• Published 15th Jul 2019
  • 414 Views, 7 Comments

Rarity Investigates: Shots at Star Swirl - BoredAuthor817



Rarity is on the case as a photographer's fate hangs in the balance.

  • ...
 7
 414

Two for the price of one

… should only be applied when shopping.


Rarity scanned through her notes. “Best place to start is the last known location of the package, which you have described as a nine by twelve manila unmarked envelope.”

Pixel nodded.

“Why did you write your note on a post-it and not the envelope itself?”

“To help keep things fair and promote a blind decision.”

“Then how do you know if you won?”

“Zey haf some system vich involves printing a number on ze back of each photo,” Photo Finish explained, “Very complicated.”

Rarity let out a thoughtful hum. “Then, I believe it's time we visited the scene of the crime.”

---

The office for the festival organizers was a large RV which was parked in the far corner of the festival grounds. Not far away were the portable restrooms and the first-aid tent.

Instantly, something came to Rarity's attention. “Wait,” she said to Pixel, who was showing her the way, “the office is inside the festival.”

“Uh, yeah?”

“But, your camping in same the campground as me. That means you had to go through security to deliver the photos.”

“Yeah? Does that mean anything?”

“I'm not sure...”

“Well,” Pixel said, as they approached the RV's door, “this is it.”

Rarity reached up for the handle. “You coming in?”

Pixel teetered. “If you don't mind, I'll just wait out here.”

Stepping into the RV office, Rarity was immediately met by the receptionist and her desk.

“May I help you?” the woman greeted.

Rarity quickly introduced herself. “I'm looking into the whereabouts of an envelope.”

The woman seemed to instantly know of which Rarity was talking about. “I'll tell you what I told that other girl. There was no envelope on my keyboard when I arrived this morning.”

“What time did you come into work today?”

“About eight. It takes a while to walk here.”

“So, you don't sleep in this RV?”

“No. I have a camper in the campground.”

“And you came through security to get here?”

“That's the only entrance, but I bypass security with my employee badge.” She held up an lanyard which hung around her neck. On the end was a little laminated card which read “Event Staff” and had the name and a small picture of the receptionist.

“So, Ms. Cassette,” Rarity continued, “Do you normally leave the door unlocked when you leave for the night?”

“No,” Cassette scoffed, “of course not!”

“Then how was Pixel Pizzaz able to get in to drop off the envelope?”

If she was here before me and if she managed to get into the RV then it was probably because Laser opened it.”

“... and Laser is...?”

“Laser Disk. He's the head of the Star Swirl Music Festival. He's an early morning guy and generally here around seven. If he leaves, it's probably to get some coffee.”

“You don't have a coffee machine?”

“Sometimes, it's nice to get out of the office. Also gives him a chance to walk around the festival and see if there's anything he needs attending to.”

“Is he camping at the campground, too?”

“Yes. And gets in exactly the same way as me.”

Rarity made a few scribbles in her notepad.

“Was there anything on your desk when you came in?”

“No. The other two photographers dropped off their stuff while I was here.”

“Who came in first?”

“Raw Image. Then, Flash Sync.”

“You know about what time that was?”

Cassette pursed her lips. “About eight-thirty, quarter till nine. That's about when I called Photo Finish.”

Rarity's head bounced up. “You called Photo Finish?”

“Laser asked me. To verify she would be turning in a packet.”

“Seems a bit odd for a competition.”

“Yes," said a male voice, "but given the circumstances, I had to bend things slightly.”

Rarity made a quick turn towards the door. “Laser Disk, I assume?”

Laser smiled. “Yes, I am.” He extended his hand, “And you are?”

“Rarity. What are these circumstances you speak of?”

“The festival grounds are a bit away from town than we initially anticipated. When the photographers pointed out that they couldn't get the prints as quickly as we asked, I changed the deadline from first thing this morning to as soon as they could get them.

“When I saw that Photo Finish hadn't turned anything in, I asked Cassette to call her.” He gave Rarity a curious glance-over. “Are you an investigator?”

“Indeed, I am!” Rarity stood proudly.

Laser pointed to his office in the back of the RV. “Do you mind if we speak privately for a moment?”

The back office was darker then the front office and severely messier. Laser cleared a pile of folders and papers from the only other seat for Rarity to sit down.

Rarity quickly cut to the chase. “What can I help you with, Mr. Disk?”

Laser wavered. “I'm not sure.”

“Well, whatever it is, I take it it's something you don't want Cassette to know.”

“Yes, and no. I may be the head of the Star Swirl Festival, but Cassette is the true organizer. I'm just the one to say 'yes' and sign the cheques. She had enough going on and I don't want to add any more to her plate.”

“I was led to believe she was just the receptionist.”

“Receptionist, AP, AR, HR, Office Manager... We're a small office.”

“I see.... May I ask you a question? Why did you grant Photo Finish an extension? I have a feeling it's more than just how fast one can get a set of prints.”

Laser let out a short sigh. “I know that Photo Finish had the prints this morning.”

“How?”

“I saw her assistant walking through the festival with an envelope in-hand. I have no reason to believe Photo Finish and her crew would lie to me.”

Rarity let out a slight inward sigh in relief. “I can personally vouch for their character,” she said, firmly.

“Forgive me, but that doesn't make me feel any better.”

“I see what you mean. If Pixel Pizzaz dropped off the envelope and it's not here, then it would appear you have a thief on your hands.”

Laser Disk nodded. “I hate to think I have cut-throat photographers on my hands. But, it's also very likely that the pictures may have been taken by mistake.

“I've already alerted security. They gave me a list of everyone who was inside at the time.” He produced a printout for Rarity.

“What about employees?” Rarity asked, “They don't go through security.”

“They still have to show their badges. Same for all the performers.”

Rarity released a low hum. “Do you keep anything of value in the office?”

Laser shook his head. “Nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is also secured to prevent items from shifting when driving.”

“Petty cash?”

“We use a debit card, which Cassette is in possession of.”

“Do you know of anyone who would want to steal from you?”

“Not here.”

“Then," surmised Rarity, "we may be looking at a crime of opportunity...”

“Yes," Laser agreed, "And I fear I may not be the only victim.”