• Published 21st Jul 2019
  • 1,674 Views, 18 Comments

Luna's Daughter - KayeStar



Ruling the night? Guarding dreams? Guiding ponies? Luna's got that down pat. But after an abandoned foal takes her heart, she takes on a whole new challenge: motherhood

  • ...
0
 18
 1,674

Princess Picnic

"Has she really gotten close to her?" Sombra was asking, trying to change the subject from the aggravation of the royal day court that ended just minutes ago.

"I don't think it could be more obvious," Celestia replied as she flexed her elegant wings to relax herself. "It reminds me so much of how I felt when Twilight was a filly."

"How you felt? My sweet Celestia, you still feel that way about her," Sombra said with a small chuckle. "Admit it. You couldn't love her more if she were your own daughter."

"I don't recall ever denying it," Celestia stated proudly.


"Luna's coming! Luna's coming! Luna's coming!" The little filly could not stop bouncing on her bed with joy. Not even when she fell off and hit the floor with a thud did she stop cheering. "When? When? When is she coming?"

"Calm down there, Selene," Melodía told her. "Luna didn't specify a date for her visit."

"What does that mean?"

"It means she doesn't know when she's coming either," Melodía answered. "We only know she's coming next month."

That was a little upsetting for Selene, but rather than feel down, she took it as Luna's way of surprising her. She drummed her hooves happily at the idea. As long as Luna was really coming, it didn't matter when.

"In the meantime, Luna wants you to have this," Ivory said, passing a blue envelope sealed with a crescent moon sticker.

Selene quickly ripped open the envelope, but her excitement quickly faded after she took out the letter and remembered a problem: she couldn't read so well yet! Ivory alleviated that problem by offering to read the letter for her, instantly bringing back her excitement.

"Ooh, maybe she'll surprise me by teaching me how to read when she visits!"

"Maybe," Ivory said. "Let's read what she wrote to you."

Dear Selene,

Your book is the loveliest gift I've received in a long time. I have it displayed in my room. You are quite the artist, young one. Though our time together is in your dreams, know that it is still special. It is no less meaningful than it would be if we met in the waking world. I enjoy the dreams you've shared with me. Those dreams show me how spirited and full of life you are. I look forward to my visits of your dreams as much as you do. Should there ever be a time when I don't visit as much, please know it's not because I don't want to or I've forgotten about you. I want to always be here for you.

I love you, Selene.

Yours truly,

Luna

"I love you too, Luna!" Selene said, hugging the letter.

"Look on the back, Selene," Ivory told her.

Selene turned over the letter. On the back was a drawn, detailed picture of Selene riding on Luna's back, holding on to her neck as Luna was flying through the air. "Do you think this is the surprise? Luna's going to take me flying?! We did that in my dreams!"

"You'll have to wait and see when she visits," Melodía told her. "But don't get too excited or you might be disappointed if that's not the surprise."

"Oh. Okay. But she's coming!" Selene went back to her joyful bouncing. "Luna's coming! Luna's coming!"

Melodía and Ivory could only watch sweetly as Selene reveled in her excitement. It'd been a long time since they had such an energetic filly in their home. But they'd been fostering long enough to know the time was getting closer. They would miss her.


Selene searched through the dress-up chest. She knew she didn't really need to dress up, but she wanted to look special for Luna's first visit to her in the waking world since she dropped her off at the foster home. The costumes were fun, but the only one close to something she felt appropriate was a lime green princess gown. She stared in the mirror at herself for a while. She didn't really like it, but it would have to do. She searched again through the chest and found some accessories to match: a pair of small, pearl earrings and glittery green plastic slippers. The slippers weren't really comfortable, so she tossed them aside and chose a pair of green bracelets with small, white bows on them instead. She looked in the mirror again. Still not the best outfit, but it looked a little better. A little.

"Selene?" She turned to see Melodía in the doorway. "Why are you wearing that?"

"I have to look special for Luna!" Selene answered with delight. "This is the only dress I could find."

"I'm sure Pri---" Melodía quickly cleared her throat. "I'm sure Luna will be glad to see you, no matter how you look."

"I know! I know! I just can't believe she's really coming when I'm awake!"

"I guess you're ready to go," Ivory said, joining Melodía at the door. "Let's not be late then."

"Late?" Selene asked.

"Ivory is taking you to meet up with Luna," Melodía explained. "I'm going to stay behind to look after the other fillies."

"Don't you want to see Luna too?" Selene asked.

"I'll get to see her when you two return tonight," Melodía assured her. "Now, hurry along. We're sure Luna is a patient pony, but you wouldn't want to keep her waiting, would you?"

"No! No! No! I'm ready!" Selene cheered. She raced out of her bedroom and hurried out of the front door.

"If you hurry, you can catch her before she runs to the other end of Equestria," Melodía laughed to Ivory.

"I'll give you a transcript of the journey when I come back," Ivory joked. She then rushed out the door to catch up with the excited filly before she could get too far.

Thankfully, Selene had only gotten as far as the town's square. "Wait, Selene! We must go this way!" Ivory called. Selene stopped in her tracks, turned around, and ran to where Ivory was pointing while Ivory hurried to catch up with her again. This time, she blocked Selene's path, and caught her in her hoof when she tried to jump around her.

"Sorry, Ivory! I want to hurry so we're not late!"

"I know, dear, but don't go running off on your own," Ivory warned her. "Let's walk together. I can't have you getting lost."

"I won't get lost. I know how to get all around Ponyville!"

"But do you know where we're meeting Luna?"

"Oh... Guess not. Okay, I'll stay next to you."

"Good. Now, this way." Ivory and Selene headed down to the outskirts of Ponyville, where Selene hadn't been since coming to her foster home. Selene tried to imagine all the games they'd play and the fun they could have together. It could be just like her dreams! Well, without the danger.

Though it felt like forever for the little filly, up ahead, she finally caught sight of the tall, blue mare. She couldn't help herself and dashed right up to her for a hug. Despite Luna had never been one for public displays of affection from anypony except her sister, she immediately returned the excited embrace. And there was that strange, warm feeling again.

"Luna! I'm so glad you're here! Are you happy to see me?"

"Of course, dear Selene," Luna replied tenderly. "I'm happy I can be here with you today."

"I'll leave you two to have your day," Ivory said. "Have a good time. We need to have her back by 8pm."

"I will return her punctually," Luna promised Ivory.

"I'll tell you all about it! You and Melodía have fun without me!" Selene shouted as Ivory left. "Bye now!" She looked toward Luna again. "What do you have for us to do today? Are we going to fight snake bandits like in my last dream?"

"No." Luna grabbed a book from one of her saddlebags and placed it in front of Selene. "But I can teach you to read about bandits."

Selene's eyes widened with renewed excitement.