• Published 23rd Jul 2019
  • 2,235 Views, 20 Comments

The Ghost of Coltistrano - EthanClark



There are stories children are told of a figure in black, emerging from the darkness to strike at those who threaten the goodness of the world. This creature is the Ghost, but for young Silver Spade, it's his last hope for vengeance beyond the grave.

  • ...
2
 20
 2,235

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10: “This isn’t right, Gilda, this isn’t my home.”

There was an omnipresent hum that wafted up from the port town of Horseshoe Bay. Ponies went to and from the many shops and watched the ships that came to port in excitement. All around the harbor, scores of ponies and other creatures hauled away cargo and hoisted moorings as a part of their daily chores, all while dodging the veritable hurricane of gulls that swarmed above them. Their cawing was a choir that rang out across the brilliant blue sky. Cursing, grunting, and the smell of salt on the air told the crew of the Tornado they were back on dry land.

Silver stood on deck dressed in worn, black sailors garments, with the unusual addition of pants to hide his cutie mark. His gaze was captured by the crowd of ponies traveling around the port town. It had been six years since he saw such a crowd. All he could do was simply watch as they darted in and out of the stone and wooden buildings that lined the harbor. From behind, Silver felt a hard slap on his back.

“Wake up, mop head,” Gilda said, unenthusiastically. “Don’t tell me you’re scared of leaving the ship.”

“Let’s just say I’m out of practice.” Silver smiled, earning him a roll of Gilda’s eyes.

“Ugh, you’re an idiot. If Gorn were here he’d kick your flank off this ship himself.”

“Where is Gorn? He said he was looking for a doctor.”

“Ya-huh,” Gilda sighed, leaning against the railing. “Off to find a pony doctor, paid by a gryphon pirate, to patch up a changeling geezer. I’m sure the market is teeming with those.”

“Hey, he’s not a geezer,” Silver huffed. “He’s sick. You wouldn’t be talking smack if it was your flank he’d been beating up for six years.”

“Ha! For real? You lost to that old fart for six years straight?”

“He’s tougher than he looks,” Silver shot back. “I bet you couldn’t even handle me on a good day, and I’m just the student.”

“Oh,” Gila turned a bit to Silver, smiling as she tensed her talons “Is that a challenge, dweeb?”

“You bet, pussycat,” Silver held his ground, returning a smirk. “Take a swing at me and you’re going… down.”

Gilda held her sinister gaze, but twitched after a moment. Soon her face fell, only for one of her claws to reach up and clutch it before letting out a long groan. Silver, however, maintained his smirk.

“You… holy smokes… you really went there?”

Silver burst out laughing, clutching hard to the railing as Gilda hid her face deeper into her claws, her feathers beginning to ruffle. After a few seconds Silver lifted his hoof, licked it, and tallied the score in the air before him. Through trained ears, he heard a soft chuckle rise from Gilda, too. Their fun was cut short when Gorn, followed by a stern looking pegasus mare, came to the gangplank of the ship.

“Doctor, madam, it be most generous of ye to help us. I swear, nary ‘ave I seen a finer example of doctorin’ before in-”

“You don’t have to butter me up, Gorn,” the doctor interrupted. “It’s my job, so just take me to him and we’ll get this over with.”

As the two walked onto the deck Silver and Gilda stared, following as they made their way to the captain’s cabin. Gorn pressed his claw against the door before turning to the doctor.

“Now, I warn ye, he’s been sick for a bit, see? Doubt he, uh, rightfully looks ‘imself.”

“Gorn, I’m busy.” The doctor’s face was cold and grim. “Open it.”

Gorn gave a shaky sigh, darting his eyes to Silver before pushing through into the cabin. The room was dark, with thick curtains blocking out the brilliant midday sun. At the far end of the room, in a small bed, a blanketed shape breathed raggedly. The doctor wasted no time in lugging her bag under a wing and trotting over to the bed. Gorn shifted himself in front of the door as the doctor began to pull the sheet down. Once fully revealed, she gave a yell of shock, dropping her bag and almost joining it on the floor. She stumbled back, whipping around to face Gorn, Silver and Gilda.

“What… what is this?!” She almost shouted.

“I-I told ye he wasn’t… um, a pleasant sight.” Gorn said through a wide, awkward smile.

“He’s a changeling!”

“Well, aye, but-”

“No ‘buts’! You’re harboring an enemy of Equestria. As a doctor in Her Majesty’s royal navy, I have no choice but to turn him in.”

“No!” Silver shouted. “You can’t, he’s going to die without you.”

“Don’t tell me what to do, unless you forgot what happened in Canterlot.”

Silver had only heard stories from Gorn and Gilda about the invasion, how the changeling queen usurped Princess Cadence’s position and took control of the city. In the moment, though, Silver could only look to the wheezing Darrox.

“I know, okay? I know what happened.”

“Then you know why I have to do this, now get out o-”

“No!” Silver stepped to the doctor and met her firm gaze. “I was a soldier. I know better than anypony how important it is to keep Equestria safe, but look at him. He’s weak, he’s dying, and there’s nothing in your job description that says you can just leave him to suffer like he is. He’s not going anywhere. He’s not hurting anypony.”

“We have our orders, son, if I-”

“I had my orders, too. I was stationed on the northern border when the yaks broke through. They demolished everything in sight, but I was ordered to sit back so we could slaughter them at full strength. I didn’t want to see ponies’ homes destroyed, but I also didn’t want another bloodbath. I defied my orders so that I could save everypony, not just our own.”

“That’s crap,” the doctor spouted. “You would’ve been discharged... court marshaled at the least, given disciplinary service for that stunt.”

“Why do you think I’m here?”

This brought the doctor’s outrage to a halt. She looked Silver over, then turned to Darrox.

“Look,” Silver said, softening his voice. “If you want money we can give it to you. If you want to berate me and call me a ‘traitor’, that’s fine too. Just… just help him. Please.”

Moments passed in the dark cabin, with only Darrox’s ragged breathing to break the silence. The doctor, shifting in place, reached down to pick her bag up from the floor. She turned to Silver again.

“Did it work?”

“What?” Silver asked.

“Those yaks. I heard about the attack while I was on shore leave. Did you get them to stop.”

“Yeah,” Silver said plainly. “I did.”

“Then I’ll help,” the doctor said through a sigh. “But! This never leaves this room, and I never see any of you again, got it?”

Silver and Gorn nodded furiously as the doctor turned to Darrox. She kneeled down and fully removed the sheet. Darrox lifted his hoof to the doctor’s.

“Thank you,” he said in a wet and weary voice.

“Don’t thank me,” she said, rummaging through her bag. “That’s one hell of a kid you’ve got, so thank him.”

Darrox shifted his gaze to Silver and smiled before beckoning him over with a flimsy wave. Silver kneeled down before him.

“Where… will you go now?” Darrox asked as the doctor checked his pulse with a stethoscope.

“Well,” Silver began. “I wanted to go home. You’ll be cared for here, nopony here knows me, and… I really want to see my parents.”

Darrox’s face tensed and Silver could sense his discomfort. He placed his hoof to Silver’s, though, and spoke softly.

“Then go. Revel in your freedom, my boy. Gorn?”

“Aye, sir?” Gorn called out, rushing to Darrox’s side.

“When I-” Darrox coughed into his hoof, coating it in specks of green blood. “When I am well enough to travel, we must go to Coltistrano.”

“Well, uh, I ‘aven’t the slightest where that is, sir.”

“I will guide you, and once the good doctor is finished I believe this old ship is due for a remodeling.”

Darrox shifted to the doctor, who tried to avoid his gaze. Eventually, though, she relented and met Darrox’s eyes.

“Don’t thank me again, okay?” She said. “I haven’t even gotten the physical exam yet.”

“Can you tell what he’s got?” Silver asked, leaning forward and admiring the doctor’s work.

“Normally, sailors come in with scurvy or influenza, but he’s got a nasty cough. If anything, he’s probably reacting to something differently because he’s a changeling. I’ll know more when I run an exam… and when you stop crowding my space.”

Silver snapped back and stepped away from the doctor. She laughed a bit, waving him away. At this the three left the cabin and returned to the deck. Gron looked to Silver, merely nodding before joining the rest of his crew. Silver and Gilda retreated below deck, with Silver gathering what few belongings he had and Gilda finding her own bag. He flung the saddlebag over his back and entered the hold of the ship. Inside were dozens of chests, all from the treasure trove they took from the island. Silver reached in and grabbed hooffuls of gold coins and bits, scooping them into a separate bag. Gilda looked puzzled.

“Uh, what’re you doing?” She quizzed.

“Getting stuff together for the trip. Coltistrano is a day or two from here and I have to prepare.”

“You’re not walking, are you,” Gilda gave Silver an incredulous look, “you know there’s a train, right?”

“Well… yeah, but I’ve been gone for a while, now. I’m probably declared dead or something.”

“I doubt the train conductor would recognize you, dweeb.” Gilda said through a coarse laugh.

Silver laughed as well. He placed the money into his saddlebag and crested the top of the stairs with Gilda. They walked together down the gangplank and onto the dock. Silver paused. It was the first time he had set foot in Equestria in six years. He shivered, his fur standing on end as he let the thrill pass through him. Gilda, however, began walking away.

“Well,” she said before giving a limp wave of her claw. “Catch you later, nerd.”

“Wait, you’re leaving? Just like that?” Silver became panicked and followed.

“Well, duh, the job’s over and I got paid. That’s how the freelance thing works.”

“But what about Shield Wall? We have t-”

“Nuh-uh, you have to, not me. I’m perfectly happy finding the nearest semi-clean room and calling it a day.”

“Are you serious? You saw what he did to me, you know what he might do, and you’re okay with that?”

“Y-Yeah, I saw,” Gilda stammered, growing uneasy at the thought of Silver’s scars, “but it’s not my problem, okay? Like… yeah, it sucks, I guess, but I’ve got my own skin to look out for. Besides, it’s not like we’re… friends, or anything.”

“I thought we were,” Silver said somberly.

Gilda stiffened and her feathers ruffled slightly at Silver’s admission. She brought a claw to her face, desperately trying to hide the warm blush she could feel filling her face. Her tail twitched behind her, only adding to her growing embarrassment.

“You don’t want me as your friend,” she said, looking through the gaps in her claw.

“Why not? We’ve gotten along great so far.” Silver placed a hoof on Gilda’s shoulder. “Besides, it’s rare to get a laugh for the dumb jokes I make.”

“You don’t get it!” Gilda’s face tensed as she slapped Silver’s hoof away. “I’m a gryphon. I’m big, I’m mean, and I don’t do ponies. The last pony who was my ‘friend’ couldn’t handle it, so I bugged out. I don’t have time for dweeby ponies and their dumb feelings, unless you’re willing to pay my day rate.”

The ambiance of the dock workers silenced, their eyes resting on the arguing duo. Silver stood firm despite his shock.

“I’m not going to buy your friendship, Gilda,” Silver said.

“Well, then I guess we’ve got nothing left to talk about.” Gilda turned and began storming away, leaving Silver alone on the harbor. She pushed her way through the crowd of workers and sailors and rounded to the nearest corner, walking into an empty alleyway between two naval offices. She slid to the ground and let out a ragged breath. A stiff breeze brought the scent of salt and caught fish through the narrow pass. In the shade of the alley, Gilda fumbled with her own claws as she fought to loosen the knot in her gut. The outburst shook her and left Gilda almost trembling. She curled up to herself in the alley, mumbling.

“No friends,” she whispered.

“That’s a pretty lousy rule.”

Gilda shot up and whipped her head around to see Silver standing at the mouth of the alley.

“Are you spying on me? Didn’t I tell you to get lost?” Gilda yelled through a shaky voice.

“No, and you didn’t. You bugged out.”

“Just like I said I would,” she said, sliding back to the ground with a sly smile.

“And I won’t accept it.”

“Are you serious?” Gilda glared at Silver. “Don’t you have better things to do, like getting your revenge on some psycho, instead of wasting my time?”

“Yeah, I do, but right now it can wait.” Silver approached, unphased by Gilda’s tensing wings and lowered stance. “I can talk about stopping Shield Wall and all that for as long as I want, but I can’t help Equestria if I can’t even help you.”

“Ha! Then you’re off to a pretty bad start, loser.”

“Only because you’re afraid of getting help.”

“I’m not scared of you!” Gilda’s tension exploded, releasing in a swipe to Silver’s face. He leaned out of the way, pushing the errant limb and throwing Gilda off balance. A quick tap to her back sent her against the wall.

“You don’t have to believe you’re beyond help, Gilda.”

“I don’t need you to fix me!”

“I don’t want to,” he said, dodging another swipe. “You’re as strong and scary as you say you are, but I know you’re hurting. You helped me off that island, so at least let me help you.”

Stop!” A third swipe came in, faster than the others, and sliced along Silver’s exposed chest. Gilda recoiled, her breath calming as she processed what she had done. She brought a claw to her beak in shock before rushing to Silver. He watched as she took a rag from her own bag and put pressure on his blood-matted fur. Silver winced a bit, but placed a hoof on Gilda’s shoulder.

“Feel better?” Gilda looked up to see Silver’s grin beaming down on her. She gasped and stammered, trying to find words to express the rush of emotion filling her mind. Instead, she slapped the fresh wound on Silver’s chest, making him yelp.

“If you weren’t so damn forceful I wouldn’t have had to slice you, dweeb.”

“I think ‘forceful’ is your only speed, Gilda.” Silver chucked through the sharp pain. Gilda grumbled, removing the cloth from Silver’s chest before he continued.

“I get it if you don’t want to come along, but don’t let yourself be alone. Trust me, I know what it’s like.”

Silver patted Gilda’s shoulder before turning to leave. She followed him with her gaze as he stepped out of the alley and walked down the street, to the center of town. Gilda stood for a moment, frozen in thought of Silver’s words. Her mind floated back to old friends she had left behind, who’s very memory brought an ache to her bones. The sight of his long argent mane began to fade, but Gilda rose to her full height and spread her wings. With a powerful flap she rose over the crowd and sped toward Silver. She yelled out to him.

“Hey, dweeb! Duck!” Silver turned just in time to see the speeding gryphon coming in, forcing his belly onto the stone street as ponies around them shouted and clambered to the sides, desperately trying to avoid the feathered missile. She clawed the ground and came to a halt.

“If I can get a free hit off you when I’m wild and stupid, then you won’t last a second against whatever weirdos you’re messing with.”

“Does that mean you’re coming along?” Silver said dusting himself off. Gilda rolled her eyes.

“It means I have to watch over your stupid flank, make sure you get to your folks in one piece. Now come on.”

The two walked side-by-side to the town center, beginning their preparations for the journey to Coltistrano. Gilda maintained a grumpy expression, but Silver almost bounced in his step, hardly hiding his excitement to be going home. The train whistle blared in the distance.

----

“How is it?” Gilda said to Silver, motioning to the now clotted cut.

“It’s better,” he replied, giving the most consoling smile he could. “I’ve had worse.”

Silver had only known Gilda for a few weeks. The return voyage on the Tornado had given him enough time to become chummy with the hodge-podge crew Gorn captained, but Gilda was different. Silver always sensed something off when she would pull away from the crew and disappear during mess. The rare chances he was able to find her and wrench a conversation out of her, she was distant. Now was different. Gilda sat across from him in the rumbling train car, next to the doffed saddlebags full of their supplies. Her eyes darted from Silver’s face, to the wound, then to the window beside her when it was obvious Silver looked at her. This was something Silver hadn’t seen.

Gilda almost seemed bashful. She was distant, but never outright shy, and the softened tone she spoke with told Silver maybe he got to her. Just a bit, though. Silver’s time as a guard taught him the tough ones don’t play ‘show-and-tell’ with their emotions. The rattling of the tracks had become all too invasive, and Silver felt the urge to break the silence.

“Have you ever been to Coltistrano?”

“Eh, kinda,” Gilda replied, her eyes glued to the passing scenery outside. “Kind of a dump, from what I remember, but I’ve been to a lot of places.”

“You must not have gotten a good look, then,” Silver leaned back, relaxed. “I grew up there. It’s quaint, yeah, but it’s the best place in Equestria, for sure.”

“Uh-huh, right, better than Ponyville.”

“Why’s that?”

Gilda didn’t respond, instead electing to maintain her watch on the canvas of nature outside the train, the orange glow of the late day sky its background. The rattling dominated the cabin once again.

“Where all have you been?” Silver piped up.

“All over, I guess,” Gilda began. “Las Pegasus, Griffish Isles, Manehatten, just to name a few. There are some nastier places, too, but you’d have no interest in them.”

“Why not?”

“‘Cause they’re bad places, and pretty ponies don’t go to bad places, right?” Gilda teased. “They just hang out in rainbow castles or cities of clouds or-”

“Deserted islands treating mortal wounds?” Silver interjected, giving a smile of his own.

“Fair point,” Gilda returned, smiling. She ceased her teasing and elected to, once again, stare out the window before the blaring train whistle called out. The conductor of the train came through the door of their car and spoke aloud.

“Coltistrano, everypony! Please watch your step getting off. Next stop, Canterlot!”

The ponies in the car didn’t budge, save for Silver and Gilda. The two gathered their belongings and made their way to the exit. Through the passing windows, Silver looked out upon an unfamiliar town. His pace quickened, passing over Gilda and rushing out to the train platform. When they both hit the worn wood of the platform floor Silver stood with his mouth agape.

“Told ya,” Gilda stated. “Kind of a dump.”

The two began their walk through town. Ponies with matted fur and baggy eyes passed them, some dressed in worn clothing. The buildings and cottages stood dilapidated, with some missing their thatching and marked by colorful symbols. Silver could only stare at the image. The familiar streets he walked as a child now seemed almost haunted. As they neared the town center they spotted rows of tents and peddlers along the main road, all shouting and bargaining with each other over what paltry amount they had to sell. Coltistrano was practically derelict.

“This…” Silver whispered. “This isn’t right. What happened?”

“What do you mean?” Gilda replied. “It’s been this way for, like, years.”

“No, no,” Silver said breathily. “I was here seven years ago. There was a festival right there, around the central fountain. T-The buildings were white and clean, and everypony was laughing and dancing. This isn’t right, Gilda, this isn’t my home.”

Silver’s legs began trembling. The alien town invaded the corpse of his home, and proved too much for him to take in at once. He bolted, a panicked Gilda following behind as they weaved through the streets and shouted after him. Silver bounded over refuse and past broken homes, his long argent mane and unshorn fetlocks whipping in the wind, until he came to a screeching halt, leaving skid marks from his hooves in the dusty road. Gilda nearly collided with him and before she could yell at him she took note of their destination.

“The heck is this?” Gilda shot at Silver, panting.

“It’s home.”

Silver trembled as he took a step towards the stoop. The image before him clashed with his memory: a worn and chipped door, once painted a bright verdant green, now rested against and equally faded building, almost grey with age and disrepair. His senses tunneled around the doorway, stepping closer and closer to it. A soft click snapped Silver to his senses and his stomach sank as the door opened. A mare emerged, her chestnut coat dotted with scant white hairs, her mane in a bun and cutie mark with a brilliant red heart in front of crossed honey dippers. The mare slowly turned and met Silver’s gaze. She froze.

Gilda could only watch the scene unfolding before her. The mare began to shake, her lip quivering. Silver took one last step forward.

“Mom?”

“No…” Honey whispered, shaking her head. “No, you weren’t real last time and you aren’t real now.”

She trembled. Honey bit her lip and summoned all the strength she could to keep standing. She tried to turn away, but this image of her son was too real, more than an image. Like she could touch it. Silver stood his ground at the foot of the stoop, a soft smile on his face.

“It’s me, mom.” Silver stretched his foreleg out. “It’s Silver.”

Honey Hearts lost all control. She rushed down the stairs to her home and lunged into the chest of her son. She clenched with the strength only an earth pony could muster, sobbing and wailing into Silver’s shoulder. A stream of tears fell from Silver’s face and the two united ponies fell to the ground.

“My boy,” Honey sputtered. “My baby boy! I-I thought… after they returned, they said… th-they…”

Honey fell into her son again, the proof of her emotion staining Silver’s worn black jacket.

“Where have you been?”

“It’s a long story,” Silver said, cradling Honey’s head in his forelegs. “Where’s dad? There’s a lot I have to tell you.”

Honey’s face turned gaunt as she looked to Silver. More tears fell as she tried valiantly to straighten herself.

“Sweetie, there’s…” Honey said, softly. “Come inside. I have a lot to tell you, too.”

PreviousChapters Next