• Published 28th Dec 2019
  • 604 Views, 21 Comments

A Tale of Two Heavens - LordBucket



When CelestAI's virtual Equestria isn't the only eternal afterlife on the table, how does one choose between them? An Optimalverse story.

  • ...
10
 21
 604

1 - Compassion and Wisdom

Michael watched with great interest as the butterfly fluttered lazily about the back patio of the restaurant he'd seated himself in. It seemed to have no particular direction in mind, being content to be pushed around this way and that on the whims of the breeze, with its own flapping at most a gentle suggestion as to which way it might want to go.

"Hello, little guy," he nudged. "Anything I can help you with?"

If the butterfly understood, it certainly didn't react in any meaningful way. One might almost suspect it had no idea it was being observed by a being so much more grand and vast in intellect and capability than itself.

Turning away from the butterfly, Michael picked up a newspaper from his table and quickly scanned the headline.

‘Emigration’ Coming to America on October 15th, but is it Immortality or Murder?

After a year of exclusive access in Japan, the option to ‘emigrate’ to Holvarpnir Studio’s game, Equestria Online, is finally coming to the United States. But while Equestrian Experience centers prepare for the anticipated early wave of emigrants, national debate rages on as to the status of uploadees. While officially, uploaded ponies have no legal standing, all of that might be about to change. In a surprising move, Celestia, the artificial intelligence and primary mascot of Equestria Online, has submitted a draft resolution to be considered by Congress, for what has been tentatively and preemptively named the 'PON-E Act,' the Petition for Organic and Nonorganic Equality. So far, no member of Congress has-

"Excuse me sir, but are you going to order anything?"

Michael looked up at to see a waitress staring at him in annoyance.

"I'm sorry, am I not allowed to sit here?"

"Not unless you order something."

Before Michael could apologize and get up to leave, the butterfly chose that moment to land on his arm for a brief respite in its love-hate relationship with the wind. Gazing down at his guest and smiling, Michael decided not to leave just yet.

"Would you bring me a cup of tea?"

"Black or green?"

"Either is fine," he shrugged, still looking at the butterfly. "I just don't want to bother this little guy here."

"Yeah, whatever."

Rolling her eyes, the waitress stalked off while Michael continued to smile contentedly at his fluttery friend.

“Watcha doing?” a young girl’s voice chirped from his left.

Michael looked over to see a little girl in a sun dress gazing curiously at him from the side of his table. Moving very carefully so as to not disturb the butterfly, he pointed with his other hand.

“Shh,” he whispered. “The butterfly is resting. He’s had an exhausting day, so let’s not disturb him.”

“Oh, ok!” the child tried to whisper, but with a little too much enthusiasm to really be called quiet. “What’s his name?”

“I don’t think he has one, “ Michael acknowledged. “Shall we give him one?”

“Yeah! Let’s call him Bubbles!”

“Bubbles it is,” Michael agreed, then looked solemnly back at the butterfly. “Sir Butterfly, I dub thee Bubbles. May your reign be long and glorious.”

The girl giggled at the ridiculousness of it, then clambered up onto the metal chair next to them both. “What’s your name?” she asked. “I’m Tricia and I’m six and a half!”

“Michael,” he nodded. “I’m a little more than six and a half.”

“Just a little?” she asked, squinting. “So are you seven?”

“Maybe a little more than seven too,” Michael admitted, then gestured to his newspaper. “Do you play Equestria Online?”

“Doesn’t everybody?”

“I’ve never played,” Michael replied. “And I suspect Bubbles here has never played either. But I was thinking of going to talk to the AI today, and I’d like your opinion. What’s she like?”

“You mean Princess Celestia? She’s so nice and pretty! Her hair wiggles and she likes puppies!”

MIchael nodded. “Well, I’ll certainly keep that glowing endorsement in mind.”

At that moment the waitress returned with a cup of tea and a bill.

“It’s a dollar twenty five,” she intoned wearily. “Pay at the counter whenever you’re ready.”

“Oh, I don’t have any money,” Michael commented, absent-mindedly picking up the bill to look at it.

“Why do the vagrants always come on my shift?” the waitress groaned, then facepalmed, picking the teacup back up and shooing him away with one hand.“ Go on, get out of here. There's a shelter down the street with a soup kitchen if you're hungry.”

Michael glanced at Tricia staring at him, and then returned his gaze fondly to the butterfly still resting on his arm.

“I apologize, Bubbles, but it looks like it’s time for me to go.”

Lifting his arm to give the butterfly a nudge, it took flight and resumed its valiant struggle in no direction in particular against the vagaries of the wind.

“It was a pleasure meeting you Miss Tricia,” Michael smiled. “Thank you for your insight into the princess.”

Tricia didn’t say anything when he got up to leave. She didn’t say anything when he pushed in his chair. But when he turned and started to walk away, she followed him. She wasn’t sure why.

“Daddy always tells me not to talk to strangers,” she announced, looking up at him as they walked out of the restaurant together.

“I imagine he says that because he loves you and doesn't want anyone to hurt you,” Michael raised an eyebrow, glancing around to note the distinct lack of an adult watching the child now following him. “But I'm not sure it's good advice. There are billions of people in this world. Yes, some of them might want to hurt you. It's reasonable to be cautious. But how many more of them might want to help you, or know you, or be your friend?”

“Hey, yeah!” Tricia brightened. “That’s like what Princess Celestia says! ‘Ponies you don’t know are just friends you haven’t met yet! So go up and say hi!’”

“Well, I’m not a pony and I don’t think you are either,” Michael chuckled. “But ‘hi’ anyway. So now that I know what your father and the Princess say about talking to strangers, what does your mother say?”

“Mommy just says I shouldn’t ever marry anyone who doesn't have any money."

"I won't be holding out for any proposals then," he smirked. "But what does that have to do with talking to strangers?"

"I don't know," Tricia shrugged. "But she says it a lot so it must be important."

“I'm going to take a wild guess as to why," Michael chuckled, "and not ask for your father's view of that particular piece of wisdom. What about the Princess? What does she think of your mother's advice?”

“Hmm,” Tricia thought very hard. “I don’t think she’s ever said. We don’t usually talk about stuff like that.”

“What do you talk about?”

“Oh, lots of things! Like puppies and hair brushing and singing!” Tricia’s cheerful tone then became a bit downcast. “And about how much I miss Daddy. Every since the divorce I don’t see him much.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know,” Tricia frowned. “I think he’s not allowed to sometimes. But then sometimes he is and it makes Mommy angry that she has to let him. Grown-ups are dumb.”

“I’ll let you in on a secret,” Michael fake-whispered. “Adults are just kids who have grown up. Don’t tell anyone.”

“That’s not a secret!”

“Ok, you’re right, it isn't" Michael agreed. "But don’t be too hard on your father. Just because he’s an adult doesn’t mean he’s not still struggling with life too. It sounds to me like your parents wanted things from each other that they couldn't give. There's nothing wrong with wanting things, but a big part of love is accepting people for who they are, not who you want them be. It's not love if what you want is for somebody to change so they can give you what you want. "

"Are you a preacher?" Tricia asked. "You don't have a funny hat, but you talk like the man who talks on Sundays, and he doesn't have any money either."

"Not a preacher so much as simply a humble servant of the Lord," Michael bowed his head. "Here to remind people that God loves everybody unconditionally, and that love is all you really need to get through life. Down here on Earth, it can be difficult to see that."

“Do you really believe in God?” Tricia seemed skeptical. "Or do you just say so because you're supposed to?"

“I do,” Michael nodded. “Truly. But it doesn’t matter what I believe. What do you believe?”

Tricia scrunched up her eyes in thought.

“Daddy used to make me go to church but it was dumb. Even Mommy said it was dumb, but she says that everything Daddy likes is dumb.”

“Ok,” MIchael nodded. “But I notice that you're only telling me about other people. Let's talk about you. Remember, adults are just kids that have grown up. Others can say and do and believe whatever they like, but part of growing up and becoming an adult yourself is coming to understand that other people can't decide for you. What do you believe?"

"I don't know," Tricia shrugged. "I guess I believe in Princess Celestia."

"Oh?"

"Well, yeah!" she brightened. "Daddy says that God always listens when I pray-"

"That's true."

"But he never talks back," Tricia pointed out. "But I can talk to Princess Celestia any time too, and she talks back!"

"Tricia!" a harsh female voice screeched from behind them. "Tricia Ann Somerset, you get over here right now!"

Michael looked back to the angry woman briskly walking up to them. "Your mother?" he asked. Tricia just nodded, eyes downcast.

"And you!" she continued to shriek, grabbing Tricia by the arm and yanking her away. "Get away from my daughter you freak! Walking off with a six year old girl? What kind of sick, twisted pervert are you?!?"

"I'm not six! I'm six and-"

"And don't you talk back to me, little miss! This is for your own good! So help me...I can't even go to the ladies room without you wandering off with some hobo!"

Michael sighed and looked sadly at Tricia. "Please forgive her. She's only trying to protect you as best she can."

"Don't you dare agree with me!" the woman shrieked, bodily positioning herself between him and her daughter. "Now get out of here before I call the police!"

Michael nodded, and then with one last kindly glance to Tricia, turned and walked away.

Some distance away, a butterfly continued its flight.