• Published 21st Jul 2019
  • 1,656 Views, 18 Comments

Luna's Daughter - KayeStar



Ruling the night? Guarding dreams? Guiding ponies? Luna's got that down pat. But after an abandoned foal takes her heart, she takes on a whole new challenge: motherhood

  • ...
0
 18
 1,656

Foster Care

"I don't want to!" Selene yelled. "No, no, no!"

Luna stayed calm as Selene had her fit. She kept her voice to a gentle tone. "I understand you don't want to hear this, but I cannot permit you to remain living this way."

"No! I won't go!" Selene argued, eyes full of tears. "I hate you now, Luna!"

Luna stood quietly, allowing Selene to tire herself out with her tantrum, saying nothing more until she calmed. After she lost too much energy to continue, Luna spoke again.

"What scares you, Selene? What scares you so much to make sleeping in an alley the better choice?"

Selene didn't reply, but poked in her lips.

"I think I know," Luna whispered, lowering her head to Selene's ear. "You don't want him to find you. You ran away and you're scared you'll be forced to be in his care again. Is that it?"

Selene nodded as her eyes filled with tears again, but with too little energy to cry, she could only whimper and gasp a few times.

"That won't happen."

Selene looked up at Luna, trying desperately to wipe her eyes dry. Luna wiped them gently for her before continuing to speak.

"I am taking you to this place, so you will be safe. That includes from your father." She laid down to be at eye level with Selene. "When I said he will not hurt you, I didn't mean solely in your dreams. Listen to my words. He will never hurt you again. Will you come with me?"

For a few moments, Selene only stared at Luna. She couldn't answer her, not because she didn't want to, but because she could get no sound from her mouth. This had to be a dream. This pony, who she met in her dreams, who saved her twice, who was trying to save her a third time... It had to be a dream. You only meet strangers who save you in dreams, right?

"Why?" Selene finally asked, so softly, Luna had to ask her to repeat herself.

"Because," Luna replied as she gestured for Selene to climb on her back, "you need help."

Selene grabbed her blanket, set herself on Luna's back, and held her hooves around Luna's neck. Luna walked off, heading toward Ponyville's central.

"And I care."


By the time Luna reached their destination, Selene had fallen fast sleep, though Luna singing at her request was partially to blame. Luna came to a large, two-story house, where two ponies, one with eyeglasses and another with her wavy hair tied into a ponytail, were waiting outside. So as not to wake Selene, Luna quietly approached and spoke to them.

"Melodía, Ivory," Luna whispered.

"Good evening, Your Highness," Melodía replied with the same softness. "Ah, this must be the little one?"

"Indeed," Luna answered with a nod. "If you were expecting us, I presume Princess Twilight spoke with you."

"We were shocked to get a visit from the princess---"

"---let alone, two of them now," Ivory muttered.

"But after Princess Twilight explained, we were onboard," Melodía finished. "We promise you she will be in good hooves in our care."

"You aren't planning to drop her off and leave her, are you?" Ivory asked, nervously playing with her ponytail. "While she sleeps?"

"I will return before she wakes," Luna assured them. She passed Selene onto Melodía's back. "She is very tired, so I am certain she'll sleep through the night. I can ensure that." Luna hopped off her hooves and spread her wings. "Good evening to you. I must go."

Luna flew off, leaving the two ponies with the young filly. They headed inside, trotting quietly to avoid disturbing her even the slightest, until they came to a small bedroom. Ivory picked her up from Melodía's back and both ponies set her into the small bed, using the blanket they took notice she had to cover her. Ivory sighed.

"So many, Melodía, and my heart is no less tender for each of them."

"I agree, but like the others, we will work to find her a loving home. It's what we signed up for."

"I know, but she will be no different, will she? We will get attached and when it's time for her to go..."

Melodía placed her hoof around her friend. "I share the feeling. But we can always smile we had the chance to have them."