• Published 15th Jul 2019
  • 412 Views, 7 Comments

Rarity Investigates: Shots at Star Swirl - BoredAuthor817



Rarity is on the case as a photographer's fate hangs in the balance.

  • ...
 7
 412

The plot continues to thicken

… it's starting to resemble pudding.


Rarity looked at the festival's schedule. She thought for sure she had seen the name “Frett” on it. The question was where. Eventually, she chanced upon it. “Good,” she smiled, checking the time, “I can catch him once he's done playing.”

Arriving at the venue, Rarity came upon Rainbow Dash sitting outside.

“Everyone else leave you?” she asked.

Rainbow shook her head. “Not exactly. Applejack's coming back. They're grabbing snacks and scoping out lunch options. I'm here scoping out a spot for Tom Foolery.”

“What are you doing out here?”

Rainbow thumbed towards the stage where the concert was going on. “You don't hear that? That guy sucks!”

“Well, I'm sure we all can't be quite as awesome as you, Rainbow Dash.”

“No, this guy is seriously bad. Worst part is, he's faking it. And I don't understand why.”

Rarity frowned. “He's faking being bad?”

“Yeah. Weird, huh?”

---

Rarity was waiting when Frett walked backstage. As she moved in, someone else beat her to the musician.

“Good work,” the stranger said, patting Frett's back, “keep this up and we'll be in business in no time.”

“You really think it'll work?” the rockstar asked.

“Has to. Who wants a musician that can't play?”

“Well, well, well,” Rarity smiled, approaching the pair, “Dynamic Mic, I presume?”

Dynamic Mic frowned, “Who wants to know?”

Rarity stood tall. “The name's Rarity. I was hoping you could answer me a few questions.”

“What about?”

“There appears to have been a theft.”

“Are we suspects?”

“Not explicitly” Rarity said, coolly, “But, I understand you were on the grounds at the time. I was wondering if, maybe, you saw something.”

“Sorry,” Frett said, “I've been back here preparing for my gig all morning.”

Rarity hummed, turning to Dynamic Mic. “And what about you?”

“I've been here with Frett.”

“Interesting,” Rarity's eyes narrowed, “considering he's already signed to EQG Records.”

“What's this about?” Frett demanded.

“You've been trying to get out of your contract for a while. Now, I can see why.”

“Now look here, little missy,” Dynamic Mic wagged his finger, “We're not doing anything illegal!”

“No,” Rarity conceded, “only unethical.” She paused when something caught her eye. “Uh, Frett, I beg your pardon, but you have stains on your shirt.”

“Yeah," the musician sneered, "well I'm a messy eater.”

“But, you said you were here all morning—”

“I was” Fret growled, “This is from yesterday. I only brought one performing shirt.”

“I suggest you leave,” Dynamic Mic said sternly, “before I call security.”

With all the grace of a lady, Rarity backed away. Though, as she walked away, a nagging thought lingered in her mind. “But, those look like pudding stains...”

---

“Thanks for inviting us for pudding, Rarity.”

“Well, no point in letting Sunset and Pinkie have all the fun. And it is very good pudding.”

“Shame Rainbow Dash and Applejack are going to miss out.”

“We'll bring them around for dessert after lunch.” Rarity wrapped her arms around Fluttershy and Twilight, “In the meantime, we get to enjoy.”

Kugel's pudding truck was easy to spot. Of all the food trucks, it was the most busy.

“Guess it's become the festival's favorite” Twilight commented.

“Of course!” a familiar voice chimed from the rear, “Who doesn't like pudding?”

“Hello, Pinkie Pie” Rarity smiled, walking behind the truck, “You been here all morning?”

Pinkie Pie was whisking wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Behind her was another pudding on a rack, cooling from the oven.

“Yep!” she beamed, “Been putting in the pudding.”

“They're really good. I already had some of what Sunset was selling.”

“Oh, Kugel made those. I'm making what will be sold this afternoon.

“Oh, Rarity, I've got something for you.” She knelt down behind her workstation. “Hmm, that's odd. It was here earlier.”

“What?” asked Twilight.

“An envelope.”

Rarity's ears perked up. “An envelope?”

“Yeah, it's about so big. Sunset returned with it on her cart. I was all 'What's that?' and she was all 'I don't know.' And then figured someone probably set it down left it behind.”

“Sunset gave an envelope to you?”

“She didn't want to carry it around and risk losing it.”

Twilight folded her arms with a half-lidded stare. “Which you just did.”

“Hey,” Pinkie defended, “it gets busy back here!”

“Could you describe the envelope?” Rarity asked, “It's color? Any markings?”

“Just some pudding stains. Kheer, to be precise.”

“Transfer from the cart, no doubt...”

“I don't think so. For one thing, the envelope was on the opposite side of the cart from where that pudding was and Sunset had already sold out of that pudding by the time it appeared.”

Rarity was shocked. “How do you know that?”

“Sunset made a swing by here while crossing the grounds. There wasn't a whole bunch of that pudding to begin with, so it went rather quickly.” She was slightly startled by Rarity suddenly running away from the truck. “Hey, what did I say?”

“Everything!” Rarity called back.

---

“Sunset, I'm in need of your assistance!”

“What's up?”

Rarity laid out a series of photographs and handed Sunset a marker. “Mark out the people in these pictures in the order you saw them this morning.”

“What?”

“All of these people have a common denominator, and that's you. More specifically, the pudding you're peddling.”

Sunset still wasn't following, but completed Rarity's request. A few minutes later, she returned the photos to Rarity.

“Anything else?”

Rarity shuffled through the photos. “I think that's everything. Wait!” She held up a print, “Who's this?”

Sunset shrugged. “I dunno.”

“You gave her two numbers.”

“That's because I saw her twice. The first time, she was just walking around the grounds. The second time, she purchased some pudding.”

“Do you remember what she bought?”

“Of course! It was my first sale of the day. She bought some kheer pudding.” She pointed to another picture, “So did he.”

Rarity hummed in deep ponder. “Sunset, be a dear and round everyone up at Kugel's food truck. It's time for the big reveal!”