• Published 4th Jul 2019
  • 1,105 Views, 95 Comments

Not all who wander... - TDR



A little black, bandanna clad piglet makes his way into Equestria.

  • ...
6
 95
 1,105

In which Ryoga meets Royalty, with a bit less punching.

Not All Who Wander
By TDR

Part 5,
In which Ryoga meets Royalty, with a bit less punching.

[Ponyville, Fluttershy's cottage.]

“Sorry. Sorry. Sorry...” Ryoga bowed.

“Sorry. Sorry. Sorry...” Fluttershy apologized.

Angel bunny grabbed both his ears and let out an inarticulate scream of rage which the two ponies only thought of as an adorable squeak.

The pair of them had woken up from their faints, spotted each other and then fainted again. Angel Bunny didn't know ponies could lose that much blood and survive.

The rabbit had kicked the earth pony stallion out of the bath room into the hall and waited for them to wake up out of sight of each other.

Then the apologies had progressed since then with barely a word edgewise about anything else.

Angel Bunny was rather certain neither of them even knew what they were apologizing for anymore.

Ponies were weird.


There was a great deal more apologizing from the yellow mare and from Ryoga as he eventually made his way out the door.

There had been at least two more moments of him passing out and the pegasus mare panicking, or her passing out and him panicking.

Oddly he felt that the mare without the nurses uniform was much less interesting for some reason, and he really had no idea what his brain was trying to tell him. Still she had tried to help and been quite surprised that he didn't seem to be injured beyond a pair of small bruises where Nightmare had kicked him. She reminded him very much of Kasumi, with a bit heavier Disney Princess vibe judging by the other inhabitants of her home.

That of course depressed him a bit more as he was lost in thoughts about Kasumi and everything else involving the Tendos.

He did figure out that their weird, horse land place was called Equestria, and Fluttershy had informed him that Black Snooty... errrr Nightmare Moon had been beaten and Princess Celestia was freed.

The fact the villain turned out to be the Princesses long lost sister was the only thing that made sense to Ryoga. Friendship magic, eternal night, and royal horses felt off to him, but the big bad being related or in some sort of relationship to the hero, or the princess being rescued? Yeah that was pretty normal from his experiences.

Still between the apologies, for what he wasn't even certain of any more, he found out they had taken all his gear to a farm called Sweet Apple Acres.

Fluttershy had told him it was right down the road and to just follow the signs.

So that was where he was now. Standing at a sign post with two branching paths.

He stared at the weird words stretched across the wood of the signs and sighed.

Of course he couldn't read their language, sure they spoke English, but their writing was unlike anything he had seen before.

After starring at the sign for a moment he decided to follow the word with the most letters turning right to follow a long winding path that lead towards a mountain.


Ryoga let out a soft sigh as he looked around the towering city around him. There were countless ponies and occasionally other creatures wandering around the city streets, many turning their nose up at the dirty looking earth pony as he looked around the place.

Ryoga was even more confused now, how big was this lost civilization? The lost boy sighed again drawing in a massive deep breath.

“WHERE AM I NOW!?!?” Ryoga screamed out into the air as he vented his frustration.

The shout of course attracted a lot of stares at the strange orange and black maned pony standing in the street. Ryoga whirled on a pony who had stopped nearby at his first scream.

“Where is Sweet Apple Acres!?!?!?” demanded Ryoga.

The pony blinked, taking a step back from the mad stallion. “Errr I think that farm is in Ponyville, at the base of the mountain.”

Ryoga blinked at that before screaming out again and cursing his luck.

“Yeah, okay, thanks.” Ryoga sighed turning around and starting to walk off from the pony who answered him, though it was towards the palace, rather than back out of Canterlot.

Ryoga had barely made it ten steps when there was a shout.

“Hey you. Stop there!”

“What?” Ryoga asked lifting his head to look back.


The last few days for the Royal Guard had been chaotic and quite simply viewed as a colossal, depressing, total failure.

They had some how lost their Princess, managed to under staff her guard at the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville, and the few that were there got their flanks kicked in one blow. They had also failed to find one stallion wandering in the woods, which the majority of their forces were still searching, leaving those in Canterlot pulling double or triple shifts.

Add onto that the rush to create a new unit to protect the new Princess that popped up, plus the sudden appearance of a number of bat ponies that heard their Princess was back, including a few that were high ranking soldiers of auxiliary units that most ponies ignored, and suffice to say everything was a PG rated Fuster Cluck.

So when a number of complaints came in about some vagabond screaming at ponies, the guards went in hoping for a win for once, or at least something easily solved.

Finding the stallion causing the ruckus was easy, getting him to listen was not, as he pretty much blew off the guard demanding to know who he was, with statements that he was leaving, despite the fact he was headed towards the palace.

So in the grand scheme of things one pegasus might be forgiven for trying to grab the indignant pony and hold him for questioning.

That said pegaus failed to catch the earth pony despite repeated attempts was impressive enough and it might have ended there, with Ryoga just avoiding the attempts until the pegasus gave up. Unfortunately a unicorn guard came on the scene and saw another Guard seemingly fighting an earth pony stallion and reacted accordingly with a stun bolt.

The attack hit the earth pony dead on and rather than stun the pony, only seemed to annoy him. It did allow the pegasus to finally get a hold of the vagrant as the target was distracted by the unicorns attack.

Said pegasus wound up being thrown aside into a cabbage stall for his troubles.

The unicorn seeing that his spells and the other guard were not enough, shot a flare into the air requesting help, that brought all the Guards left in the city to that point.

None of them were in a good mood.

Ryoga was not in a good mood.

The word that appeared most on the incident report, was 'collateral damage'.


Ryoga had no idea what was going on.

One moment he was suffering in anguish that some one had moved the farm and replaced it with this ridiculous city. He still didn't have his gear and figured he would need to replace it at this point. The next there was some armored flying horse trying to grab him.

The next thing he knew there was a ki wielding horse shooting some weak blasts at him. The flying one managed to grab him, but the hold wasn't great and a shrug sent the flying horse into a cabbage stand.

“Oops.” Ryoga winced planning to offer an apology when the horned horse shot a burst of ki into the air.

Not long after that there were a lot of armored horses.

This was hardly the first time Ryoga had fought off a swarm of guards or soldiers or mooks or whatever, though this was the first time it was talking horses.

He still wasn't even sure how he was talking or what spring this place used, his only goals at the moment were to get his gear back and find a way to become human again. Maybe he should ask one of these guys if they knew where the cursed spring was.

No wait, they had broken out spears now, clearly they were not friendly.

Ryoga flicked a barrage of bandannas towards them cutting off a few spear blades and giving one pony a really short mane cut.

As more gathered he decided to leave and took off at a gallop through the city, with a few score of guards chasing him.

Ryoga darted around buildings slipped through shops, and hopped over wagons and other ponies as need be, all while the clattering swarm of armored guards crashed, smashed, and trampled everything behind him.

That's not to say Ryoga didn't find himself cornered every so often, but that was a problem easily fixed by removing a wall or two.

The running battle through the city soon attracted more guards, some of the rare night guard, a few mercenaries who hoped the fleeing pony had a bounty, A yak who thought Yickslurbertfes had come early, a number of irate shopkeepers, a host of reporters thinking this might be a big scoop, a couple of dogs, and a few small foals who thought it was a over exuberant game of tag.

After smashing through another wall Ryoga whirled dodging a crossbow bolt and a number of other thrown weapons, as well as a rubber duck.

“Why are you even chasing me? I didn't do anything!” Ryoga shouted back at them.

“Then why are you running!?” A guard demanded.

“Because you're chasing me!” Ryoga shouted back.

“Because you're running.” The guard retorted.

“Ahem.”

Everyone froze at the relatively calm sound of someone clearing their throat. Ryoga's eyes widened at the flood of ki he felt.

Looking at the room he was in for the first time, it was a massive throne room of some sort with numerous sun symbols and a large number of stained glass windows, though only one seemed to have anything other than random colors in it. A large sun themed marble and gold throne, that looked like it had been pushed aside judging by the scrunching of the carpet, sat on a raised dais.

Next to that throne, not quite centered either, was another darker throne, seemingly made of onyx and sapphire with a moon theme, though it was empty.

The sun throne however was occupied by a very large white winged unicorn.

Ryoga blinked feeling the ki radiating off the mare, as the guards and everyone who had been chasing him suddenly dropped down in a bow.

It was kinda weird seeing horses do that. Ryoga dipped his head a bit, no sense making the obvious royalty mad without cause, though he didn't take his eyes off her, just in case.

“And who might you be, my little pony?” Princess Celestia questioned her gaze looking over the orange furred stallion with interest. Her gaze shifted to the crowd that had followed him through the wall with a small smirk.”Seems you are quite the popular one.”

“Princess, this pony is under arrest for disturbing the peace, attacking a guard, and massive property destruction.” One of the guards snapped. The earth pony looked about ready to jump Ryoga where he stood and if Ryoga was correct the fancy markings on his armor made him some sort of officer or other high muck.

“Oh?” Princess Celestia questioned as she raised an eyebrow looking at Ryoga.

“I didn't do anything.” Ryoga snapped, Princess Celestia looked back to the guard.

“You were screaming at random ponies in the middle of Canterlot.” the guard offered. Celestia looked back at Ryoga

“Right okay, though it was one guy and I just asked him a question, the rest is wrong, that winged guy attacked me and I didn't even do anything about it but dodge until the horned guy showed up and attacked me.” Ryoga snapped back as Celestia looked back to the Guard.

“I'm a mare!” the unicorn that shot at Ryoga to start with snapped, though she was ignored.

“ You ran from the Royal Guard and fought us off through six districts, two parks, and the royal palace.” the guard snapped.

“You count the parks separate from the districts?” a random shop keeper who had been in on the chase asked.

“It's a zoning thing the nobles came up with.” Princess Celestia sighed.

“A mob of armored people attack me at random and I'm not supposed to run?” Ryoga huffed.

“It was justified, look at the damage you did!” The Guard snapped pointing at the series of holes in the wall behind the mob that went straight through the palace and a bit down the street outside before it turned off.

“The walls shouldn't have been there.” Ryoga muttered, almost certain he had stuck to the roads.

Princess Celestia stared at the holes in the walls for a moment wondering what sort of strength this earth pony had that he could smash through the magically reinforced stone of the palace with such ease while on the run from a mob.

Celestia blinked as if realizing something.

“Hmmmm. Your name wouldn't happen to be Ryoga Hibiki would it?” Princess Celestia asked.

Ryoga flattened his ears a moment in confusion before realizing these weird horses spoke English and he had given his name the English way when he met those ponies at the castle.

“Errr... yes.” Ryoga nervously chuckled.

Princess Celestia smiled, he did fit the description and the name confirmed it, as well as the excessive display of power shown.

“I see. Lieutenant, escort the rest of the crowd back outside the palace and set some ponies to access damages and repairs, then report to Guard Captain Moskau and ask her to recall the ponies in the Everfree from their search. It seems the one we were looking for came to us.” Princess Celestia chuckled.” Sergeant Armor, Sergeant Trail please escort Mr. Ryoga Hibiki here to the Nort..... well I suppose we don't have a north meeting room now.”

Celestia frowned slightly looking at the hole.

Ryoga rubbed the back of his head with a hoof. Who ever this big winged Princess pony was it felt like he had disappointed his mother with the way she acted. He really didn't want to meet the king or queen if their daughter was like this.

“Well I suppose the west meeting room should suffice. I'll have some servants come up and bring you something to eat if you like Mr. Ryoga Hibiki. My sister very much wanted to meet you and it might take some time to rouse her to the state of entertaining guests. ”Princess Celestia sighed.

“Your sister....... she doesn't want a rematch does she?” Ryoga muttered.

Princess Celestia blinked then smiled. ”She might, though I also think she wishes to apologize for kicking you out of the old castle, quite literally from what I heard. At any rate just follow these two and they'll show you the room, you shouldn't have to wait too long.”

Ryoga glanced over at the two she indicated. One was a blue haired white furred unicorn in the gold armor the other guards wore. The other looked like a shaggy flying pony with bat wings. He wore darker purple and gray armor. In truth he reminded Ryoga of Black Snooty, or Nightmare or whatever she was called.

Ryoga stared at him a moment. This was at least a six on the Nerima scale, this place was just weird, and he wasn't even sure where it was yet.

Ryoga paused and reconsidered, in Nerima, there was a cat ghost seeking a human bride, a cross dressing ninja who disguised himself as random city objects, and a man with a palm tree growing out of his head that was considered a respected, though not by the students, Principal of a high school.

A land of pastel horses that spoke English got knocked down to a four at that train of thought. Even with the bat horses.


“Lulu... Lulu get up.” Celestia prodded her sister with a hoof.

“Murfum.”Luna responded burrowing deeper under her blanket.

“Lulu it's been three days, you can't sleep the whole time.” Celestia sighed.

“Watch us.” Luna retorted.

“Lulu I will get the hose again.” Celestia huffed.

“It is the middle of the day, we do not do well in thine bright orb of hot death. What is it thee wants!?!” Luna snapped sitting up.

“Well now if you are going to be cranky I won't tell you.”

“Then we will return to slumber.”

“ Fine... the stallion you fought has been found and he is in the castle.” Celestia offered.

“Truly?” Luna asked slowly sitting up her head hidden under the blanket. “Is he well?”

“Honestly I didn't even see a bruise on him, though he did seem to pick a fight with half the Guard left in the city.”

“How are the Guard?”

“Annoyed. Seems he ran from them rather than stand his ground and fight. With what he did to the walls I expect that was a good thing for the Guard.“

“Ahh a compassionate warrior as well as strong.”Luna offered.

“Well I suppose..... “ Celestia narrowed her eyes.” Lulu why are you so interested in him? I assumed it was to apologize for kicking him.”

“There is that yes.”Luna offered.

“Lulu....”

“At out strongest and most mad he fought us to a standstill.” Luna offered with a small sigh and a hint of a smile.

“Oh no.... It may have been a while, but I remember that smile and sigh.” Celestia sighed. “If he refuses your hoof in marriage, you are not going to challenge him to a duel are you?”

“Maybe.”


“What do you mean he's gone?” Princess Celestia blinked looking at Shining Armor and Comet Trail.

“He's gone Princess. We got to the meeting room and everything was fine, I mean, he ate like he was starving” Comet Trail gestured to the huge pile of empty dishes piled on the table.

“He needed to use the rest room so I pointed out the one across the hall there.” Shining Armor pointed behind the Princess to the door across the hall. “Now he's gone.”

“We didn't pass him on the way here. Have the Guards search the palace, let them know he is not in trouble, I simply wish to speak with him. Lulu is going to be so disappointed.” Celestia sighed.” Well go on, he can't have gotten that far.”


“Excuse me, do you know where Sweet Apple Acres is?”

“Sweet Apple Acres?That's mai cousins place. Sakes yer a long way from there. This is AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppplooooooooooooooooooooosa!!” Braburn offered.

“Of course it is.” Ryoga sighed.