• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 4,975 Views, 162 Comments

Slender - Armalite

  • ...
12
 162
 4,975

The Mare On The Moon

She walked for days. Then, she ran for days. She knew that it had killed them both. She didn't want him to go, but he did anyway. She had found his scorched book tangled in the vines. She knew how to kill it now. She just needed to get there.

Her hooves were chipped and ragged. Her hair was tangled and greasy. Her skin was torn and dirty. Her mind was cracked and fractured. She wasn't seeing straight. She wasn't thinking straight. She felt out of body as she ran. She felt dead. terrible howls, and far away screeches; woven in her mind as she ran, and above all of it, two words rang out.

The Alter.

It was all she could think about. All she knew. Everything rested on it. The fate of a goddess lay in it's ebony grasp. She needed to destroy it.

She ran. Never stopping, never slowing. She used to fight the noises. Scream at them to stop. She'd started hallucinating. Seeing ponies she'd known. She'd seen Her. She'd seen Him. He was yelling at her to stop. She was begging for help. She knew neither were real. All that mattered was the Alter.

She was getting closer. Somewhere in her broken mind, she knew that it was almost over. All the times she'd seen it. All the times it had taken her. Locked her up somewhere deep in her mind. All the thoughts she'd had. Gnarled roots tripped her and branches whipped at her face. She had to press on.

She saw it again. Behind a twisted, broken tree. The canopy blotted out all light, casting the forest into the eternal night she'd once dreamed of as somepony very different. She saw the markings etched on the trees. She saw them drawn in the dirt. Carved in the stone and laced in time.

Her head was pounding. Her movements were jittery. She heard voices in her head. She heard herself as a filly, laughing, crying, screaming. She heard her sister, she heard the Elements, she heard her long deceased parents. She heard the spirit of chaos and she heard the Changeling’s Queen.

Her heart hammered deep inside her deteriorating body. She stumbled into a clearing. It was there. With it's suit. It's arms outstretched and digging into the loose soil. As she stared, her eyes grew wide. It started to grow upward, it's arms slowly lifting towards her.

She moaned and ran to her left, back into the forest. It was trying to stop her. Her mind guided her body to the right, dragging her to the Alter

She saw the captain of the Royal Guard before he was dragged into the underbrush beside a tall, dark tree. She saw her sister beckon her. Her sister took flight, before she was dragged down by long, black tendrils. So she ran on. They weren't real. The only thing that was real was the Alter.

Her muscles burned with lactic acid, and her eyes burned with tears. She saw it out of her peripheral. Watching, always watching. Seeing with no eyes, and hearing with no ears.

She leaped felled trees and scrabbled over large round rocks, all in an effort to reach it.

She stumbled down the steep incline of a hill. Large jagged rocks jutted from the ground like miniature mountains. Walls of rock rose on either side of her. Trees and dirt were being replaced with stone and rotting vines. The stone ground leveled out, making it easier for her worn body to dodge the rocks. The symbol, it was everywhere. Carved into the cliff faces and on the rocks.

She saw it on the cliff top. She saw it behind the rocks. She saw it. She felt it behind her. She pushed herself, her horn lighting. Flashes of ponies she'd loved danced across her vision.

It got closer, she got closer, her horn got brighter. She could hear their voices now, shouting and hollering. Laughing and screaming.

It grabbed her, she heard herself scream far away, her horn reached its pinnacle, and light shot at the small black pedestal, ivory horns petruding from the top.

The Alter.

Those two words rang in her head as a godly flash of azure light erupted from it.

Her scream mixed and was absorbed by a horrifying screech unlike anything she'd ever heard. She was flung backwards.

She slammed into a jagged rock, causing the top to snap and fall. She lay there in pain. She felt relieved, like a great weight had been lifted. She moaned with relief as blackness crept over her vision. She'd destroyed the Alter. She'd killed it. Her vision was funneled and compressed. She tried to say something, but the blackness dominated her mind. She closed her eyes and let the blackness carry her away.