• Published 23rd Jul 2019
  • 2,235 Views, 20 Comments

The Ghost of Coltistrano - EthanClark



There are stories children are told of a figure in black, emerging from the darkness to strike at those who threaten the goodness of the world. This creature is the Ghost, but for young Silver Spade, it's his last hope for vengeance beyond the grave.

  • ...
2
 20
 2,235

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20: “I promise.”

The clinking of glass and soft mumblings from the crowd were hardly enough to mask the warm and resonant notes of the small orchestra. They were seated in the middle of the large dining hall, surrounding a large ice sculpture of Princess Celestia, and circled by a round table of refreshments as the guests orbited around them. From all around the creamy yellow room the melody of the band surrounded the guests, reaching all the way to the high ceiling, decorated with beams and the image a sprawling sun. Ponies on the second level looked over the balcony to those below, waving to friends and rushing down the grand staircase to meet them. Even down the branching hallways ponies were reveling in the festivities of the surprise party. The energy of the room was palpable, almost warm, but Rarity stood immune to its effects. She walked through the crowd with an almost timid pace. Every now and then her eyes shot to the ceiling just in time to watch something escape her gaze.

“Miss Rarity,” a loud, nasally voice called out, startling her. “How are you? I missed you at last year’s Fashion Week.”

“O-Oh yes, forgive me Hoity,” Rarity managed to stammer out the grey and immaculate unicorn. “Life has been quite hectic these past months. Tirek, Twilight’s coronation, my work with the princesses, you understand.”

“I suppose,” Hoity sighed, taking a glass from a turquoise waiter beside him. “But you must come to the private showcase I’m hosting next month. The most insightful designers from Manehatten will be in attendance. It will be positively splendid!”

Rarity relished in the distraction from her mission, allowing her nerves to ease for a moment. But from above, in a dark corner of the ceiling, the flutter of a black mass brought her attention back to the grim task she was on.

“Yes, well I assure you I will do my best to attend. Now, if you’ll excuse me, there is some… business I must attend to.”

Hoity’s farewells fell on deaf ears as Rarity made a beeline up the grand staircase and to the corner of the second level. She pushed past, as calmly as she could, the small crowd of guests chatting along the banisters and finally settled into the corner. She peered out across the room, using her new vantage point to keep a lookout for their mutual enemy.

“How’s it looking?” A voice from above drifted down to her, barely a whisper.

“Not good. The turn out is… well, the nobility just can’t seem to ignore free caviar and champagne. If something happens-”

“We’ll stop it.”

“Of course, but… I can’t stop thinking about it. The lengths to which Shield Wall has gone, or will go, I never suspected he would be this dangerous.”

“Just focus on monitoring the guests, okay?” The voice said, calmly. “I’ll handle whatever scheme he has.”

Rarity looked up to her faceless confidant, only to find the ceiling beam devoid of anypony. Across the way, the Ghost crawled along the wooden supports and made his way out of the dining hall. The branching hallway was empty. At the end of the row was a single, white door against the warm yellow walls. He froze in place. The thought of opening that door had pierced his mind for six years, but only now had it become a terrifying task. After taking a glance behind him to ensure he was alone he began his long walk.

From within the room, behind the white door, a single pony sat before a large vanity, dressed in a deep blue gown. She delicately brushed the strands of ruby hair as they fell across her neck. A circle of fog formed on the glass as she sighed. She held a proper, dignified expression, but she couldn’t ignore the tightness in her chest. She didn’t want to be there. The night at the gala had wreaked havoc on her heart, squeezing it like a fruit and draining the emotion from it. Those eyes. No matter how much time she spent gussying herself up, distracting herself, the sight of those amber eyes bubbled up again. Her teal magic ripped the makeup from the vanity and hurled it across the room. She stood, vacant.

“Really…” she muttered. “Getting worked up over somepony, all because he…”

She paused, rolling over the next few words in her mind, afraid to hear them spoken.

“There is no reason to even suspect such a thing. That pompous, over-financed heir could never hold a candle to him! Why, the very thought that he might actually be…”

She paused again. Her teeth clamped down on her tongue, hoping the pain would distract her from the tears forming behind her eyes.

“Don’t, Abby, this will be the second time you had to redo your lashes. Just suck it up and be a big mare, like mother said.” Her declaration gave her legs the strength to march to the door. “Spearhead will be down there, we will meet up with Shining and Cadence later, and this night will be wonderful.”

The teal glow of her horn gripped the doorknob and twisted.

“Then maybe I will finally be able to sleep without-”

She paused as she came face to face with a black, almost amorphous shape. The two ponies locked eyes as Abby’s face drained of all emotion. The Ghost was stunned, his voice trapped behind a wall of fear as he stared into the sea green orbs he once longed for. His trance, however, was broken by a firm grip around his forehoof. He looked down to find the same teal aura encasing it. He looked up.

“Oh, no…”

Abby’s face went from empty to wrathful as she hoisted the Ghost into the air and through the door frame. The force of the throw sent him hurtling over the coffee table and against the wall. As he tried to recover, Abby shut the door behind her and took a fighting stance. Her horn was a brilliant glow of energy as her eyes locked onto her target.

“Leave me be, cretin! I don’t know what your purpose here is, but I want left out of your fight, whatever it is!”

“Ab-... Ma’am, please, I’m not here to fight you.”

The Ghost’s words came too late, as a blinding flash filled the room and his senses. Abby rushed her dazed opponent and, with quick hoofwork and a buck of her hips, flipped him over her back and onto the floor. He coughed at the impact, air rushing from his lungs as she pinned him to the ground.

“Speak, now, lest I have Prince Armor come and pull your words out by force!”

“I-... I c-can’t…” the Ghost gasped, clinging to what little breath he had. “I can’t b-believe you can still… still do that.”

“What do you mean?” Abby looked to her captured guest with a face scrunched in confusion.

To the Ghost, this was as good a time as any. He slowly brought a hoof to his face, slow enough to not risk another beating, and tugged at the black fabric. As the mask was pulled from his face, Abby stumbled and fell back against the floor, as if struck by a great wind. The Ghost sat up, letting his silver locks fall and his eyes catch Abby’s in their gaze.

“Lord Aristo? But how are… no.” Abby felt the tears return again, knowing this time there was no stopping them.

Silver’s regained breath was, once again, knocked out of him from the impact. Abby wrapped her hooves around him and tackled him to the floor. She was sobbing, babbling incoherently as black streaks stained her yellow fur. Silver hugged back, holding tight. They stayed there for a few moments, allowing the world to pass around them as, for the first time in years, they both felt some measure of happiness.

“H-How did… I… I didn’t know… I’m sorry, I’m sorry, sorry, sorry,” Abby lamented into Silver’s shoulder.

“It wasn’t you, Abby. It could never be you.” Silver helped her to her hooves, supporting her wobbling body as they stood.

“What h-happened to you,” Abby hiccuped. “It’s been years… and that cloak. Where have you been?!”

“On an island. I was left in the ocean by Shield Wall. He… well, it’s a long story.”

“Shield Wall, but how?” Abby held tighter to Silver’s forelegs. “He’s been campaigning for an investigation into your death for years. I-I met with his colleagues to-”

“To guilt-trip them into helping him?”

“W-What are you saying, Silver?”

“Shield Wall is dangerous, Abby. He beat me, threw me in the ocean, and has been working to start a war with Griffonstone. Those “colleagues” were members of his conspiracy, the same one that tried to kill Fancy Pants at the gala.”

“But the gryphon militia, the speech I gave, the memorial service, you’re saying it was all… fake?”

“You… didn’t know?”

“Of course not! Silver, my love, I thought you were dead. Shield Wall helped console me for years after you disappeared, he was nothing but a friend, but I never suspected he was to blame. Is he truly so vicious?”

“You don’t know the half of it. Where is he? Does he know you’re here?”

“I would imagine so, he invites me to all of his parties. What’s happening?”

“We have to leave,” Silver said, pulling Abby towards the door. “Something terrible is going to happen here and we don’t know what. I’ll get you to Rarity so-”

“Rarity? Miss Rarity is working with you?”

“Yes, but please, we have to hurry.”

“Unhoof me you scandalous servitor! Where are you taking me?”

Silver and Abby halted as the door to the room was thrown wide open by a turquoise pony. He dragged Rarity into the room by the flare of his horn, releasing her after he shut the door and locked it with a second spell. Rarity landed on her flank, pouting as she dusted herself off and stood. She caught sight of Abby and Silver.

“Oh my, Countess. I hadn’t suspected that… wait. He was coming here for you?” Rarity’s face went from agitated to ecstatic in an instant. “Ooh! It’s just like one of my stories. The daring prince returns for his fair maiden. Countess, you have no idea how lucky you are to be living the dream.”

“Yes, yes, all well and good,” the servant cut off. In a flash of sickening green magic, the visage melted away to reveal Darrox’s true form.

“Darrox?” Silver stood stunned at his master’s arrival. “What are you doing here? I thought you… well, you know.”

“Nevermind that, my boy. I have brought Miss Rarity here because a situation has developed downstairs. The guests are being evacuated and the guards are closing in around the estate. We only… oh, forgive me madam.”

Darrox looked to Abby, shaking from the changeling’s brilliant display and unhindered words, before giving a nod.

“Countess Glow, I am Darrox, young Silver’s tutor. He has told me many wonderful stories about you.”

Abby hesitantly extended a hoof to the changeling, keeping an eye on the swirling color upon his chitin. She said nothing as she made contact with his hoof and withdrew quickly. Behind them, a hard knock upon one of the windows rang out into the room. Silver turned his head just in time to see Gilda crash through the glass and frantically call out to them.

“You guys gotta get lost! Guards are pouring out of the city and surrounding the house. If we don’t…” Gilda took stock of the sight before her, pausing in her haste. “So, is this the babe?”

Gilda!” Silver blurted out before Darrox stepped forward and cut him off.

“Miss Gilda is right, we must evacuate the house at once. Miss Rarity, are you capable of teleportation? Perhaps gateways or the like?”

“Well, I may have my merits but I am no Twilight Sparkle. You would be better off casting your own portal through that window.”

“What about the guests,” Silver inquired. “Has Shield Wall done anything to them?”

“I don’t believe so,” Rarity returned. “One minute the party was going as expected, then the next everypony was being rushed out of the room. I haven’t seen Shield Wall anywhere.”

“If the guards have come, then we should go to them,” Abby stated. “They must be here to stop whatever is going on downstairs.”

“Sorry, babe, they are what’s going on downstairs,” Gilda said, keeping watch through the broken window.

“A trap, then.” Darrox rubbed his chitin-covered chin. “Clever to lure us with the threat of impending danger. He must have known Gavel would share his suspicions with you.”

“Wait… you knew?” Silver directed toward his master.

“I had to, my boy, you were walking a dangerous road and I needed to be sure you were safe, so I followed you.”

“Did he just say he followed us?” Gilda poked her head out from the window with an incredulous look.

“Okay, look, we can’t stay here.” Silver dismissed his confusion and pulled his mask back over his face. “If guards are surrounding the house then we only have a few minutes. Rarity, please stick with Abby and make sure she gets out of here. Darrox, do you have Gorn’s sending stone?”

“Of course, but what do…” Darrox said before giving Silver a knowing look, smirking as he passed over the stone.

“Gilda, I need you to take this and get Rarity and Abby on the ship.” Silver tossed the sending stone to the gryphon, who caught it in one claw. “Head to the roof and flag Gorn down.”

“Which will leave us to capture Shield Wall,” Darrox interjected, stepping to his pupil’s side. “Are you ready?”

“I’m more concerned if you can even keep up,” Silver snarked. “I’m… I’m sorry for what I said.”

“You were forgiven before you even left the room, but there will be a few much needed lessons in your future.”

“Finally…”

The group all turned toward the haunting voice. There, in the doorway, stood Shield Wall. He walked into the room, flanked by guards on either side, and began to close in around his caught prey.

“I must be the luckiest pony in the world. All of you, here, just when I feared you had escaped.” Shield Wall turned his gaze to Darrox. “Hello, hive filth. You have aged quite poorly.”

“Perhaps, but I now look as haggard and decrepit as your blackened heart, Shield Wall,” Darrox fired back.

“Ah, the old wit!” Shield Wall let out a deep, sinister chuckle. “I have missed that! I missed it so much. Just for that I will allow you a choice: turns yourselves over and relinquish Abundant to me, and I will not kill you here and now.”

“Not happening,” the Ghost stated. “The only one turning themselves over here will be you.”

“Ah, my lord! To think one so refined as you would dare lower yourself to wear such rags!” Shield feigned surprise, mockingly placing a hoof to his heart. “Though I suppose your kind has a knack for choosing the wrong side.”

“Keep your insults to yourself,” the Ghost said, tensing his jaw. “Your attack on the Bridle Shores won’t succeed. We won’t let you kill hundreds of ponies for your own twisted game.”

The guards flanking Shield Wall began to stir. They shot worried and confused glances between each other, muttering amongst themselves. Shield Wall stamped his hoof on the floor, demanding silence, before speaking in a rumbling voice.

“You will not live to see my future, Ghost, and neither will they if you continue to resist me. Surrender, or die.”

Shield Wall’s words shook the Ghost to his core, sending a biting chill through his entire being. But, to his side, he found a soft smile from his master, who shot him a glance. The Ghost returned it and smirked.

“Think we can take 'em?” The Ghost reached for his cloak.

“Oh, most certainly.” Darrox charged his horn, his rainbow splintered chitin radiating with it.

Darrox’s horn exploding in a brilliant green flash, searing into the eyes of the guards before them. The Ghost unleashed a torrent of strikes from his cloak. The black tendrils whipped out along the crowd, colliding with heads and chests, slicing into the blinded guards. While the two-pony offensive held the guards back, Gilda grabbed hold of her two charges and bolted for the window. She clambered to the opening before a golden aura appeared before her, the loud popping sound announcing Shield Wall’s teleportation. Gilda bared her claws and swiped. A barrage of claw strikes landed against the twinkling barrier erected by Shield Wall before it expanded outward, pushing everypony in the room against the wall. Everypony, except Abby.

“Abundant, please listen to me,” Shield pleaded.

“No! Stay away from me, you monster!” Abby fired bolt after bolt of energy, colliding against a second barrier around Shield’s body. “You killed him! You took Silver from me and ruined my life!”

“I did what I could to protect you,” he returned, grunting in pain from the impacts. “That lowborn cretin would never have been enough for you.”

"He was everything to me!" A final flash of magic knocked Shield against the wall, dispelling his barrier. Everypony began to recover as the Ghost ran to Abby, sweeping her up and helping her away from the battle. The group trampled the pile of guards as they rushed out the door and into the hallway.

“We will need another exit strategy,” Darrox announced.

“There’s a second staircase just over here,” Rarity pointed back toward the dining hall. “We’ll be able to reach to roof through there. Come on!”

With Rarity leading the way, the five fugitives charged through the hallway, nearly smashing through the door leading to the dining hall. They were met, however, with the sight of over two dozen guards waiting for them, even more on the lower level. A thundering gallop of hooves echoed from behind them, back towards the room, and very soon they were surrounded on all sides. Shield Wall stepped out from the ranks of guards and wiped the blood from his snout.

“I won’t give you another chance,” he spoke, cold and vicious. “Submit.”

The quintet stood firm against the growing pressure surrounding them. Gilda scanned the crowd, searching for an opening before her gaze fell upon the large ice sculpture in the center of the room. She leaned down between Rarity and Abby.

“Hey, see that ugly hunk of ice,” she whispered. “You two think you can make it… you know, go boom?”

The two looked back, then to each other, sharing a smile as their horns glowed in unison. A light began to glow from within the ice sculpture, growing brighter and brighter. It caught the attention of the guards who watched the welling light spread throughout the entire frozen form. Small drops of water fell to the floor before the statue cracked and released a shockwave of power across the room. Ice shards were sent streaking in every direction, knocking some off the guards of their hooves and wounding others. Shield Wall erected a barrier to protect himself while those under his command either fell to the floor or retreated on their own. The quintet took cover behind the banister, now riddled with slowly melting projectiles sticking out of the wood.

“A little warning next time!” The Ghost shouted.

“That was marvelous,” Darrox cheered. “Truly, a spectacular display if ever I saw one!”

“Please don’t encourage them.”

From behind them, Shield Wall staggered over to one of the prone guards, lifting him up with magic. Others began to rise as he spoke.

“Ensure the countess is not harmed,” he seethed. “Kill the rest.”

“B-But sir, that’s Miss Rarity, you can’t-”

“I can,” Shield said, twisting the guard’s head back. “And you will.”

Before Darrox and the Ghost were able to fully stand, the two were tackled over the balcony by a stampeding Shield Wall. Darrox broke free and fluttered to the floor upon his wings. The Ghost parachuted down and landed almost silently. Shield Wall surrounded himself in his golden aura and steadily hovered until his hooves clacked against the polished floor. As the sounds of battle rang out above them, the three stared at each other.

“I must admit, my words to describe such a moment seem to fail me,” Shield Wall sneered. “Can you imagine my delight in finding not one, but two moronic vigilantes coming to put a stop to my plans. It’s like Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

“Enough of your prattling,” Darrox spat, taking a step forward. “This day is twenty years too late, Shield, and you cannot escape fate again.”

“Oh, I’m counting on it. You and your little dog, here, have been the most fun I’ve had since our little bout in Manehatten. I wouldn’t miss this for anything.”

“There’s still a chance for you to surrender,” the Ghost announced. “We won’t take this any further than needed.”

“You already did, Aristo. I was almost convinced of your facade until Serenade went missing, then it became clear to me. Your apprentice got sloppy, bug, and I cannot help but thank him for it.”

“Last chance,” the Ghost said, lowering his stance.

“Consider it wasted.” Shield Wall snickered as his horn glowed to life.

The three ponies lunged at each other. They ignored the fallen guards surrounding them and the battle raging upstairs, consumed by their endless struggle. The Ghost and Darrox moved to flank Shield Wall. A barrage of precision strikes was unleashed along his midsection, deflected by both Shield Wall’s own martial skills and a second, magical set of hooves conjured by his magic. Before he could react, though, Shield felt something coil around his hind leg and pull him across the floor.

The Ghost whipped his cloak back, and Shield Wall with it, before somersaulting over and slamming his nemesis back onto the floor. Shield rolled over but was met with a spinning wheel of strikes to his face and chest as he tried to stand. The blows were too quick for him to get a spell off, jostling his body with each strike, until a second coiling tightness met his midsection. Shield took the chance and fired a single, devastating beam of magic at this attacker, forcing the Ghost to recoil and shield himself with his cloak.

The black mass flew back against the wall and fumbled to the floor among the other wounded ponies. Darrox swooped in, buzzing around Shield Wall and firing needle-like bursts into his opponent. Shield flailed and cursed the assault. His golden aura caught hold of Darrox’s forehoof, but lost its grip when he transformed into a small bird, fluttering past his head with a mocking little chirp before changing back and bucking his nemesis with two powerful legs. Shield Wall flew against the ruined ice sculpture and before Darrox could charge again, he caught the changeling in a golden aura. Darrox gasped for breath as his chitin fell in on itself, the armored exterior used as a weapon against him.

The Ghost looked up at the horrid display. The memory of the Compassion, being held against his will by the same spell, sent a terrible rush through his brain. He stood and launched the end of his cloak out to Shield Wall, wrapping his horn in it and breaking the spell. Shield struggled against the oppressive fabric as another bolt constricted around his forehooves. He tugged at the cloak, sending the Ghost sliding forward in a desperate attempt to break free.

“Darrox, do something quick, I can’t hold him!”

Darrox took the initiative and flew down to Shield Wall’s rear. A green mist protruded from his horn and surrounded Shield Wall’s hooves, melting the floor and causing them to sink. The sensation crept up Shield’s legs as he snarled back at the duo. He sucked in a breath and, with a powerful grunt, yanked on the cloak and sent the Ghost flying through the air. Shield Wall used his improvised flail to knock Darrox off his hooves and flying back over the table with the Ghost in tow. Shield Wall removed his hooves from the still bubbling floor and watched as his guards on the upper level being pushed back by the trio above. His horn sang out with a low hum as swirling power encircled it.

The Ghost managed to stand just as Shield’s horn reached peak capacity. He followed the unicorn’s gaze to Gilda, who was launching herself through the guards and carving a path to the exit for the two unicorns covering the rear. A brilliant gold ball of magic formed at the tip of Shield Wall’s horn. The Ghost wrapped his forehoof in his cloak and, as the attack launched, leapt up into its path and spiked it back down with his shielded hoof, creating a shower of golden light that cascaded around the ruined dining hall. As the Ghost landed, stumbling, he was met with Shield Wall’s hoof colliding with his face.

Darrox watched his apprentice skid across the floor from the impact. He watched the conflict above, with the trio pinned down by ever encroaching guards. He turned to see Shield Wall closing on the dazed Ghost and a sense of desperation took hold in his heart. Darrox cracked his neck, took a stance, and launched himself at Shield Wall. The rocketing changeling lifted the vice general from his hooves and slammed him onto the base of the ice sculpture. From there, the two life-long enemies traded hooves. Darrox was fast and nimble with his strikes. He landed his hits to Shield’s jaw, his throat, and the gaps between his ribs with uncanny accuracy, but much of his strength had left him during the fight. Shield took advantage of his exhaustion and landed a single, chitin-shattering strike with his hindleg to Darrox’s sternum. He collapsed onto the base as the sensation of broken bone shot through his entire system. He was short of breath. His eyes wandered to the Ghost, wearily bringing himself to his hooves.

“This is what I always wanted to see,” Shield Wall huffed before delivering a powerful backhoof to Darrox, green blood following the strike. “You, a lesser creature, kneeling before your better.”

“There are no lesser creatures, Shield,” Darrox wheezed, wiping the blood from his mouth. “Only creatures whose hubris makes them so.”

Shield’s weary, smug face twisted into a tapestry of fury at Darrox’s words. His horn charged, the light spilling over the Ghost, who hobbled to the two. His eyes were met by Darrox’s warm smile as the light focused into a single point. The Ghost, with a pained shout, poured all of his strength into the whip of his cloak, desperately reaching out to stop the inevitable strike. The light on Shield’s horn released and in the wake of the flash was a single, smoldering hole through Darrox’s glossy black chest. Just as the cloak sliced into Shield Wall’s face, forcing him off the sculpture’s base, the Ghost lost all his strength.

Shield Wall winced at the fresh wound on his cheek. His eyes locked on the stunned Ghost, but before he could close the distance between them, three balls of iron came hurtling through the walls of the mansion. The shouts of the airship outside emanated into the dining hall and forced the guards to retreat at the sudden bombardment. Another volley crashed through and Shield locked his gaze on Abby. The countess saw her tormentor and began to flee towards Gilda, but was cut off by the loud pop of Shield's teleportation. He wordlessly grabbed her and pulled her to the grand staircase, ignoring her screams. He produced a command stone from his pocket and brought it to life, opening a secret tunnel in the stairway. Abby cried and pulled back with all her strength, helpless against the furious strength Shield Wall now commanded her with.

The Ghost, wounded as he was, could hardly move. Not even the cries of Abby rested him from his sullen trance as she was pulled deeper into the tunnel, watching as she was swallowed by the darkness and the passage closed behind her. He crawled to Darrox. The explosions of wood and debris were almost silence to his senses as he painfully climbed the base of the sculpture to his master’s body. There he cradled his head.

“It… it hit…” the Ghost mumbled, fumbling his hoof over the wound.

“My boy,” Darrox wheezed. “Please…”

The changeling placed a hoof on the pony’s. For a moment the two sat silently as the roaring cannon fire and the sounds of battle left them, the air becoming still. Gilda and Rarity, scuffed and bruised, came rushing down the stairs before halting at the sight. Rarity’s eyes filled with tears as she choked on her breath while Gilda stood in dumbfounded silence, afraid to say anything. Only their labored breathing permeated the sullen silence.

“I did have a family,” Darrox finally whispered. “Back in my hive. We were raised to be evil, true, but I still loved them. Tarsi and Alate, my sisters, and my brother, Labrum. They were so scared when I told them what I was doing, that I wanted to help ponies. Labrum took it the hardest, ever the loyalist-”

Darrox gave a loud, wet cough as green blood spat up across his mouth. The Ghost could do nothing but watch his master’s suffering.

“Alate was the one who let me go. She always believed changelings had a greater purpose than just… just drones in the Queen’s war. As soon as the colors appeared on my chest I knew she was right, so I kept going… by the hive, I haven’t seen them in decades. I failed them as much as I failed myself.”

His hoof squeezed the Ghost’s, whose eyes had become bloodshot. They met in their gaze as Darrox summoned what was left of his fleeting strength.

“No matter our differences, no matter our desires, never lose sight of what brought you here. To this moment. Not a cry for vengeance, but the desire to do good. Promi-… promise…”

The soft pale glow of his eyes faded away. His limbs fell limp against the Ghost’s body and began to curl up as a final, ragged breath escaped his mouth. The Ghost fumbled around Darrox’s body, searching for a pulse or breath or any sign that his fears were not real, but he struggled in vain. The Ghost could feel it in the pit of his stomach. His lips quivered as he pulled his shaky hooves away from his master, his tears proof of losing the fight against his own heart.

“I promise.”

PreviousChapters Next