• Published 9th Aug 2019
  • 6,293 Views, 60 Comments

Look In The Mirror To Find the Truth - redandready45



How did Sunset go from Queen Bee to a sadsack almost overnight? Applejack decides to find out.

  • ...
12
 60
 6,293

Honesty's Reward (Rewrite)

Sunset was awoken by the sound of her alarm clock. She looked at the alarm clock and groaned, seeing that was 6:00 AM. She hated getting up early and on a Saturday to boot.

Applejack told her that the early hours were the best time to work, when the sun wasn't so hot.

But still, Sunset wasn't used to doing manual labor, let alone farm work. She'd enjoyed luxury as a student of the Princess. She'd enjoyed a relatively comfortable life in this world after wisely investing her gold and gem money. The selfish part of her brain made her want to stay, but it was pushed away by the voice of Applejack warning her that she had only chance to make it up to them.

With a tired yawn, Sunset forced herself off of the bed. She tiredly went over to take a shower. She stayed in there longer then she should've mostly because she was nervous. Nervous because she had to work for the family she sabotaged. Work for the girl she bullied and threatened for two years. Nervous because she was treading on thin ice, and she believe a single mistake would be the end of her.

It took every bit of willpower to for Sunset to leave the comforting warmth of the shower. She'd been so nervous, she stayed in the shower for almost 30 minutes. She put on a t-shirt. pair of jeans, and old sneakers. They seemed appropriate for someone who was going to get their hands dirty on a farm.

She packed all the items Applejack wanted into a purple gym bag: a bottle of water, a hat to protect her head from the sun, sunscreen, insect repellent and, for some reason, pajamas. With one last heavy sigh, Sunset forced herself out of her apartment.


At 7:00, a red barn and vast fields covered with apples came into her vision, revealing she had arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. She drove her motorcycle onto a dirt road that was marked as the entry way for visitors.

The white sign in front read "Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres." Despite being delightfully quaint, the sign didn't make the former unicorn feel particularly welcome. She pulled up to the barn, and saw Applejack standing in front with her arms crossed. Sunset parked her motorcycle and approached the blonde-farmer.

"Hey Applejack," Sunset greeted with a forced smile,.

Applejack stared at Sunset in a particularly joyless way. "You'll be working in the field." Applejack sounded less like a friend, and more like an irate manager.

"So, I'm going to be picking apples?" Sunset asked in a less enthusiastic tone.

Applejack shook her head. "There's more to being a farmer then just picking apples. We're trying to create new cropland somewhere. So you'll be spending the next few hours clearing the land of sticks and weeds."

"OK, sure," Sunset said with a shrug. "That shouldn't be too hard."

Sunset followed Applejack to the field she needed to clear. Applejack brought a shovel, a few water bottles, and a rake, while Sunset was carrying a whole box of trash bags. Applejack gave Sunset several instructions as they walked.

"So when you fill up a bag, you put your load into yellow dumpster for compost. If the bag breaks, keep it with you so we can throw it away properly."

The grassland, which was littered with old grass, dead leaves, sprawling weeds, sticks, garbage, and stumps was about 12 acres of land. Sunset blanched at the size

"I have to do all this," Sunset complained.

"Yep."

Sunset moaned in dismay. "You've got to be kidding me," Sunset whined, until she saw the hard look from Applejack. "Sorry," Sunset said with a sigh.

"I understand sugar cube," Applejack said with a roll of her eyes. "Actually having to work is beneath someone as special as you." Sunset flinched at the caustic tone. Applejack gestured with her arm. "Now go on, get to work." Sunset took the trash bags, gloves, and shovel and began pulling all the weeds and old grass. "I've got to check on the pigs," Applejack said, walking away with even bothering to greet her.

Sunset looked confused at Applejack leaving her alone. But just when she started to pull weeds, she saw a small shadow over her. She looked up and saw Big Macintosh looming over her.

"Hey, Big Mac," Sunset said awkwardly. "What's going-,"

"Let me tell you something Shimmer." Sunset flinched at the hidden rage in the otherwise calm expression on his voice. When you pulled your little stunt, we lost a lot of customers and not just the school. Because of you, we couldn't afford the braces that Apple Bloom needed." Sunset flinched again at Big Mac's angered tone. "We had to also give up our family vacation to pay off our mortgage, and Granny had to come out of retirement and work in the cafeteria to make ends meet." His fists clenched. "Frankly, as far as anyone is concerned, you were already a demon before you put on that stupid grin."

Sunset flinched at the accusation, but defended herself anyways. "And I paid you guys back," Sunset protested. "With inter-,"

Big Mac stopped on the ground near Sunset with his big, heavy boot, spooking the fire-haired girl. "SHUT UP!" the red-skinned teenager yelled, his calm face twisted into unmistakable anger. It was then that Sunset remembered that even though Applejack's brother was quiet, he was strong enough to snap someone in two. Sunset noticed the veins in his massive biceps bulging. Sunset felt herself shivering with fear.

"For two years, you've treated us like we were just a bunch of dumb hillbillies who can't count to four. You think we just sit around drinking moonshine, sitting in rocket chairs, playing banjo music." The vein on Big Mac's forehead revealed how much those insults stung. "But to keep this farm running, especially since Granny had to take an extra job because of you, I have to take online business and law courses, do accounting, negotiate contracts, and inventory. On top of chores, deliveries, and taking care of my sisters. I don't any time for myself because of you and your stupidity." Sunset swallowed from both guilt and fear.

Big Mac took a deep breath. "So when Applejack said you were coming to work here, I argued with her for an hour and said she was being a fool. As did Granny and Apple Bloom," Big Mac barked. "Apple Bloom remembers all the nasty things you called her and her friends. My sister lost so much when you nearly sent us to the poorhouse, and her classmates have to give up their field trips to pay off the damages you cause, you idiot!" Sunset again looked down in shame.

"Stand up!" Big Mac ordered. "So I can face you." Sunset slowly pulled herself up, and forced herself to look at Big Mac's angry eyes.

"Applejack begged us to give you a chance," Big Mac said. "And my late pappy said I shouldn't hold a grudge." He then crossed his arms across his chest. "But if you ever threaten to hurt my farm, and you ever betray my sister again, I'll beat you black and blue." She got into Sunset's face. "Do. You. Understand!"

"Yes, sir", Sunset said fearfully.

Big Mac's face calmed. He then gestured to the large field. "Get to work." Sunset sighed and went back to work, miserably digging weeds and grass out of the ground.


Sunset looked at her watch. It was 11:30. She looked and saw how much she had done. Only about two acres.

Sunset let out an exhausted and disappointed sigh. Her back hurt from having to bend over so many times, her legs hurt from so much standing and trips to dump the organic waste she collected, her clothes were drenched with sweat, dirt covered her body and clothes, and she had been pricked by more then a few weeds. Yet despite this, she wasn't even halfway done. If she wasn't so dehydrated, she would've cried.

"Sunset," Applejack called. Sunset turned around and saw the farmer walking toward her, with Big Mac in tow. "Let's see how you did."

"Look," Sunset said sadly. "I know I was supposed to clear this whole field, but it was so hard to dig out grass and weeds. I'm sorry I couldn't finish it but please don't-,"

"Whoa there sugar cube," Applejack said, holding up her hands and looking at Sunset with a reassuring smile. "I didn't say clear the whole dang field. Even I couldn't do that." Sunset looked relieved. "I said, work hard and don't slack."

She glanced toward her brother. "Do you think she worked hard?" Applejack asked her brother.

"Yep," Applejack's brother said, albeit with a small smile.

"Did she slack or complain like a little harlot?"

"Nope."

"Sunset, we don't expect you to become a farmer overnight," Applejack again assured her. "I just wanted to see if you could put in an honest effort. And, from what Big Mac and I see, you did."

"Thanks," Sunset said with a grateful

"Now, for your next chore. You've got to fix the tractor and build a whole barn in an hour," Applejack said in a serious tone.
Sunset looked even more dismayed. "But-but, I don't know how to do either of those things," Sunset complained sadly. "There's got to be something else that I can-," she paused as she saw Applejack and Big Mac snickering.

"Just pullin' yer leg sugar cube," Applejack admitted. "Now its time for lunch." Sunset felt a smile on her face. Applejack trusted her enough to mess with her. That was a sign she was making some progress.


Sunset and the two eldest Apple Siblings walked into the barn house. The house was a good mixture of quaint country life and modern conveniences. Applejack saw Granny Smith, who gave her an odd eye.

"Hello Sunset," Granny Smith said with forced politeness. "Won't you come to join us for lunch?" Sunset saw the discomfort in Granny's eyes, and blessed the woman for her patience.

"Thank you Mrs. Smith," Sunset said with gratitude.

"Apple Bloom," the old lady called. "Lunch!" Sounds of footsteps came from the stairwell as the youngest Apple sibling came down to eat.

"Coming," Apple Bloom said cheerfully. Her faced blanched when she saw Sunset.

"Ah," Apple Bloom shouted "the demon!" Sunset frowned at that, while the rest of the family look dismayed.

"Apple Bloom," Applejack reprimanded. "We talked about this. Sunset isn't a-,"

"Why the he-hay is she doin' here," Apple Bloom shrieked. "She's a big meanie who almost destroyed the school." Sunset looked downcast, seeing the braces still in Apple Bloom's teeth at an age when they should've been removed.

"Apple Bloom," Granny said in a warning tone. The freshman jumped. "I know Sunset acted like a harlot. But she worked hard to make it up to us. You will be nice to her, or you don't get to eat." Apple Bloom sighed and calmed down, but the former unicorn realized Apple Bloom still had it in for her.
To her greater shame, the lunch lady she wrote off as some senile loon was defending her and feeding her, despite the fact she hurt her business and bullied her grandchildren. That was enough to make Sunset feel guilt in her stomach.

The Apple family went into the dining room with forlorn Sunset following them.


After an hour of lunch, Sunset went back to work. For the next six hours, she picked apples, cleaned pig troughs, cleaned the chicken coop, and planted seeds.

By 6:30, when the sun began to set, Sunset was exhausted, filthy, and covered in sweat. She heard the sound of boots on grass, and looked up to see Applejack approaching her.

"Sunset," Applejack said with an odd tone. Sunset craned her neck up to see the girl, who looked like she was trying not to smile. "There is...one more thing I want you to do." Sunset wanted to sigh in frustration at more work, but she realized that would sound ungrateful to the girl who had every right to snub her. "Come into the house." Sunset tired got up, and followed Applejack into her home.


"So what's the last assignment?" Sunset asked Applejack. The former unicorn followed the farmer girl up to the second floor of the farmhouse. "Clean your room?"

"Yes," Applejack said with a sly smile. "But that comes after this chore."

"And what is that," Sunset asked. Applejack opened the door, her smile becoming undeniable. Sunset opened it, and could not believe what she saw.

This was Applejack's room. There were plastic bowls full of salty snacks, a couple of bottles of cola with a few plastic cups nearby, and some teen pop playing. She started to understand why Applejack said to bring pajamas.

"Your next chore," Applejack said, "is to have a slumber party with me." Sunset took in what Applejack said, and began to feel her eyes water.

"Sunset what's wrong?"

"Why are throwing me a party?" Sunset asked in a pained voice.

"Because that's what friends do," Applejack said in a kind, empathetic tone. "You worked hard today with no complaint. You've also paid me back. You've more than earned being my friend."

"But," Sunset said, still sounding insecure. "Isn't a slumber party too soon?"

"As they say, we've got to hit the ground running," Applejack said some enthusiasm. Sunset felt another smile of gratitude form on her face. "Now get dressed. We've got some slumber partying to do." Sunset held back her tears, grabbed her gym bag, and went to the bathroom to change. When she emerged, she wore some purple sweat pants and a purple shirt. When she returned, she saw Applejack had changed from her farmer clothes into one piece pajamas that was blue with light blue spots.

"So, what do you want to do?" Sunset asked Applejack. The farmer girl put on a sly smile, reach behind her, and struck Sunset with a big pillow.

"Applejack," Sunset groaned playfully.

"This is what people do at slumber parties," Applejack said. Her smile became vicious. "Besides, smacking you with a pillow can help me get my anger out." Sunset looked at the tanned skin girl with a sly smile.

"Applejack, outside your window are a bunch of thieves!" Applejack turned around. With her back turned, Applejack took a blow to the head from Sunset's pillow.

"You're gonna get it now!" Applejack said playfully. The two had a pillow fight that was full of giggling and playful screams. For the first time in the past few days, Sunset felt genuinely happy.

She had a friend. Someone she could turn when she was upset. Someone she believed would be there for her.

It was good feeling. One Sunset hoped would never go away.

Comments ( 6 )

yeeeeeeeeeees. More of this. While I hate when poor sunny gets yelled at, I totally understand their anger.

Overall, well written! I liked it a lot. ^~^

This chapter was physically painful to read. Not because it’s badly written - quite the contrary, actually - but because it hurts to see Sunset get yelled at like that. Post-Fall Formal Sunset deserves it, of course, but she remains a fan favorite. So good job at making me feel sad.

On a side note, why does this story lack question marks? Every single question ends with an inappropriate period or exclamation mark.

10439751
The whole story description kinda spoiled the whole plot or story for me.

Login or register to comment