• Published 28th Jul 2019
  • 3,399 Views, 310 Comments

Romantic Mischief - TheHardie-Boy

  • ...
19
 310
 3,399

Going to the Gala Part 3: Promises

Author's Note:

Hey, guys
This was way harder to write than I thought. I know some of you may find this to be a bit of a let down after the last chapter, but I’ll explain anything necessary in the comments. I don’t know for sure what my next big project will be, but I’ll think of something

For now, though, just enjoy the chapter

P.S. I meant to get this out this morning, but I forgot, so...sorry about that

As Jake ran outside, Twilight was left in confusion. He said he had to go and...left. He did seem to bet distracted by something before he did though, the more she thought about it. The question was, what?

“Twilight, what was that? What’s going on with Jake?” Starlight asked, coming over with Sunset.

“I-I’m not sure. He just...left,” Twilight responded.

Sunset looked to the door Jake had just gone through. “Think we should we go after him?”

Both unicorns looked at Twilight for an answer. “Not quite yet. We should find out what’s wrong first.”

“Good idea,” Starlight agreed.

“So, split up and meet up when we have an answer?” Sunset asked.

“Sounds good,” Twilight said.

With that, the three mares went in different directions.


Starlight walked around the dance floor, looking for Spike. Other than Twilight, Spike knew Jake best, so he would likely know what was going on.

“He just looked so...weird. I can’t believe Princess Twilight was dancing with him,” said a nearby voice that made Starlight pause.

Starlight looked to where the voice was coming from and saw two mare earth ponies conversing.

“I know right. Those...things on his hooves were so dumb,” said the one with the dark blue coat.

“And his mane was so short, I could almost see his scalp,” replied the other one with a light yellow coat and a feathery hat.

Starlight nearly blasted the two to kingdom came, but wisely decided against it. Instead, she slowly, carefully levitated a nearby pepper shaker with her magic, unscrewed the lid, and poured the contents into the mares’ drinks.

The two went to take a sip, but when they tasted their drinks, they instantly spat it out and cried out in disgust.

Starlight walked away with a pretty satisfied smirk on her face.


After about five minutes of looking around, Sunset was getting nowhere. All she had managed to find was a tipped over flower vase, courtesy of her’s truly.

Luckily, after a while, she came across a waiter on the ground, his suit covered in wine.

“Here, let me help you up,” Sunset said, offering a hoof.

The waiter took it and stood up. “Thank you. I have no idea what that thing was, but it certainly needs a crash course in basic etiquette!”

Sunset didn’t quite let go of the water’s hoof. “E-Excuse me?”

“Some kind of animal wasn’t looking where it was going, and knocked me over,” the waiter explained, trying to get Sunset to let go.

“Animal?!” Sunset let go, only to grab onto the waiter’s suit with a scowl. “For your information, that was my boyfriend!”

The waiter tried to respond, but it just came out as shaky mumbling.

Before Sunset could do anything to actually hurt the waiter, she remember where she was. She let go and gave the waiter a shove, and mumbled, “You’re not worth it.”

Sunset walked off with a bit of a scowl.


“Princess Celestia, Jake just ran out of the ballroom in a panic. Do you have any idea why?” Twilight asked as she approached her former mentor.

The aforementioned princess was currently talking with a pegasus noble with a white coat.

“As a matter of fact, Twilight, I think I do. This here is Mist,” Princess Celestia introduced, though she had a small scowl on her face.

“Ah, Princess Twilight, I was hoping to speak to you,” Mist said with a heavy accent.

“Umm, what about?” Twilight asked.

“That...creature you were dancing with. That was highly uncouth of you,” Mist said in an extremely condescending tone.

Twilight, taken highly aback, grit her teeth and asked, “P-Pardon?”

“It looked like a griffon with no wings or feathers. I don’t know anypony who would even entertain the thought of even speaking with such a creature, let alone dance with one.” Mist turned his gaze to Princess Celestia and added, “Or invite one to the Grand Galloping Gala.”

With a deep breath to suppress her anger, Princess Celestia asked, “Does that answer your question, Twilight?”

Twilight, with her eyes closed, nodded. She then walked up to Mist, opened her eyes, and asked, “Say, Mist, what is it you do for a living?”

“Air patrol, obviously,” Mist scoffed.

“So...you do a lot of flying?” Twilight asked, her horn aglow.

“Y-Yes, I do. Why is it you ask?” Mist asked.

Instead of answering verbally, Twilight picked up Mist in her magic, and threw him across the room, into a large cake.

Twilight turned to Princess Celestia and said, “I’m sorry. I should probably go apologize to him before I leave.”

Before Twilight could walk away, Princess Celestia put a hoof on her shoulder. “He is one of the most annoying, condescending nobles in Canterlot. Tell me, Twilight, how good did it feel to do that?”

Twilight, taken by surprise, couldn’t help but blush. “Honestly, really good. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go find Jake.”

“Of course, and tell him he has my sincerest apologies,” Princess Celestia replied as Twilight ran off.


A few minutes later, Twilight, Starlight, and Sunset all ran toward each other as soon as they saw each other.

“I think I know what’s going on,” they all said in unison.

“Wait, one at a time,” Twilight said.

The three of them paused before they all spoke again at once. “Jake feels unwelcome here.”

They all groaned, also in unison.

Starlight looked to Twilight. “Has anything like this ever happened with Jake before?”

“Yeah, you’ve known him the longest,” Sunset added.

“Well...” Twilight replied. “There was this one time, but...”

“What? What happened?” Starlight asked, getting anxious.

“It was almost four years ago, just a little after Jake and I first met. Spike had warmed up to him pretty quick but...” Twilight trailed off.

“But what? Twilight, we need to know what’s going if we’re gonna be able to help Jake,” Sunset said.

“My friends...didn’t exactly trust him right away,” Twilight finally admitted.

“What? I thought you’ve all been friends for years,” Starlight countered.

“And my friends got along with him just fine,” Sunset added.

“Well...Jake himself was really different back then. He was closed off...secluded,” Twilight explained, much to Starlight’s and Sunset’s shock. “Still though, he took it personally. Eventually, my friends, and most of Ponyville for that matter saw he wasn’t much different from them. That was when he started to really become friendly.”

“So when he heard everypony here saying those horrible things about him, they must have made some bad memories resurface,” Sunset concluded.

“Seems like it,” Twilight agreed.

“Well then, what are we waiting for? Let’s go talk to him,” Sunset said, walking toward the door Jake had ran out of.

“Hold on, Sunset. Jake’s...stubborn when it comes to dealing with things,” Twilight said, stepping in front of Sunset.

“Yeah, I remember. He doesn’t like others trying to help him deal with his issues,” Starlight agreed.

“Girls, I’ve been where Jake is now. There’s no way he can work through this on his own,” Sunset countered, trying to get passed Twilight.

“I know, but Jake...” Twilight sighed. “He thinks he’s insignificant.”

“What?!” Sunset nearly shouted. “That’s ridiculous. ‘Insignificant’ is the last thing I’d call him!”

“I know, and I get it. But...how can I put this?” Twilight responded. “Most of the time, Jake thinks too much about others and too little of himself. He puts other in front of him, which is good, but he never thinks about himself.”

“But we can’t just leave him out there,” Sunset pleaded.

“I know, but it’s not like we can do anything. Jake’ll just tell you to forget about him and have a good time without him,” Starlight countered.

“Then what do we do, just let him suffer out there?” Sunset asked. “It’s just not fair. He always does his best to help others around him, but there’s nothing we can do to help him? We have to do something.”

Twilight and Starlight looked at each other, realizing Sunset had a point.

“He’s such a good boyfriend, but we never show him how much we love him,” Twilight admitted.

“He always knows what to say and do to make us feel better when we’re feeling down, but now that he’s feeling down...we don’t know what to do,” Starlight agreed.

The two of them looked back at Sunset.

“You’re completely right, Sunset. We have to do something to help Jake,” Twilight finally said.


I was sitting in Canterlot’s garden. Usually, I’d highly admire it’s natural beauty, but I couldn’t right now.

The things those ponies said...I thought I was finally past this. I thought ponies didn’t mind my appearance. I thought...I was welcome in Equestria.

Then again, it’s not like that was the first time that’s ever happened.

The other kids from my old school:

”Jakey’s an orphan~
Jakey’s an orphan~”

My first few guardians before I went to my first orphanage:

”Oh my God, Jake, I get it; your parents died. But that was five years ago! Get over it already!”

Even here in Equestria a few years back:

”Ah don’t know, Twilight. He’s just gotta be hidin’ somethin’.”

“Yeah, and he eats meat too. Meat, Twilight!”

I don’t know why I was so surprised at those ponies.

I was brought out of my thoughts by a snapping twig. I looked over to where the noise came from and wiped my eyes. Twilight, Starlight, and Sunset were all standing in front of me.

“W-What do you girls want?” I asked, trying my best not to sound rude.

“We heard what those ponies in there said, and we’re sorry,” Twilight said, walking up next to to me.

I scooted away a little and replied, “What are you sorry for. It’s not like you can do anything about it.”

“Because we love you, Jake. And we can’t stand to see you get hurt like that,” Starlight answered.

“And you’re right, we can’t change their minds, but that doesn’t matter to us or your friends,” Sunset added.

Once again, I turned away from the three mares. “Look, don’t worry about me. Just go have fun.”

Starlight and Twilight stayed silent, but Sunset marched in front of me. I tried to turn away again, but she didn’t let me.

“No,” Sunset declared.

“No?” I repeated.

“No, I can’t have fun while you’re out here sulking,” Sunset explained.

I ran a hand down Sunset’s cheek. “Look, Sunset, I appreciate-“

“No! I’m not letting you stay out here like this. I couldn’t call myself your girlfriend if I just dismissed your problems!” Sunset interrupted.

“Sunset, really, it’s okay,” I said.

Sunset put both of her hooves on my shoulders. “No it’s not! You’re always the one who’s there for us! For once in your life, let us help you. You’re one of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. I can’t just let you get hurt and do nothing about it. Not after all you’ve done for me!”

“W-What do you mean ‘all I’ve done for you’?” I asked.

“Wha-What do I mean?! How about reuniting me with my surrogate mother?!” Sunset suggested.

“Or being my friend when I thought I wasn’t good enough for that,” Starlight added.

“Or standing up to my parents for me, even after they treated you so horribly,” Twilight added as well.

I felt more tears roll down my face as I looked at my three marefriends. I tried to say something, but I was speechless.

“The truth is, Jake...we don’t deserve you. You’ve always been there for us, and we’ve never been able to make it up to you,” Sunset stated.

“And yet you ask nothing in return, and love us anyway. We don’t care if you look different. If anything, we love that about you too,” Twilight agreed.

“Those ponies in there may not like the way you look, but who cares? You’re nicer, smarter, and way more considerate than any of them combined. We’re lucky to have someone like you as our boyfriend,” Starlight added.

I looked at my herd. There were tears running down their faces as well.

“Please, Jake, let us try to make all of that up to you. Let us make you feel better,” Twilight pleaded.

That was all it took. I embraced the three of them in one, big hug. I let all of my emotions run free as they returned the hug. “You don’t have to.”

Twilight pulled away and looked into my eyes. “Jake, seriously-“

“Because you already have. You think you don’t deserve me? You think you don’t make up in return how much I love you? You do, just by being here. The truth is...you three let me know just how much you love me everyday, just by being with me, and I could never ask you to do anything more,” I lamented.

The three of us embraced once again, and we stayed out in the garden for the rest of the night, crying, laughing, and loving each other.


It was two days later, and we were back at Twilight’s castle.

Sunset had just said her goodbyes to Princess Celestial and was going back to her world today, and I was seeing her off.

“Tell them all I said ‘hi’,” I told her before giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“I will, but before I go, I want you to make me a promise,” Sunset responded.

“Anything,” I said.

Sunset took one of my hands in her hooves and looked my in the eyes. “Promise me that, whenever you feel down, let your friends help you. Don’t tell them they’re above helping you. Let them try to cheer you up. Do it for me, okay?”

I nodded. “Okay.”

Sunset kissed me on the cheek and walked through the portal, giving me one last wink before walking through.

“I will, Sunset Shimmer,” I said, doubting she could actually hear me.

I walked out into the hall and found Twilight and Starlight in the library, going through a friendship lesson.

“Sorry if I’m interrupting anything,” I said.

“It’s fine, Jake. What’s going on?” Twilight asked.

“I just wanted to say...thank you, for loving me,” I said.

The two of them smiled.

“I’ll get out of your way now,” I said, leaving the library.

“Jake wait!” Starlight called.

I walked back into the library. “Yeah?”

“We want to give you this,” Twilight said, levitating a necklace toward me with her magic.

I took the necklace in my hands and saw it was actually a locket. I opened it and saw three pictures: one of Twilight, one of Starlight, and one of Sunset. They were all smiling, and I could see their love for me in their eyes.

I felt my emotions getting the best of me again, so I put the locket around my neck, looked at the two mares, and said, “I’ll never take it off.”