• Published 10th Jul 2019
  • 251 Views, 2 Comments

On The Sword's Edge - MaskedRiderChris



Strange Ponies, strange happenings, and a grave danger to Equestria...

  • ...
 2
 251

On The Sword's Edge/Chapter 1: Strange Ponies and Stranger Events

Chapter 1: Strange Ponies and Stranger Events

An early summer sun was shining brightly on Ponyville, with its heat only just beginning to make itself known in earnest. A light breeze was making the activity at the open market most pleasant for all in attendance both vending and shopping. Princess Twilight Sparkle’s crystal tree house was showering the area with glorious rainbow hues as the sun shone through its branches that stretched to the sky, and it had a peaceful, easing effect on all who were outdoors at that time. In the market area, the Apple family were doing a booming business, as they always did, with their homemade baked goods. Whether it was cider season or not, Sweet Apple Acres always performed well at the market, to the happiness of all involved.

“Whooooo-ee! I know y’all are in the mood for some apple fritters, ain’t ya,” Applejack boomed out, projecting her voice loud and clear for all passersby to listen to. As usual, she was pulling in an impressive crowd—it didn’t hurt to be one of the most famous Ponies in town, but Applejack put that silliness out of her head when she was in selling mode. Granny Smith would have tanned her hide, even at her age, if she were to ever let that to her head!

By her side, Big McIntosh, her brother, towered over her in his quiet, stately manner, greeting all and sundry with his trademark laid back smile and motioning them closer to partake of their wares. Granny Smith, of course, was on the other side, chuckling in delight as she took buyers’ bits and made change, thanking them kindly all the while.

“I tell ya, Granny Smith, we’s doing well today,” Applejack beamed after a group of happy customers departed, toting their pastries with delighted smiles. However, she’d noticed a certain Pony hovering nearby with a doleful expression that was well and truly out of place in Ponyville, and that just wouldn’t do, she thought.

She was white, almost ghostly, with a bright red mane and tail that stood out in bold relief against her snowy coat, and what Applejack could make out of her cutie mark resembled a sword of some kind. She’d also been looking around in a manner that suggested distress, and Applejack didn’t like to see that kind of thing happening in her town.

“Big McIntosh, have you seen that filly over yonder?”

“Eeeeeyup. She don’t look too happy.” Big McIntosh’s kindly nature belied his hulking appearance, a fact well known throughout Ponyville. “Think we oughta invite her over?”

“’Course we should! Be right back,” Applejack replied as she made her way over to the newcomer. She swiftly wended her way through the busy crowd of shoppers to the filly in question, only to be greeted with the filly pulling away nervously.

“Hey there, missy, what’s wrong,” she asked, concern lining her features. The filly looked at her, looked around, and shrugged in a dumb show pantomime, eyes widening in what could only be fear.

“I know, I ain’t the most refined Pony around, but I know somepony upset when I see ‘em. Come on over and set for a bit with us Apples? Maybe we can help you out somehow,” Applejack continued on in an effort at diffusing tension. In response, the white filly stumbled back a bit, and proceeded to baffle Applejack with what she said in response.

Où est cet endroit? Pourquoi suis-je un poney? Aidez moi!” Applejack’s jaw dropped for a second as it occurred to her why the strange Pony was as frightened as she was.

“Uh, I don’t speak Fancy, missy,” she began, slowly, as she remembered the time Apple Bloom had done just that at one point in her desperate quest for her cutie mark. The way she’d been rattling on had alarmed Applejack, and thankfully for her, help arrived in the unlikely form of Angel Bunny hopping up to the strange filly’s hooves.

Eh? Oh, tu es si mignon!” Angel Bunny didn’t seem to care that the filly wasn’t speaking Equine at all, but beamed and shamelessly began demanding to be petted. The filly awkwardly reached out and attempted to do that with her front hoof as Fluttershy came hurrying over.

“There you are, Angel Bunny! I’m so sorry, he gets away from me sometimes,” Fluttershy softly declared before Applejack could warn her of the language barrier she’d just encountered. The strange filly seemed just as nonplussed as she’d been in response to both her and Fluttershy speaking perfectly good Equine to her.

Personne ici ne parle français?” Fluttershy blinked and stared in puzzlement for a second.

“Um, excuse me? I’m so sorry, I don’t understand you,” she said, baffled, as Applejack cut in.

“Uh, yeah, about that—this filly don’t speak Equine for some reason. How’ bout you stay here with her and Angel Bunny whilst I go fetch Twilight, I mean Princess Twilight,” she told Fluttershy as she took off down the street towards the tree house.

“I guess…” Fluttershy trailed off as she returned to observing Angel Bunny making friends with the stranger. Funny how animals were good about such things, she thought with not a little relief as the stranger proceeded to get acquainted, cooing at Angel Bunny in that slurred, nasal and guttural language she was speaking. Fluttershy had managed to introduce herself as best she could by the time Applejack came clattering back to the side of the street, with Twilight Sparkle in tow, gliding by her side.

“So, what’s this about a Pony not speaking Equine?” Twilight had never heard of such a thing, and that had been what pried her away from her magical studies set to her by Princess Celestia to investigate something so weird and unique.

“Yeah, try talking to her,” Applejack shot back. “I can’t understand a word she’s saying.”

“OK...Miss? I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle, what’s your name?” The white filly’s puzzlement rapidly turned into frustration as she stomped her hoof on the street and let out a stream of what had to be some choice language, the way their ears were tingling afterward.

“Alright then! Let me see...I think I can work this,” Twilight commented as she closed her eyes and her horn began glowing. The white filly, gasped and stumbled back, frightened again.

Sorcellerie! Es-tu une sorcière,” she stammered as her eyes took on a brief purple glow. Her next words were in perfect Equine, to the relief of all present.

“What did you just do? D-did you just cast a spell on me?!”

“Um, yeah...magic is common all throughout Equestria,” Twilight replied. “But you’re not from these parts, are you?”

“Where I am from, sorcerers and witches are burned at the stake.And no, I am from Rouen, in France. What is ‘Equestria’?” The white filly’s shock was rapidly wearing off and she seemed to be taking stock of things now that she could communicate with everybody present.

“Burn me at the stake? That’s not exactly how we do things here, Miss…?”

“Amy. Amy Sorel,” the filly replied, still appearing wary about talking to Twilight. Twilight got the hint and continued on.

“Equestriais this land, and you’re in Ponyville right now. Canterlot is our capital city, not far from here. Where’s France,” Twilight replied, her eyes lighting up eagerly at the prospect of discovering new things, such as a country she’d never heard of before. “Oh! I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, by the way.”

“Eh? I’ve never heard a name like that one—what does it mean,” Amy asked, momentarily abandoning her wariness.

“It’s when I was born, at twilight. My parents liked it, so that’s what they named me. Please, tell me more about where you’re from—are there Ponies there in...France, was it?” Twilight was agog with excitement, to the mild consternation of Applejack and Fluttershy, and Applejack took it upon herself to put a clamp down on her friend’s overpowering enthusiasm before it got out of hoof.

“Uh, yeah, I’m Applejack, from Sweet Apple Acres. When did you get here, Miss Amy?”

“It can’t have been more than a day or twosince I was brought here by...dear God! Soul Edge! Have you seen it here, or anywhere nearby,” Amy gasped.

“Soul Edge? What’s that?” Fluttershy finally interjected, sounding nervous. “Oh! Forgive my manners! I’m Fluttershy, and this is Angel Bunny.” The introductions only seemed to calm Amy slightly.

“It is...something I don’t feel at ease discussing in public like this,” she finally replied, after a brief pause and much frowning, lowering her voice. “It is something that could easily alarm the rest of your people, and I don’t want that; they were kind to me even when I couldn’t speak with them. And after your helping me the way you have, even though it involved witchcraft, I owe you that much courtesy.”

“What do you mean, ‘witchcraft’? That doesn’t sound too pleasant,” Twilight said back. “You’re welcome, by the way.” Amy winced slightly and bowed her head.

“Apologies, I meant no offense. This is clearly a much different world than Europe.”

“No worries. Why don’t we head indoors and get some food in you,” Twilight said. “I bet that would help—when was the last time you ate?”

“Oh, I don’t remember. Thank you very much, Mademoiselle Twilight—or should it be Madame,” Amy asked, clearly relieved at the idea.

“Yeah! I’ll grab a few extra apple fritters for us and join y’all in a sec,” Applejack added, darting back to the stall where her brother and grandmother were still orchestrating things, and obviously curious about what was going on. A few hurried words and several fritters grabbed later, she was on her way to catch up to the others.

Comments ( 2 )

Colour me interested.
I wonder which others Soul Calibur characters they will meet.

This was interesting. I'd have liked to see more.

Login or register to comment