• Published 8th Jul 2019
  • 2,295 Views, 484 Comments

Teahouses of Saddle Arabia - Amber Spark



Twilight and Sunset learn a very important lesson: never underestimate the eccentricities of used bookstores on a cold Canterlot night.

  • ...
13
 484
 2,295

Dawnbreak Trading Company

Earl Grey is the finest tea this world has ever crafted, Sunset thought as she took a long sip of the nigh-scalding liquid. I don’t care what’s in this stupid book. Nothing will compare to this tea at this moment.

Across the table, Twilight looked like she felt much the same regarding her green tea, though it didn’t have a single bit of caffeine in it. The lack of caffeine was probably why Twilight’s eyes kept trying to slide shut on her.

Their table was tucked in a far corner of the combination cafe and bookstore off Clover Avenue. It was an older shop, really more cafe than bookstore. In fact, they were best known for being the most popular spot for book clubs and book trades. Sunset had come here on the first day of her second year as an aide to Professor Apple Polish. It had been after the summer when she’d made friends with Minuette, Twinkleshine and—eventually—Lemon Hearts. Professor Polish had been eager to get her aide started out on the right hoof, especially since she was no longer the outright hostile and belligerent foal she’d been the year before.

Sunset remembered sitting at this very spot with Professor Polish after the end of the day’s classes. Polish had asked about her summer and Sunset told the story. She’d been so excited, she’d actually spilled her Earl Grey while describing the war against the blood dragons in their first Ogres and Oubliettes game after Moon Dancer had come back from Trottingham.

Polish had looked like a proud mother that day.

I should see if the girls are down for another session sometime soon. Maybe actually drag Twilight along this time. Moon Dancer would probably help me.

The thought of Moon Dancer brought her mind back to the here and now. Even though she didn’t really want to be in the here and now. The here and now meant she had to think about how tired she was. It meant she had to think of what happened in the last twelve hours or so. It meant… well, more than what she wanted to deal with.

“So, some night,” Sunset offered in an observation both insightful and wise.

“Yeah,” Twilight mumbled in an equally brilliant manner.

They looked at their tea. They drank their tea.

A waitress came by. She set down two fresh teapots on the table and left without a word.

Well, she’s a smart one, Sunset thought, watching her go. I don’t want to be here either.

Sunset opened her mouth. She had no idea what she was going to say, but somepony had to start. “Twilight, I—”

“Do you ever think about what Princess Celestia told us the day you brought me to meet her?” Twilight asked in something close to a whisper. “About… about us?”

With just those words, Sunset could see herself and Twilight staring up at Princess Celestia. She wore a concerned expression as she looked at the two of them.

“Both of you are just learning to be friends. Do not complicate matters. Such magic tends to magnify emotional states. What you feel at present may not be the truth.”

Then she was here again, but the words continued to echo in her mind.

Sunset swallowed. She could lie, but in reality, they both already knew the answer to that question. “Yes. Probably way more than I should.”

“Has it… has it ever… gotten better for you?”

Sunset didn’t answer at first. She busied herself with refilling their teacups and nibbling on a chocolate biscuit.

“Twilight, why are you asking?” Sunset asked. Her head was pounding. Caffeine or not, she was so freaking tired. “Like I said… we both made our decisions.”

“No,” Twilight whispered, watching her teacup. “We didn’t.”

That brought Sunset up short. “What?”

“We didn’t make that decision, Sunset.” Twilight still didn’t look up.

“Uh… yes, we did?” Sunset scratched her head. “I made the suggestion and you—”

“Do I seem like the kind of pony who would argue something like that with you?” Twilight stared at her tea as if it contained the secrets to the universe. “Especially considering the Princess’s advice?”

The answer came almost unbidden to Sunset. “No. No, you don’t.”

When she said those words, something deflated inside of her. It was everything she could do not to collapse on the table from the sudden wave of weariness.

“After you told me that it wouldn’t work between us…” Her voice caught for the briefest of moments. “You decided to set me up with Moon Dancer, Sunset. And… it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“I’m glad.” And she was. Mostly. “Though it wasn’t all me, Twilight. Moon Dancer and you had some stuff to work out.”

“I know,” Twilight with a faint shrug. “And… I’m glad we did. It was definitely better than screaming at each other over library cataloguing methodologies.”

Sunset smiled a little. “I was so terrified to introduce you to Princess Celestia after that night. I was sure you’d lose it.”

“I’m pretty sure I did anyway.”

“Yeah… you really did.”

They looked at their tea. They drank their tea.

“You made the decision, Sunset,” Twilight continued. “Not me.”

“But… I just told you… you made the decision to go with Moon Dancer!” Sunset protested, feeling her heart race, though she wasn’t sure why. “Yes, maybe the girls and I twisted your hoof a little at the very beginning, but after? No! No, that’s not what happened. I know she’s not forcing you to stay! You’re with her now because you want to!”

“I do want to be with her,” Twilight whispered, her voice barely audible over the morning traffic of the store. “She’s… everything I could have hoped for. But sometimes I wonder…”

Twilight trailed off, biting her lip.

“Wonder what?” Sunset didn’t want to know. But she needed to know. “What do you wonder, Twilight?”

“I wonder if she's everything I could have wanted.”

They looked at their tea. They drank their tea.

“Have you talked to her about it?” Sunset asked.

“A little,” Twilight shrugged, her voice still reserved. She hadn’t looked up once since starting the topic. “She’s your best friend, Sunset. She knows you better than anypony, save for Princess Celestia. And at the beginning, we decided we would take things one day at a time. And every day has been great. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if Moon Dancer knew everything.”

“She does,” Sunset replied morosely.

“So… what am I supposed to do?”

“Twilight, you were there when I made a date with Surprise for next week.” Sunset sighed. “And I know you’re going to spend half your day with Moon Dancer’s family tomorrow.”

Twilight nodded a little, still not looking up. It was starting to drive Sunset a little crazy.

You are going to go have fun with Moon Dancer,” Sunset said, forcing her voice to be firm. “You’re going to do… whatever it is that you two do… and you’re going to have the time of your lives. This stupid spell thing will fade in time. Hopefully, the memories that got jumbled up will fade, too.”

“You don’t know that,” Twilight said after another sip. She was barely moving. It was like having a conversation with a tea-sipping statue. “You can’t know that. I read through the research, Sunset. If anything, sometimes I worry that it’s getting stronger.”

“Stronger.” Sunset wasn’t quite able to make it a question.

Twilight nodded slowly. “Stronger. The connection I’m building with you, your friends, my old friends, all of them… it’s getting stronger every day. But more than anything, it’s strongest with Moon Dancer and you. And I sometimes worry yours might…”

She trailed off again, unwilling to finish the sentence, but Sunset couldn’t help but fill it in for her.

She’s worried her connection with me might overshadow her connection with Moon Dancer.

“You said you did the research,” Sunset said. It was her turn to stare into her teacup. “What did it say about the time the effects were supposed to last?”

“I found little but contradictions or vague guesses.”

Sunset heard the clatter of Twilight’s teacup settling in it’s saucer.

“And that has made me wonder, Sunset.”

“Wonder what?”

Twilight didn’t reply and that silence forced Sunset to look up.

Lavender eyes bored into Sunset like sunfire beams. There were no stars there now. Sunset wasn’t even sure what she saw in that gaze now.

“I wonder if that spell did anything more than give us glimpses into one another’s memories.”

Sunset couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Princess Celestia said that—”

“I know what she said,” Twilight said, cutting her off. “I know. I was there. Maybe it did have an effect. Maybe the effect was simply amplification. Maybe… something else is going on. The things I said in leyspace… they didn’t come out right. Not all of it. But most of the things are true.”

“You think Celestia has some sort of grand plan for me? Really?”

“Considering how you reacted to the potential of another Mirror?” Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Yes.”

“That was a low blow, Twilight.”

“Maybe it’s the exhaustion,” Twilight threw up her hooves casually. “I think she does have a plan for you. And if she's hiding something from you, maybe she has a good reason.”

Sunset thought back to a shattered alchemy lab, destroyed in a single stallions attempt to make Sunset pay for her past in the worst way possible. About a confession Sunset had made to Celestia that day. And a promise to wait.

“I don’t know,” Twilight shrugged again and yawned so loud, her jaw popped.

“Maybe. But I don’t think she’d hide this from us,” Sunset said with a shake of her head. “It’ll wear off eventually.”

Twilight didn’t look convinced. And if she were to be absolutely honest with herself, Sunset wasn’t entirely convinced either. This thing between them had gone far beyond harmony spells.

“And if it doesn’t?” Twilight asked. “Sunset, I’m happy with Moon Dancer. I’d like to stay that way. I don’t want you to suffer because of this.”

Sunset closed her eyes and took a slow, deep breath.

“I’ll be fine. And no matter what, I’m happy to see you together with Moon Dancer. You make her happy like you wouldn’t believe. And I’d never take that away. I promise.”

With that, Sunset ended that part of the conversation by pulling the cloth-wrapped bundle out of her saddlebag. She moved aside the tea set with a gentle push of magic. Then, she settled the wrapped book onto the table.

Twilight didn’t look at Sunset, but she did look at the cloth-wrapped book.

“Well, you think we should see what all the fuss was about?” Sunset offered with a weary smile.

“Might as well. Though I should warn you… if that’s not the book, I may blow something up.”

“You’re starting to learn bad habits from me,” Sunset quipped. It didn’t really feel right to tease her… but she needed something to try and lighten the mood. “Blowing up stuff is my thing.”

“Tough,” Twilight replied. “You’re going to have to share.”

“I did check the cover.”

“I think I’m allowed to be a little paranoid this morning.”

Sunset had to agree there. “I think we can share that, too.”

Twilight snorted.

Sunset’s mind wandered back to Minuette’s suggestion the night after Moon Dancer had admitted her feelings for Twilight to Sunset. Specifically, her suggestion on sharing. Then, she shook it off. The idea… well, as selfish as it was, she wanted one pony to be hers and hers alone. She just wasn’t that kind of pony. She didn’t have any problem with those who wanted that sort of relationship. In fact, she admired the few ponies she knew with working relationships like that. But, it simply wasn’t for her.

She shook her head again and focused on the book. It took some doing, but she managed to slowly unwrap the stained dark red cloth. Apparently, she’d been a bit overeager when wrapping it back up in Barns Books. After about a minute of careful manipulation, she finally pulled aside the last flap of fabric.

In the middle of the table sat a worn and battered brown pineapple-leather bound book a little less than an inch thick. The title—embossed in silver and flaking with age—was in Equestrian, with a subtitle in Saddle Arabian. The author’s name was at the bottom. In the center was a stylized tea set.

Teahouses of Saddle Arabia by Saffron Nabat,” Sunset read with a little smile. “Well, that’s it. We have our gift to Princess Celestia.”

“‘We?’” Twilight glanced up and met her eyes. She looked confused. “What do you mean ‘we?’”

Sunset shrugged. “I mean exactly what I said. You worked just as hard for this book as I did. It’s only fair that we give it to her together as a joint present.”

“But… but I already got her something!”

“It doesn’t matter to me.” Sunset shrugged again. “After all you went through last night, giving you half the credit is the least I can do.”

Twilight blushed again and her ears went back. “Well… if I can’t talk you out of it…”

“You can’t,” Sunset said, putting every bit of finality she had left into her voice.

“Thanks,” Twilight replied with a faint smile. “For… everything.”

“No matter what, Twilight,” Sunset said, reaching out and putting her hoof atop of Twilight’s. “You’re still my friend.”

Twilight nodded, but she couldn’t look Sunset in the eye anymore. Instead, she just gently rotated the book so it faced her and then opened it with the delicate touch of an Archivist. Sunset pulled back and went for the cookie tray again.

“Sunset?” Twilight said.

“Hm?”

“There’s… there’s a note in here.”

“What?”

Twilight rotated the book in her magic so it again faced Sunset. Sure enough, there was a small slip of folded parchment. And it had her name on it. Carefully, Sunset pulled it out of the book, only to find a second note beneath it, this one addressed to Twilight.

Sunset levitated over Twilight’s note. They both looked at each other. Twilight’s expression was one of confusion mixed with apprehension. Sunset suspected she wore the same expression.

But there was nothing to be done about it. She sighed and unfolded the note. The first thing that struck her was that the hornwriting was… odd. Glittering violet ink scrawled across the page, but the words were written as if the author had never used a quill before.

Or, maybe they were simply trying too hard to hide their identity.

Sunset scanned through the contents and swallowed.

To Miss Sunset Shimmer,

If you’re reading this, you finally have your prize. I do apologize for the roundabout way in which you had to acquire this book, but it was necessary. As the pony you know as Loose Spring wrote in her message, you are the right pony, in the right place, at the right time. As are those who are closest to you.

Beware of temptations to fall into despair or hatred. Watch the shadows, for they are surely watching you. And strive for Harmony in all things.

I have seen what you can do, Sunset Shimmer. I have seen what you can become. What you will become one day.

You have the potential to be something unlike the world has ever seen. When the time comes and you make that fateful decision… I dearly hope I’m there to see it.

- A Friend

Sunset licked her lips. It sounded crazy. She got the hint that whoever wrote this believed her to be… what? Some epic hero like the ones in the Legends of Equestria? Maybe the next Starswirl the Bearded? It sounded like nonsense, yet the more she stared at the words… the more she became convinced that whoever had written them had believed them to be true.

But believing something to be true and it actually being true were two very different things.

As for her, she didn’t know what she believed.

A shiver ran from her horn to her tail. Goosebumps washed over her body. Even her coat seemed to stand on end.

Part of her wanted nothing more than to crumple up the bizarre note and burn it to ash.

Instead, she carefully folded it back up and slipped it into her saddlebags. As she did so, she noticed Twilight doing something similar. Twilight glanced at her. She looked a little pale and a lot confused.

“Do… you want to talk about it?” Sunset asked.

“Do you want to talk about yours?” Twilight countered.

“Not really,” Sunset admitted. “It’s… pretty crazy.”

“Yeah. Pretty crazy,” Twilight echoed.

Suddenly, a laugh just bubbled out of Sunset. It echoed through the cafe, loud enough that everypony inside stopped what they were doing to stare at her. She found she didn’t care.

“What’s one more bit of crazy to end the night?” Sunset declared with a grin.

“I’ll drink to that.” Twilight lifted her teacup in a toast and Sunset clinked them together.

She finished off her Earl Grey with one enormous long drink and laughed again. This time, Twilight joined in.

“So, Twilight…” Sunset said with a hint of her normal smirk on her face.

“Yes, Sunset?” Twilight smiled weakly back at her and tweaked her glasses. She looked about ready to nibble her bangs but changed her mind at the last second.

“Do me one favor, okay?”

“What’s that?”

“Next time we need to find a book?”

“Uh-huh?”

“We either do it during the day… or we bring the rest of the girls with us. Well, the girls or a squad of Royal Sunburst Dragoons.”

Twilight’s face broke out into a smile as bright as the sun itself.

“That… sounds like a great idea. After all, I’m sure Moon Dancer would love to meet the Librarian… we just have to find him! And with her there, we’ll definitely find him!”

“That’s the Orange Tang thing right?”

“Orangutan,” Twilight corrected her.

“And you know this thing how?”

Twilight yawned and pulled herself upright. “Walk me home and I’ll tell you all about it.”

Sunset slipped Teahouses of Saddle Arabia in her saddlebag and smiled at her friend. “I think that’s a fair trade.”

Sunset Shimmer sat upon the Royal Balcony overlooking the Grand Perspective Opera House as the Canterlot Players finished the first act of A Hearth’s Warming Tale. The audience around and below them stomped their hooves in applause, though few applauded quite as loud as Rara and Minuette. To Sunset’s left, Princess Celestia smiled at the antics of her friends. On Sunset’s right, Twilight looked like she wanted to bury herself in a hole from embarrassment.

“You do realize you’re sitting in the Royal Balcony right?” Moon Dancer nudged her marefriend and Twilight let out a little squeak. “We can pretty much do anything we want and nopony will say a thing!”

Princess Celestia coughed in a serene sort of way.

“Nopony other than Her Majesty would say a thing!” Moon Dancer amended—though she didn’t sound apologetic in the slightest. “And I happen to know Princess Celestia likes me way too much for her to ever do anything like that!”

Sunset glared at Moon Dancer. “Seriously?”

Moon Dancer shrugged and smiled beatifically. “Of course! I’m the poster mare for innocence itself!”

“Coco?” Sunset called down the row. “Did you approve that poster?”

Coco smiled a little shyly and glanced at Rara. “Um… no. That must have slipped past me.”

“It’s not my fault you have terrible quality control!” Moon Dancer shot back.

“Hey now!” Rara protested, instantly coming to Coco defense. “I’ll have you know that Coco has never made a design mistake!”

“Um… Rara?” Coco said quietly. “Tall Tale? Last Fall?”

Rara instantly went scarlet. “That doesn’t count.”

“I was there,” Cheerilee said, raising a hoof. “It so very much does count.”

“It does!” Minuette chimed in. “It totally does!”

Coco went as red as Rara, but Coco was still smiling. Rara just pouted as hard as she could, much to the amusement of the mares around her. Though she’d succeeded in getting attention off of Coco and onto her, something Sunset knew Coco was grateful for. Coco could handle being the center of attention, but she always preferred for somepony else to fill that role.

Moon Dancer cackled merrily. “Oh, that was too easy.”

“You’re impossible,” Twilight groaned, rubbing her temples with her hooves.

“That’s why you adore me!” Moon Dancer said as she grabbed Twilight with a hoof and nuzzled her slightly. Twilight instantly went at least twice as red as Coco while Moon Dancer snickered.

Sunset found herself smiling at Twilight’s discomfort. Some piece of her was a little surprised at that—and there were a few pieces of her that didn’t feel like smiling at all—but she focused on that single happy piece.

It was far better than the alternatives.

“Hey,” Moon Dancer said to Twilight in a low voice, just loud enough for Sunset to hear. “Did you give her it yet?”

Sunset glanced at the Princess, who was waving at a few members of the crowd as they filed out of the auditorium for the intermission. She didn’t miss the slight tilt to Celestia’s ears though. Sunset rolled her eyes.

“Um… no?” Twilight replied. “We haven’t had a chance to. It’s been too busy.”

“How about I take the rest of the girls out and you do it now?” Moon Dancer offered. “That’s why Sunny’s lugging around that bag tonight, right?”

Sunset smirked at her best friend. “You’re too good at this.”

“Yeah,” Moon Dancer sighed dramatically. “It’s hard being me, but I manage.”

Now it was Twilight’s turn to roll her eyes. “Thank you.”

“Of course! Anything for you, Twi!” Moon Dancer gave Twilight one more nuzzle and stood up. “Okay, girls! I’m thinking we need popcorn and hot chocolate. And you’re all coming with me!”

Every single eye slid to Sunset, Twilight and Princess Celestia, though it was only for a moment. They smiled at one another and then left with Moon Dancer.

Princess Celestia turned back and appeared ‘startled’ by the sudden disappearance of the rest of Sunset and Twilight’s friends. She glanced at Sunset with a single eyebrow raised.

Sunset shook her head and laughed. Princess Celestia did the same. Twilight eventually followed suit, but her laugh was a bit more nervous.

“So, it seems you two went on a bit of an adventure,” Princess Celestia said. Her eyes sparkled with barely-suppressed mirth. “That is, if I am to take stock in the rather wild rumors I’ve heard.”

“Oh?” Sunset asked, trying to sound nonchalant and failing miserably. “What did you hear?”

“Well, the first thing that alerted me was a sending telegram from our Ambassador in Saddle Arabia.” Princess Celestia raised both eyebrows this time. “According to reports, a decorative torch was stolen from the personal office of the Curator and used in an illicit teleportation spell within Jeddahoof. Two ponies were described in this communiqué. Two ponies that bear a striking resemblance to the two of you.”

“Oh…” Twilight squeaked. “We did it. We finally did it. We caused an… international incident!

“Hardly.” Princess Celestia laughed. “I told them I had no knowledge of any ponies operating in or around Jeddahoof at that time with the means or ways to teleport anywhere. However, I did promise that if I were to recover said item, I would have it returned by courier with all due speed.”

Sunset winced a little. She lit her horn and slowly levitated out the metal torch from her saddlebag. Without a word, she gave it to the Princess, who instantly made it vanish in a brief flash of golden light.

“There were some minor other things,” Princess Celestia said. “But nothing of immediate consequence. Though, sometime next week, I would very much like to hear how Book Light is doing. It has been some time since he has come to visit.”

“Is this the part where I act surprised?” Sunset asked.

“I don’t know,” Princess Celestia smiled her favorite enigmatic smile. “Should you be?”

Sunset just shook her head. “So, we got you something for Hearth’s Warming, Princess.”

“It was mostly Sunset’s idea!” Twilight said quickly. “I was just… along for the ride!”

“Somehow, I doubt that’s the case,” Princess Celestia replied, smiling at Twilight.

Twilight blushed furiously, though Sunset caught sight of a small smile on her lips.

“Anyway,” Sunset continued. “I remember a couple years ago, you mentioned that somepony had borrowed an old book from you and you’d never gotten it back.”

In an instant, Princess Celestia’s face went impassive.

Sunset’s heart skipped a beat and a small tendril of worry coiled around her. Still, she pulled out the wrapped package from her saddleback and settled it down before the Princess.

“Did you really, now…?” Princess Celestia murmured, almost as if to herself. A small smile flitted across her lips. She glanced at Sunset and Twilight, as if asking for permission to open it.

Sunset smiled at her, trying to keep her apprehension off her face.

With a nod, Celestia shredded the wrapping paper, sending bits of it flying out over the balcony and onto the chatting ponies below. A few ponies made vaguely curious noises, but the Princess ignored them.

Twilight gasped in shock at the Princess’s behavior. Sunset—who knew Celestia far too well to be thrown by this sort of antic—just smirked.

“Well, at the end of our little ‘adventure,’” Sunset continued. “We managed to get a copy. I’ll admit, it wasn’t easy…”

Princess Celestia lifted the book in her golden magic and smiled in an odd sort of way.

Teahouses of Saddle Arabia,” Sunset announced. “By Saffron Nabat.”

“Why… this is quite unexpected,” Princess Celestia said slowly. “And you say… it took quite some effort to get?”

Sunset’s heart started to sink.

“Um… yes?” Sunset replied.

“Is it not the right book?” Twilight asked. She sounded terrified. She even looked terrified. “Please tell me we didn’t get the wrong book!”

“No, no… this is indeed the right book. Sunset, Twilight, you both did wonderfully. My particular copy was...” Celestia actually seemed at a loss for words. Sunset couldn’t quite believe it. “Well, that doesn't matter. I am deeply thankful for… wait…”

“Princess?” Sunset asked.

“Well, isn’t that interesting…” Princess Celestia whispered.

Sunset risked a peek at the Princess. The Princess of the Sun no longer looked awkward. In fact, she looked… if Sunset didn’t know any better, she would have said Princess Celestia looked awestruck.

Celestia closed her eyes and seemed to draw on some inner power. The magic in the air changed somehow. It felt strange… it even tasted funny. Then, Sunset’s jaw dropped as a color she had never seen surrounded both Celestia’s horn and the book. It was… well, the only thing she could think of was a sort of greenish-yellow purple.

In a flash of light in the same insane color, a small image of a banana appeared floating above the book. Below it, there were several short lines of text Sunset couldn’t read… then it all vanished with an odd little ‘ook’ noise.

Sunset glanced at Twilight. Her eyes were huge and her glasses had almost fallen off her face.

Slowly, Sunset turned back to look at Celestia.

She was grinning. It was an outright, earnest grin. Sunset couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen the Princess look so… carefree.

It was hard to put into words.

“Once upon a time,” Celestia said, not taking her eyes off the book. “I had a visitor from a distant land. He had lost his way trying to get back home. Though it took some time for us to understand one another, we eventually both found a common love of books—though, in truth, he was of the opinion books were to be cherished and kept safe rather than actually read. After we took the time to find him a way back home, I lent him my original copy of Teahouses of Saddle Arabia. It was the original author’s manuscript, for Saffron Nabat had been a friend of mine. Quite the globetrotter she was. I knew the visitor would take good care of it.”

Sunset glanced between the book and Princess Celestia, a strange chill running over her body. “Are you saying…”

“Without knowing it, you have recovered my original edition of Teahouses of Saddle Arabia,” Celestia nodded approvingly. “Well done, both of you. Considering how long it had been, I had strongly suspected I wouldn’t see this book again, though I had every confidence the visitor would keep it safe.”

“Who was the visitor, Princess?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, dear Twilight, of all ponies, I’m quite sure you know of this individual.” Celestia’s eyes twinkled. “I never learned his full name, but I don’t think he used it anymore. He introduced himself simply as ‘The Librarian.’”

Sunset and Twilight stared at one another.

“And even if that were not the case…” Princess Celestia chuckled and stood, the book still carefully cradled in her magic. “Saffron Nabat was a special pony. The book was inspired by the Treaty of Beak and the day I met Philomena. She had written it as a gift. I thank you for bringing her work back to me.”

Then, to Sunset’s utter shock, Celestia wiped tears from both eyes, walked around so she stood between the two of them and knelt before wrapping them both in an enormous wing hug.

Twilight let out a little squeak of surprise. Sunset just sort of… melted into it. There was nothing quite like Celestia’s gentle wing hugs.

“I do hope it wasn’t too much trouble for you to acquire,” Celestia commented wryly.

Sunset looked at the grin on Twilight’s face. Then, she told Celestia the complete and honest truth.

“I think it was worth it, Princess.”

Author's Note:

Theme for Teahouses of Saddle Arabia


And so, Teahouses of Saddle Arabia comes to an end. An adventure that goes from the towers of Canterlot to the distant markets of Saddle Arabia, through corridors of magic only partially in reality, to the heights of Cloudsdale, to the deck of a great airship, only to arrive home to see our heroes are they are: themselves.

The question becomes... will that be enough? Will it be enough to survive the demons on their shoulders, the demons of their pasts and the demons waiting in their future?

I hope you've enjoyed this wild and fanciful tale. While we got to see the world of Wavelengths in a whole new light, our focus returns to three very special ponies. The first, Sunset Shimmer, being endlessly tormented by wanting what she refuses to let herself have, while still dealing with a secret future waiting for her. Twilight Sparkle, torn between two mares and her own emotions, always feeling like the odd one out and suffering in her own unique way to her demons.

As for Moon Dancer, she finds herself at a loss as to what to do. She got the one who got away, yet she knows what it's doing to her best friend. What do you do when the two most important mares in your life find themselves at such straights?

I know many of you have been crying for mercy for Sunset for some time now. I will confess, you are not alone in this. But I believe in one very important storytelling adage: "You need to earn your happily ever after."

These ponies will earn it. I ask only that you trust me. And you keep reading, of course. :raritywink:

A day is coming very soon where Sunset's techniques to "cope" with this will finally fail. And on that day, her world will change.

It might be the worst day of her life. It might also be the best.

Because we all know, there's a far greater threat just beyond the horizon. Those involved must be ready.

No matter the cost.

If you come across any errors, please let me know by PM!

Comments ( 31 )

She’d been so excited, she’d actually spilled her Earl Grey while describing the war against the blood dragons in their first Ogres and Oubliettes game after Moon Dancer had come back from Trottingham.

Firstly, that is adorable. Secondly, I find myself hoping that someone's character was named Sgt. Rex Powercolt.

I think she does have a plan for you. And if she's hiding something from you, maybe she has a good reason.

She'd better. Otherwise a bunch of angry balding apes will break down the fourth wall in their outrage.

“That’s the Orange Tang thing right?”

No, no, no, that's when Neil Armstrong found out he was only the first man on the moon.

Speaking of which, I thought for sure that Celestia was thinking of another borrower before unwrapping her gift. And possibly another book. But we'll see if Luna took any reading material with her later on, I'm sure. In any case, brilliant use of a different flavor of magic. Can't help but think of that one story where Rincewind manages to become the epitome of heroism in the eyes of two impressionable young alicorns.

In any case, fascinating story. Tantalizing hints of things to come, incredible glimpses of the wider scope of this world, and a look at the unique struggles of a nearly equilateral love triangle. At least they talked somewhat about those issues. But the matter is far from resolved, as are so many others...

Sitting alone in a crowd, the young sun and librarian relax
Questions pass back and forth, while paths untrod are explored
For one of the two, it is a question of choice
For the other, her pain and her past still chain her to guilt
Messages given from an unknown, provide not clarity, but small hope
Tales long past act as a prelude to a gift to the light
Surprises and yellow berries1 appear from a long lost friend
Child of fire take comfort in the wings of her mentor
As her long an arduous journey brings a smile to the sun


And that folks, is a wrap. We had adventure. We had drama. We had madness. We had danger and fun. We had a vorlon wearing the shape of a pony. What more do you want? (Don't answer that. I'm not sure Sunset can take anymore right now.)

It's been a wild ride. And dear Sunny probably needs at least 30 liters of Earl Grey right now (No, no, no teapot necessary. Just plug right into a vein). I'm looking forward to whatever comes next, because this is already good, and it keeps getting better.

Bravo good sir. Bravo.

1 - in plant morphology, a banana is classified as a berry. Other fruits that we eat that are classified as berries include: tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, cranberries, eggplant, and pineapple. Things that are called berries but are not true berries in a morphological sense include blackberries and raspberries (fruit type: aggregate drupe), mulberries (fruit type: multiple achene) and strawberries (fruit type: aggregate achene).

Is it wrong I'd love to see moondancer walk into a room just as Sunset and Twilight kiss. That would make for some drama.

All I can say is WOW. The exchanges, characterizations, action (in several of the previous chapters), general wrap-up and future story set-up are ALL quite well done. Not much I can say that other reviewers haven't said better, but I definitely loved how Fluttershy was incorporated into the story briefly AND how well Twilight and Sunset can work as a team. Yeah, they got put through a heck of a lot over the course of this story (and will probably be put through EVEN MORE in FUTURE stories), but if there is one positive side to this mess, it's the fact that they get a chance to get in some actual practice concerning teamwork in combat situations. That means, when Nightmare Moon returns, there is AT LEAST SOME chance they could survive long enough to create hope. And I LOVED Celestia's story at the end too.

Oh, snap. Taking in all the little hints, I think those anonymous notes are from original timeline Twilight!

Ri2

The question becomes... will that be enough? Will it be enough to survive the demons on their shoulders, the demons of their pasts and the demons waiting in their future?

No. Not even remotely.

A piece of magnificence from start to finish. The only way this could have been improved was if something had hundreds of little legs and homicidal tendencies.

I can't say I'm surprised that it turned out to be Celestia's copy. I was half-expecting that from chapter 2 or 3, I think. I was, however, surprised to hear that it was The Librarian whom she loaned it to. And in retrospect, all the times he was referenced, maybe I shouldn't have been. Maybe I missed it because I didn't realize Twilight had actually met him until this chapter, and before that, I just wrote it off as an urban myth, or something like that.

Very entertaining and enjoyable! :twilightsmile:

I absolutely adore your interpretation of how leylines and L-space manifests! Also airship bookstores... Parnassus on wings! :pinkiehappy:

“Without knowing it, you have recovered my original edition of Teahouses of Saddle Arabia ,” Celestia nodded approvingly. “Well done, both of you. Considering how long it had been, I had strongly suspected I wouldn’t see this book again, though I had every confidence the visitor would keep it safe.”

I suspected as much. Can't remember for how long, but I was thinking, "When they do get the book, it's totally gonna be the book." And what do you know? That's exactly what happened!
Also, Fluttershy is so awesome. Who else could repair winter clothing in so little time and not charge a bit for it? She should get a lifetime backstage pass to Coloratura's shows!

Welp
That was something
Biggest fanfic i've read up to date.
Great stuff. Yeah, there is a lot of back-and-fourth from "A study in Chaos Theory", but stuff like this does not resolve itself in an instant. Wavelenghts is still far from over, i'm sure Sunny and Sparky will have time to finally figure things out.

Ook indeed. Alright, I was wrong, in the short term, and as I said I would be: I am glad of it.

That ending, the very ending, was delightfully emotional and a solid pay off. Worth it? If it was worth it to Sunset and Twilight, then yes, it was. I will stifle any of my own objections on their behalf.

...Though not seeing Twi's letter, and the vague nature of Sunset's do irk me a- STIFLING NOW.

Right, so... and they are talking about it, also. IT... the only 'it' that really defines their lives just now. That's nice. Very much looking forward to how that carries over to the next volume in this epic. When Sunset breaks... will it be the mask, or the mare beneath? Or both? And can they rebuild her? Do they have the magitechnology? Here's hoping.

Though I will say... your AN confirms how dark this is. To have to go to such lengths to 'earn' your happiness? Yeesh. All the more reason to hope for a light in all this darkness... and not the train light. No, the light of a campfire, where they can all regale each other with tales of how they made it all work out. "And then Twilight smashed Aunt Brush and Loose Screw-"
"-Spring."
"...I like mine better- together so hard I thought they'd shatter! It was hilarious! Even Celestia laughed... while trying to remind us violence isn't the answer."
"It was that day!" Twilight declared while Moon Dancer snickered.
"It was that day," Sunset agreed with a grin.
*Everypony laughs*

Or you know, something similar. Regardless...

This story. Must. Continue.

Having reread this in it’s entirety in one go instead of as it released, the immersion was easier to maintain. I also caught a few rather interesting theories as to some of our...interesting book purveyors might have been.

But a lot was just precious.

No, Twilight, you cannot keep her. Though being friends with Sunny and Sunny dating Surprise means you miiiiight get to see her more.

More AK Yearling would likely have set fire to the story, mostly sand-free books and all.

Well done.

Well, I think we can sum up that ending pretty succinctly:

Narrative causality. :raritywink:

This was as intense as this series has been yet, geez. We've had action and tension before, but not nearly on this level - and we know it'll only get harder before it gets easier. At least for now they've earned themselves a break, right?

Until next time! :pinkiesmile:

10094305
10094318
10094327
The author politely suggests, at the bottom of every single chapter, that typo corrections be sent by PM rather than by comment.

Holy crapballs that was a fun ride.

What a great story!! I absolutely loved this one (along with the rest of Wavelengths) Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this and share it with us. I'm on the edge of my seat to see where the saga goes in the future!
You write a very good Sunset, (something that can be very tricky to pull off), I hope she gets her wings someday and manages to exercise her inner demons. Nightmare moon isn't going to know what hit her!! (I can imagine her being battered by both Sunny's sunfire and the harmony spire, trying to escape as a cloud of shadows and twilight pelting her with glowing books to stop her escaping) I just hope enough is left for Luna to be redeemed, I would love to see the dynamic between Luna and Sunny, they can compare their inner angry voices.
Anyhoo, I'm rambling, so I shall stop gushing now.
I hope you keep up the amazing work, and that life treats you well.

10096846
Personally, as a fimfic proofreader, I find the easiest way to point out errors is through the comment section, as that is more readily available than a personal message and indicates which chapter is in need of the edit.

Just as it is convenient for the author to not have edits clutter the comment section, so too is it more convenient for the editor to use that comment section.

Personally, I have compromised by notifying the author via pm that I pointed out edits in the comment section of this book (though personally, it seems less like a compromise and more like overkill).

This story was quite a joyfully terrifying ride. I love how all the bookstore owners are super wacky people in a timelord mafia kind of way. They also seem to be taking on the role of story curators for the very story they're in. Don't think I didn't catch how you shamelessly used them as ways to drive the plot forward. I know your tricks, and I'm still glad you pulled them out for this. And holy cow are you eager to tease us with grand mysteries. I'd say it shows just how excited you are to move the story into the next part, and I can't blame you for it. This grand story is awesome, and I can't wait to see the next chapter unfold.

I've laughed as much as I've raged and cried this one. That to me is a sign of excellence that most authors reach for but never find.

You've brought a deeper understanding of life and all its complexities to me, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

This has been the most roundabout way to return a book I've ever seen! :rainbowlaugh:

Was that orangutan also behind the destruction of Sunset's tea set that kicked this epic quest off? :trollestia:

This was an interesting story. I hope we will learn more about the significance of this journey in the future.

Amazing story! Amazing Music choice! Amazing author! :twilightsmile:

10844180
Thank you for all three! :twilightsmile:

10850401 "The truth points to itself." :derpyderp1: B5 is easily one of my favourite shows, and it's such a shame Crusade got cut short. If you haven't already read it, Sunsets Isekai has 3 chapters in the B5 universe. Go check them out if you haven't already.

10850767
The author and I are friends over our mutual love of B5!

10851174 So the answer to if you have read it is an emphatic yes! :twilightsmile: It's nice to find more B5 fans, especially like 23 years after it finished!

10851212
Babylon 5 is the greatest science fiction series of all time. JMS, the creator of B5, taught me how to tell stories. Brandon Sanderson taught me how to really write. Between these two, it's pretty damn awesome.

10954691

"I'm the original."
"Second gen is awlays better."
"Damn."

Gotta ask, is the Orangutan a reference to Planescape's Limbo Librarian? Or something else I've missed?

Also agreed, B5 is awesome. Saw it as a child with my father, can't say I remember it's intrinsicalities but I love it nonetheless :twilightsmile:

Really feels like that Sunset and Twilight has more to talk about, because this can really comeback and bite them in the flanks, and hurt Moondancer...

But really good story

Login or register to comment