• Published 19th Jul 2019
  • 4,556 Views, 225 Comments

Tears of Sunlight - JWolfSilver



The next chapter in Sunset's story is about to begin and it all starts with the friendship games. A story of family, friendship, magic and so much more is just around the corner.

  • ...
9
 225
 4,556

Chapter 13: The Invite

As Sunset entered the band room, she spotted Twilight reading silently on the bleachers, yet to notice her entry. She wanted to leave, to avoid the task at hand but she knew that would only make her situation worse. She didn’t want Twilight to hate her or think that she didn’t like her. Continuing what she has been is not going to help the situation.

So, Sunset composed herself and walked over, sitting next to Twilight who glanced over to her.

“Hello, Sunset.” Twilight said, a little flatly.

“Hey, Twilight.” Sunset nervously spoke.

They sat there for a few moments, silent, glancing at each other. Eventually, Sunset was the first to speak.

“I’m sorry for how I acted yesterday.” Sunset said.

Twilight sighed in relief that Sunset was the one to bring it up, “What happened? Did I say something wrong? You look really upset.”

“It’s complicated.” Sunset said. “Things happened in the fall, even before then actually, that’s hard for me to talk about. Yesterday I panicked. I’m really sorry for treating you the way I did.”

Twilight nodded slowly, “So you have post traumatic stress disorder?”

This took Sunset a bit by surprise but after a moment of thinking about it, she shrugged, “I guess. I’ve never really been diagnosed but yeah that would make sense.”

“I know this is really personal and we’ve only known each other a short time, but I really want to know what happened.” Twilight said gently, “I’m not good with people and I’ve never really had a friend before but I keep thinking that there is this big secret that only I don’t know about!”

“You don’t like not knowing things, do you?” Sunset inquired.

“No!” Twilight said, “I’m a scientist, a straight A student. There isn’t a whole lot I don’t know. But people and friendship is a subject I know very little about. I even read some books on making friends over the weekend and I learned that friends need to be honest in order to have a stable relationship.”

Sunset giggled, “Only you would read a book on friendship.”

Twilight blushed, embarrassed, “I didn’t want to make a fool of myself.”

Sunset swallowed her laughter and gave Twilight a small smile, “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not exactly an expert at friendship either. I didn’t have any friends until about four months ago.”

This surprised the purple teen, “How? Why? You seem so nice and you obviously care about your friends.”

Sunset shrugged, “It’s a long story but I don’t really want to get into it right now.”

“Oh, OK.” Twilight said.

Sunset sighed deeply, “Look, I want to tell you, it’s only fair that you know. Just not here.”

“I understand.”

“You want to come over after school?” Sunset asked, “It might kill two words with one stone.”

Twilight grinned, “I’d love to!”

Then anxiety crept in, I’ve never been to a friend’s house before! What are her parents like? What if I make a fool of myself and they never let Sunset see me again?

Twilight’s frantic thoughts were interrupted when Sunset spoke again, “Do you want to ride on my bike or find another way? I know a lot of people aren’t comfortable with motorcycles.”

“I’ll ask my dad to drive me.” Twilight said with no hesitation.

Sunset gave her a small smile and pulled out her sketchbook.

***

To Twilight, the day had been a lot better than the ones before. Sunset actually spoke to her, though she seemed uneasy for the first half of the day. Sunset’s uneasiness was not do to Twilight specifically but from the expectation of telling Twilight the truth.

When the final bell rang, Sunset and Twilight left the classroom and headed to their lockers.

“You have the address right?” Sunset asked.

Twilight flipped open the corner of her notebook revealing the address Sunset had written inside at lunch, “Unless this it wrong…”

Sunset smiled, “No it’s right.”

They split off to their lockers and packed up their things for the weekend.

Sunset walked back over to Twilight and leaned on the locker next to her, “I’d usually walk out with you but I have to go grab my helmet and keys.”

Twilight gave her an odd look.

“Principal Celestia wouldn’t let me drive home last night.” Sunset said, “I have to go to the office.”

“Your Principal can take your keys?” Twilight asked.

Sunset actually laughed at that, “I’ll see you soon.” She said as she walked off towards the office.

As Sunset walked in, Raven barely looked up before pointing to the door to the Principal’s office. After muttering a quick thanks, Sunset knocked on the door before walking in and shutting the door.

Celestia was typing something into her computer so Sunset sat in a chair across from her and waited patiently until she was done her task.

“What is another word for wrongdoing?” Celestia asked suddenly.

“What’s the context?” Sunset asked.

“I’m trying to write a letter to the board of directors. Apparently, some of the parents are pressing charges against Principal Cinch for what happened at the games.” Celestia explained.

“Oh, uh, you could use misconduct or if you really want to hit home, dereliction of duty.” Sunset said.

“Oh I like that.” Celestia said, “Maybe I should have you write all my letters to the board.”

Sunset laughed, “No thanks. Besides, I think they would catch on with all the colorful language.”

“So,” Celestia said, giving Sunset her full attention, “How was your day?”

“Really good.” She sighed out, “I apologized and she seemed to understand.”

“Did you tell her?”

“Vaguely but I took your suggestion and invited her over tonight.” Sunset said, “Plus it will be a good opportunity to tell her I’m adopted.”

“I think that’s a wonderful idea, Sunset.” Celestia gave her a warm smile and reached under her desk and handed Sunset her helmet and keys, “Drive safely. I’ll see you when I get home.”

“Thanks.” Sunset said and got up from her seat, “See you later!”

***

Sunset waited anxiously for Twilight to arrive so, she did her homework in the kitchen while waiting for her to arrive.

Finally, twenty long minutes later, there was a knock at the door and Sunset almost fell off the stool. She composed herself as she went to the door and opened it. Twilight gave a nervous smile as Sunset noticed the tall light blue skinned man standing just behind her.

“Hey, Twilight.” Sunset greeted as she tried to keep her voice level, “Hello, Mr. Sparkle. It’s nice to meet you.”

He offered her a hand and she shook it warily, “It’s nice to finally meet one of Twilight's friends!” He said in a chipper tone, catching Sunset a bit off guard.

Sunset recovered, “It’s nice to have a friend like, Twilight.”

“I hope it’s OK, but I brought Spike with me.” Twilight said.

Sunset smiled, “Of course. Though be warned, my family really likes fluffy things.”

This caused both Twilight and her father to laugh.

“So, I was wondering if it was possible to meet with one of your parents before I go.” Night Light asked.

“Sorry, they’re still at work.” Sunset said.

He nodded understandingly and smiled. “That’s alright, I’ll meet with them when I come pick Twilight up. “You girls have a time in mind?”

“Well, uh, that depends.” Sunset said, “Do you want to stay for dinner?”

Twilight looked at her dad, “How about 8?”

He nodded, “You girls have fun.”

“Bye dad!” Twilight said, stepping into the house as Sunset held the door for her, followed closely by a silent Spike.

As soon as the door shut, all they could hear was a loud “YES!”, no doubt coming from the man who had just left their presence.

Twilight blushed and Sunset just broke out into laughter.

“Sorry, I’ve never been invited over to someone’s house before.” Twilight admitted.

Sunset chuckled, “I’ve never invited anyone over before.”

“Well then it’s a first for both of us.” Twilight smiled.

Sunset returned it and trained her eyes on Spike, “So can you still talk?” she asked.

Spikes tail started to wag, “Yeah! It’s nice to not have to whisper or just bark. Boring.”

Sunset blinked, “That’s going to take some getting used to.”

“Did you not have talking dogs in…your world?” Twilight asked.

“Equestria. And no, even there dogs couldn’t talk. Not house pets at least.” Sunset said, scratching spike behind the ears.

“Hear that Twilight? I’m one of a kind.” He said, wiggling his eyebrows, doggie style.

Twilight rolled her eyes and reached into her bag and pulled out a little chew toy, “Whatever. Go play.”

Sunset chuckled as Twilight dropped the toy and he took it only a few feet away.

“So I guess we should get this over with. I know you have questions.” Sunset said, gesturing to the couch.

Twilight sat down as directed and Sunset sat in the chair next to the couch. Sunset could tell Twilight wanted to say something so, she gave her a reassuring smile, “It’s OK, Twilight. Ask your questions.”

Twilight seemed to relax a bit, “Everyone has been saying you and I are alike but won’t tell me why but they say you are still touchy about it.”

Sunset closed her eyes and took a deep breath, “Five months ago, I turned into a demon.”

Author's Note:

AAAAAND....that's two! It's also the end of what I have finished so the next update will be whenever I can. Sorry but I hope you enjoyed this!