• Published 28th Jul 2019
  • 3,407 Views, 310 Comments

Romantic Mischief - TheHardie-Boy

  • ...
19
 310
 3,407

Time for a Wedding Part 1: Disagreements

“So let me get this straight,” said Starlight. “You want me to plan your bachelorette party while Jake goes to Sunset’s world to have his bachelor party?”

Starlight, Sunset, and Twilight were together in the castle, planning for Twilight and Jake’s upcoming wedding, four months after Jake’s proposal to Twilight.

“For the millionth time,” Twilight replied, looking through the resumes for the ministers. “It’s a bridal shower. I don’t want to wake up with a hangover, not knowing where I am on the day of my wedding.”

“Bridal shower, got it,” Starlight said as she went back to looking for possible locations. “I still think you two should just have the wedding here in the castle. The foyer’s more than large enough to hold that many ponies.”

“We’ve thought about it, but we want to look for other locations, just to be sure.”

Sunset was busy looking through catalogs from her home about infant care advice and tools. “Are you sure it’s a good idea for Jake to have his bachelor party at my place? It’s getting pretty close to where I shouldn’t be going through the portal.”

“It’ll be fine,” Twilight responded. “The wedding’s in just a little longer than a week, so as long as Jake knows where he is, nothing should go wrong.”

“You two still waiting till birth to find out the gender?” Starlight asked.

Sunset simply nodded.

She and all of her friends had come up with a temporary plan to deal with Sunset’s pregnancy. She would continue her everyday life in the human world for the first five months, coming to Equestria a bit more often to make sure the baby was healthy, and come back for the last four months to have the baby in Equestria. During that time period, Twilight insisted on being married to Jake before the baby was here, so the two could feel more like a real family, hence the rushed wedding planning.

Princess Celestia, as far as Sunset knew, didn’t know about Sunset’s pregnancy, and she wanted to keep it that way. She had just gained her trust and love back, and felt this would betray her trust yet again.

“Equestria to Sunset. You in there?” Starlight asked, getting Sunset’s attention.

“Hmm?”

“I asked you how the search for supplies and stuff for the baby is coming,” Starlight repeated.

Sunset tilted her head. “So-so. If anything, I still have no idea what to expect, but from what I’ve seen in movies, giving birth to this thing is gonna be painful.”

“Don’t worry. Cadence had to give birth to an alicorn. I don’t care if she is a princess, that’s an impressive feat. If anypony can pull that off, you’ll do just fine,” Twilight reassured.

Sunset chuckled. “I’ve still yet to meet the little rascal.”

“Should you be so lucky,” Starlight said under her breath.

“What?” asked Twilight.

“Nothing,” Starlight replied with a smile.


I was at Rarity’s boutique with Spike (no surprise) getting fitted for my tuxedo. Rarity was going a bit overboard with the measurements (still no surprise), declaring they all had the be perfect.

If I knew this was coming, I’d have let Twilight tell her friends about the wedding herself and hide in the closet until the day of.

Regardless, here I was, in the boutique, letting Rarity take my measurements while she and Spike made eyes at each other, often slowing her down...

She’s made clothes for me before; doesn’t she have my measurements memorized by now?

“Rarity, the tape measure’s starting to get tight!” I said.

Rarity blinked a few times and shook her head, loosening the tape measure around my waist. As she went to go write that down, I walked over to Spike and grabbed him by the frill.

“Outside until I’m done,” I said, dragging him along.

“Ow, ow, ow! Okay, okay, fine,” he said, slipping out of my grip and out the door.

The rest of the fitting went on fine, but as soon as I left, of course Spike went back inside. I just sighed and made my way to the castle.

Once there, I found Twilight, Starlight, and Sunset in the library, looking through catalogs.

“Hey, girls,” I greeted.

Without missing a beat or moving an inch, hey all said, “Hi, Jake,” in unison.

“Spike still at Rarity’s?” Sunset asked.

“Where else would he be?” I replied sarcastically.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’m happy for those two, but it’s been getting out of hoof lately. At this rate, he’ll be making googly eyes at her during the wedding.”

Starlight simply waved a hoof at her. “I happen to find it charming, kinda like how you and Jake were after...this.”

It was honestly true. Spike had loved Rarity for years without her noticing, just as Twilight had loved me without my noticing...

I shook it off and went to my room to drop off my jacket before joining them. “Whatcha lookin’ at?”

“Starlight and I are looking through catalogs for the wedding, and Sunset’s looking for stuff for the baby,” Twilight answered.

“Oh,” I replied, trying to show a bit of interest.

After a while though, I think it got obvious that I was bored.

“Jake, if you want, you could look through the seating arrangements,” Twilight offered, levitating the sheet of paper over to me.

“Alright,” I said with a bit of forced glee. I had no idea what I was supposed to do to prepare for this wedding except...well, show up, but I had no clue it took this much planning. In fact, if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure Twilight was coming up with a silverware arrangement.

I scooted over a bit and looked at the seating. Starlight and Sunset were at the alter, Starlight being the maid-mare of honor (because ponies) and Twilight insisting Sunset be up there as well in case she fainted. Spike would be up there as well as my best man (apparently, it’s “best mare” here in Equestria). In the front row was all of our friends, as well as the princesses and Shining Armor. The rest of the rows were filled with the citizens of Ponyville, some having to be put in certain spots due to their attitude or dealings with others. However, there was one thing that stuck out to me.

“Twilight, why aren’t your parents anywhere on here?” I asked.

My fiancé just looked at me with confusion. “I didn’t think you’d want to invite them.”

“That’s your call though,” I corrected.

“Oh,” Twilight replied. “Still though, I’m not sure inviting them is a good idea.”

“Twi, they’re your parents. How do you think they’ll respond when they found out that they’ve missed your wedding day?”

“Probably the same way they’d react if they find out we were getting married in the first place.”

“You don’t know that,” I countered.

“Really?” Twilight asked, her voice raising. “Do I need to remind you how they treated you the last time they saw you?”

I rolled my eyes. “I didn’t like that either, but still, they’re your parents. The least you could do is give them an invitation and see if they turn it down.”

“Why don’t we get a second opinion then, shall we? Starlight, Sunset, what do you think?” Twilight asked.

The two unicorns in question looked at us and froze like deer in headlights. Before either of them said a word, Starlight put her hoof over Sunset’s and teleported them both away.

“You know what, if you wanna push your parents away like this, that’s fine with me,” I said, storming out of the library. I entered my room and sat down.

Twilight and I never fought like this, and we were supposed to get married soon. Maybe this was a mistake...No! I loved Twilight more than anything. I just want her to be happy.

I grabbed my jacket, a few bits, a spare wedding invitation, and left the castle for the train station. I was going to the one place I never thought I’d go to again.

“One ticket to Canterlot please,” I told the ticketmaster.


Twilight lay on her bed, thinking about the argument she’d just had with Jake. How were the two supposed to get married of they fought over small details like this?

And since when was Jake even interested in details like this? Up until now, he’d left all of the planning to Twilight and her friends.

Twilight’s thought’s were interrupted by a knock at her door.

“Who is it?” she called out, kinda hoping it wouldn’t be Jake.

Luckily, the door opened, and Starlight peaked inside. “Everything alright?”

Twilight sighed. “Yeah, I’m just trying to cool down after that argument with Jake.”

Starlight opened the door a bit more, walking all the way inside. “Sunset went back home for now. Sorry for teleporting away like that. I just didn’t wanna get caught in the middle of your fight.”

“It’s fine. I’m still a little surprised Jake and I even had a fight, especially so close to our wedding,” Twilight replied, her head resting on the bed. “We never fight like that, except for when he wants me to stop feeling sorry for him.”

“Well, he did have a bit of a point,” Starlight pointed out.

Twilight tilted her head. “I know. I think that was just leftover anger at my parents for how they treated Jake.”

“Either that, or you two are going through your pre-wedding fight phase,” Starlight corrected.

“Huh?” Twilight asked.

“You know, when two loving ponies feel they should finally tie the knot and get married, only to start noticing things about each other that drives them crazy, like Jake’s extreme affection,” Starlight explained.

Twilight lifted a hoof to her cheek in thought. “I’ve never thought of it like that.”

“Yeah, the most you can do is try to make it to the wedding, and all of that goes away,” Starlight added.

Twilight nodded. “You know what, you’re right. I just have to focus on making this wedding the best I can for us. Thanks, Starlight. You know, you’d make a good guidance counselor.”

Starlight blinked before breaking out in a fit of laughter. “Me as a guidance counselor. Nice one, Twilight.”


I’d arrived at Twilight’s parents’ home, wedding invitation in hand. Summoning all the courage I could, I knocked on the door.

The door opened, revealing Night Light, Twilight’s father. His face contorted with anger, but I lifted my hand before he could speak.

“Before you say anything, I’m just here to give you this,” I said, handing him the invitation.

He took it in his magic and opened it. “Honey, can you come here for a minute?”

Soon enough, Night Light was joined by Twilight’s mother, Twilight Velvet. “What’s he doing here?”

“He came to deliver this to us,” Night Light answered, holding up the letter. The two of them set their eyes on in, Velvet gasping as she read it.

“A-A w-wedding?” she stuttered.

Night Light glared lightly at me. “She really does love you, doesn’t she?”

I nodded. “And I love her, and nothing you two say will change that. Twilight won’t admit it, but she wants you to be there. I just hope you two can get over yourselves long enough to come through for her.”

With that, I turned to walk away.

Before I got too far, however, Velvet called out, “Wait!”

I turned around.

“Does she really want us to be there?”

I nodded.

“And you’d never do anything to harm her, in any way, shape, or form?”

“Of course not,” I replied.

The two of them shared a glance before Night Light spoke up.

“We’ll be there, but if you are so much as one minute late, you will regret it for the rest of your life,” he told me.

“I know,” I replied. “Your daughter is an amazing mare. I love her more than anything, and I’d never do anything to hurt her.”

“Alright, you’ll just have to prove that to us, won’t you?” Velvet nearly threatened.

“Looks like I will.”

Author's Note:

Well, we’re getting close to the wedding. I’ll still accept submissions for the story, but not having to do with the wedding itself or anything after. Keep in mind this is season seven too