• Published 16th Jul 2019
  • 5,218 Views, 287 Comments

Twilight's Second Life - deadpansnarker



Twilight Sparkle wakes up one morning, to find she's living with her family and is a filly again. She's not in Canterlot but in Ponyville though, and that's just the beginning of the changes. Like her new school, and the identity of the Headmare...

  • ...
12
 287
 5,218

Chapter Three: First Days At School Are Always Tough

Unaware of the consternation her sudden episode was having on her dear school friends, Twilight's headlong dash for the school continued on unabated.

Anypony on her path who deigned assist the visibly agitated filly was swiftly left behind in a cloud of smoke. The undaunted youngster had already reached the conclusion that any further explanation of her unique situation would further define her as coo-coo crazy...

...And it would almost certainly be impossible to reach the truth of this mockery, if she was stuck in a padded cell. Of course I'm speaking rhetorically, they'd never do that to anycreature my age, apart from Cozy Glow, but that was a special case...

"Ow, my brain!" Twilight cursed herself, realising she needed to focus on the here and now instead of overanalysing all possible actions and consequences. "I haven't changed at all since foalhood, have I? Freaking out over every little thing, even circumstances I have no control over. Maybe if I'd got some therapy when I was still this age, I wouldn't have grown up with my neuroses in hyperdrive half the time. Well, not much I can do about that now. All I have to do is climb over this hill, and then..."

What Twilight Sparkle referred to was the location of her old School Of Friendship, at least where it should be. In this crazy alternate dimension, who's to say what happened to it? She reasoned, not without justification.

And on that front at least, there was some good and bad news.

The positive part was the fact that the school seemed more-or-less untouched by the shifted timeline. It was still painted her favourite purplish colour, every room was the same size and even the four waterfalls dutifully filled the nearby stream with crystal-clear water.

The bad stuff? Well, that mostly affected the unicorn's ego. Her six-pronged cutie mark motif no longer proudly hung from the front, which was to be expected as she naturally was no longer in charge.

I'd sure like to meet who is though, maybe then I'll get some answers...Twilight frowned, less at the loss of personal prestige and more regarding whatever could've been responsible for this travesty. Judging by what Ocellus told me, the new headmare doesn't sound very interested in Friendship. I just hope she hasn't corrupted the rest of my friends with her beliefs, if they're still teachers here that is...

Once again, the sheer number of queries which ran like wild horses through the prodigious filly's mind threatened to overwhelm her, so in an uncharacteristic display of impulse she decided to just trot inside and see what was up.

"I sure miss wings round about now, these hooves get tired much too easily." Twilight noted to herself, whilst passing a few other ponies her size en route to the entrance. One of them looked back oddly at her, which bought a sudden realisation to mind. "Oops, maybe I should stop saying things like that aloud: I don't want to be the social wallflower I was during my first educational stint, do I? No wonder my family and students treated me so strangely when we first met. Maybe I should play along, just for now, until I know more a-about..." gasp.

If Twilight wanted something to distract her ailing brain from the current confusion, then she certainly got it upon entering the building. As normal as the exterior of the structure seemed, the interior had been completely transformed.

And the reason it could be referred to as a 'building' or 'structure' now is because it was no longer the 'School Of Friendship'. Indeed, a giant plaque hanging above the wall clearly unveiled it as the 'College Of Change'.

But before Twilight could ponder the pure ridiculousness of that name (for starters, weren't the children who attended here too young for college?) another very jarring element of this new-look establishment begged her attention.

Namely, the many busts and portraits of a certain former Changeling Queen scattered everywhere. In each carefully posed piece of artwork, she looked more and menacing: as if the first finished article was just a warm-up for her to outdo her intimidation in every subsequent attempt.

W-Wow. It's amazing the pupils here can get any work done at all, this is like one of those horror comics Spike can never finish... Twilight flinched a bit at being reminded of the absence of her special little guy, before returning to the present. Now lets read some of these inscriptions... 'Our Beloved Principal', 'Our All-Conquering Mistress', 'Our Fearless Leader'... yep, I think it's safe you say I now know who's the boss here. I couldn't disapprove of the choice more, and judging by way she introduces herself, she's got her priorities all wrong too.

Thinking that an utterly chaotic educational system run by Discord would still be more beneficial than the despotic Changeling's, Twilight's fears were further escalated by the surfeit of so-called 'motivational' posters scattered around: 'WAR IS PEACE!' 'FREEDOM IS SLAVERY! 'IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!' they screamed, amongst other such heartwarming adages.

The more she gazed around dumbfounded, the worst she felt. The awful new name. The grotesque art. The abominable phrases. Then, something snapped.

"T-this is an outrage!!" Twilight gasped, forgetting her earlier vow to keep quiet in compete shock at what she witnessed. "What has happened to my wonderful school? When I find out who's responsible for bringing this parody of friendship into existence, I'm gonna... mmmmm"

"Shhh, Twi. Pipe down, or we'll all end up locked in the closet together again as punishment. And as I recall, this was just before Yona wanted to use the bathroom. So it was not a pleasant experience..." Without warning, the unicorn was grabbed and smuggled behind a golden sculpture of Chrysalis by an irate Smoulder, who'd finally caught up with her along with the rest of the gang.

"Hey! Dragon watch tongue! Yona was strong in holding bladder 'til out of tiny dark room, so what Smoulder complain about?" The yak was most disgruntled at what she regarded as an untrue slur.

"What he's 'complaining' about is that in doing that, you hopped around so much we were nearly all crushed to death!" Ocellus reminded her hairy chum of their friend group's almost-flattening by her considerable bulk.

"Look, this arguing isn't getting us anywhere! How are we gonna 'fix' Twilight this time? It was bad enough when she obsessed over making lists for her lists, but now she's acting certifiably insane!" Gallus was not known for sugarcoating his thoughts, and he blunt assessment of the unicorn's mental state was clear.

"Ooh, I know! I know!! Let's go see Nurse Starlight! She helped me that time I caught my wing in my desk. I don't know how she is as a psychiatrist, But it's worth a try... right?" Silverstream put her hoof up eagerly, even though her enthusiasm for the plan was slightly less than her beaming face would suggest.

Besides, nocreature there had any better idea how to handle this tricky matter, so all present agreed this was in all likelihood the option that had the most realistic chance of success. Both for Twilight's sake, and their's regarding The Big Test due at the end of the week.

Because obviously, without the unicorn's nerdy noggin to help them cram for it, their prospects of passing were something between 'slim' and 'nil'.

In the end, Twilight put up little resistance in being frogmarched to a small office further down the hall (with a lovingly mounted 'I'm here to heal' sign on the door, in contrast to the dire warnings elsewhere). This was because she was currently dwelling on two words she'd heard, that put everything else for now in the shade.

N-Nurse... Starlight?

Author's Note:

The world is sick with an incurable virus...

Protests are raging everywhere against the inhumane treatment of minorities...

The environment is crumbling before our eyes...

In other words, everything sucks.

So what do I do to combat the never-ending bleakness?

Curl up into a corner and cry?

No, update some stories.

Starting with this one. Get ready for lots more soon, too.

Hope you enjoy! And remember: 'Better Days Are Ahead' (lets hope so anyway) :moustache: