “Is that so? She looked back towards Sunset, glancing towards her ears “Are you a kind of elf?”

Sunset sighed and shook her head. She was a bit tired of all this fantasy stuff that she only knew from books. Which was a little funny to think of since she came from a fantasy world herself. “I couldn’t say. I don’t think so.” She nodded towards Yvonne “Like she said. I come from a really cut off place. I didn’t know anything about the elves you’re talking about. So for all I know, I could be related.” She explained with a shrug.

Maria looked her over for a few moments longer before nodding softly “I see. I just ask that you keep your practice to a minimum. Some people are very sensitive to magic and could get sick.”

“Ah. I see. That’s never been a problem before. But I’ll keep it in mind.” As crazy as all of this had been, she would feel bad if some random person had ended up sick just because of her magic. Aside from that, it gave her a little more information about the world. Magic was common enough that it was accepted but not powerful if her practice was enough to worry someone.

Maria nodded softly and stepped away. “Getting back to the original topic. We’ll keep an eye on it but I don’t think it’ll be a problem for now.”

Sunset looked at the red on her hand again and sighed “Yeah. I hope not. I like my shade of orange.” She said with a frown before adding “Red doesn’t look as good with my hair.”

Maria smiled a little and nodded “I see. I do have to admit your skin and hair work together really well.”

Sunset smiled back and looked around a little “So… Can I get a little freedom?”

Maria sighed and shook her head “No can do. Especially now that I know you have magic. Soon hopefully though.”

Sunset sighed and felt her body slack. “Dang it. This cell is really dull.”

“Even with those books?” Maria asked, looking at the three book pile towards the front corner of the cell.

Sunset rolled her eyes “Books are one thing. But I’m still stuck in a jail cell.” She said with a shrug “Not like I can go for a jog if I get bored.”

Maria nodded softly “Yeah. I can see what you mean but, as soon as everything is taken care of, you should be free to come and go as you need. So you just have to put up with it. If everything turns out fine we’ll compensate you a bit.”

“I suppose.” Sunset sighed as she stepped back towards her “bed”. She didn’t feel like this conversation was going to go anywhere anyway.

Maria looked towards Yvonne and moved her head away.

Sunset sighed again as the two left and with a little exertion she telekinetically pulled a book towards her. It didn’t need as much effort as moving through a wall like she tried before but it was still much more effort than it should require. “Stupid world. Stupid magic.” She grumbled as she looked through the book. Much of it was still strange to look at but she was slowly beginning to make some sense of it.

Author's Note:

Uh. Yeah. This one was kinda forced. Also. I forgot to friggin publish the last chapter ages ago DX