• Published 9th Jul 2019
  • 1,596 Views, 245 Comments

The Dusk Guard Saga: Hunter/Hunted - Viking ZX



An ancient, lost empire is on the verge of returning from its imprisonment, and the Dusk Guard have been dispatched. Their mission? Retake the city, secure it, and above all, keep its ancient ruler from seizing control once more.

  • ...
5
 245
 1,596

Chapter 13

A gust of wind slid into the side of The Hummingbird, sending the aircraft rolling to the side and almost pulling Hunter’s hooves out from beneath him. “Crikey! You’d think this weather couldn’t get any more crook!”

“Sorry,” Sky Bolt said as he let go of the cockpit door frame. The sudden gust had even made her wings flare out.

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” The deck beneath his feet jerked once more, and a crash echoed out of the main room. He turned to see Nova picking himself up off of the floor, a scowl on his face.

“This just gets better and better doesn’t it?”

Hunter nodded as another crack of thunder echoed through the cockpit. “It’s going to get worse before it gets better. A few of those storms will cancel one another out, but the ones that’re left? They’re going to make a right mess of things when they’re all working together. The worst of it is yet to come.” He turned back to Sky Bolt. “Speaking of which, Bolt, can you land this thing in weather like this?”

“Iffy!” Bolt called, her voice rolling over another cry of thunder. “If the wind goes down, sure. If not … there’s no way. Not without a hangar. The wind’s fighting us hard as it is!”

He nodded. Not the best news. It’ll make things right stroppy. Ahead of the airship, the winds roared around the Crystal Range, the mountains so wrapped in shear winds of snow that they appeared to have rivers moving through the air around them.

“What if you can’t land it?” he asked. “Is there any way you can deflate the envelope a little?”

Bolt shook her head. “No. I could, but we’d be grounded for days. The Hummingbird can generate a little liftgas if needed, but not enough to do something like that.”

“So you’ll have to stay aboard until the weather settles.”

“Pretty much.”

He let out a sigh. “Well … dang. Hopefully this weather lets up. Maybe you can run recon from the air.”

“Maybe. We wouldn’t be able to communicate, though.”

“I know.” Bolt leaned down and adjusted something as The Hummingbird shook again. “We could try landing on the other side of the mountains.”

He shook his head. “No. We cross the mountains, we’re out of Equestrian territory. Steel was explicit: The Ocean is off-limits. We poke our heads in there and get spotted, and we could be in a world of trouble.”

“Literally,” Nova called from the main room. “Bolt uses the ethereal crystal from up there in most of our gear.”

“How’d you know that?” he asked, turning and giving the unicorn a raised brow.

“I’ve watched her,” Nova replied. “She has me test some of the stuff out when she’s prototyping it.”

“I get it,” Bolt said, her voice loud and clear. “We violate international obligations, The Ocean stops trading with us, bad things happen.”

“That is the bad thing,” Hunter said.

“Is that why everyone’s keeping it so quiet that Blade is there on your instructions?”

His wings almost popped out before he stopped them, and he gave Bolt a stern look. “How’d you find out about that?”

She shrugged even as the airship shook again, rattling under a heavy gust of wind. “I put two and two together around the time you ended up with all that KP. Between what Steel was saying and what was going on … not too hard to figure out.”

Figures. “I guess we are supposed to be the best at what we do.” He turned and looked back at Nova. “What about—?”

“Two minutes after the meeting was over.”

Hunter frowned. “And you didn’t say anything to Steel?”

“Okay,” Nova said, rolling his eyes. “I didn’t figure everything out. I thought he knew, and the whole ‘not our job anymore’ thing was just cover. Right up until the KP. Unless that was cover too.”

Hunter shook his head. “Maybe I don’t give you guys enough credit. Is there anyone who didn’t know?”

Sky Bolt shrugged. “Dawn, maybe. Unless Nova told her.”

“I did not,” came Nova’s voice. “I figured it was ‘need to know.’ Clandestine, you know?”

“And I didn’t tell Sabra, but he might have figured it out on his own.”

“All that time you two spend together and it never came up?” Nova called.

“We’ve got plenty of better things to talk about than ramifications of Hunter’s KP.”

“I’ll bet.”

“You wanna walk home?”

Hunter shook his head, grinning as the banter between the two came to a stop, Nova chuckling. “Anyhow …” he said, grabbing the doorframe as The Hummingbird shook under a particularly violent gust. “So you won’t be able to land, but you might be able to run recon?”

“It depends on what I’m looking for,” Bolt said with a shrug. “Any ideas? And I still wouldn’t be able to talk to you outside of flashing the running lights.”

“Don’t military airships do that to communicate?”

She nodded. “Yeah, but they all have their own codes. Plus, they have colored lights.” Her face took on a darker cast, one of regret. “One more thing to add to the list of items that ‘should have been there when I built this thing.’”

“Hey,” Hunter said, resting a hoof on her shoulder. “Looking back, right?”

She nodded, the look of disappointment leaving her face. “Yeah, but it’s one more thing to put on the list of things to do.”

“That’s for after-mission reports,” Hunter said. “For now, let’s focus on the mission. About how far out are we from the glacier?”

“In this weather?” Sky Bolt flipped the maps down and checked her instruments. “Based on our current speeds … at least another hour. Maybe two. Depends on the storm.”

“How likely is it to go our way?” Nova asked from behind Hunter. He stepped aside, letting the colt into the cockpit.

“Not likely,” Bolt said as another gust shook the cockpit. “We might get a break near the edges, but …” She waggled her wings from side to side. “No way to know until we get there.”

“So then, an hour or two to figure out what you’re going to do until the weather stabilizes.”

If it stabilizes,” Nova added.

“If it stabilizes,” he corrected. “We can’t just abandon The Hummingbird—and it was never on the table,” he added as Bolt shot him a horrified look. “There’s no way we’re doing that. Best we can do is have you run recon from the air, maybe work as a mobile base? Until the weather clears and you can set her down somewhere.” He glanced down at the control panel. “She does have a searchlight, right?”

“Yeah.” Bolt reached below the controls and fiddled with something. A brilliant beam of light cut through the storm ahead of them. “I can move it too,” she added, the beam twisting and turning. “Problem is, the darker it gets and the more snow we have, the harder it’ll be, and it blinds me to everything else.”

“Still, might be useful in a pinch. Signaling or something.” He let out a sigh. “Might help if we knew what we were supposed to be hunting down and distracting.”

“King Sombra,” Bolt said, but then Nova shook his head.

“That’s who, not what,” he said, earning him a frown.

“He’s a unicorn. Steel said that much.”

“No, Nova’s right,” Hunter said. “He was a unicorn. Now he’s a ‘shade.’ Whatever that is.”

“Whatever it is, it doesn’t have a body,” Nova said.

“Right.” He nodded. “So that’s one thing we know about it. So what will it look like? A ghost? Am animated pile of sticks sort of like a timberwolf? Snow monster? Sentient cloud?” He shook his head. “And if he’s any of those things, what sort of weird powers is he going to have? Can he fly? Pass through walls? What we know is pretty shonky, and what we don’t know …”

He let his voice trail off, silence—or as close as the interior of The Hummingbird got to it—filling the empty air. Both Nova and Sky Bolt appeared to be deep in thought, though about what, he couldn’t say for certain.

“Okay,” Sky Bolt said at last. “So we don’t know what we’re looking for, outside of maybe ‘we’ll know it when we see it.’”

“Well, anything the Princesses would describe as a ‘shade’ probably would be fairly easy to connect,” Nova broke in. “And Hunter knows the local wildlife, so he could probably point out if something is out-of-place or doesn’t look right. And Steel did say that it’s a being of magic and spirit—”

“Which means my mod—I mean, the one you’re using,” Bolt said, looking at Hunter. “It should be able to track him.”

“We guessed that. That’s why I took it.”

“Right,” Nova said. “But all cards on the table. If it’s magic, I can probably figure out a spell to hurt it.”

“Figure out a spell?”

Nova shrugged. “If all else fails, hit it harder, remember? I can blast things with the best of them. It might not stop him, but it couldn’t hurt. I mean … You know what I meant.”

“If the Princesses are right, we won’t be able to stop him,” Sky Bolt pointed out. “We’re a … what was it?”

“Holding action,” Hunter said. Another gust rolled over The Hummingbird, but this time the shake seemed to be coming from the rear of the aircraft, jostling him back slightly. Maybe the wind was shifting in their favor? “We can’t beat him, and he’ll only get stronger. We’re to delay him from getting to the city as long as possible.”

“Granted,” he said. “It does sound a bit stroppy given how little we know. But the Princesses wouldn’t have sent us if they weren’t sure we could handle it.”

“So we’re back to square one,” Nova said. “What do we do with The Hummingbird.

“The mobile base idea has merit,” Hunter said. “Stay low as you can, provide light, shelter if we need it. Glaciers aren’t going to have any trees growing on them, so we’ll have plenty of wide-open space if we need it. Off the glacier, though …” His eyes slid to the world outside the cockpit and the tight, rocky spires of the Crystal Range. They looked to be pure white at a distance, but he knew better. There were plenty of trees and rock on the steep slopes.

“What?” Nova asked. “Aren’t the mountains just stone and snow?”

It was Sky Bolt that shook her head. “No, and even that’s dangerous. Winds near mountains can get really aggressive and unpredictable. The last thing we need is for The Hummingbird to get sucked into a cliff-face and shredded.”

“But even outside that,” she continued. “There are a lot of trees on those mountains. Not a huge amount, but enough that I’d be at risk of getting tangled or worse if I got too close.”

“So he’ll have cover to hide under,” Nova said. “And plenty of places to keep far away from you.”

“Again, if I can land this thing, it won’t be a problem,” Bolt added. “But remember that I also have to get back to it when we see the dome go up over the city—”

“To get Captain Song and the rest of the team,” Nova said, nodding. “I know. I’m in with what we’re doing. Just … sorting it out.”

Again the silence descended, settling over them like a cold blanket. Hunter cleared his throat.

“Okay,” he said as they both turned to look at him. “Assuming Sky Bolt can’t land then, let’s formulate a plan for working with it. We know that Sombra was sealed somewhere around the Glacier of Woe.” He reached out and tapped the map for emphasis. “The glacier has shifted and moved over the last thousand years, though, and we don’t really know if his sealing moved with it or stayed in place. The glacier is large, but it does give us a decent place to start. Plus,” he said, rubbing a hoof against his chin, “maybe a clue in the name, too.”

“In the name?” Nova asked.

“You know why it’s called the Glacier of Woe?”

“Just what Dawn told us already,” Nova said. “It got names that after the first explorer said it was moaning all the time. And that it was creepy.”

“But … don’t glaciers do that anyway?” Bolt asked. “The moaning, I mean. Not the creepy bit. Like, it’s ice moving and all that?”

Hunter shook his head. “They’ll creak sometimes, yeah. Sound like thunder another. Moaning, though? Not normal. This one sounds like ‘a soul trapped in torment.’ At least, that’s the story I heard in the Rangers.”

“A soul in torment does sound a bit like a sealed shade,” Nova agreed. “Was there any more to that?”

“Nothing useful, unless you count the fact that everypony likes to turn it into a scary story about how the moaning drove the explorer mad, and he went back and dove into a crevasse, with his haunted corpse now hunting explorers and creating the very moans that drove him mad.”

“Seriously?”

“No,” he said, shaking his head. “First of all, the explorer was a her, but it’s a him in the story. Second, she retired after a number of expeditions to the North Pole. She was only in the Crystal Range for training anyway.”

“You looked it up, didn’t you?” Nova asked, grinning.

“Dinkum I did,” Hunter said, stomping one hoof. “But even if the story about the explorer cracking a fruity isn’t true, the story about why the glacier is named that is. Most beings avoid the place on account of it being ‘creepy.’ Sure, there’s plenty of goss and bush chinwagging going on about the place, but when it comes right down to it? It makes spooky, creepy noises.”

“And that could be because of our guy.”

He nodded. “Yeah. So with or without Bolt on the ground, we’ll start there. If we’re on the ground, we’re going to want to be tethered. Have either of you ever been on a glacier?” Bolt and Nova looked at one another before shaking their heads.

“Right, well, it’s dangerous. Really dangerous. The ice is moving. Slowly, but it’s moving. Maybe a few inches a year. What that means is that it’s always shifting. Crevasses can open up without warning. Sometimes the ice splits apart beneath a thin coat of snow, a little slot canyon of ice hundreds of feet deep and covered only by snow that looks the same as anything else. We’ll take climbing gear: Ice axes, harnesses, and we’ll stay tethered at all times. One of us falls in, it’ll be up to whoever they’re tethered to to get them out. As well as not join them.”

“Couldn’t you just fly out?” Nova asked.

“If it was wide enough for my wings,” he replied. “And sure, I could fly over the glacier, but the wind might be so strong I’d get tired out. If we have to do things the hard way—and it’s kind of looking like we will—we’d best be ready for it.”

“So we take full survival gear,” he continued. “In fact, it might be better if Sky Bolt stays in The Hummingbird and flies support if possible, at least at first. Give us a wider look at things without tiring yourself. At least help us find what we’re looking for.” He looked at the pegasus. “You do have that searchlight.”

“And I could flash the running lights if I find something,” she said, before reaching out and flicking a switch with her hoof, the magilights on the exterior of the airship flicking off and on. “Won’t be as useful in the day, but at night …”

“No, that’s good,” Hunter said. “And if Nova and I found something, I can light a flare, or Nova could send up a flash with his horn. As far as what we’re looking for …” He shrugged. “Anything that looks suspicious. Out of place. Oddly out of place.”

“What about when we find it?”

“I don’t know.” It felt almost relieving to say the words aloud. “I mean, I wish I did, but we’re kind of flying in the dark here. I guess it depends on what we find, and what this Sombra does. For all we know, we might find a thousand-plus-year old corpse.”

“Ugh,” Bolt said, sticking her tongue out in disgust. “I hope not.”

“What would we do then?” Nova asked.

He shrugged. “Secure it and keep looking. From what we know, he’s a creature of magic and spirit. A body doesn’t mean much if he’s given it up.”

“And if we don’t find anything?”

“We keep looking until we do, or Steel says otherwise.” Another gust rolled over The Hummingbird, again pushing them forward through the air. The mountains did look a lot closer. Maybe we’re making better time than we thought.

“Still, aside from safety and searching, we need to talk about the ‘delay’ part of our mission too,” he continued after a few moments. “Which, unfortunately, until we have a better idea of what we’re up against, is kind of hard to plan for. Best I can say is ‘we keep him away from the Crystal Empire.’ If that means traps, we make them. If it means fighting, we do that. If it means distracting, we do that. How …?” He shrugged again. “Maybe you’ll have better ideas, or we all will once we see this guy.”

“Well, running fights while keeping somepony occupied were something I used to have a lot of experience with,” Nova said with a shrug of his own.

“Used to?” Bolt shook her head. “I saw the chase you led the Night Guard on during that practice game last week. “You had them crashing into each other.”

“True,” Nova said with what was probably supposed to be a humble nod, though the grin on his muzzle spoiled it somewhat. “That was fun.”

“Good point, Bolt,” Hunter said, giving the mare a grin of his own. “Which means that for tactical, in-the-moment things, Nova, I’m going to be looking to you.”

“Wait, me? Wh—?” His jaw snapped shut, Nova having clearly already answered his own question. Hunter spoke, their voices echoing in tandem. “Because I’m good at it.”

“Because you’re good at it. Rather, you’re the best at it,” Hunter added. “You know how to find the buttons to push that’ll aggro up this Sombra so he won’t even think of heading for the Crystal Empire. I’ll keep you in-check, or you’ll explain to me why doing something is a good or bad idea.”

“Sort of like how Steel handles the big things while you handle us half the time,” Sky Bolt said as she checked their heading once more.

“Right. Sort of like that.”

“All right,” Nova said. For once his expression was one of pure seriousness. “I’ll do what I can.”

“Careful, Nova,” Sky Bolt said as she slapped the maps back up into the ceiling. “You’re getting leadership on you. Stuff’s contagious.”

“There’s six of us,” Nova replied with a roll of his eyes. “And of those six, Sabra and I are the only specialists left. Even if I got promoted, who would I order around? Him? Besides, I don’t think I can get promoted. Working off my crimes, remember?”

“He’s right,” Hunter said with a bit of a shrug. “He’s probably never going past specialist. Not that he needs to. When we’re in a blue and everything’s gone bodgy, if he’s the only one who hasn’t cracked, then he’s the one I’m following.”

“All right, all right,” Sky Bolt said, holding up a hoof. “I get it. I’ve still got one more question: what are you two going to do while I go back and get the rest of the team?”

Hunter glanced at Nova. “Depends,” he said after a moment. “On what we’re up against, I mean. We’ll probably both stay, but maybe not.” He shrugged. “We’ll deal with that storm when it comes. If it’s a storm at all.”

“So … flying in the dark.”

“To be fair,” he said. “That is our job. Golems, crazy railway mares … now an ancient empire.”

Sky Bolt nodded but didn’t say anything, staring out the cockpit at the storm. Nova looked at her for a moment and then gave him a pointed look.

Hunter cleared his throat. “Something else on your mind, Bolt?”

“It’s nothing.”

Right. And I’m a Princess. “You’re staring out at nothing, corporal.”

“What if … we don’t get the call to go back?”

Ah … She was worried, then. Maybe some shades of her stress issues after the ERS thing breaking back through.

“It’ll come,” he said, giving her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. “Steel will come out on top.”

“Are you sure?”

He nodded. “Have some faith in him, Bolt. Steel’s been in more battles than those ponies are likely to have seen or read about. For that matter, have some faith in your coltfriend. We’ll get the call. I just hope we’re not bored out of our minds when it comes.”

“Be careful what you wish for,” Nova said. “There’s an old curse that basically says ‘may you live in interesting times.’ From the Plainslands, actually. I think. But given what we could be up against, I’d rather be bored.”

“Not a bad way to look at it.” Hunter glanced back at Sky Bolt. “But Bolt, they’ll be fine. Steel’s got a lot of experience with this kind of thing. By the time Captain Armor and the rest of the Guard arrive, they’ll be lucky if they have anything left to do.” There did seem to be a little bit of relief in her eyes, though it was hard to tell.

“They’ll be fine,” he said, bringing his eyes back to the nearing Crystal Mountains. Almost there. “They know what to do.”

I just wish we had as good an idea of what was coming as those three did.

* * *

“Hey, Hunter!”

He sat up with a start, a startled “Huh?” leaving his mouth. The world came back to him in a rush. Airship. Crystal Mountains. Sombra.

“You fell asleep,” Nova was saying. He was standing by the bunk. His bunk. That was right. He’d laid down for a moment to catch up on sleep after they’d finished discussing the mission. And then …

I guess I got what I wanted. He shook his head, blinking away stickiness and letting out a quick yawn. Nova wasn’t still speaking, or shouting, so it wasn’t an emergency. “What’s up?” he asked. “We there?”

Nova nodded. “Just about. Figured I should wake you up.”

“How long was I out?”

“About twenty-five minutes.”

He blinked. No wonder he already felt awake. “That quick?”

Nova shrugged. “The storm’s finally at our backs, so we’re making some good time.”

“Right.” He shifted, rotating and glancing out the side window. A sharp, steep, craggy mountainside met his eyes, dotted with tall, stiff pines and wrapped in wind-swept white. “Yup, those’re the Crystal Mountains all right.” Snow swirled past the glass, carried past by the heavy winds, and he twisted back, rolling out of the bunk and dropping to his hooves. A twinge in his neck made him pause, and he twisted for a moment, stretching the area and feeling a welcome pop from somewhere inside.

Note to self, he thought as he picked up his helmet. Sleeping in your armor can be uncomfortable. He stretched once more, then began trotting toward the cockpit.

He saw it even before Sky Bolt spoke at his entrance. Ahead of them, the rolling, craggy shape of the mountains was abruptly terminated by a plain of dirty white, a flat, crusted surface that stretched for a mile or more between the sides of two peaks. He looked north, his eyes following the glacier as it wound back through the peaks toward its source, and then south, his eyes following it down to the end of the range, where it carved a path across the plains. Eventually, it would calve and melt, the icebergs drifting down a shallow river until they joined Neighagra Falls and the rest of Equestria.

And somewhere along that length, we’re supposed to find our pony. “How’s the wind?” he asked before Sky Bolt could say anything, his mind skipping ahead. “Good enough to land?”

“Hard to say. We’re flying smoother, but the winds along the glacier might be pretty strong. I’m not sure what I would anchor to.”

Crikey. I forgot about that. “It’s fine.” He took a glance at the dimming sky. “We’re not going to have much light anyway. I want you in the sky, keeping overwatch on Nova and I and getting a better view.”

“Are we going to sleep on the ground?” Nova asked as he stepped into the cockpit behind him, his eyes fixed on the distant glacier. “Because that looks cold.”

“Not if we can help it.” He glanced at Sky Bolt. “We’ll take our gear just in case, but if we can sleep aboard The Hummingbird, we should.”

“It’d be warmer.”

“And safer,” Hunter said, staring at the distant glacier, his eyes rolling over each crimp in the rough surface. “This is prime yeti territory. Ice-worms too. And frostwolves. And worse. The stuff rangers drive out of Equestria. We’ll sleep in the tents if we have to, but unless we have to, I’d prefer to sleep somewhere off the ground.” He pulled his eyes away from the glacier and looked closer to the airship, his eyes searching the trees and open snows beneath them.

“Binoculars,” he said after a moment, and Sky Bolt complied.

“What is it?” she asked as he stepped forward, getting a better angle on the ground.

“Is it Sombra?” Nova asked. There was a hint of excitement to the colt’s voice, because of course there was.

“No,” he said. “Yeti.”

“What? Where?”

He lowered the glasses, pointing. “Not actual yeti, but sign. Down there. There’s a clear spot where the snow’s been beaten down and branches have been broken off the surrounding trees. Yeti nest. Abandoned now, but worth knowing. They’re aggressively territorial, and very dangerous if they catch you off-guard.” As they had Swift. A faint pang echoed through his chest.

“What do we do if we encounter some?” Nova asked.

“Depends on how many of them there are.” He lifted the glasses once more, checking the surrounding terrain. “They’re doubtlessly still around, but the storm might have them seeking shelter.” It was no use looking further: The storm had made it impossible to trace any tracks from their altitude. I’d need to be down on the ground. And we’re not supposed to be tracking yeti anyway.

Unless their quarry was using them somehow. Could a shade do that? He wondered as he lowered the binoculars. Steel really should have asked more questions.

Then again, maybe the Sisters themselves didn’t know. “Either way, with luck they won’t bother us. If they do …” He glanced over at the armored unicorn. “They’re a bit like a minotaur. Bipedal. Not quite as tough. More agile, though. And really poofy fur for warmth. And a really thick skull with horns; don’t go for a head-shot if you’re not sure it’ll connect. Go for the gut. Hit hard and fast, and they’ll fall back. They’re ambush hunters, not fighting predators. They get their claws on you though …” He couldn’t quite conceal the shiver that walked down his shoulders and back like a crawling spider. “You’ve got armor,” he finished. “Hope it doesn’t cut the undersuit.”

Thankfully, Nova didn’t ask any other questions, and he gave the clearing a final look, checking for any signs of a creche or recent kill. Nothing, he thought as he lowered the glasses once more. Either it’s hidden under the trees, or they took it with them when they moved on. The airship rattled again, wind jostling it in the sky.

“Hey, Hunter.” Sky Bolt’s voice tugged him from his focus, and he turned to see her holding out a hoof, her eyes fixed on something to the north of The Hummingbird. “Hand me those binoculars.”

“You don’t have a second set?” Nova asked as Hunter complied.

“Just give,” Bolt said, peering through the glasses, her brow furrowing.

“You see something?” Hunter asked. He tried following her line of sight, but all he could make out was the long trail of the glacier heading north.

“I’m not—wait a minute.” Sky Bolt adjusted the binoculars, scowling as the airship bounced beneath her and threw her view off. “Come on … There!” She pointed with one hoof, excitement in her voice.

“What is it?” he asked, stepping around the front of the control panel, hooves on the glass, and still looking in the same direction Bolt was.

“Here,” she shoved the binoculars toward him. “You see that dark patch on the glacier?”

“Which one?”

“The one on the right side. That kind of looks like a fish?”

His eyes locked on it. Or at least, what he hoped was it. “About a quarter of the way up the mountain from us? Yeah, I see it.”

“Look to the left. You’ll see it.”

“Right.” He hefted the binoculars, the distant world blurring before growing somewhat clear once more. He had to lower them once to make sure he was looking in the right direction, but once he was sure of it, he started panning the view left until—

“Oh,” he said as he brought the glasses to a stop, trying to compensate for the juddering motion of their ride. “I think I see it. Black-looking crystal jutting out of a crevasse?”

“Yeah. Is that natural?”

“No,” he said, eyeing the distant shape. It was simple, almost straightforward. In a way, it looked like the tip of one of the crystals found in the caverns beneath Canterlot, but so dark it almost looked like it was absorbing light rather than reflecting it. “How’d you spot it?” He lowered the glasses for a brief moment; the crystal was nothing more than a faint, black speck on the glacier.

“I thought I saw something glint, like glass.”

He nodded as he lifted the binoculars again, catching sight of the crystal’s surface flashing under distant bolt of lightning. “Just saw it too. Nice catch, Bolt.”

“Is that it, then?” Nova asked. “Can I see it?”

“It’s definitely not normal,” Hunter said, holding the binoculars on the bit of crystal and then on the glacier around it. “At least, it’s not natural. I’ve never seen anything like that in a glacier before, but it could be something carried down from somewhere else.”

“That said, it is crystal.” he said, passing the binoculars to Nova. “Weird-looking crystal. Good a place as any to start looking.” He glanced at Sky Bolt. “Can you bring us down right on top of it?”

“Not on top,” she said, adjusted the controls. “But I can bring us down pretty close.”

He nodded. “Good. Let’s get to it, and go take a look.”

Author's Note:

Hunter's going hunting. Along with Nova and Sky Bolt.

Anyway, remember that there are new chapters on Tuesdays and Fridays, as well as every hundred upvotes! If you're enjoying the story so far, don't forget to check out my website or my published books!