• Published 31st Jul 2019
  • 2,625 Views, 181 Comments

One on One Philosophy with Discord - CrackedInkWell



An anthology about Discord teaching down-to-earth and relatable Philosophy to the Young Six and their teachers. Sequel to "The Philosophical Substitute: Discord"

  • ...
1
 181
 2,625

Twilight and Silverstream (Part 4) - On Constitutional Monarchy

The next place we visited was Universe: 39316293640293638-42-R. Instead of descending from the sky, I decided to mix things up by having the cafeteria table be pushed in sideways through a crystal wall and plop down to the middle of a room. Of course, we were covered in shards of the stuff as if we smashed through several stained-glass windows. A series of shaking off later, Silverstream asked, “Where are we now?”

Looking around, I answered, “Looks like we’re inside Twilight’s Crystal Tree Castle. Although I’m not sure which room this is as this place is always a maze in here.”

“Okay,” Twilight picked a shard out from her wing, “so which universe is this one again?”

“Welcome to the universe where Equestria had adopted the idea of having their monarchs on a leash.”

My student glanced at my boss for a moment before asking, “Like literally or…?”

“Metaphorically, unfortunately. The idea in this universe is that because monarchs tend towards going King Sombra on the rest of us, they should be kept in check by others. Usually by a group that’s elected by the aristocracy and the citizens.”

“So, it’s more a system of checks and balances?” Twilight inquired.

“Well…” I pause and put a claw to my lips. “Oh, I don’t wanna spoil the surprise so soon.”

“Well that’s rather vague,” Silverstream pointed out, “How exactly does this work?”

Floating over to a door and opening it with my tail, I waved to them, “Why not we go take a look?”

Now hooked on curiosity, I lead them a very short distance – right next door in fact – towards a sitting room. A small little place where there are two comfy chairs, and a smaller table set up for tea-time. Complete with a teapot, cups, sandwiches, and cakes. At first, my boss seemed confused by this, “What does this have anything to do with government?”

“Well, Your Highness,” I said, pulling out an umbrella, “why don’t you ask her?”

“Who?”

As expected, there was a knock on the door we entered from, and I pulled the umbrella open, diffusing the light enough so that my student and I seem invisible. While Twilight was surprised that we seemed to have disappeared, Silverstream was about to ask me something but I held her beak shut and put a talon to my lips. After all, the show is about to start.

There was another knock, and at first, the Princess of Books wasn’t sure what to do except to say “Come in.” The door opened and a familiar-looking pony walked in. My boss had to blink a couple of times to register what she was seeing. Because the pony that walked in was Cadence, only, she wasn’t in her princess getup. This one had on a dark blue business suit and tie holding a briefcase, and her mane was pulled up in a bun.

“Your Majesty,” she gave her a bow, “I’m glad to see that you are doing well.”

Twilight blinked, “I am?”

“Well, you have come down with the flu. I was worried that we wouldn’t have our weekly audience.” She smiled, “Still, it’s good to see you again. So…” Other Cadence trotted over to one of the seats and sat down in it. “Out of curiosity, how is Sir Spike? Is he doing any better?”

“Last time I saw him, he was,” Twilight replied, gingerly walking over to the seat across from her and took her place.

“Ah, that’s good news indeed.” She nodded. “After all, I heard that the breakup was harsh on him. Most of Parliament was getting worried about his well-being.” Taking out the briefcase and putting on a pair of reading glasses, she opened it and looked at some papers. “So, for the business of the week, I’m afraid there’s not much to report on. Just planning ahead for Queen Silverstream’s visit and the plan for how Equestria responds to Yakyakistan opening up their borders for the first time and…” she looked up at my boss. “Your Highness, are you alright?”

“Uh…” it looked like she had to think quickly so she replied, “Sorry, I’m just a little distracted with all that’s going on, even getting confused since I’m still recovering from the flu.”

“Confused?”

“Like uh… What exactly do you do again, Cadence?”

She blinked as she tilted her head. “I’m your Prime Minister. I have been for the past couple of years now. Ever since Parliament elected me by majority vote. Are you sure you’re feeling alright?”

“Kinda… I can still function, it’s just that my head is still rather foggy as I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“Oh, I see.” Prime Cadence nodded. “Well, maybe you should get some rest, the council will take care of the planning for Queen Silverstream’s arrival and what to do with Yakyakistan.”

“But what about me?”

“Uh… Your Majesty?”

“Don’t you still need me to do something? I mean, it’s the reason you came to me, right?”

“No…?” the other Cadence raised an eyebrow. “I came to give you my weekly report on what the council is doing. You don’t have to do anything.”

“What?” Now it was my boss’s turn to look confused. “That doesn’t make sense. Why come to me for something that somepony else is going to do anyway?”

A moment later, the Prime Cadence got up to put a hoof over her forehead. “Are you sure you’re feeling alright? You should have already known this stuff by now.”

“Humor me – at least for a moment. If a council is doing the actual government work, then what do I do?”

The other Cadence pondered this question for a moment before replying. “Well, Your Majesty, while the monarchy had surrendered their actual power years ago to be hoofed over to Parliament, you still have an important role to play. To be a symbol of stability, the very face of the country to the world in how you carry out your ceremonial roles. A voice of comfort and reason in trying times and the upholder of what makes us Equestrian by showing the world at its best.”

My boss scrunched up her face for a moment before replying, “Yeah… I’m not buying it.”

“Your Highness?” Prime Cadence blinked.

“Even if that were all true, that doesn’t make sense why you would have me. If all I needed to do around here is to smile and wave, where I guess I have no right to say what I think is right or wrong, then I can pretty much be replaced by a cardboard cutout while the rest of you do the actual work.”

“But that’s not true, you’re still important-”

“As an appendix would be to a pony. If all I get to do is listen to you and not do a thing about it, I might as well not be here.” Twilight got up, heading towards the door, “After all, it looks like I’m just wasting your time.”

We followed after her unlike the stunned Prime Minister back into the next room. Once we were out of sight, I dropped the invisibility umbrella. “Wow boss, that one struck a nerve,” I remarked.

She huffed. “No kidding. I mean having a monarchy that doesn’t do much of anything other than looking pretty is not much of a monarch at all.” Twilight looked over to Silverstream who has been quiet for a long time. “What do you think?” she asked her.

After scratching the back of her neck, she replied: “Honestly… I do agree why you would be upset but…”

I raised an eyebrow. “But?”

“Well… My auntie Novo told me once that when you have the crown, it is unwise to make decisions when you haven’t heard what others have to say about this or that. Of course, in the end, you still have to make a decision, but it’s best to have advisers and such as a conscience to make the right decision.”

“Yes,” Twilight nodded, “but that only works when you’re given a choice to make that decision or at the very least give in your two cents.”

Then, just at that dramatic moment, there was a knock on the door, followed by the other Cadence calling out, “Your Majesty? Are you in there?” After a pause, Twilight took in a deep breath before going to answer the door, but open just enough to open it. “Listen, Your Highness, if I had offended you for what I said-”

“No… No, it’s not you. Like I said, I’m still recovering, and I just took what you said a little too personally.” Ah, good cover. “I didn’t mean to lash out on you like that. You’re just trying to do your job and I…”

A pink hoof was placed on her shoulder. “Twilight, I get it. If I were in your horseshoes, I would be frustrated beyond belief for not being able to have your opinion heard or have a say in government. Not just that you’re the Princess, but at the end of the day, you’re still a pony that wants what’s best for the country. And I do too. Of course, I may not agree with everything you’ve said in the past, but the fact remains that you are still a figure that’s still respected and looked up to. You’re not a cardboard cut-out, you’re the Princess that has rights too. If there’s anything that I should apologize for, is for not asking what your thoughts are on these matters. So to make up for that, if you allow it, from here on out, I will relay what is going on, hear you out, and then report it to the council to have them consider what is best.”

Although we couldn’t see it, Twilight was smiling at her. “As Princess, I would love that.”

Once the two of them said their goodbyes, we decided to move on to the next Universe.

Author's Note:

To be Continued...