• Published 31st Jul 2019
  • 7,576 Views, 613 Comments

Shadow of a Doubt - MayhemMoth



Starlight quickly learns it’s going to take a lot to save a pony with no hope.

  • ...
11
 613
 7,576

Chapter 19: Progress

“I’m not mad.”

“Repeating the phrase doesn’t make it true.”

Twilight inhaled, putting her hooves together and closing her eyes, then exhaled, “I’m not mad.”

“Oh, you’re super mad.”

“Fine.” She lowered her hooves, looking straight at Starlight, “I am mad, but what did you expect? He attacked Star Swirl.”

“I wouldn’t go as far as to say attacked,” Starlight said, nonchalantly watering one of her succulents, “Star Swirl was fine, wasn’t he?”

“Are you defending Sombra’s behavior?”

“Are you defending Star Swirl’s?”

Twilight held back a retort, closing her eyes, slapping her hooves together, and taking another breath. Then she exhaled, repeating the process three more times.

“No,” She answered, opening her eyes, “Neither of their behaviors were acceptable.”

“And what do you plan to do about it?”

“Nothing. I can’t punish either of them. Star Swirl is far beyond me, and I can’t break what little trust Sombra might have in me.”

Switching to another plant, Starlight asked, “Do you think he trusts you at all?”

A brief silence, and then a quiet sigh, “I really don’t know, but I want to believe he might.”

Starlight gave her a sympathetic smile, “It might take some time, but maybe someday he will.”

Twilight nodded, watching as Starlight pulled out a small pair of pruning shears. Gently, she pruned the succulent she’d been watering, clipping away some leaves to allow new growth. The shears were golden, just like something Starlight had given up recently.

Switching the subject, Twilight said, “Sunburst told me about the Gala tickets.”

Starlight paused her work, setting the shears aside as she said, “You can’t change my mind.”

“I’m not trying to. I just don’t understand why you didn’t tell me you didn’t want to go.”

“I didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“And I would never want to make you uncomfortable,” Twilight assured, getting a look of doubt from her former student, “Well, other than those assignments I used to give you. But friendship has helped a lot, hasn’t it?”

“Guess you’re not wrong about that,” She smiled, turning one of her succulents toward the sun, “But now it’s my turn to teach the magic of friendship to somepony who needs it, and I’m doing it my own way.”

Twilight returned the smile, “And I must say I’m proud of you for that, even if your first student is going to be one of the hardest.”

Starlight nodded, but said nothing more, returning to pruning. Her thoughts were on her plants this morning, which was a bit of a relief to both of them. Sunburst and Star Swirl had left just a few hours ago, choosing to stay overnight before returning to the Crystal Empire. Star Swirl hadn’t seemed particularly upset with Sombra, though she still knew he’d report this to Cadance or Celestia, and it was their reactions that worried her.

The princesses had every right to punish him, and this just added to the possibility they would.

“Hey, Twilight?” She needed to get her mind off of that. The princess raised her head with a curious hum, “If I had decided to go to the Gala, who do you think I should’ve taken?”

“Oh, well…” The question surprised her, and she had to think for an answer. She wasn’t sure she had one, “I don’t know, I’d planned on giving you a ticket for a while. I suppose Sunburst or Trixie could’ve gone with you.”

She left out the part where she’d originally only thought to give her one ticket. The idea of Trixie at the Gala wasn’t one she liked, so sure the mare would try to make the occasion into a magic show about her. Celestia might’ve liked a bit more excitement at her final Gala, but Twilight wasn’t so willing to deal with that.

“I guess, if I were to choose,” She continued slowly, “I’d have suggested Sombra.”

“Why him?” Starlight seemed shocked, but she supposed that wasn’t too much of a surprise.

“I was hoping he’d have calmed down by the time of the Gala, and figured it would’ve been a good way to show this improvement to Celestia.”

“I doubt Celestia would even allow him in the castle.”

“Maybe not, but it’s Pinkie and I in charge of the Gala. I can invite whomever I please.”

Starlight let out a small laugh, “Really working yourself into that princess role, aren’t you?”

“Best to start early, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, I suppose so.”

She’d finished her succulent care for the day. Levitating over a rag, she wiped off her pruners and set them on a shelf, to be properly cleaned and put away later. There were other things she had to attend to, and a certain pony she wanted to check on, so the small things would have to wait.

“Are you hungry?” She asked Twilight, “I’m about ready for lunch, and since I’m going to have to make something for Sombra as well, I figured I’d offer.”

“Oh, no, I’m fine. I’m supposed to head to Rarity’s in about half an hour for ‘brunch’,” She explained, putting an emphasis on the strange word, “And then a dress review. She wants mine to be perfect, so I’ve been going there almost every other day to try it on.”

“Hey, at least she’s paying for your time with food, right?”

“You know it’s not just because of that,” Twilight said, nudging Starlight playfully, “Though I will admit, even if I always enjoy my friends’ company, I am getting a bit tired of all these test runs.”

“You could always just say something, I’m sure she’d understand.”

Twilight suppressed a giggle, “Wise words from the pony who gave up her Gala tickets without telling me.”

The comment bothered Starlight more than she wanted it to, but she wouldn’t say that aloud. She’d never been particularly good with expressing her feelings, and she’d have thought Twilight would’ve figured that out by now.

“We all have our reasons for things, as strange as they may be,” She answered.


Befitting a cave outside of the Pegasi’s jurisdiction, the area around Grogar’s Lair had unpredictable weather. Dark clouds always seemed to congregate overhead, but what came out of them was somewhat of a mystery. Sometimes there was only wind that howled through all the openings, sometimes there was a thunderous downpour that was much less soothing than the casual storm of controlled weather.

Today, it was snowing.

Tirek hated it.

He’d hailed from a desert, and though the nights were often freezing, it never snowed. The skies were always clear, and the stars always bright, but now everything was the same shades of white and grey. Not that colors ever mattered to him, it was just horribly boring to constantly be surrounded by the same ones. It was like Tatarus, but colder.

Not that the cold bothered him all that much either. Even with a thinner coat and bare arms, he wasn’t freezing, just uncomfortable. The biting wind didn’t help much, but that was only a problem when he was outside. Which, unfortunately, he currently was.

“You need to go inside,” He said, more disappointed than annoyed, “Any longer out here and you’ll freeze to death.”

“You can’t tell the future Empress of Friendship what to do!” Cozy Glow hurled a snowball at him, the projectile splatting pathetically between his legs, “When Grogar’s not here, I’m in charge, and I make my own rules! I can play in the snow as long as I want!”

“No, you aren’t, and no, you can’t.”

Ignoring the snowballs she pelted him with, he walked over and grabbed her. Ensuring his hand was firmly around her wings with no chance of escape, he looked over her closer. Though she wore a coat, she was shivering, and her nose was red and runny from the cold.

“You’re coming inside,” He repeated, more firmly. She squirmed in his grip.

“But I haven’t played in the snow in so long,” She whined, “They locked me in Tartarus over Winter, so I missed the snow! This is the first time I’ve seen it in over a year.”

For a pony so determined in taking over Equestria, Tirek tended to forget she really was just a filly, and therefore had childish desires. He couldn’t understand what made the snow so intriguing to her, and why she had to throw a tantrum over it, but it had to end.

Turning back to the lair, he said, “You can play in the snow again tomorrow, but right now you have to go inside. It’s getting late, it’s getting colder, and I don’t need to find you dead in the snow in the morning.”

Squirming stopped, Cozy put her hooves to her face with a smile, “Aw, you do care.”

“Shut up.”

Surprisingly, she actually did, but not without a giggle. Tirek ignored it, shaking the snow off himself before returning to the lair, making his way to the main room and setting Cozy on the table. It wasn’t really warmer inside, what with so many openings, but neither the snow or wind could make things worse.

Leaving her to remove her damp jacket, he wandered off to grab a blanket. There wasn’t any way to start a fire in this cave without gathering firewood first, so that was his quick solution. That old ram really should've thought his subordinates through before summoning them, neither Cozy or Chrysalis could tolerate the cold as well as he could. One was a small child, and the other, while more resilient, was still an ectotherm.

At the thought of her, Tirek paused. She hadn’t left her room much since Grogar’s thrashing, only occasionally slinking out to steal food or to hiss at singing birds outside. If she took too long to do either of these things, he’d peek into her room to make sure she wasn’t dead. Perhaps he should check today? A cracked carapace wouldn’t be too good in the cold.

Ignoring Cozy Glow’s room, he wandered over to Chrysalis’. No doors meant that spying wasn’t hard, and upon looking around the cave’s edge he saw her sprawled across the floor. Her log was in a different spot than the last time he’d checked, so it seemed she was sulking.

“Go away.”

Of course, spying or not, it was basically impossible to silence his hoofsteps. Centaurs had never been known for their grace.

“I’m simply obeying Grogar’s orders of making sure you’re not dead,” He half lied.

“He can check on me himself.”

“He’s not home.”

“Again?” She shot up, venom dribbling from her mouth, “Does that ornery old fool truly care about his so-called conquest? I’d have figured we’d have gutted half of Twilight’s friends by now!”

“He did say he still needed Sombra, for some reason.”

“And what could that shadow do that we can’t?”

He had to think to answer that one. Other than added magic power, there was very little Sombra could accomplish that they couldn’t. Dark magic was hardly an advantage when Grogar had a creature that could suck the magic out of others in his ranks. Then again, he recalled stories from his childhood that frequently mentioned Grogar, and it was often mentioned that he fed off fear.

“Perhaps he wants his mind control?”

“I can mind control ponies.”

“Well, I’ve never seen you do it,” Tirek shrugged, “Maybe Grogar just hates our company.”

“Can’t say I blame him.” Chrysalis fell back to the ground, sprawling out like a ragdoll, “I’m hungry.”

“I caught some more fish earlier, if that interests you.”

“Absolutely not,” She gagged dramatically, much to his annoyance, “I need real sustenance, not the same garbage you’re forced to feed on. I need love.”

“We don’t exactly have any of that around.”

Chrysalis was in his face in an instant.

“Liar!” She shouted, wings buzzing furiously, “Both you and that pink grub feel love, for the most mundane of things! I felt her enjoyment for that filth outside, and every time she eats a cupcake!”

Choosing not to acknowledge the implication that he felt love, Tirek asked, “Then why not feed off of her?”

“A foal’s love for snow is hardly an appetizer, let alone a meal. Not to mention, hers is strangely bitter. You’d have much more to feed off of.”

She jabbed him in the chest, and he blinked. Denial filled him, there was nothing for her to feed off of. He hated her, he hated Cozy, he hated everything. There was nothing. Still, he questioned her.

“And what could I possibly care about enough to sustain you?”

“Oh, but isn’t it obvious?” Chrysalis grinned, parasitic needle teeth glimmering in the hints of light, “Your brother.”

The denial grew, as well as a suddenly bubbling rage. It wasn’t one he could hold back, and it wasn’t one he wanted to hold back. He smacked her away.

“Don’t be ridiculous, that traitor proved beyond my care a long time ago. Why would he ever matter to me?”

“How about you don’t be ridiculous,” Chrysalis shot back, shaking her hoof with a scowl, cruel smile gone for the moment, “I’ve caught you staring into that ball more than a couple of times, and I doubt you’re waiting for the old fool to keel over and die. You certainly seem the type to finish him off yourself.”

“And reveal myself to that pony he’s with? Absolutely not, it would ruin Grogar’s plans.”

“Since when did you care about Grogar’s plans?”

“Since when did you care about my feelings?”

“Did you forget about the part where I said I was feeding off you?”

He hesitated arguing at that, momentarily off guard by the obvious statement before rewording, “Then why does it matter to you if I can’t help but care about my brother?”

“There we go, an admittance of weakness,” She grinned, “As much as I appreciate the easy meal, it’s not befitting of a creature like you to show such a weakness.”

“If it’s not befitting of me to care, I’d hate to know how you feel about your Changelings.”

Her expression turned sour again, a sharp retort on her tongue, but a shrill cry made her bite it.

“Tirek!”

He let out a cry of annoyance, turning to see a certain filly behind him.

“What now?”

“I grabbed my blanket myself,” She said, snuggling herself within a haphazardly put together scrap of fabric.

“Did you really need to come over here to announce that?”

“No, but Grogar’s home and he wants you both in the main room. I thought you might want to know that.”

Catching a glimpse of Chrysalis stiffening up beside him, he quickly replied, “We’ll be out in a moment.”

She wandered off with a nod, likely not far. Before, Grogar’s constant absences had been an annoyance. But after his recent show of power, they’d all developed a fear of being around the ram, even if none would admit it.

“Tell him I died.”

Chrysalis especially.

“Absolutely not, I would never risk myself for your sake.”

“Coward.”

“Speak for yourself.”

No more words were exchanged, the two of them steeling themselves as they left the room. As expected, Cozy was right outside, and she fluttered onto Tirek’s back. He did nothing but twitch at the contact, leading them all into the main room. Grogar was at the table, peering into his eye. Tirek wondered if he’d been watching them.

“Grogar,” He spoke to get his attention, but the only sign he was being listened to was a pair of perked ears, “Is there anything we can do for you?”

“Not quite yet,” Grogar answered, swinging a hoof to rid of the vision he was looking into, “Perhaps in a few days. I’m sure you’ll be happy to know that my plan is coming together quite nicely.”

“You mean our plan, right?” Chrysalis demanded, unmoving from her place behind Tirek, “The plan you dragged us into, that hasn’t made any obvious progress, and that you haven’t told us a thing about?”

“If that’s how you’d like to put it, then yes.” He began to approach them, and she flinched away at the movement, “I was simply waiting for a final team player to make her appearance, though I’m afraid she’s a bit stuck at the moment.”

“A new team player?” Her gaze was doubtful, but hesitant, “Who else of note remains in Equestria?”

“Likely a creature you’ve never heard of, Equestrians try far too hard to bury the past,” Grogar spat, earning a look of unamusement from the fallen queen, “I question if I should even tell you at all.”

“You dragged us into this mess, the least you could do is have the decency to tell us what we need to know!”

“Peh, fine.” He returned to his eye, motioning for his underlings to follow. A vision quickly made itself known, of a large red crystal in a blizzard, “There we go.”

The three of them stared into the eye, a bit too intently, trying to figure out what they were looking at. After a moment, Chrysalis and Tirek glanced at each other in confusion, and Cozy Glow hopped onto the table. She tapped the orb.

“Uh, Grogar?” She said, catching his already given attention, “That’s a rock.”

“A prison, actually.” Somehow he didn’t sound annoyed, though his tone shifted as he continued “Created by the former ruler of the Crystal Empire, to contain one of my creations.”

“You mean Sombra?”

“No.”

“Wow, that was a super long time ago.”

“Aren’t most of your surviving creations imprisoned?” Tirek asked, “You have many, and I’m sure this isn’t a guessing game, so which is it?”

Grogar grinned, manipulating the eye until a shape began to take form within. It was indescribable at first, simply a shadow alive, but as it writhed and rippled, it became distinct. Something about it was equine in shape, but at the same time, very wrong. It was far too skinny, it’s legs too long, and its wings were unusual. Jagged teeth jutted out of a muzzle that was far too long, with hollowed glowing eyes.

Tirek and Chrysalis stepped back as it formed, looks of discomfort on their faces. Cozy didn’t seem to notice, only tilting her head curiously at the monsters within.

“Windigoes? Don’t they just show up when disharmony happens?”

“Though your description is correct, these are not Windigoes,” Grogar explained, looking to the elders behind her with a grin, “Perhaps you should ask your friends what they know.”

Tilting her head, Cozy turned. Though it wasn’t the first time she’d seen either of them frightened, it struck her as odd that they’d be afraid of something as simple as this. Chrysalis seemed particularly on edge.

“You’re scared of these? What are they?”

“Umbrum,” Chrysalis scowled, “A breed far more deserving of being called ‘vermin’ than I.”

“Never heard of ‘em.”

“Perhaps because their numbers had dwindled long before even I was born,” Tirek added, gazing down at the vision, “I’m surprised there’s even any left.”

“There shouldn’t be any left,” Chrysalis spat, any trace of fear gone and replaced with rage as she glared at Grogar, “I refuse to help if they’re involved.”

“I don’t recall giving you a choice.”

There was no anger to his tone, but she silenced herself regardless. Best not to argue, as much as she wanted to, especially with that stupid grin on his face.

“Okay, they’re ugly and Chrysalis hates them,” Cozy said, breaking her from her spiteful thoughts, “But that’s like almost every creature in Equestria, can someone please tell me what these ‘Umbrals’ are?”

Umbrum,” Chrysalis corrected, keeping her glare on Grogar, “Are a race of shadow ponies who feed on pain and fear. They were the primary threat of the Changelings, and it’s well known to us just how many hives they eradicated.”

“They were also notorious for their trickery,” Tirek added, “At least according to old texts that made it to my homeland, it wasn’t unheard of for them to whisk away creatures and replace them with their own. I’d say they’re quite similar to Changelings in that regard.”

“They are nothing like us!” Chrysalis spat, causing Tirek to jolt back, “They drove my kind to starve, and for that I say they deserved their extinction!”

Cozy snickered, “An extinction that didn’t stick, apparently.”

“I suppose some of them managed to hide away. A pity, really.” She continued to keep eye contact with Grogar, though the old sheep showed little emotion to her outburst. She was beginning to have a harder time holding back, and was seconds from spitting in his face before Tirek pushed her away.

“May I ask what it is you need them for?” he asked, “Are we not enough?”

“Pah, my throne was taken by the ponies centuries ago,” Grogar spat, as if insulted by the question, “Do you really think I’d fully rely on the likes of you? A weakened Centaur, a fallen Queen of Vermin, a worthless child, and a manipulated king? You truly have little to offer me.”

Tirek covered Cozy’s mouth before she could retort, and shot a glare at Chrysalis.

“So why did you free us?”

“I said little to offer, not nothing. Your roles will be filled in due time.”

Chrysalis cried out in frustration and turned away.

“I’m not sure how you expect to keep our loyalty if you keep so many secrets,” Tirek stated, allowing his frustration to show, “What’s to stop us from abandoning you?”

“You’re a smart little group, you know exactly why you can’t abandon me,” Grogar’s voice held no malice, but his underlings knew better, “But if you must know, you’re still of use to me. Shape shifters are invaluable, and it never hurts to have a bit of extra magic draining muscle.”

“Hey!” Cozy Glow hopped into his view, “Don’t forget me!”

Grogar scowled at the filly, brushing her away with a hoof. She fell off the table. “Your use is uncertain.”

“And what of Sombra?” Chrysalis asked, sceptical, “You’re still interested in him, aren’t you? What purpose does he serve?”

“Many, he is my link to the Umbrum after all.”

For a moment, Chrysalis’ was annoyedly confused. Her ears pinned back, scepticism worse, until it finally clicked. She wanted to be angry, but was more surprised than anything.

“You can’t be serious.”

“I’ve never been one for jokes, have I?”

“No, but you’re known for cruelty, and this is certainly one of the cruelest jokes I’ve ever been the victim of.”

“I am being entirely serious,” Grogar assured, “Sombra’s magic is a very important piece of my plan, but his attitude is one I could do without.”

“So you decided to allow him to fester in the ponies’ friendship? How pathetic.”

“It’s convenient enough, is it not?” Grogar rose from his seat at the table, wandering over to one of his bookshelves and scanning them, “Princess Twilight will not harm him, and I don’t have to listen to his insatiable ego. I can call upon him as soon as needed.”

He grabbed a thick magic book, as well as a scroll, skimming through. It didn’t take long to find what he needed, and with that he tossed them onto the table. Upon the yellowed pages of the book was an exaggerated drawing of him, as well as his bell.

“We’ll need to find this first, of course.”

“We?” Chrysalis questioned.

“But why?” Tirek asked, more willing to elaborate, “You’ve already shown to be powerful, why go through the trouble of finding your bell?”

“There’s nothing wrong with a bit of extra magic, now is there?” He asked, sure to leave out some very important details, “And yes, ‘we’. You three will finally have the honor of joining me on one of my outings.”

Chrysalis scowled at this, while Tirek raised a brow curiously, asking, “So, where exactly is this bell of yours, anyway?”

“Hidden behind a magic barrier, in one of the most uninhabitable places in Equestria,” Grogar explained, unrolling the scroll. It was a map, and an old one at that. Grogar set his hoof at the top, where the Crystal Empire would’ve been in the current date. In its place was a great mountain, with a warning written in Old Poneish beside it, “Mt. Everhoof.”

“Oh, how grand,” Chrysalis muttered, “More snow.”

Cozy hollered in joy from her unseen place on the floor, “Yay, more snow!”

“You have three days to prepare yourself for our excursion,” Grogar said, once again lifting himself from his seat and turning away, this time to return to his own quarters, “So you better be ready.”

Waiting until he was out of sight, Cozy Glow hopped back onto Tirek’s back. He sighed in annoyance, though she wasn’t sure if it was at her this time.

“Well, at least we’re actually going to be doing something for once.”

Author's Note:

Every time I acknowledge the canon S9 for this, I grow a little more spiteful.