• Published 19th Jul 2019
  • 4,555 Views, 225 Comments

Tears of Sunlight - JWolfSilver



The next chapter in Sunset's story is about to begin and it all starts with the friendship games. A story of family, friendship, magic and so much more is just around the corner.

  • ...
9
 225
 4,555

Chapter 11: Bad Advice

Author's Note:

Wow almost forgot! It's actual new chapter day!

The next couple days past in a flash. Sunset and Twilight, though constantly being around each other, were still awkward interacting in person. They texted after school and had the occasional phone call with ease but in person, not so much. This was mainly due to Sunset. Twilight didn’t understand, Sunset was fun to talk to over text or on the phone but outside of that, she was quiet and barely gave her one word answers in class.

Twilight thought she understood what was happening, she just didn’t want it to be true. It happened once before, in elementary school.

So, after school, she went home, dropped off her school stuff and texted her brother.

Twi: Hey Shinny, are you working tonight?

A few minutes past before her phone lit up with a response.

S. Armor: I’m about to finish up my shift. What’s up?

Twi: I’m having trouble with a friend at school and I was hoping to talk about it with you.

S. Armor: Twily, you have a friend? I’m so happy for you! How about I call mom and dad, convince them to let you come have dinner with Cadence and I?

Twi: Thank you!

Twilight turned her phone off and grinned. It’s been a long time since she’s had dinner with her brother and his girlfriend. She went to get changed before receiving a text from Shining Armor that he got the OK.

So, Twilight sat in her room and did her homework until, almost an hour later, a voice called through the house.

“Twily? You home?” Shining called.

She hopped out of her desk and practically ran to her brother and enveloped him in a hug. He was still dressed in his EMT uniform so she figured he probably got off work and came right over.

“It’s so good to see you.” Twilight said.

“It’s good to see you too.” He ruffled her bangs, “You’re getting so big.”

Twilight giggled, “It’s only been a few months.”

“In the last few days you changed schools, decided against Everton and made friends!” Shining said with pride, “Give me this.”

“Fine.” Twilight grumbled.

They both headed out to Shining’s Blue truck and he started to drive to wherever Cadence had decided they would eat.

“So, Cadence told me about the games.” He said.

Twilight shrunk in her seat. “How much did she tell you?”

Shining glanced over to her, “Are you OK?”

That gave Twilight her answer, “Oh I’m perfectly fine! Not a scratch.” She said with mock pep.

The older sibling sighed, “You know that’s not what I meant.”

“I’m fine Shining, really.” Twilight assured him.

They drove for a few minutes in silence.

“So, magic huh?” Shining said.

“Oh! Yes! I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. Not to mention the alternate dimension!” She said.

Shining blinked at the statement. “Wow.”

Twilight looked at him, “You actually believe me?”

“It’s hard to believe you and Cadence would make something up like this.” Shining said, “Did you tell mom and dad?”

“No.” She admitted, “They don’t even know Spike can talk yet.”

“WHAT?!” He yelled before almost getting hit by a car.

“It’s a long story.” Twilight said.

“Not today.” Shining said, “I can only handle so much.”

Twilight nodded in agreement, as they pulled into a restaurant parking lot.

Inside, they looked around before Cadence waved them over, clad in her blue suit and long pink and purple hair.

“Twilight!” cadence greeted with a hug, “How are you doing?”

“Better.” Twilight said, “You told Shining?”

Cadence sighed, “Yes, I needed someone to talk to. Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna had their own things to deal with.”

“It’s alright.” Twilight said, “I would have told him anyway if I ever needed him to dog sit Spike.”

“He can still,” Cadence looked around in a hushed whisper, “Talk?”

“You know too?” Shining asked.

Twilight nodded, “None of the girls think it’s going to be temporary.”

“This town is so weird.” Shining whined, laying his head on the table.

Cadence pat his head, “How’s Sunset and the other girls? You all getting along?”

“There’s more than one friend?!” Shining exclaimed.

Cadence smacked him.

“Oh, it’s fine.” Twilight said, “It’s surprising to me too. But that’s kind of what I wanted to talk about.”

Shining picked himself up and opened a menu, “Let’s order and then we’ll work through this problem of yours.”

So, they ordered and chatted about her new school and classes, Shining Armor’s job and Cadence’s raise and promotion.

Eventually, the waiter came with their food and it was time to get down to business.

“Now, I have this issue with Sunset.” Twilight said after a couple bites.

Cadence raised her brow, “What issue?”

“I’m not sure if she actually wants to be friends with me in public.” She explained, “It’s just that, she’s fun to talk to while texting or in a phone call but she’s so quiet and distant from me in class and at lunch. We share all our classes and we walk to and from together but…I don’t know.”

“Twily, why don’t you just ask her?” Shining said, “If you think she’s embarrassed by you, confront her about it and if she is, she won’t deny it. Has she tried to use you at all?”

“No.” Twilight said.

“Sunset was that girl who won the relay right?” Cadence asked suddenly.

Twilight nodded.

She seemed to be considering something before she spoke, “I agree with Shining, just talk to her. I’m pretty sure it’s not what you’re thinking.”

“How can you be so sure?” Twilight asked.

“That’s not my story to tell but I will tell you that you two are a lot alike.” Cadence said.

“But it’s not just that. Sometimes when we are talking, she’ll seem angry or something and I don’t know why!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Twilight,” Cadence said, “You need to talk to her. This could just be a big misunderstanding.”

“But what if she doesn’t want to talk?” Twilight asked.

“I think you’ll figure something out. Maybe your other friends would be able to help you.”

Twilight nodded and munched on her chicken, thinking about how she would approach Sunset.

***

“Come on Twilight, you can do this.” She mumbled to herself as she approached Sunset at the lockers after class.

She had spent all day trying to get up the nerve to talk to her about this, she was never really all that great at communicating and in her mere one week of having friends, she was already having issues with one. Still, she knew Cadence and Shining Armor were right, she needed to talk to her, it was the only way she would find the solution. It was like a social experiment. So, after the final bell rung, she and sunset walked to their lockers together.

“Sunset?” Twilight said.

The other girl turned to her with a small smile, “What’s up, Twilight?”

The purple girl gulped, trying to swallow her nerves, “We need to talk.”

Sunset gave her a look that was a cross between confused and concerned, “Sure.”

Maybe she really does want to be my friend. Thought Twilight

“You’ve been acting weird.” Twilight said

“We’ve known each other for a week.” Sunset said, still sounding confused.

“Right.” She said, apologetically, “I mean when we talk over the phone, you actually seem like you like talking to me but at school, you almost completely ignore me.”

“I don’t ignore you, Twilight.” Sunset said, “We’re in every class together.”

“Really? Cause it sure seems like it.” Twilight almost spat, surprising them both, “Sorry, I’m just frustrated and the only thing I can think of to explain how your acting is that you’re embarrassed to be friends with me!”

Sunset flinched and froze in place, “Twilight, I am not embarrassed by you, not even close.”

“They why won’t you talk to me at school?” Twilight said, “More than just one-word sentences.”

“I-It’s complicated Twilight but it’s not you. You’re really fun to talk to and I enjoy having you around.” Sunset said, struggling to keep her voice from cracking.

Twilight’s face softened, “I know we just met but just tell me why you avoid even looking at me.”

They had gathered a small audience and it did not go unnoticed by Sunset, their friends only a few feet away, watching in concern.

“N-not here, Twilight.” Sunset said, her voice wavered. She struggled to remain calm, “I need to go.”

Before Twilight could get in another word, Sunset turned on her heel and ran. It did not escape Twilights attention that Sunset’s breathing changed before she ran.

Was she going to cry? Twilight thought, still a little in shock. The crowd dispersed quickly and her friends came up quickly.

“It’s not you, darling.” Rarity said, backing away quickly, “I promise you; Sunset does enjoy your company.” She looked to the group, “I’ll find her.”

Rarity jogged off down the hall in the direction Sunset went while Twilight stood there a little hurt but mostly confused. She wasn’t really sure what exactly had happened.

“You OK, Twi?” Applejack asked.

“I don’t know. What happened?” she asked.

“Sunset ran off silly!” Pinkie said.

“Not what I meant.” Twilight said flatly, “How much did you guys see?”

“The whole thing.” Rainbow said.

Twilight nodded.

“To answer your question, she isn’t embarrassed by you.” Applejack said, “Sunset has had a rough five months.”

“What happened?” Twilight asked.

“It’s probably better if Sunset tells you the whole story,” Rainbow said, “Something happened at the fall formal and she was in a really bad spot for a really long time.”

“She came out of it eventually, with a lot of help.” Fluttershy added, “She’s a great friend, I promise she’s not doing this on purpose.

Just then, Vice-Principal Luna walked up, surprised to see the small group huddled in the nearly empty hall.

“What is going on here?” She asked.

The other girls looked to Twilight and then back at Luna. After finding two people missing from the group, she got the message.

“What happened?” Luna demanded.

“Sunset and Twilight had a bit of an argument. Apparently, she’s been acting weird with her at school.” Applejack explained, “Rarity went after her.”

“I’ll locate Principal Celestia.” Luna said, in her usual Vice-Principal tone, “You five should head home before your parents start to worry.”

“Yes, Vice-Principal Luna.” They all said in unison.

After she walked away Twilight held a concerned expression, “Is Sunset going to get in trouble? Why is she getting the principal?”

“That is something else that would be better coming from Sunset.” Rainbow said.

“Oh, but don’t worry, she’s not in trouble.” Fluttershy said.

Twilight nodded but she couldn’t help but think that somehow, she once again messed something up with her potential friendship with Sunset.

The five girls exited the school and opted to go to Sugar Cube Corner until they hear word from either Rarity or Sunset.