• Published 5th Aug 2019
  • 950 Views, 17 Comments

Not Everyone's a Hero - Rainwalker12



What if Sunset wasn't the first pony of her time to go through the portal?

  • ...
2
 17
 950

Chapter 3: Pizza

Chapter 3: Pizza

“Welcome to Pizza Pal’s Pizzeria. What can I get for you today?” The smile on Foggy’s face was strained and most likely obviously fake, and the huge, puffy black eye was rather visible behind his glasses. But the customer before him didn’t seem to notice or care, so the transaction went fine.

“Your pizza will be ready in about 15 minutes, sir. Please take a seat and we will bring it to you as soon as-“

RIIING! RIIING! RIIING!

Foggy’s phone blared from his pocket just as he was about to finish talking.

“Uh, my apologies sir, please take a seat.” Foggy reached under the counter and pulled out a sign reading ‘On break, be back in 10 minutes’ before heading to the employee office as soon as possible and picking up the still-ringing phone.

What?!” He snarled, not taking the time to read the contact as to save time.

“Foggy, good to hear you. I’ve got dirt on that new girl, Twilight. She’s decided to run for Princess of the Fall Formal! Can you believe it?!”

“Sunset, what does this have to do with me? I’m at work right now, you made me take my break early.” He grumbled. Ugh, now I’m gonna have to take my cooking shift earlier too. Damn.

“Oh, sorry.” Sunset didn’t sound sorry at all, what a pain. “Well, you run that social media account for me where you post the dirt on everyone I don't like, so would you be a dear and make a video with these clips?” A text binged in from her with a few video and picture attachments. “That’s all I need from you right now. Oh, wait, there was something else too.”

“Hm?” What else did she want now?!

“I heard Twilight’s getting pretty popular with some of the students at CHS. If that video doesn’t work, I hear there are decorations being put up in the gym tomorrow. Find something that could make her fall from popularity, eh?”

Foggy sighed. “Yeah, I can do that. You know what, how about you do something for me too?”

A brief pause. Then, “what do you need?”

A grin crossed Foggy’s face. “I’m gonna need a new set of test tubes and a box of .20 gram airsoft bullets. Oh, and a pair of thick gloves. That should do it.”

“Consider it done,” came the cool response. “I don’t know what you need it for, and I don’t really care. Your plans have never really interested me anyway. You go melt a bunch of rocks, and I’ll be running an empire, have fun with that.”

Foggy actually grinned. “Ah, witty as ever. Well, these ‘rocks’ are going to save my life, so who knows? Anyway, my breaks almost over, I got to go. I’ll find something to do about those decorations.”

“And you’ll have your materials tomorrow at school. See you then, Foggy.” A click sounded, marking the end of the conversation. Their banter was something Foggy enjoyed, and while most of it was just jokes and witty replies, he always found an underlying truth in it all.

Oh well, his rocks and compounds were enough for him.

A fist pounded on the door to the kitchen. “Foggy! Get in here so I can go on break!” One of the chefs was impatient, obviously.

“Fuck off, I’ll be there in a sec!” He yelled back. His ‘exciting’ life of sabotage and intrigue at CHS was put on hold for the moment due to the simple problem of being understaffed. They were just above the number they needed to function, but in order to do so they needed Foggy to rotate from kitchen, to register, to waiting; even delivery here and there.

After all, pizza waited for no man.

Alas, his day would prove to have more challenges to come.

On his next shift at the register, someone he never expected to see there walked in.

“Twilight Sparkle, how the hell did you find it where I work?” He growled out, on edge now.

“Simple really, I just did a search and went into-“

“What do you want? You obviously came here for a reason. You want to mock me? Laugh at me? ‘Cause if you do, you’ll find I’ve got a lot of bite to match my bark.”

Twilight visibly wilted. “Oh no no no, I’m just here to find out more about you. I never knew there was someone else here besides Sunset; Princess Celestia didn’t tell me anything about you. So how did you get here, and why do you want to go back so bad?”

Foggy chuckled hollowly as his voice fell to a whisper. “Sparkles, what would you do if I told you that you were speaking to the biggest mass murderer pony in the history of Equestria? Does that answer your question?”

Twilight’s face turned ashen, and she stumbled back. “Y-You… what?” Words seemed to fail her.

“Yeah, I’m not one to hide things like that. Probably got covered up, anyway. If I told you why I did it, you wouldn’t even believe me. Anything else?”

With a look of terror, Twilight Sparkle turned and fled.

Well, that was much faster than I expected…

----------

“And… done!” Foggy exclaimed, victorious. He’d been hunched over his phone at a table at the gym for the past half hour or so, taking advantage of his membership and the benefits that came with it. He’d managed to compile the video and picture files from Sunset into a rather disconcerting compilation, complete with background audio of him telling everyone why not to vote for her; pretty darn good for a half hour of work! It was currently processing; in but a few minutes, it would be uploaded to MyStable and YouTube.

He glanced at the clock. It was almost midnight, so almost nobody would see it until tomorrow, but it would be there for when they woke up.

Foggy ran a rather large MyStable page, one dedicated to the propaganda of his and Sunset’s campaign. He was her manager of sorts; any complaints or requests of any kind went through him first. A YouTube account of his had most of the same videos as well, with a few exceptions.

By the time school started the next day, the video would already be viral.

Foggy turned off his phone and yawned. It was getting rather late, and Scootaloo was already sleeping in the car. It was about time he headed out, too.

Ugh. Guess I’d better take a shower first, I smell disgusting!

----------

Foggy felt… disturbed. Something was going on in his school, and he didn’t like it. He’d just gone out for a smoke in the janitor’s closet to calm himself and ease the ache of his eye, when he got a strange feeling that something was wrong.

Is that… music?! As if confirming it, the strange sound began to boom louder and amplify, reaching even Foggy’s dusty closet with its volume.

Foggy scoffed and put out his cigarette before laying his hand on the doorknob to go teach whatever punk decided to blast their speaker a lesson. As he did, however, the knob turned on it’s own and the door opened, bright light flooding the dimly lit closet. A hand grabbed Foggy’s ratty jacket, and pulled him forth into the too-bright light.

“Cmon, let’s go. Everyone’s distracted by their little show, so it’s the perfect time to trash the gym.” Sunset’s voice whispered as she began to drag him along. Foggy’s eyes squinted and he began to shamble with her as his vision returned.

“Sunset, you couldn’t have just texted me? You had to actually yank me out of that closet? Hardcore, Sunset, hardcore.” He joked, eliciting a small laugh from the girl. Their meetings weren’t without humor, although anyone else most likely would’ve taken offense to most of their jokes.

“Yeah, yeah, hurry up. There’s only so much time, and I took the liberty of making a few fake photographs of Twilight trashing it beforehand.”

Foggy’s brows rose in surprise. “Clever thinking, Sunset. Now, let’s get to it.” They arrived in front of the gym, and one of Sunset’s ‘minions’, Snails, opened the door for them.

From his bag Foggy drew a baseball bat, and the rest of the crew just brandished small tools or boards.

“Come on, let’s get to work.” With Sunset’s decree, the four of them began to utterly wreck the gym. From the tables to the banners, nothing was left untouched.

After his banishment, Foggy had had times of… anger, of rage. Breaking things never seemed to help, but this? The quiet swoosh of his bat and the way everything went flying as he hit it was strangely therapeutic. Time faded into a whirl of smashing, breaking, and stomping random items as the Party Planning Commitee’s hard work turned into nothing but rubble and strewn wreckage.

Foggy would’ve felt bad, but it was all for good in the end. If this helped him get home, he would do it in a heartbeat.

By the time they were done, the entire gym was wrecked. Tables lay broken on the ground, fragments of the disco ball littered the floor, and chairs were tipped over and shattered. Sunset had originally been concerned about it being too much to not have the formal that night, but Foggy had convinced her to let them wreck it so she could lead a cleanup after school to gain support and seem genuine in her efforts.

Foggy may have gone a bit overboard; in the heat of the moment he may have smashed open the disco ball hanging from the ceiling, but in the end it was all done, and as a result he was feeling the most relaxed he had in weeks,

“Good work, team.” Foggy puffed, stretching his back as he carefully zipped away his bat in his ratty bag. “Now, let’s get the hell out of here before anybody sees us.” With that, the four of them swiftly exited the gym, and immediately made their way to Principal Celestia’s office, with Foggy lurking behind a few steps.

It was strange. There was an air of… joy? Happiness? Pride? Well, there was something in the air, obviously, and it was infecting everyone coming from the cafeteria. Everyone seemed less scared of Sunset and he for the time being.

Uh oh, that didn’t bode well. Maybe something was needed to assert their dominance? Ah well, maybe later. As much as Foggy loved a good fight, his eye was still swollen and aching, and they had more important matters to attend to.

They passed by Twilight and her little gang, which seemed to have expanded to encompass the entire group that Sunset had worked so hard to tear apart. Hm, another possible problem.

As he passed her, Rainbow Dash smirked at him, eyes trained on the beautiful shiner she’d given him. He wordlessly snarled at her, whipping his head forward as soon as they were out of view.

After what seemed like forever, they finally reached the office. Sunset knocked twice, and to his surprise Vice Principal Luna answered the door. Maybe that was good for them, though; she was known to be more… extreme in her punishments.

“Vice Principal Luna, something terrible has happened! Come see, quickly!” Without a word they began to race back to the gym. Rather pointless in the end to have gone in the first place, as they could have just waited by the gym, but Foggy didn’t dwell on that.

As they crashed through the door and saw the damage, Vice Principal Luna gasped in horror.

“Isn’t it horrible? And after Pinkie took so much time to make it look so beautiful, too…” Fake teardrops began to fall down Sunset’s face, and she wiped her eyes and shot Foggy a grin underneath her arm.

‘Yeah, it really was beautiful. It’s a shame Twilight Sparkle did this, I really thought I’d go this year because of the decorations,” Foggy mused, earning a sharp look from the Vice Principal.

“What makes you think Twilight Sparkle did something like this” Luna asked them, a look of concern etched on her face.

“Well, I’d hate to be a snitch, but… you see, a friend of mine likes to do some freelance photography, and he showed up to the gym early today for a photoshoot for some girl, and… well, he managed to get these. I couldn’t get much else out of him, though.” Foggy pulled forth from his jacket a small manilla folder, and handed it to the Vice Principal. He was fairly good at playing the part of an innocent bystander, enough to apparently convince Luna.

“Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I’ll see to it that she is dealt with right away. Good day to you both. Oh, you too, Snips and Snails.”

“Bye Mrs. Luna!” They chorused as the Vice Principal exited the damaged gym.

“Well, quite a good day of destroying school property, eh? The Foggy-Sunset duo isn’t half bad when it comes to getting things done!” Foggy clapped a hand on Sunset’s shoulder, and she quickly shook him off.

“Yeah, now all we have to do is wait until Twilight gets taken out of the game! Then the crown will be mine- erm, ours!”

“And don’t forget it,” Foggy finished. Ah, quite an easy task in the end, getting Twilight in trouble.

It almost seemed… too easy.

Uh oh, Foggy was getting an itch. Those never meant good things were coming.

Oh well, how bad could it really be?

----------

“Welcome to- goddamn, it’s you. What the hell do you want now?” Foggy glared at Twilight’s group in the Pizzeria. Well, more specifically Rainbow Dash.

“Well, we decided to get some good ol’ pizza before the dance because the food’s always terrible. So, I found out where you worked, and here we are!” Rainbow waltzed forward and tipped his uniform hat up a bit. “Ooh, the big tough bully’s just a pizza guy now, eh?”

“Shut up before I beat your face in.” Foggy stated shortly, before turning back to the group. “Ugh, what can I get for you today?” He bit back his pride; he couldn’t afford to get fired, after all.

“We’ll have two large cheese pizzas and a large pepperoni, please.” Rarity answered.

“Fine, go take a seat and they’ll be out in about 15 minutes. That all?”

“Uh, we’ll have five chocolate milkshakes, and…” Applejack threw a dirty look at the purple-haired girl, who he faintly remembered was named Rarity, “and a glass of lemonade with two lemon slices in it.”

Foggy sighed. “Very specific, okay. Will that be all?”

In lieu of a response, the group just nodded. They paid before moving out of the way, and Foggy was free to take the next customer’s order.

Ugh. Now I have to deal with Sparkle and her crew of crazies, just great.

A few minutes later Foggy carried out a large tray with their six drinks piled on it. “Alright, here’s your drinks. The pizzas will be out in 10-15 minutes.”

“How much do they pay you to wear that silly hat? It’s obviously not enough,” Rainbow sniped. She was right, though it pained him to admit it; his work uniform consisted of a white apron with a smiling pizza slice on it, with a red hat with the same logo.

“Wow, look ladies and gentlemen, she’s smart enough to make a joke, but not enough to realize that I don’t care.” Foggy gritted his teeth. “Damn, first you all clean up the gym before we can, then you show up to my workplace? Now that’s just petty.”

“Haha! So you admit to trashing the gym! I knew it was you all along!” Rainbow kicked him in the shin, eliciting a small hiss of pain as it aggravated an earlier wound from a rather necessary fight.

Flash Sentry walked sullenly away from the principal’s office. He’d just been turned down by a rather attractive girl, even after helping clear her name! Not a very good start to the day…

A hand grabbed his shoulder and slammed him into a locker. He instinctively lashed out as he was twisted around to face his assailant, managing to slam a foot into the attacker’s shin hard enough to leave a bruise. Flash cringed, waiting for a blow, but when one never came he opened his eyes to stare into the face of Foggy Horizons.

“Flash Sentry, you just had to play the hero there. You know this counts as going against Sunset and I, right? And you know what happens to people who mess with us.”

“I’m not afraid of you!” Flash spat in his face, quite literally. A glob of saliva rolled its way down Foggy’s face as his smirk turned into a grimace.

“Oh, now you’re gonna have to pay,” Foggy whispered as he tightened his grip on the struggling boy in front of him. With his hands full, he drove a knee into Flash’s stomach, causing him to double over in pain. “I’m not going to cripple you or anything, I’m not a monster. But make sure you remember this next time you try to cross us.”

Flash was an athlete with aspirations to join the Guard some day, so he was relatively fit. Foggy, however, had been honing his body in the gym for the past few years, so he had a distinct advantage over Flash. With one hand he gripped the front of Flash’s jacket, lifted him into the air, and tossed him into the middle of the hallway.

“Let this be a lesson to all you who wish to cross us.” Foggy called out to the small crowd that had amassed. “I won’t tolerate-”

“This isn’t over yet, Horizons!” Flash shouted as he swiftly stood up, and in one smooth motion tackled Foggy’s leg, the one he had previously kicked. The two tumbled to the floor in a flurry of punches and kicks, with the crowd unable to see who was winning.

“Alright, break it up!” A male voice called out from the hallway, and the gym teacher Bulk Biceps strode down the corridor and easily picked up both boys. Dangling from his hands, they snarled and swiped out with fists towards one another, but they just couldn’t reach each other.

“Now, now, settle down or we’ll have to take this elsewhere. You two, I don’t want to see either of you fighting again, now get to class, everyone!” And with that, he released the two, who both promptly fell to the floor, gasping for air as they recovered from the fight.

As Foggy stood up he noticed Bulk Biceps standing between them with a wary look, so all he could do was send Flash a nasty glare and walk to class with his pride semi-damaged.

Foggy shook his head as the memory passed. “Okay, I never said we trashed the gym! We were just going to clean it up after school, except you all decided to do it during school hours, so congrats to you,” Foggy said sarcastically.

“Still, you look pretty dumb in that outfit,” Rainbow remarked as she raised her phone and snapped a picture.

Just walk away, Foggy, just walk away...

Roughly 15 minutes later, Foggy walked out with three trays of steaming-hot pizza balanced perfectly in his hands, a result of a few years now working the job.

“Alright, here’s your pizzas. Anything else, or will you all finally let me get back to work and leave me alone?” Foggy grumbled.

“Hm, how about we see that shiner I gave you?” With a jerk of her wrist, Rainbow yanked off his sunglass, sending them tumbling to the table below.

And while in certainly did show off the deep black and blue swollen eye as a result of Rainbow’s punch, Foggy’s stretched skin and marks from his burns all those years ago were in full visibility.

His entire right eye was permanently squinted a bit, giving him an odd feral look. The redness of the burn had mostly faded, but what remained was possibly even worse. From the bridge of his nose to almost his ear, a large, almost circular portion of skin above his cheekbone looked similar to a hide stretched over a tanning rack; striated lines marred its surface, and the skin carried just a hint of red, in contrast to the usual grey.

All in all, it was not a sight one would want to see before eating pizza.

Foggy calmly reached down and put his glasses back on, but the damage was done.

“U-Uh, what was that?” Rainbow asked, obviously shaken a little bit. “Did I do th-”

“Not everything is about you, Rainbow Dash. And no, that’s old. I’d appreciate it if you stop prying into my medical history, and I’ll get fired if I don’t help you, so again, leave me the fuck alone or I’ll beat your face in so much it’s concave.” Foggy growled out, turning and haughtily making his way back to his counter.

“Nice to meet you!” Pinkie called out as he retreated, only receiving a brief grunt in response.

Well, that sucked. Now they’ll probably tell everyone I’m horribly disfigured or something, and then the whole school will know. Creepvine knows I’m already not liked enough around here, the last thing I need is some rumor about a medical condition. Maybe-

“Foggy!” His manager called out from his office. With a groan, Foggy put up the ‘on break’ sign and made his way over to the office. There was nobody else at the Pizzeria besides the girls, so it didn’t really matter anyway.

“Sorry boss, I’m here.” Foggy said as he shut the door behind him.

Pizza Pal was a rather friendly man, with bright red skin and rather deep green eyes hidden by equally dark green hair. He wasn’t the tallest man, standing shorter than Foggy, but his personality more than made up for it. He swivelled in his chair to face Foggy with a grin.

“Hey bud, so there’s a bit of a virus going around right now, and all the other delivery guys who should be on duty are sick. Sooo, would you mind taking the next load of pizzas out to the houses?”

“Pal, I’m pretty tired and I’ve got an important dance thing tonight, are you sure there’s nobody else who could do it?” Foggy groaned, rather exhausted from all the work and planning. “I’m only on for another hour or so; it’s like 4:30 now, I get off at 6, and the dance is at 7:30 tonight.”

“Pleeease? I can pay you time and a half, and you can get off at 5:30. It won’t take an hour and a half to deliver all those pizzas!” Foggy mulled it over in his head. Time and a half would be nice; Pizza Pal was one of the few who knew about his ‘housing situation’, and he was nice about it. Foggy got all the pizzas people didn’t show up for or didn’t pay for, and he had to admit that pizza tonight sounded better than the soup kitchens he and Scoots had gone to for the past few nights. Granted, if it all worked out tonight he wouldn’t really need the money, but leaving Scoots with nothing was heartless.

Foggy wasn’t a monster, after all.

“Fine, give me the car keys so I can get going.”

“Great! The pizzas should be on the counter near the kitchen.” Foggy nodded and left the small office after being handed the keys to the delivery car.

He shouted for one of the kitchen workers to man the counter, while he took off his apron and stuffed it into his work locker. Foggy fixed his hat upon his head and left the restaurant, the familiar bell chiming behind him as the door closed.

“And where do you think you’re going?” An accusatory shout sounded from down the road. He turned his head while walking to see the girls in the process of walking away from the restaurant as well, with Rainbow Dash glaring at him while Fluttershy and Twilight pointedly looked away.

“To deliver pizzas, what else would I be doing right now?” He snarked back, actually confused for once.

A brief pause. “Oh. I thought you would be going to like, steal a car or something like that. Twilight said you’re a criminal!”

“Hm? Yeah, now clear off before I steal your car. Obviously you think I’m such an evil person, so it should be easy for me, right?” Foggy remarked, sparing no more time on them. He continued on his way to the car, unlocking it and dropping the pizzas into the passenger seat before getting in the driver’s seat himself.

“Hey! Wait! What are you and Sunset going to do tonight? It’s all useless, Twilight will beat all of you!” Rainbow shouted at him from across the parking lot, but Foggy just chuckled.

“Yeah, right. What’s her plan? Use the power of friendship or some crap like that? Now leave me alone!” WIth that, Foggy ignited the engine and started on his route.

I don’t get paid enough for this...

Author's Note:

I'll try to update every Monday, but it might get pushed back a bit because of vacation, sorry. Let me know if you like it, if you have any feedback, or if you think Foggy is 'edgy' or anything like that. Comments fuel me; thanks!