• Published 19th Jul 2019
  • 4,573 Views, 225 Comments

Tears of Sunlight - JWolfSilver



The next chapter in Sunset's story is about to begin and it all starts with the friendship games. A story of family, friendship, magic and so much more is just around the corner.

  • ...
9
 225
 4,573

Chapter 7: The Next Chapter

After the cheering died down, medals were awarded and the students started chatting. Sunset watched as Celestia, Luna and Cadance started talking to various students and seemed to escort a couple inside the building. Sunset knew exactly what they were doing, sending kids to the nurse’s office.

Sunset, being her hospital hating self, attempted to avoid them. For a moment, Sunset had apparently forgotten who she lived with and they both cornered her.

“You can either go to the nurse, or to the hospital. Take your pick.” Celestia said.

Sunset sighed and began to walk towards the school, followed by Celestia while Luna continued her rounds.

“Did you find Twilight?” She asked.

“We decided to bring you two in last.” Celestia said, “I at least know that you have a wonderful case of road rash.”

“Was anyone else hurt?”

“Other than a small scrape or two from tripping, none.” Celestia said.

Sunset smiled as they rounded the corner to the nurse’s office and walked in where Nurse Tenderheart was waiting on them.

“Did Twilight come in yet?” She asked, voice full of concern.

“Not yet.” She said.

Sunset frowned as Tender Heart lead her to a bed and ordered her to take off her shirt.

“Other than minor road rash, your back is fine.” The nurse said then started pressing against her neck and shoulders.

Sunset winced when she reached a tender spot on her left shoulder.

“Ow! Would you stop that?” Sunset growled.

Celestia glared at Sunset, causing her to glance away.

“She just bruised it, she’s fine.” Tender Heart concluded as Sunset pulled her shirt and jacket back on.

It was then that the door opened and Cadence came in with Twilight and Spike.

“Sunset!” Spike said and came running over, “Are you alright?”

Sunset glanced at Twilight who waited for an answer as well. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

Twilight smiled and Spike just urged for Sunset to pet him in which she obliged.

Celestia ushered her out of the room and out side, not giving her time to think about the possible injuries Twilight might have.

She found her friends hanging out by the portal so, she went to meet them.

“Sunset!” Pinkie said and enveloped her in a hug, causing her to wince and jerk away slightly, “Oh, are you OK?”

“I’m fine.” Sunset said, her friends gave her unconvinced looks, “Seriously, I’m fine. I have some road rash and a bruised shoulder, that’s it.”

They continued to stare, frustrating Sunset but with her medical history, she couldn’t really blame them.

“You really think Celestia would let me stay here and talk to you guys if it was anything major?” She said logically, “Where’s the trust?”

They seemed satisfied in her answer and Rarity spoke., “We do trust you dear, just not with your physical health.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said, “You’ve gotta learn to tell us when you’re hurt and stop being so stubborn.”

Sunset shrugged, knowing full well that Rainbow was right.

“Anyway,” rainbow continued, “That was totally awesome!”

“You looked like an angel.” Fluttershy agreed.

Sunset smiled but didn’t say anything as her friends went on and on about how cool the whole battle was and how awesome she looked. She let her mind wander to Princess Twilight as she walked away from the group to lean against the portal, smiling at the fact that she hadn’t actually needed her. She believed she even managed to figure out how magic here actually worked.

“Still no word from Princess Twilight?” Sunset looked up to see Fluttershy standing next to her.

“Not yet.” She admitted, “But, I think I may have figured out how magic works in this world.” Her friends now gathered around her once again, “We pony up when we are showing the truest part of ourselves.” She smiled, “I was so busy waiting for someone else to give me the answers that I gave up looking for them myself. I’m sure that there will be more magical problems popping up from now on. Princess Twilight has her own problems to deal with and can’t always be around to help us.”

“But maybe I can be?” A familiar voice spoke, drawing the group’s attention to the human Twilight approach with Principal Celestia.

Sunset looked to Celestia and gave her a wide smile, “It seems that we have a new Wonder Colt here at Canterlot High.”

“I’m not sure how much help I would be,” Twilight said nervously, “But I’d like to try if you would all give me a chance.”

Sunset wasn’t sure which of her friends smiled the widest but Celestia was sure that Sunset was the happiest at that moment.

“I’m sure I can count on you girls to make her feel at home.” Celestia said.

Sunset grinned, walking over and draping an arm over her shoulder, “You sure can!”

It ended up turning into a big group hug and Celestia simply stood there with a smile.

Cadence strolled up and they all broke apart, “Celestia and I have some things to discuss. If you want to get to know your new friends, Twilight, I can give you a lift home after wards.”

Twilight smiled, “Thanks Dean Cadence.”

Cadence smiled, “Now, Twilight, now that you aren’t going to Crystal Prep, you can get into the habit of calling me Cadence again.”

Twilight nodded and the two educators walked off towards the school.

Sunset leaned back against the portal, “So, I’m guessing you want to know more.”

Twilight nodded.

“Well first off,” Sunset knocked on the portal, “This isn’t an ordinary pedestal, this is a portal into that other world.”

Sunset went on to explain the basics and each of her friends left one by one as they either got bored or their rides came. She figured that she’d get all the ‘need to knows’ out in one go but, she soon found it hard to keep her eyes open, same with Twilight.

“It feels like all my energy has been zapped all of a sudden.” Sunset said, resting against the steps of the school.

Twilight nodded, “I think that we’re coming down from our adrenaline high from earlier.”

Sunset nodded, “I’m going to sleep for a few days.”

Twilight snickered, “If you do, you should go to a hospital. It wouldn’t be natural you might have some weird disease or something.”

Sunset smirked.

They remained quiet for a few moments before Sunset broke the silence.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you like that in the field.” Sunset said. “I came off as if I didn’t care.”

“It’s fine.” Twilight said, “You were just worried about your friends.”

“It’s not fine.” Sunset insisted, “You were just curious. I should have helped you, not yelled at you.” She looked at Twilight, “Can you honestly tell me that you would have released that magic if I had just been straight with you?”

Twilight’s silence was all the answer she needed.

“I’m sorry, Twilight.” Sunset said, “I should have controlled my temper.”

Twilight smiled, “I forgive you.”

Sunset grinned.

“What did you mean when you said you’ve made the same mistake?” Twilight asked suddenly, and Sunset tensed, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to press a touchy subject.”

Sunset looked at the sky with a deep frown, “Sorry, I just don’t really like talking about it.”

Twilight could see that Sunset’s mood had dampened considerably.

“I turned into a demon too.” Sunset said, much to Twilight’s surprised, “It was about, five months ago. I blew a hole in the school and put a crater in the middle of the court yard.”

Sunset didn’t want to go into detail with someone she barely knew. Living with Celestia showed her that each counterpart is vastly different from each other. This was not Princess Twilight.

“Did someone save you too?” She asked.

Sunset smiled at the irony, “Yeah.” She then turned her head to face her, “Did you get hurt?”

Twilight smirked, “Nope! The nurse said I’m 100%.”

Sunset chuckled and could tell that she wasn’t lying. She didn’t have the scars. Why though?

Another question for another day I guess. Sunset thought.

Cadence came out of the school a few minutes later and Sunset waved Twilight off as she immediately started to ramble on about magic to Cadence. Sunset trusted that Celestia stressed to Cadence about magic being on a need to know basis and that Twilight will keep it as such as well.

Celestia and Luna came out soon after and Sunset rose to her feet, flinching slightly when she stretched.

“I’m glad it’s not broken. I really don’t think I have another hospital trip in me.” Sunset said, half joking.

Celestia chuckled and wrapped an arm around Sunset’s shoulders, giving her a small squeeze, “Neither do I.”

Sunset smiled as she and Celestia got in Celestia’s car.

Sunset sighed in relief as she sank into the leather seats. Within moments she could feel her eyelids begging to rest.

Celestia had a few things that she wanted to say to Sunset but she could see the exhaustion so she decided to wait.

The teen managed to keep from falling asleep on the ride from the school but she wordlessly entered the house and headed up to her room, shedding her jacket and backpack and just falling into her bed. Sunset didn’t even have time to think about anything else before she drifted to sleep.

***

Celestia heard Sunset’s door shut as she entered the house so she assumed she may not be able to speak to the young girl until the morning.

Celestia flopped down on the couch, soon followed by Luna when she got into the house.

“Magic isn’t going away any time soon, is it?” Luna asked rhetorically.

Celestia sighed, “No, it isn’t.”

“And Sunset was…” Luna trailed off.

The older sister smiled, “I am so proud of her.”

“I know.” Luna nodded, “That was quite the spectacle. She and Twilight looked so tired afterwards.”

Celestia nodded, “Still are. Sunset struggled to stay awake in the car. I’m pretty sure she’s already asleep.”

“We aren’t going to see her much tomorrow if the morning after the battle of the bands was anything to go by.” Luna said.

“Magic seems to have become a part of our lives now.”

Luna snickered, “Well, you did adopt a girl from an alternate dimension.”

Celestia laughed, “Well I suppose it comes with the territory, then.”

They remained silent for a moment before Luna spoke again, “Pizza?”

Celestia nodded, “Order A cheese too, just in case she wants some when she wakes up.”

Luna gave her sister a thumbs up before dialing the pizza place.

While Luna ordered, Celestia want up stairs to check on Sunset. She quietly opened the door to see Sunset laying on her side, breathing softly as she slept. Her leather jacket and school bag were thrown haphazardly on the floor. Other than that, her room was always fairly clean. Occasionally she’d have pencil crayons, sketchbooks and/or homework laying on the floor but Sunset liked to keep her room clean. Well, mostly as her bed was usually a mess. Her messy bed did make it easier for Celestia to pull the covers over her and place a kiss on her forehead before leaving the room.

Author's Note:

Yeah....really creative chapter title right? It fit though considering how this little arc ended.