• Published 8th Jul 2019
  • 2,295 Views, 484 Comments

Teahouses of Saddle Arabia - Amber Spark



Twilight and Sunset learn a very important lesson: never underestimate the eccentricities of used bookstores on a cold Canterlot night.

  • ...
13
 484
 2,295

Transit: Lower Docks

“Nothing quite like it, is there?” Whispersong said over the rushing wind.

Sunset nodded, taking the time to simply enjoy the sensation of cool air blowing through her mane. She’d forgotten what this felt like. It had been years since she’d had a chance to stand on the deck of an airship while in flight. At least this memory wouldn’t be tinged with bitterness. Not much, anyway.

With dawn only two hours away, Whispersong’s preparations to get the Lullabies—or Lullaby, as she called it—ready to set sail were nothing short of astounding.

Especially since the only crew on board seemed to be one earth pony filly and one pegasus mare, both of whom were adjusting lines on the main deck below them.

“How are you doing this?” Twilight asked to Whispersong’s right as they swept down from Cloudsdale through a series of cloud layers. “How can you possibly crew a full air clipper with only three ponies?”

“I’m a witch, of course!” Whispersong laughed as she remained on the wheel, gently shifting her vessel between air currents.

Twilight raised an eyebrow, causing Sunset to sputter with laughter. It didn’t look very imposing when the wind had completely destroyed her bun and turned her mane into something close to a flapping flag.

“Oh, I’m just having a bit of fun with you, dearie,” Whispersong said. “I’ve bought more enchantments for this ship than I can remember. I can pilot the Lullaby from here to Manehattan and back by myself!”

Whispersong placed a hoof on a series of circular posts around the main wheel. Instantly, some sort of arcane spell pattern appeared above it. The old mare deftly made a few adjustments—though she moved too fast for Sunset to figure out what she was doing—and the air clipper leveled out.

“We’ll stay on this course for about ten minutes before we descend through the last layer of clouds,” Whispersong said. “I don’t know if you’ve ever seen Canterlot in the wee hours before the dawn, but it’s a sight. Why don’t the two of you head up to the bow of the ship? Take a look over the side.”

Whispersong gave Sunset a subtle wink. Not enough to imply action, but maybe to imply something else.

“Sure,” Sunset said slowly. “If Twilight doesn’t mind?”

“Huh?” Twilight blinked and peered around, moonlight reflecting off her glasses. “Oh… uh, sure.”

The two of them slowly made their way down the stairwell on the left—port?—side of the Lullaby and passed Fluttershy. She was still adjusting lines and rigging with quick motions of her hooves and a single flap of her wings. She made it all look so effortless. Though it was definitely far more effortless now that she’d changed outfits into a simple black jumpsuit covering her body but leaving her wings free.

“Oh, um…” Fluttershy blushed when she saw Sunset looking at her curiously. “Your coats are all ready, by the way. You’ll want them once you disembark, if that’s okay. Whispersong has the warmers on for the deck, but it’ll be cold once you leave the ship.”

“Um…” Twilight scratched her head. “What about the ponies we saw dreaming?”

Fluttershy cocked her head to one side. “What about them?”

“Won’t they be upset that Whispersong left Cloudsdale without informing them?”

Fluttershy smiled softly. “Oh, no. All of them know that occasionally Whispersong needs to take the Lullaby out. We even do night cruises where some dream and others enjoy the scenery! Anyway, they’re just sleeping now. The dreams don’t last the entire night.”

“Huh,” Sunset said. “Nice arrangement.”

“Whispersong’s been doing this for a long time,” Fluttershy said with a hint of confidence, even if it was for somepony else. “She’s very good at what she does.”

“I’m sure you’re helping,” Twilight said with a smile.

Fluttershy immediately flushed red and hid most of her face behind her curtain of pink hair. “Oh, um… thank you. I really just try and do what I can…”

She let out a few squeaks and Sunset figured that was all they were going to get out of her at the moment. Sunset tugged at Twilight with a bit of her magic and they continued up the next set of stairs up onto what was called—if Sunset remembered correctly—the forecastle of the ship. Moving around neat coils of rope and a few cargo hatches, the two mares reached the tip of the bow. The only thing that lay beyond this was a long spur of wood where several long ropes connected from the ship to the balloon above.

“That’s called a bowsprit,” Twilight said absently as she pointed at the spar.

“How did you…?”

“You were staring at it like you were trying to remember the name,” Twilight said with a shrug. “I’m not very good with other ponies, but I’m at least getting better at recognizing expressions.”

Twilight leaned on the starboard side of the railing, while Sunset leaned on the port side. They were only a couple feet apart.

Sunset sighed quietly to herself. The only sounds were the rush of the wind, the creaking of the air clipper, and the chuckling in the back of her head. She couldn’t really see much at the moment, since they were between two layers of clouds. Only a scattering of stars and about half of the moon, but that was it. While the layer above them was patchy and let in the occasional beam of moonlight, the clouds below the Lullaby were solid. If Sunset had to guess, they were stormclouds, laden with snow to give the entire countryside a nice blanket of snow before Hearth’s Warming Eve.

“This has been… some night,” Sunset said in what was probably the most pathetic excuse for a conversation starter ever.

“Some night,” Twilight echoed listlessly.

It looked like Sunset wasn’t the only one consumed by her thoughts.

“I think this is the first chance we’ve got to actually take a breath all night. A real breath. Without being lost in some distant part of the world or having some ancient mystery explained to us so we could survive the next ordeal.”

Out of the corner of Sunset’s eye, Twilight nodded absently.

“Shouldn’t we use it?” Sunset asked. “Maybe… talk about what happened at Bruschetta’s? Before she found us? Or maybe about what happened in leysp—”

“No.”

Sunset blinked and turned at Twilight. For a moment, a random beam of moonlight lanced down from the side and struck the starboard side of the ship in stark relief. Sunset could have noticed a thousand different things. Instead, she only paid attention to one: Twilight looked not just tired, but weary.

“No?” Sunset prodded gently.

“No,” Twilight repeated, her voice dull. “Tonight has taken everything I have, Sunset. And if we’re lucky, it’s going to demand only a little bit more. I’m about to walk into a place I thought I would never have to go. We usually have squads of Acquisitions ponies attempt to take down Black Bookstores. And I’m going in with just you.”

Sunset remained silent.

“Things… happened tonight. A lot of things. Things I wish I’d never done. Things I’d wish I’d never seen. Things… that almost happened and I can’t decide if the ‘almost’ part is a good thing or a bad thing.” She shivered and wrapped her hooves around herself. “And that scares me even more than going into a Black Bookstore.”

“Twilight, I—”

“This isn’t something you can just process in a few minutes, Sunset,” Twilight said. She still hadn’t looked at her. “This will take time. For now, I want to end this night. I want to help you get that book. After that… I don’t know.”

Sunset wanted so desperately to protest. To beg for them to talk it out now. To at least start clearing the air between them. But as she looked at Twilight huddled there as the moonlight vanished, she found that she couldn’t.

Probably for the best. You just would have made it worse, whispered a damned little voice in her head.

Before she could even respond to that thought, Whispersong’s voice came over a speaker somewhere behind them.

“Prepare for descent to Canterlot!” she cried.

Both Sunset and Twilight held onto the railing as the bow of the Lullaby dipped into the cloud layer beneath them. In seconds, they were consumed in a soft, dewy mist. Both of them stared in wonder as the world became a dim fog, lit only by the occasional beam of moonlight, then, a few moments later, the lights of the Lullaby herself. They cruised there for at least two minutes, the only sign of their decent being nothing more than a vague tilting sensation of the deck beneath their hooves.

And then, like a flash, the ship burst from the clouds and into a wild flurry of snowflakes. Sunset laughed as she batted them away and she thought she even heard Twilight giggle a little.

When Sunset looked up, her breath caught in her throat.

Canterlot rose before them. The mountain city seemed to glow with an inner light all its own among the gently floating snowflakes. Lits by thousands upon thousands of streetlights, windows, spotlights and more, the city seemed so vibrant and alive even hours before dawn. The towers and spires of Princess Celestia’s Castle loomed over all, a great white and gold guardian of the heart of Equestria. Sunset’s eyes wandered over the city, trying to capture the moment in her mind, from the weather pegasi taking off from the southern airfields to the great waterfalls on the eastern side of the mountain. The docks were already a bustle of activity, ponies, griffons and even a few other races buzzing around as ships docked or prepared to depart.

Sunset had lived in Canterlot most of her life. And she’d seen Canterlot from the air more than once. Yet despite all that, she’d never taken the time to really look at her home. And while Twilight and her may not be in the best of places right now, she was happy Twilight was here to see this too.

Throwing caution to the wind, she reached over and wrapped a forehoof around her shoulders. Twilight didn’t resist, as she was too lost in the glory of Canterlot before dawn.

“No matter what, Twilight,” Sunset whispered. “I’m glad you’re here.”

There was a brief pause as Twilight wiped a snowflake from her eye. “So am I.”

Without another word, they watched as Whispersong brought the Lullaby into the lower Canterlot docks.

Now dressed in their fully mended coats and scarves, Twilight and Sunset smiled awkwardly as their departure from the Lullaby took a bit longer than they’d planned. Mostly, this was because Little Song wouldn’t shut up.

“You girls be safe, too!” Little Song chirped as she bounced up and down on the deck. “I hope you find what you’re looking for!”

Fluttershy tried to hide under her mane, but still smiled at the two of them. Little Song beamed as only Little Song could. And Whispersong finally gently pushed her grandfilly aside, her smile shifting to a look of encouraging confidence.

“You two be careful in there,” Whispersong said, a glint of warning in her eyes. “The owner’s name is Loose Spring—though I’m pretty sure that’s not her real name. Stay focused on what you want and get out right quick.”

“Thank you for your help, Whispersong.”

A squeak came from behind Whispersong and Sunset looked up to see Fluttershy a few feet closer to them… as if Little Song had just shoved her forward.

Little Song whistled innocently.

“Umm…” Fluttershy murmured, her ears flat, unable to look either of them in the eye. “I was just wondering… that is… if it’s not too much trouble…” She trailed off.

“Miss Fluttershy!” Little Song said in exasperation as she rolled her eyes.

“Oh!” Fluttershy squeaked again and pawed at the deck. “If… if you feel like it… someday… I’d love to… um…”

Sunset smiled warmly for what felt like the first time since she had seen Little Song cuddling a book in her sleep. “I think Rara’s having a Cloudsdale concert in a few months,” she suggested. “Maybe you’d like to attend, Fluttershy?”

“Oh my!” Fluttershy’s eyes went wide. “That would be… that would be wonderful.”

“And I’ll make sure you get to meet Coco Pommel as well,” Sunset said with a grin.

“Oh my goodness…” Fluttershy’s eyes crossed a little. She looked about ready to fall over in shock.

Twilight giggled softly.

Sunset elbowed Twilight and nodded toward Little Song. Twilight blushed a little and smiled at the filly. “No matter what anypony tells you, it’s always okay to cuddle books.”

“Hey!” Little Song protested with a huff. “I told you! I… I wasn’t—”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Twilight still does it,” Sunset interjected.

“I do not!” Twilight cried, crossing her forehooves. “I just… fall asleep with them in my forehooves!”

“Or fall asleep with your face in one.”

“That was once.”

“You mean once that I saw. I know you, Twilight. You’ve done that more times than either of us can count.”

“Shut up,” Twilight said with a pout.

Little Song’s peals of laughter echoed through the ship, though the sound was muffled by the snow still falling around them.

With that, they managed to say their final goodbyes and made their way down the gangplank onto the lower docks. A moment later, the gangplank was hoisted back aboard the Lullaby by yet another one of Whispersong’s enchantments. Both Sunset and Twilight waved goodbye as the ship pulled out of the slip and slowly turned to head back toward Cloudsdale.

“You ready?”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Please stop asking me that.”

Then she headed out toward the large series of warehouses several hundred feet away. Despite awkward conversations, Sunset still chuckled to herself as she followed the other mare.

About thirty minutes later, Sunset reflected that Canterlot tended to be a bit chilly at four in the morning before Hearth’s Warming Eve. And by ‘a bit chilly,’ Sunset meant she couldn’t feel her Harmony-blasted hooves as they trudged through the icy slush.

She shivered as they make a right turn into the eighth alley. They were still in the Lower Docks, but though she’d lived in Canterlot all her life, Sunset couldn’t have figured out where she was without anything less than a full-power seeking spell.

Not to mention that this wasn’t the safest area to be in—just because it was Canterlot didn’t mean that crime was nonexistent—between the time, the cold and the company, she wasn’t too worried.

Honestly, she was more concerned about getting frostbite than getting mugged. Plus there was the fact that she could likely handle at least half-a-dozen ponies without even breaking a sweat. And while Twilight was no battlemage, she knew her spellcraft. Sunset didn’t doubt that—despite the panic during the whole leyspace disaster—she could handle herself in a fight. After all, she now knew for sure Twilight could handle shields.

Might be worth showing her a few offensive techniques as well. She is Celestia’s student as much as me now. After all Celestia once told me my role may one day come with unexpected responsibilities. I’m just glad I’ve never had to deal with those responsibilities.

Sunset shook her head, dislodging the snow that had settled on her mane.

“Anything yet?” Sunset asked. The falling snow damped both her voice and the sound of their hooves through the alley’s slush.

“We’re close,” Twilight said as she held up the map Whispersong had given them before they’d disembarked the Lullaby. A short flare from her horn illuminated it a bit better. She stuck out her tongue and glanced around when they ended up at a three-way intersection. “This way.”

“You’re sure you’re reading that right?” Sunset grumbled, adjusting her coat. She’d actually been delighted to put on her winter clothes out of their saddlebags on leaving the Lullaby, mostly because it meant they were actually home.

“You want to try?” Twilight snapped, glaring at the paper as if it had offended her. “Anyway, you’ve got more experience with urban transit. I’m only used to Canterlot. You’ve had to deal with Fillydelphia and Manehattan!”

“We’ve both had to deal with Jeddahoof now, if that counts,” Sunset pointed out.

“It doesn’t,” Twilight muttered as she peered up into the clouds illuminated by the lights of the pre-dawn city.

Somewhere in the distance, a horn announcing a docking airship sounded off. Three short blasts replied, following by a single long note.

If we can only find that story before dawn or my hooves fall off—whichever comes sooner—that would be great.

“Wait!” Twilight said as she stopped beside an exterior boiler for some sort of tavern. “I… I think this might be it.”

Sunset looked up and down the alley. About a hundred yards further down, the alley opened up into a larger street where a few ponies were wandering around with the early-morning lethargy caused by an acute deficiency of caffeine. Behind them lay a maze of interconnected alleyways, with snow piled high on either side of the tall walls. Ten feet ahead of them there was a single narrow alleyway that led to what was probably the front door of the establishment.

They seemed to be surrounded by warehouses… save for this tavern…

“Why is there a tavern in the middle of a warehouse section in the Lower Docks?” Twilight wondered aloud as she read the sign hanging above their heads. “Especially one called the… really? The Lace Doily?

Sunset snorted and laughed. “Seems perfect for me. It’s not like we’re in the middle of the Dragonfire Industrial Sector of Philadelphia. This is still Canterlot.”

“But… but…” Twilight sputtered. “Oh… nevermind.”

Sunset smirked. “Really? You’re going to let it go that easily?”

“After all we’ve been through tonight, I think I can handle a tavern called ‘The Lace Doily.’ Anyway, we’re not supposed to go into the tavern…” Twilight turned to face the opposite wall from the boiler.

“Is this it?”

“I think so.” Twilight held up the map for Sunset to see. There was an odd construction of pipes sketched out in quick charcoal at the end of the maze-like diagram. “See?”

Sunset looked at the pipes at the picture and to the set of pipes running down the length of the old wood-and-stone warehouse wall in front of them. There wasn’t a door to be seen. There weren’t even any hoofprints in the snow. It looked like just another wall, no different than any other.

“Well, if this is a secret bookstore, they did a great job of hiding it. I never would have guessed.”

“Want to try the sigil?” Twilight asked. She bit her lip and glanced at Sunset. Her ears were down and her tail twitched a little like a nervous cat.

“You sure about this, Twilight?” Sunset asked. “You don’t have—”

“I’m not arguing this with you anymore, Sunset,” Twilight said flatly. Her ears went back up, but her tail still twitched a bit. “I’m ready for this. We’re at the end of the road. And I’m going to finish it with you.”

She smiled at Sunset, though there was still plenty of hesitation in her eyes, there was no hesitation in her voice.

“Okay,” Sunset said with a shrug. “If you insist…”

Sunset closed her eyes and focused. The arcane sigil had been immensely complex, especially since Sunset had been forced to magically ‘scan’ it multiple times to make sure she had it all. Not only that, but Whispersong had said that the order of construction was as important as the individual elements. Sunset had even discovered a few hidden elements within the sigil that weren’t visible to the naked eye. When questioned about it, Whispersong had said they were the final verification marks. Whispersong’s quizzes about the sigil had seemed to take hours after she’d agreed to take them to Canterlot, as payment for delivering the golden anklet.

Black Bookstores don’t mess around, Sunset thought. Now we get to find out if Whispersong had the right information or not…

Taking a deep breath, she pictured the sigil in her mind. Without looking, she began to trace the lines in her head with her magic in the real world. She took her time, making sure she had every line and circle down exactly as it had been in Whispersong’s cabin.

Twilight didn’t breathe a word as she worked, though Sunset did hear her friend’s hooves pacing a little back and forth.

She finally finished the last bits of spellcraft—the invisible components of the arcane sigil—and finished it with a final straight diagonal line cutting through the lower right quadrant of the diagram.

With that, she breathed a sigh of relief and opened her eyes. What floated in front of her was a perfect replica of what Whispersong had displayed to them.

“Okay, that was impressive,” Twilight murmured, looking a little flushed, though that was probably from the cold. “And all on the first try, too.”

“Well…” Sunset shrugged and tried not to look too pleased with herself. “I did have a pretty good magic teacher.”

Twilight giggled—though it was a bit high-pitched. Still, Sunset joined in.

Then, they waited.

It took almost five full minutes before the sigil did something. It shifted from teal to dark blue in the blink of an eye, then slowly floated toward the warehouse wall. As soon as it made contact, the sigil’s size shrank a little and it shifted down to slightly above Sunset’s eye level.

There was a brief flash as the sigil flared with arcane power, forcing Sunset to hold a hoof to her eyes. When she could see again, her sigil was gone, replaced by an identical symbol burned into the wood of a door that hadn’t been there before.

Other than that, there were no other changes to the alley. Sunset glanced at Twilight, who was still blinking stars out of her eyes. Another glance up and down the alley revealed no new ponies, so it looked like they were clear.

Sunset approached the door warily. The wood of the door looked ancient, as if it had been there since the city’s founding. There was a single rusted door pull set in a tarnished brass plaque. Aside from that, only the burned outline of the sigil stood out as any sort of decoration. There were no other signs or indications of what the door might lead to.

Well, that isn’t creepy or anything. At all. Still, she steeled herself and took a deep breath.

Sunset glanced at Twilight. “Ready?”

“I really wish you would stop asking me that,” Twilight muttered before biting her lip and nodding.

Sunset turned back to the door, wrapped her magic around the large metal circle and pulled.

Author's Note:

Yup. We're gonna see Flutters again in a future story! All in my notes and everything!

(P.S. Who was your favorite crew member of the Lullaby?)

A shorter chapter for everypony to take a breath before we launch into something that's been looming since they left Lost Page and the Wandering Pages!

Now... who's ready to face off against The Store?


If you come across any errors, please let me know by PM!